[VOTE] Release Commons Configuration 1.7 based on RC2

[VOTE] Release Commons Configuration 1.7 based on RC2

Oliver Heger-3
This is a vote to release Apache Commons Configuration 1.7 based on the
2nd RC.

There have been the following changes since RC1:
* The ant build file has been improved (many thanks to Phil!)
* The release notes mention that the optional dependency to Commons VFS
requires Java 1.5+. The page listing runtime dependencies has been
updated correspondingly.
* Minor improvements of the building page.

Tag:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/configuration/tags/CONFIGURATION_1_7RC2/

Distributions: http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc2/

Maven artifacts:
http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc2/maven/

Site: http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc2/site/

[ ] +1 release it
[ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
[ ] -1 no, do not release it because...

Vote will remain open for 72 hours.

Oliver

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Configuration 1.7 based on RC2

Oliver Heger-3
Here is my +1

Oliver
(hoping to remind others to vote as well, otherwise release will be
problematic)

On 30 August 2011 21:00, Oliver Heger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is a vote to release Apache Commons Configuration 1.7 based on the 2nd
> RC.
>
> There have been the following changes since RC1:
> * The ant build file has been improved (many thanks to Phil!)
> * The release notes mention that the optional dependency to Commons VFS
> requires Java 1.5+. The page listing runtime dependencies has been updated
> correspondingly.
> * Minor improvements of the building page.
>
> Tag:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/configuration/tags/CONFIGURATION_1_7RC2/

There are quite a few files without AL headers.
Some are generated Java files, which is OK, but there are some scripts
and other files which could and should have AL headers (assuming that
they are ASF files).

For example:

conf/digesterRules.xml

If the file is very short (e.g. one-line css file) there is no need to
add the header.

Not a blocker, but it does make checking releases harder: a lot of the
source files have

@version $Revision: nnn $, $Date: xxx $

The Date field is Locale-dependent, so my checkout of the SVN tag does
not agree with the checkout you used to create the source archive.

If you really want to see a date, use $Id: $; otherwise keep the
$Revision: $ and drop the $Date: $
Thanks.

> Distributions: http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc2/
>
> Maven artifacts:
> http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc2/maven/
>
> Site: http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc2/site/

Not a blocker, but the description uses Commons Configuration as a
noun; for trademark purposes it needs to be used as an adjective, at
least initially.

For example:

The Commons Configuration software library provides a generic configuration ...

> [ ] +1 release it
> [ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
> [X] -1 no, do not release it because...

Missing AL headers.

Release otherwise looks OK, and builds/tests using Java 1.4 with Maven 2.2.1.

> Vote will remain open for 72 hours.
>
> Oliver

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Configuration 1.7 based on RC2

Ralph Goers
I'm still traveling on vacation. I'm not sure if I will be able to test it (and therefore vote) during the 72 hour window.

Ralph

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 2:25 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 30 August 2011 21:00, Oliver Heger <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > This is a vote to release Apache Commons Configuration 1.7 based on the
> 2nd
> > RC.
> >
> > There have been the following changes since RC1:
> > * The ant build file has been improved (many thanks to Phil!)
> > * The release notes mention that the optional dependency to Commons VFS
> > requires Java 1.5+. The page listing runtime dependencies has been
> updated
> > correspondingly.
> > * Minor improvements of the building page.
> >
> > Tag:
> >
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/configuration/tags/CONFIGURATION_1_7RC2/
>
> There are quite a few files without AL headers.
> Some are generated Java files, which is OK, but there are some scripts
> and other files which could and should have AL headers (assuming that
> they are ASF files).
>
> For example:
>
> conf/digesterRules.xml

Why doesn't RAT catch this?

Gary

> If the file is very short (e.g. one-line css file) there is no need to
> add the header.
>
> Not a blocker, but it does make checking releases harder: a lot of the
> source files have
>
> @version $Revision: nnn $, $Date: xxx $
>
> The Date field is Locale-dependent, so my checkout of the SVN tag does
> not agree with the checkout you used to create the source archive.
>
> If you really want to see a date, use $Id: $; otherwise keep the
> $Revision: $ and drop the $Date: $
> Thanks.
>
> > Distributions: http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc2/
> >
> > Maven artifacts:
> > http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc2/maven/
> >
> > Site: http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc2/site/
>
> Not a blocker, but the description uses Commons Configuration as a
> noun; for trademark purposes it needs to be used as an adjective, at
> least initially.
>
> For example:
>
> The Commons Configuration software library provides a generic configuration
>
> > [ ] +1 release it
> > [ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
> > [X] -1 no, do not release it because...
>
> Missing AL headers.
>
> Release otherwise looks OK, and builds/tests using Java 1.4 with Maven
> 2.2.1.
>
> > Vote will remain open for 72 hours.
> >
> > Oliver

Thank you,
Gary

http://garygregory.wordpress.com/
http://garygregory.com/
http://people.apache.org/~ggregory/
http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Configuration 1.7 based on RC2

sebb-2-2
On 1 September 2011 22:42, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 2:25 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 30 August 2011 21:00, Oliver Heger <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > This is a vote to release Apache Commons Configuration 1.7 based on the
>> 2nd
>> > RC.
>> >
>> > There have been the following changes since RC1:
>> > * The ant build file has been improved (many thanks to Phil!)
>> > * The release notes mention that the optional dependency to Commons VFS
>> > requires Java 1.5+. The page listing runtime dependencies has been
>> updated
>> > correspondingly.
>> > * Minor improvements of the building page.
>> >
>> > Tag:
>> >
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/configuration/tags/CONFIGURATION_1_7RC2/
>>
>> There are quite a few files without AL headers.
>> Some are generated Java files, which is OK, but there are some scripts
>> and other files which could and should have AL headers (assuming that
>> they are ASF files).
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> conf/digesterRules.xml
>>

> Why doesn't RAT catch this?

The POM has been set up to exclude the conf directory tree; no idea
why as there is no comment in the POM.

I used RAT, but not via Maven, so it did not exclude the conf files.

> Gary
>

>> If the file is very short (e.g. one-line css file) there is no need to
>> add the header.
>>
>> Not a blocker, but it does make checking releases harder: a lot of the
>> source files have
>>
>> @version $Revision: nnn $, $Date: xxx $
>>
>> The Date field is Locale-dependent, so my checkout of the SVN tag does
>> not agree with the checkout you used to create the source archive.
>>
>> If you really want to see a date, use $Id: $; otherwise keep the
>> $Revision: $ and drop the $Date: $
>> Thanks.
>>
>> > Distributions: http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc2/
>> >
>> > Maven artifacts:
>> > http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc2/maven/
>> >
>> > Site: http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc2/site/
>>
>> Not a blocker, but the description uses Commons Configuration as a
>> noun; for trademark purposes it needs to be used as an adjective, at
>> least initially.
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> The Commons Configuration software library provides a generic configuration
>>
>> > [ ] +1 release it
>> > [ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
>> > [X] -1 no, do not release it because...
>>
>> Missing AL headers.
>>
>> Release otherwise looks OK, and builds/tests using Java 1.4 with Maven
>> 2.2.1.
>>
>> > Vote will remain open for 72 hours.
>> >
>> > Oliver

> Thank you,
> Gary
>
> http://garygregory.wordpress.com/
> http://garygregory.com/
> http://people.apache.org/~ggregory/
> http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Configuration 1.7 based on RC2

garydgregory
On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 7:55 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1 September 2011 22:42, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 2:25 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> the
> >> 2nd

> VFS
> >> updated

> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/configuration/tags/CONFIGURATION_1_7RC2/
> >>
> >> There are quite a few files without AL headers.
> >> Some are generated Java files, which is OK, but there are some scripts
> >> and other files which could and should have AL headers (assuming that
> >> they are ASF files).
> >>
> >> For example:
> >>
> >> conf/digesterRules.xml
> >>

> > Why doesn't RAT catch this?
>
> The POM has been set up to exclude the conf directory tree; no idea
> why as there is no comment in the POM.

Well, this sounds like a bug in the POM, no?

Gary

On 2 September 2011 01:18, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 7:55 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> the

>> VFS

>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/configuration/tags/CONFIGURATION_1_7RC2/

>> > Why doesn't RAT catch this?
>>
>> The POM has been set up to exclude the conf directory tree; no idea
>> why as there is no comment in the POM.
>>

> Well, this sounds like a bug in the POM, no?

Yes.

Am 02.09.2011 02:52, schrieb sebb:

> On 2 September 2011 01:18, Gary Gregory<[hidden email]>  wrote:

>>> the

>>> VFS

>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/configuration/tags/CONFIGURATION_1_7RC2/

>>> The POM has been set up to exclude the conf directory tree; no idea
>>> why as there is no comment in the POM.
>>>

>> Well, this sounds like a bug in the POM, no?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Gary
>>

>>> I used RAT, but not via Maven, so it did not exclude the conf files.

Some background information: This setup is there from the very
beginning. [configuration] does not yet follow the maven standards for
directory layout (this is something I would like to address in the next
release), therefore there is no explicit directory for test files. All
of them have been placed inside the conf directory.

I will add headers as needed for the non-test files. I hope they are not
required for test files. Because [configuration] is able to read
comments, this may even impact some unit tests.

Oliver

>>> configuration

>> --
>> Thank you,
>> Gary
>>
>> http://garygregory.wordpress.com/
>> http://garygregory.com/
>> http://people.apache.org/~ggregory/
>> http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Configuration 1.7 based on RC2

Phil Steitz
On 9/2/11 2:59 AM, Oliver Heger wrote:

> Am 02.09.2011 02:52, schrieb sebb:
>> On 2 September 2011 01:18, Gary Gregory<[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> Well, this sounds like a bug in the POM, no?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> Gary

> Some background information: This setup is there from the very
> beginning. [configuration] does not yet follow the maven standards
> for directory layout (this is something I would like to address in
> the next release), therefore there is no explicit directory for
> test files. All of them have been placed inside the conf directory.
>
> I will add headers as needed for the non-test files. I hope they
> are not required for test files. Because [configuration] is able
> to read comments, this may even impact some unit tests.

I am sorry, Oliver, I did not get to testing this until now.  Are
you rolling another RC including the added headers?  Looks like you
made some other changes as well.  Sorry for missing the gong on the
vote.

Phil

Am 04.09.2011 17:27, schrieb Phil Steitz:

> On 9/2/11 2:59 AM, Oliver Heger wrote:
>> Am 02.09.2011 02:52, schrieb sebb:

>>> Yes.

>> Some background information: This setup is there from the very
>> beginning. [configuration] does not yet follow the maven standards
>> for directory layout (this is something I would like to address in
>> the next release), therefore there is no explicit directory for
>> test files. All of them have been placed inside the conf directory.
>>
>> I will add headers as needed for the non-test files. I hope they
>> are not required for test files. Because [configuration] is able
>> to read comments, this may even impact some unit tests.
>
> I am sorry, Oliver, I did not get to testing this until now.  Are
> you rolling another RC including the added headers?  Looks like you
> made some other changes as well.  Sorry for missing the gong on the
> vote.

My fault, because I did not explicitly cancel the vote.

Yes, I am going to roll another RC soon.

Thanks
Oliver