[VOTE] Release Commons Configuration 1.7 based on RC3

[VOTE] Release Commons Configuration 1.7 based on RC3

Oliver Heger-3
This is a vote to release Apache Commons Configuration 1.7 based on the
3rd RC.

There have been the following changes since RC2:
* Some files in the conf directory have been added Apache license
headers. (Note that the majority of files in this folder are simple test
files used by unit tests and do not have license headers.)
* Minor changes in the wording of the site and the release notes related
to trademark policy as suggested by sebb.

Tag:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/configuration/tags/CONFIGURATION_1_7RC3/

Distributions: http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc3/

Maven artifacts:
http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc3/maven/

Site: http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc3/site/

[ ] +1 release it
[ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
[ ] -1 no, do not release it because...

Vote will remain open for 72 hours.

Oliver

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Configuration 1.7 based on RC3

Simone Tripodi-2
Hallo Oliver,
I'm reviewing the tag and, sorry for not having noticed before, is
there any reason why the Digester is still at 1.8 version?
Upgrade to at least 2.1 should be painless enough, even if an upgrade
to 3.0 would be nicer :P
Anyway, not a blocker, just the time of reviewing all the stuff and
express my vote :)
Have a nice day, all the best!
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 9:40 PM, Oliver Heger
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is a vote to release Apache Commons Configuration 1.7 based on the 3rd
> RC.
>
> There have been the following changes since RC2:
> * Some files in the conf directory have been added Apache license headers.
> (Note that the majority of files in this folder are simple test files used
> by unit tests and do not have license headers.)
> * Minor changes in the wording of the site and the release notes related to
> trademark policy as suggested by sebb.
>
> Tag:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/configuration/tags/CONFIGURATION_1_7RC3/
>
> Distributions: http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc3/
>
> Maven artifacts:
> http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc3/maven/
>
> Site: http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc3/site/
>
> [ ] +1 release it
> [ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
> [ ] -1 no, do not release it because...
>
> Vote will remain open for 72 hours.
>
> Oliver

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Configuration 1.7 based on RC3

David Karlsen
+1 to upgrading
Den 4. sep. 2011 21:52 skrev "Simone Tripodi" <[hidden email]>
følgende:

> Hallo Oliver,
> I'm reviewing the tag and, sorry for not having noticed before, is
> there any reason why the Digester is still at 1.8 version?
> Upgrade to at least 2.1 should be painless enough, even if an upgrade
> to 3.0 would be nicer :P
> Anyway, not a blocker, just the time of reviewing all the stuff and
> express my vote :)
> Have a nice day, all the best!
> Simo

> http://www.99soft.org/
>

> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 9:40 PM, Oliver Heger
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This is a vote to release Apache Commons Configuration 1.7 based on the
3rd
>> RC.
>>
>> There have been the following changes since RC2:
>> * Some files in the conf directory have been added Apache license
headers.
>> (Note that the majority of files in this folder are simple test files
used
>> by unit tests and do not have license headers.)
>> * Minor changes in the wording of the site and the release notes related
>> trademark policy as suggested by sebb.
>>
>> Tag:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/configuration/tags/CONFIGURATION_1_7RC3/

>> Distributions: http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc3/
>>
>> Maven artifacts:
>> http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc3/maven/
>>
>> Site: http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc3/site/
>>
>> [ ] +1 release it
>> [ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
>> [ ] -1 no, do not release it because...
>>
>> Vote will remain open for 72 hours.
>>
>> Oliver

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Configuration 1.7 based on RC3

I'm all for updating to the latest and greatest of all components.

Gary

On Sep 4, 2011, at 15:41, Oliver Heger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is a vote to release Apache Commons Configuration 1.7 based on the 3rd RC.
>
> There have been the following changes since RC2:
> * Some files in the conf directory have been added Apache license headers. (Note that the majority of files in this folder are simple test files used by unit tests and do not have license headers.)
> * Minor changes in the wording of the site and the release notes related to trademark policy as suggested by sebb.
>
> Tag: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/configuration/tags/CONFIGURATION_1_7RC3/
>
> Distributions: http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc3/
>
> Maven artifacts: http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc3/maven/
>
> Site: http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc3/site/
>
> [ ] +1 release it
> [ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
> [ ] -1 no, do not release it because...
>
> Vote will remain open for 72 hours.
>
> Oliver

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Configuration 1.7 based on RC3

garydgregory
Or maybe we should push this one out and then update everything in trunk...

So +1 from me with a note that src/site/xdoc/style/project.css should have a
license header for completness' sake for the next go around (it's a one
liner file I know ;)

Gary

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm all for updating to the latest and greatest of all components.
>
> Gary
>
> On Sep 4, 2011, at 15:41, Oliver Heger <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > This is a vote to release Apache Commons Configuration 1.7 based on the
> 3rd RC.
> >
> > There have been the following changes since RC2:
> > * Some files in the conf directory have been added Apache license
> headers. (Note that the majority of files in this folder are simple test
> files used by unit tests and do not have license headers.)
> > * Minor changes in the wording of the site and the release notes related
> to trademark policy as suggested by sebb.
> >
> > Tag:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/configuration/tags/CONFIGURATION_1_7RC3/
> >
> > Distributions: http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc3/
> >
> > Maven artifacts:
> http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc3/maven/
> >
> > Site: http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc3/site/
> >
> > [ ] +1 release it
> > [ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
> > [ ] -1 no, do not release it because...
> >
> > Vote will remain open for 72 hours.
> >
> > Oliver

E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
JUnit in Action, 2nd Ed: http://s.apache.org/rl
Spring Batch in Action: http://s.apache.org/HOq
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Configuration 1.7 based on RC3

Oliver Heger-3
Hi Gary,

Am 05.09.2011 19:27, schrieb Gary Gregory:
> Or maybe we should push this one out and then update everything in trunk...

this was indeed my plan. The last version came out in December 2008, so
a release is overdue.

I hope to be able to work on a version 1.8 afterwards which targets Java
1.5 - no big changes, but some polishing of the API which can hopefully
be binary compatible. This is a good opportunity to update all
dependencies to the newest Commons components which are already on Java 1.5.

> So +1 from me with a note that src/site/xdoc/style/project.css should have a
> license header for completness' sake for the next go around (it's a one
> liner file I know ;)

Thanks.
Oliver

> Gary
>
> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Gary Gregory<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> I'm all for updating to the latest and greatest of all components.
>>
>> Gary
>>
>> On Sep 4, 2011, at 15:41, Oliver Heger<[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> This is a vote to release Apache Commons Configuration 1.7 based on the
>> 3rd RC.
>>>
>>> There have been the following changes since RC2:
>>> * Some files in the conf directory have been added Apache license
>> headers. (Note that the majority of files in this folder are simple test
>> files used by unit tests and do not have license headers.)
>>> * Minor changes in the wording of the site and the release notes related
>> to trademark policy as suggested by sebb.
>>>
>>> Tag:
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/configuration/tags/CONFIGURATION_1_7RC3/
>>>
>>> Distributions: http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc3/
>>>
>>> Maven artifacts:
>> http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc3/maven/
>>>
>>> Site: http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc3/site/
>>>
>>> [ ] +1 release it
>>> [ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
>>> [ ] -1 no, do not release it because...
>>>
>>> Vote will remain open for 72 hours.
>>>
>>> Oliver

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Configuration 1.7 based on RC3

Oliver Heger-3
Hi Simone,

IIUC Digester 2.x requires JDK 1.5 while this version of Configuration
still targets 1.4. My plan is that the next version will go for 1.5,
then we will of course update the dependencies.

Please see also my response to Gary's mail.

Oliver

On 5 September 2011 18:27, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Or maybe we should push this one out and then update everything in trunk...
>
> So +1 from me with a note that src/site/xdoc/style/project.css should have a
> license header for completness' sake for the next go around (it's a one
> liner file I know ;)

It's not necessary to add an AL header to such a short file.

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 2:05 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5 September 2011 18:27, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Or maybe we should push this one out and then update everything in
> trunk...
> >
> > So +1 from me with a note that src/site/xdoc/style/project.css should
> have a
> > license header for completness' sake for the next go around (it's a one
> > liner file I know ;)
>
> It's not necessary to add an AL header to such a short file.

But it's nice to be consistent and not have to consider this file as a
special case because the line count is less than X when evaluating a RAT
report. ;)

At what line count do we need a license header?

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Configuration 1.7 based on RC3

Simone Tripodi-2
Hi Oliver,
sorry for question, I didn't pay enough attention on JVM compliance
level, sorry :(

+1 for the release:

 * build worked
 * gpg signatures are ok
 * checksums are ok
 * documentation site looks good

thanks for the hard work on configuration!
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 8:33 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 2:05 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 5 September 2011 18:27, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Or maybe we should push this one out and then update everything in
>> trunk...
>> >
>> > So +1 from me with a note that src/site/xdoc/style/project.css should
>> have a
>> > license header for completness' sake for the next go around (it's a one
>> > liner file I know ;)
>>
>> It's not necessary to add an AL header to such a short file.
>>

> But it's nice to be consistent and not have to consider this file as a
> special case because the line count is less than X when evaluating a RAT
> report. ;)
>
> At what line count do we need a license header?
>
> Gary
>

>> > Gary

>> the

>> related

>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/configuration/tags/CONFIGURATION_1_7RC3/

>> > --
>> > E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
>> > JUnit in Action, 2nd Ed: http://s.apache.org/rl
>> > Spring Batch in Action: http://s.apache.org/HOq
>> > Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
>> > Home: http://garygregory.com/
>> > Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

> JUnit in Action, 2nd Ed: http://s.apache.org/rl
> Spring Batch in Action: http://s.apache.org/HOq
> Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
> Home: http://garygregory.com/
> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Configuration 1.7 based on RC3

Phil Steitz

Sigs, hashes, release contents are good.

Tested build on Apple 1.6.0_26, BlackDown 1.4.2, Sun 1.4.2_19 , Sun
1.5.0_22, Sun 1.6.0_17, rockit 1.4.2,  Jrockit 1.5.0, Jrockit 1.6.0
using Ant for the 1.4 jdks and Ubuntu for all but the first test.

Nice work!

Phil

On 5 September 2011 19:33, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 2:05 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 5 September 2011 18:27, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Or maybe we should push this one out and then update everything in
>> trunk...
>> >
>> > So +1 from me with a note that src/site/xdoc/style/project.css should
>> have a
>> > license header for completness' sake for the next go around (it's a one
>> > liner file I know ;)
>>
>> It's not necessary to add an AL header to such a short file.
>>

> But it's nice to be consistent and not have to consider this file as a
> special case because the line count is less than X when evaluating a RAT
> report. ;)

Yes, I filed an enhancement request for RAT to ignore one-line files.

As a work-round you could exclude the css file from the RAT report.

> At what line count do we need a license header?

When there is enough to be copyrightable.

http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#faq-exceptions

> Gary
>

>> > Gary

>> the

>> related

>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/configuration/tags/CONFIGURATION_1_7RC3/

>> > --
>> > E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
>> > JUnit in Action, 2nd Ed: http://s.apache.org/rl
>> > Spring Batch in Action: http://s.apache.org/HOq
>> > Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
>> > Home: http://garygregory.com/
>> > Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

> JUnit in Action, 2nd Ed: http://s.apache.org/rl
> Spring Batch in Action: http://s.apache.org/HOq
> Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
> Home: http://garygregory.com/
> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

[RESULT] Release Commons Configuration 1.7 based on RC3

Oliver Heger-3
This vote has passed with binding +1 votes by the following people:

Simone Tripodi
Gary Gregory
Phil Steitz

(and my implicit +1 vote. There were no other votes.)

Thanks to all who voted and gave feedback. I will start with the release
procedure soon.

Oliver