[VOTE] Release Commons Codec 1.10-RC2

garydgregory
Hello All:

This is a VOTE to release Commons Codec 1.10-RC2

Changes since RC1:
- Add CODEC-121 to the RELEASE-NOTES.txt file.

Feature and fix release. Requires a minimum of Java 1.6.

Changes in this version include:

New features:

o Add Daitch-Mokotoff Soundex
  Issue: CODEC-192. Thanks to Thomas Neidhart.
o QuotedPrintableCodec does not support soft line break per the
'quoted-printable' example on Wikipedia
  Issue: CODEC-121. Thanks to Thomas Neidhart, Java John.
o Make possible to provide padding byte to BaseNCodec in constructor
  Issue: CODEC-181. Thanks to Ivan Martinez-Ortiz.

Fixed Bugs:

o Added clarification to Javadoc of Base64 concerning the use of the
urlSafe parameter
  Issue: CODEC-185. Thanks to Sean Busbey.
o Added clarification to the Javadoc of Base[32|64]OutputStream that it is
mandatory to call close()
  Issue: CODEC-191. Thanks to Igor Savin.
o Add support for HMAC Message Authentication Code (MAC) digests
  Issue: CODEC-188. Thanks to Hendrik Saly.
o Beider Morse Phonetic Matching producing incorrect tokens
  Issue: CODEC-187. Thanks to Michael Tobias, Thomas Neidhart.
o NullPointerException in DoubleMetaPhone.isDoubleMetaphoneEqual when using
empty strings
  Issue: CODEC-184. Thanks to Cyrille Artho.
o Fix Javadoc 1.8.0 errors
  Issue: CODEC-180. Thanks to Ville Skyttä.
o Fix Java 8 build Javadoc errors
  Issue: CODEC-189.

Changes:

o Deprecate Charsets Charset constants in favor of Java 7's
java.nio.charset.StandardCharsets
  Issue: CODEC-178.
o Update from commons-parent 34 to 35
  Issue: CODEC-190.

This VOTE is open for at least 72 hours until November 9 2013 at 10:00 AM
EST.

The files:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1060/

The tag:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/codec/tags/1.10-RC2

The site:

https://people.apache.org/~ggregory/commons-codec/site/

Links to versions of sites and Javadocs will be live when deployed.

Thank you,
Gary Gregory

--
E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Codec 1.10-RC2

Luc Maisonobe-2
Le 06/11/2014 15:27, Gary Gregory a écrit :
> Hello All:
>
> This is a VOTE to release Commons Codec 1.10-RC2

+1.

Take care the artifact files still contains double hash (.asc.md5 and
.asc.sha1). They should probably be removed before pushing to maven central.

Luc

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 2:37 PM, Luc Maisonobe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 06/11/2014 15:27, Gary Gregory a écrit :
> > Hello All:
> >
> > This is a VOTE to release Commons Codec 1.10-RC2
>
> +1.
>
> Take care the artifact files still contains double hash (.asc.md5 and
> .asc.sha1). They should probably be removed before pushing to maven
> central.

I delete the -src and -bin files before releasing from Nexus. Anything else
is too easy to screw up and mess up the stagging repo.

Gary

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Codec 1.10-RC2

My +1

Gary

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Codec 1.10-RC2

Emmanuel Bourg-3
Le 06/11/2014 15:27, Gary Gregory a écrit :

> o Add Daitch-Mokotoff Soundex
>   Issue: CODEC-192. Thanks to Thomas Neidhart.

Should we hold the addition of new org.apache.commons.codec.language
classes until commons-text materializes?

Emmanuel Bourg

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Emmanuel Bourg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 06/11/2014 15:27, Gary Gregory a écrit :
>
> > o Add Daitch-Mokotoff Soundex
> >   Issue: CODEC-192. Thanks to Thomas Neidhart.
>
> Should we hold the addition of new org.apache.commons.codec.language
> classes until commons-text materializes?

Short answer: no.

The package org.apache.commons.codec.language has been around for a while
already.

I could imagine, perhaps, deprecating the Codec language package _after_
Commons Text 1.0 ships.

My impression is that a Commons Text with a language package would not help
the current Codec users because these language Codecs are used in places
like Apache Solr/Lucene, but I could be wrong. IOW, deprecating could
happen in a 1.x release but could only removed in a 2.x release or other BC
breaking major release. This would force users to say on 1.x or write
wrapper code for Text as Codec codecs. That or a Codec 2 could depend on
Text.

Gary

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Codec 1.10-RC2

Thomas Neidhart
On 11/06/2014 03:27 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> This is a VOTE to release Commons Codec 1.10-RC2

my +1

Thomas

> Changes since RC1:
> - Add CODEC-121 to the RELEASE-NOTES.txt file.
>
> Feature and fix release. Requires a minimum of Java 1.6.
>
> Changes in this version include:
>
> New features:
>
> o Add Daitch-Mokotoff Soundex
>   Issue: CODEC-192. Thanks to Thomas Neidhart.
> o QuotedPrintableCodec does not support soft line break per the
> 'quoted-printable' example on Wikipedia
>   Issue: CODEC-121. Thanks to Thomas Neidhart, Java John.
> o Make possible to provide padding byte to BaseNCodec in constructor
>   Issue: CODEC-181. Thanks to Ivan Martinez-Ortiz.
>
> Fixed Bugs:
>
> o Added clarification to Javadoc of Base64 concerning the use of the
> urlSafe parameter
>   Issue: CODEC-185. Thanks to Sean Busbey.
> o Added clarification to the Javadoc of Base[32|64]OutputStream that it is
> mandatory to call close()
>   Issue: CODEC-191. Thanks to Igor Savin.
> o Add support for HMAC Message Authentication Code (MAC) digests
>   Issue: CODEC-188. Thanks to Hendrik Saly.
> o Beider Morse Phonetic Matching producing incorrect tokens
>   Issue: CODEC-187. Thanks to Michael Tobias, Thomas Neidhart.
> o NullPointerException in DoubleMetaPhone.isDoubleMetaphoneEqual when using
> empty strings
>   Issue: CODEC-184. Thanks to Cyrille Artho.
> o Fix Javadoc 1.8.0 errors
>   Issue: CODEC-180. Thanks to Ville Skyttä.
> o Fix Java 8 build Javadoc errors
>   Issue: CODEC-189.
>
> Changes:
>
> o Deprecate Charsets Charset constants in favor of Java 7's
> java.nio.charset.StandardCharsets
>   Issue: CODEC-178.
> o Update from commons-parent 34 to 35
>   Issue: CODEC-190.
>

> This VOTE is open for at least 72 hours until November 9 2013 at 10:00 AM
> EST.
>
> The files:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1060/
>
> The tag:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/codec/tags/1.10-RC2
>
> The site:
>
> https://people.apache.org/~ggregory/commons-codec/site/
>
> Links to versions of sites and Javadocs will be live when deployed.
>
> Thank you,
> Gary Gregory

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Codec 1.10-RC2

Brent Worden-2

Brent

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 1:05 PM, Thomas Neidhart <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 11/06/2014 03:27 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> > Hello All:
> >
> > This is a VOTE to release Commons Codec 1.10-RC2
>
> my +1
>
> Thomas
>

> > Changes since RC1:
> > - Add CODEC-121 to the RELEASE-NOTES.txt file.
> >
> > Feature and fix release. Requires a minimum of Java 1.6.
> >
> > Changes in this version include:
> >
> > New features:
> >
> > o Add Daitch-Mokotoff Soundex
> >   Issue: CODEC-192. Thanks to Thomas Neidhart.
> > o QuotedPrintableCodec does not support soft line break per the
> > 'quoted-printable' example on Wikipedia
> >   Issue: CODEC-121. Thanks to Thomas Neidhart, Java John.
> > o Make possible to provide padding byte to BaseNCodec in constructor
> >   Issue: CODEC-181. Thanks to Ivan Martinez-Ortiz.
> >
> > Fixed Bugs:
> >
> > o Added clarification to Javadoc of Base64 concerning the use of the
> > urlSafe parameter
> >   Issue: CODEC-185. Thanks to Sean Busbey.
> > o Added clarification to the Javadoc of Base[32|64]OutputStream that it
> is
> > mandatory to call close()
> >   Issue: CODEC-191. Thanks to Igor Savin.
> > o Add support for HMAC Message Authentication Code (MAC) digests
> >   Issue: CODEC-188. Thanks to Hendrik Saly.
> > o Beider Morse Phonetic Matching producing incorrect tokens
> >   Issue: CODEC-187. Thanks to Michael Tobias, Thomas Neidhart.
> > o NullPointerException in DoubleMetaPhone.isDoubleMetaphoneEqual when
> using
> > empty strings
> >   Issue: CODEC-184. Thanks to Cyrille Artho.
> > o Fix Javadoc 1.8.0 errors
> >   Issue: CODEC-180. Thanks to Ville Skyttä.
> > o Fix Java 8 build Javadoc errors
> >   Issue: CODEC-189.
> >
> > Changes:
> >
> > o Deprecate Charsets Charset constants in favor of Java 7's
> > java.nio.charset.StandardCharsets
> >   Issue: CODEC-178.
> > o Update from commons-parent 34 to 35
> >   Issue: CODEC-190.
> >

> > This VOTE is open for at least 72 hours until November 9 2013 at 10:00 AM
> > EST.
> >
> > The files:
> >

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1060/
> >
> > The tag:
> >
> > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/codec/tags/1.10-RC2
> >
> > The site:
> >
> > https://people.apache.org/~ggregory/commons-codec/site/
> >
> > Links to versions of sites and Javadocs will be live when deployed.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Gary Gregory

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Codec 1.10-RC2

Jörg Schaible
Hi Gary,

with IBM JDK 6 and 7 I have a failing test:

==================== %< =====================
Tests run: 17, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.023 sec
<<< FAILURE! - in org.apache.commons.codec.binary.StringUtilsTest
testNewStringUtf16(org.apache.commons.codec.binary.StringUtilsTest)  Time
elapsed: 0.006 sec  <<< FAILURE!
org.junit.ComparisonFailure: expected:<慢[�]> but was:<慢[]>
        at org.junit.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:115)
        at org.junit.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:144)
        at
org.apache.commons.codec.binary.StringUtilsTest.testNewStringUtf16(StringUtilsTest.java:172)

However, it seems to be the same problem as described in IO-253

All other JDKs pass.

Jörg