[VOTE] Release Apache Commons RDF 0.5.0 from RC1

[VOTE] Release Apache Commons RDF 0.5.0 from RC1

Sergio Fernández
Hi,

I am pleased to be calling this vote for releasing Apache Commons RDF 0.5.0
from RC1.

Apache Commons RDF aims to provide a common Java API for RDF 1.1
graphs and datasets. API bindings in Commons RDF 0.5.0 include Apache
Jena, Eclipse RDF4J, JSON-LD Java as well as a standalone
implementation (simple).

The release candidate to be voted over is available at:

http://people.apache.org/~wikier/apache-commons-rdf-0.5.0-RC1/

This is the source artifact and its checksums:
http://people.apache.org/~wikier/apache-commons-rdf-0.5.0-RC1/apache-commons-rdf-0.5.0-src.zip
sha1: 2ada00061090e9a92062271d4cba0f70823eab15
md5: 49d1866771696cf97ef796f8f5308b66

To build the release candidate (requires JDK 8, Maven 3.3), run:

mvn clean verify

To rebuild the site, use:

mvn package site

git commit: ebffdc5890a0f8523b07ff6df8afae461117f832

*https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-rdf.git;a=commit;h=ebffdc5890a0f8523b07ff6df8afae461117f832
<https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-rdf.git;a=commit;h=ebffdc5890a0f8523b07ff6df8afae461117f832>*

KEYS:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/commonsrdf/KEYS

Release notes:
*https://github.com/apache/commons-rdf/blob/ebffdc5890a0f8523b07ff6df8afae461117f832/RELEASE-NOTES.txt#L8
<https://github.com/apache/commons-rdf/blob/ebffdc5890a0f8523b07ff6df8afae461117f832/RELEASE-NOTES.txt#L8>*

This source release produces the following binary artifacts:

commons-rdf-parent-0.5.0
commons-rdf-api-0.5.0
commons-rdf-simple-0.5.0
commons-rdf-jena-0.5.0
commons-rdf-rdf4j-0.5.0
commons-rdf-jsonld-java-0.5.0
commons-rdf-integration-tests-0.5.0

Available under the following Maven staging repository:
*https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1287
<https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1287>*

Please vote on releasing this release candidate as:

Apache Commons RDF 0.5.0

The vote is open for at least 72 hours/

[ ] +1 Release this package
[ ] 0 I don't feel strongly about it, but don't object

Anyone can participate in testing and voting, not just committers,
please feel free to try out the release candidate and provide your
votes!

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons RDF 0.5.0 from RC1

Aaron Coburn
+1 (non-binding)

Checked signature, checksums
Built with JDK8 on OS X with no problems
Deployed all artifacts in Karaf 4.1 (OSGi)
License and Notice files are present

I did have some problems building with JDK9 (OS X), first with the version of the JaCoCo plugin and then later (after changing to a more recent version of the plugin) with the japicmp plugin. These would be nice things to fix, but I don't see any reason that they need to hold up this release, as the JDK8-built artifacts work just fine when running in JDK9.

Aaron Coburn
[hidden email]

On 11/1/17, 11:46 PM, "Sergio Fernández" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Bruno P. Kinoshita-3

[ X ] +1 Release this package

Build passing in Ubuntu LTS JDK 8 using git commit, site generated, no blockers in reports.

Any plans to use the changes.xml file for next releases?

I have an automated script that downloads the KEYS file from https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS, and it failed. Then re-read the e-mail and found the KEYS here https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/commonsrdf/KEYS:

Does it matter which KEYS file is used after the component has been graduated? I'm fine with the KEYS file location being in the vote thread, but just thought it would be worth checking.

Another minor nit pick: Notice file message was not updated to 2017.

Cheers
Bruno

________________________________

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons RDF 0.5.0 from RC1

Sergio Fernández
Hi,

of course, my vote for Apache Commons RDF 0.5.0 from RC1: +1 (non-binding)

Thanks for all feedback. I'll try to answer some of the comments received
so far.

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 9:49 PM, Aaron Coburn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I did have some problems building with JDK9 (OS X), first with the
version of
> the JaCoCo plugin and then later (after changing to a more recent version
of
> the plugin) with the japicmp plugin. These would be nice things to fix,
but
> I don't see any reason that they need to hold up this release, as the
> JDK8-built artifacts work just fine when running in JDK9.

I guess most of us we have quite some pending tasks regarding upgrade
/ make compatible our different source bases with JDK9.

So I've registered the request as COMMONSRDF-67.

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 4:00 AM, Bruno P. Kinoshita <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Any plans to use the changes.xml file for next releases?

Sound like a good idea to me. Registwered as COMMONSRDF-68 for the next
release.

> I have an automated script that downloads the KEYS file from
https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS,
> and it failed. Then re-read the e-mail and found the KEYS here
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/commonsrdf/KEYS:

> Does it matter which KEYS file is used after the component has been
graduated?
> I'm fine with the KEYS file location being in the vote thread, but just
thought it
> would be worth checking.

As I pointed in a previous thread, although we graduated as a component,
most of the team behind the RDF component we are not PMC members. I don't
have karma for that, but someone should add our KEYS there. I just though
the file we had during incubation was good enough.

> Another minor nit pick: Notice file message was not updated to 2017.

Do you think that could be blocking? Well, noted as COMMONSRDF-69 for now.

Thanks.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons RDF 0.5.0 from RC1

Sergio,

Are you now able to place the RC (both bin AND src zip/gz files) on
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/rdf (which is under SVN)
instead of your home folder?

Gary

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 9:46 PM, Sergio Fernández <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am pleased to be calling this vote for releasing Apache Commons RDF 0.5.0
> from RC1.
>

> Apache Commons RDF aims to provide a common Java API for RDF 1.1
> graphs and datasets. API bindings in Commons RDF 0.5.0 include Apache
> Jena, Eclipse RDF4J, JSON-LD Java as well as a standalone
> implementation (simple).
>
> The release candidate to be voted over is available at:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~wikier/apache-commons-rdf-0.5.0-RC1/
>
> This is the source artifact and its checksums:
> http://people.apache.org/~wikier/apache-commons-rdf-0.5.
> 0-RC1/apache-commons-rdf-0.5.0-src.zip
> sha1: 2ada00061090e9a92062271d4cba0f70823eab15
> md5: 49d1866771696cf97ef796f8f5308b66
>
> To build the release candidate (requires JDK 8, Maven 3.3), run:
>
> mvn clean verify
>
> To rebuild the site, use:
>
> mvn package site
>
> git commit: ebffdc5890a0f8523b07ff6df8afae461117f832
>
> *https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-rdf.git;a=commit;h=
> ebffdc5890a0f8523b07ff6df8afae461117f832
> <https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-rdf.git;a=commit;h=
> ebffdc5890a0f8523b07ff6df8afae461117f832>*
>
> KEYS:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/commonsrdf/KEYS
>
> Release notes:
> *https://github.com/apache/commons-rdf/blob/ebffdc5890a0f8523b07ff6df8afae
> 461117f832/RELEASE-NOTES.txt#L8
> <https://github.com/apache/commons-rdf/blob/ebffdc5890a0f8523b07ff6df8afae
> 461117f832/RELEASE-NOTES.txt#L8>*
>
> This source release produces the following binary artifacts:
>
> commons-rdf-parent-0.5.0
> commons-rdf-api-0.5.0
> commons-rdf-simple-0.5.0
> commons-rdf-jena-0.5.0
> commons-rdf-rdf4j-0.5.0
> commons-rdf-jsonld-java-0.5.0
> commons-rdf-integration-tests-0.5.0
>
> Available under the following Maven staging repository:
> *https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1287
> <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1287
> >*
>
> Please vote on releasing this release candidate as:
>
> Apache Commons RDF 0.5.0
>
> The vote is open for at least 72 hours/
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package
> [ ] 0 I don't feel strongly about it, but don't object
>
> Anyone can participate in testing and voting, not just committers,
> please feel free to try out the release candidate and provide your
> votes!

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons RDF 0.5.0 from RC1

Sergio Fernández

coming closed to the Commons PMC procedure, I'd like to update the vote
with the following information:

* Source release can be found in the office dist area:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/rdf/apache-commons-rdf-0.5.0-RC1/

* 0.5.0-RC1 tagged at git:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-rdf.git;a=commit;h=ebffdc5890a0f8523b07ff6df8afae461117f832

* Hashes and signatures remain as the original email.

* Added our GPG keys to the Commons file at
https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS

I hope these changes makes the PMC more conformable about voting the
release. If not, please let me know and I'll try to cut a new RC addressing
any possible issue.

Cheers,

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 6:27 PM, Sergio Fernández <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> of course, my vote for Apache Commons RDF 0.5.0 from RC1: +1 (non-binding)
>
> Thanks for all feedback. I'll try to answer some of the comments received
> so far.
>
> On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 9:49 PM, Aaron Coburn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I did have some problems building with JDK9 (OS X), first with the
> version of
> > the JaCoCo plugin and then later (after changing to a more recent
> version of
> > the plugin) with the japicmp plugin. These would be nice things to fix,
> but
> > I don't see any reason that they need to hold up this release, as the
> > JDK8-built artifacts work just fine when running in JDK9.
>
> I guess most of us we have quite some pending tasks regarding upgrade
> / make compatible our different source bases with JDK9.
>
> So I've registered the request as COMMONSRDF-67.
>

> On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 4:00 AM, Bruno P. Kinoshita <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Any plans to use the changes.xml file for next releases?
>
> Sound like a good idea to me. Registwered as COMMONSRDF-68 for the next
> release.
>
> > I have an automated script that downloads the KEYS file from
> https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS,
> > and it failed. Then re-read the e-mail and found the KEYS here
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/commonsrdf/KEYS:
> >
> > Does it matter which KEYS file is used after the component has been
> graduated?
> > I'm fine with the KEYS file location being in the vote thread, but just
> thought it
> > would be worth checking.
>
> As I pointed in a previous thread, although we graduated as a component,
> most of the team behind the RDF component we are not PMC members. I don't
> have karma for that, but someone should add our KEYS there. I just though
> the file we had during incubation was good enough.
>

> > Another minor nit pick: Notice file message was not updated to 2017.
>
> Do you think that could be blocking? Well, noted as COMMONSRDF-69 for now.
>

> Thanks.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons RDF 0.5.0 from RC1

Stian Soiland-Reyes
Thanks for the effort, Sergio! And also thanks for the clean-up, Gary!
About time for a release. (What happened to 0.4.0?)

My vote: +0 (binding): Extra files in the dist archive

Checked:  signatures, hashes, builds.

Tested with Ubuntu 16.04:
$ mvn -v
Apache Maven 3.3.9
Maven home: /usr/share/maven
Java home: /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre
Default locale: en_GB, platform encoding: UTF-8
OS name: "linux", version: "4.10.0-38-generic", arch: "amd64", family: "unix"

The commons-rdf-examples still says 0.3.0 in its pom - perhaps we
should look at a way to add the examples straight to the build so its
version numbers get updated by the release process -- however I think
it's good that it has a com.example pom.xml rather than implying to
fresh Maven users they need to use our <parent> etc.

(btw, the examples compile and run well updated at 0.5.0)

About extra files:

I see release.properties and pom.xml.releaseBackup is included in the
zip file, which is a bit odd. This implies you zipped it up manually?
This is a bit fragile..

I would expect the release file to be the same as
commons-rdf-parent-0.5.0-src.zip in the Maven repo
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1287/org/apache/commons/commons-rdf-parent/0.5.0/

That archive does not include any releasePackup files or similar. It
should also be under target/checkout/target  after you released -
probably then called apache-commons-rdf-0.5.0-src.zip because the
release profile correctly overrides the local name.

stain@biggie:~/tmp$ diff -ur from-git from-dist/apache-commons-rdf-0.5.0
Only in from-dist/apache-commons-rdf-0.5.0/commons-rdf-api:
pom.xml.releaseBackup
Only in from-dist/apache-commons-rdf-0.5.0/commons-rdf-integration-tests:
pom.xml.releaseBackup
Only in from-dist/apache-commons-rdf-0.5.0/commons-rdf-jena:
pom.xml.releaseBackup
Only in from-dist/apache-commons-rdf-0.5.0/commons-rdf-jsonld-java:
pom.xml.releaseBackup
Only in from-dist/apache-commons-rdf-0.5.0/commons-rdf-rdf4j:
pom.xml.releaseBackup
Only in from-dist/apache-commons-rdf-0.5.0/commons-rdf-simple:
pom.xml.releaseBackup
Only in from-git: .git
Only in from-git: .gitignore
Only in from-dist/apache-commons-rdf-0.5.0: release.properties
Only in from-git: .travis.yml

stain@biggie:~/tmp$ diff -ur from-git from-repo/apache-commons-rdf-0.5.0
Only in from-git: .git
Only in from-git: .gitignore
Only in from-git: .travis.yml

So the one in Maven staging repo more closely match git -- also if
it's the very same file (although different filename) a pet love of me
to easily double-check that the staging repo covers directly the
source of the RC vote.

My preference would be to put the renamed -src.zip from the staging
repo in dist and re-run the VOTE as "RC2" with same staging repo

Of course in this case there is not any harm of those extra files (and
I verified it still matched git tag and repo archive) - so just a +0
from me.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons RDF 0.5.0 from RC1

garydgregory
On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 6:46 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thanks for the effort, Sergio! And also thanks for the clean-up, Gary!
> About time for a release. (What happened to 0.4.0?)

0.4.0 was incorrectly but briefly released to Maven repos out of Nexus
without a VOTE. We decided to burn the release number to avoid confusion,
which it is causing anyway, so we need to better document this.

Gary

> [...]
> >> https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS,
> >> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/commonsrdf/KEYS:

> >> graduated?
> just
> >> thought it
> >>
> >> As I pointed in a previous thread, although we graduated as a component,
> >> most of the team behind the RDF component we are not PMC members. I
> don't
> >> have karma for that, but someone should add our KEYS there. I just
> though
> >> the file we had during incubation was good enough.

> >> Do you think that could be blocking? Well, noted as COMMONSRDF-69 for
> now.
> >>

> >> Thanks.
> >>

> --
> Stian Soiland-Reyes
> http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons RDF 0.5.0 from RC1

Stian, I made a mistake, so we preferred to skip 0.4.0 for safety.

About the release itself, that's reason enough gor me for a RC2. The I can
also align with Jena's recent release and so on. I hope to have time to
prepare it within the next couple of days. Any further feedback will be
more than welcome.

Then, please, consider this vote CANCELLED.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons RDF 0.5.0 from RC1

garydgregory
Can you please reply to this thread and change the subject to add
"[RESULT]" to the subject? This will close the thread.

Gary