[VOTE] Release Commons JCS 2.2.1 based on RC3

[VOTE] Release Commons JCS 2.2.1 based on RC3

Romain Manni-Bucau
As discussed quite verbosely already I'd like to release JCS 2.2.1. I
followed the commons procedure this time and hope it works for you.

JCS 2.2.1 RC3 is available for review here:
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/jcs/ (svn revision 23702)

The tag is here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/jcs/tags/commons-jcs-2.2.1-RC3/
(svn revision 1817933)

Maven artifacts are here:
    https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1298

I have tested this with JDK 7, 8 using Maven 3.5.0.

Details of changes since 2.2 are in the release notes:
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/jcs/RELEASE-NOTES.txt

http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-RC3/changes-report.html

Site:
        http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-RC3/

Clirr Report (compared to 2.2):

http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-RC3/commons-jcs-core/clirr-report.html

RAT Report:

http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-RC3/rat-report.html
(the zipcodes.txt file is intended to not have headers)

KEYS:
  https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS

Please review the release candidate and vote.
This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now,
i.e. sometime after 08:15 UTC 16-December 2017

  [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
  [ ] +-0 Don't care
  [ ] -1 I oppose this release ${because}

Thanks!
Romain

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons JCS 2.2.1 based on RC3

Bruno P. Kinoshita-3
Hi,

Building from tag with `mvn clean install`. Build passing OK with Java 8, with the following environment settings:

Apache Maven 3.5.2 (138edd61fd100ec658bfa2d307c43b76940a5d7d; 2017-10-18T20:58:13+13:00)
Maven home: /opt/apache-maven-3.5.2
Java home: /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre
Default locale: en_NZ, platform encoding: UTF-8
OS name: "linux", version: "4.4.0-103-generic", arch: "amd64", family: "unix"

Checked signatures from Maven artefacts. Everything looks OK.

There is some strange text in the release notes at the dist files and at the dist area (https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/jcs/RELEASE-NOTES.txt)

--- snip ---

$release.description.replaceAll("  ", "
")
--- snip ---

Not sure if intentional, but I think it was some script that didn't run correctly? Don't have enough experience with the release process to tell whether that's correct or not, nor what could have happened exactly, sorry. Is it a blocker?

Could not create the site with `mvn clean test site` due to Java 8 issues in Javadocs, and found nothing in the BUILDING.txt. So built the site with `mvn clean test install site -Dmaven.javadoc.skip=true`

Reports look good, found no blockers. Few more PMD issues in one of the modules, but look like simple warnings.

Unless the release notes is a blocker, I'm ready to cast a vote in favor to release it (-:

Thanks for preparing the release Romain

Cheers
Bruno

________________________________

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons JCS 2.2.1 based on RC3

Oliver Heger-3

thank you for your patience.

Build works fine with Java 1.7 on Windows 10 (because of the Java 8
Javadoc errors I built the site with 1.7).

I have some minor findings:
- As Bruno already noticed, the release notes contain this strange text.
- In README.md the current version for the dependency should be updated.
- The jars with the sources contain spurious folders.
- There are many Findbugs violations.

The text in the release notes is really annoying, the other things are
not really blocking. But in total it prevents me from voting +1. So I am
rather +0.

Oliver

Am 13.12.2017 um 09:02 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau:

> As discussed quite verbosely already I'd like to release JCS 2.2.1. I
> followed the commons procedure this time and hope it works for you.
>
> JCS 2.2.1 RC3 is available for review here:
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/jcs/ (svn revision 23702)
>
> The tag is here:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/jcs/tags/commons-jcs-2.2.1-RC3/
> (svn revision 1817933)
>
> Maven artifacts are here:
>     https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1298
>
> I have tested this with JDK 7, 8 using Maven 3.5.0.
>
> Details of changes since 2.2 are in the release notes:
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/jcs/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>
> http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-RC3/changes-report.html
>
> Site:
>         http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-RC3/
>
> Clirr Report (compared to 2.2):
>
> http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-RC3/commons-jcs-core/clirr-report.html
>
> RAT Report:
>
> http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-RC3/rat-report.html
> (the zipcodes.txt file is intended to not have headers)
>
> KEYS:
>   https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
>
> Please review the release candidate and vote.
> This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now,
> i.e. sometime after 08:15 UTC 16-December 2017
>
>   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
>   [ ] +-0 Don't care
>   [ ] -1 I oppose this release ${because}
>
> Thanks!
> Romain

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons JCS 2.2.1 based on RC3

garydgregory
On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 2:03 PM, Oliver Heger <[hidden email]>

> thank you for your patience.
>
> Build works fine with Java 1.7 on Windows 10 (because of the Java 8
> Javadoc errors I built the site with 1.7).
>
> I have some minor findings:
> - As Bruno already noticed, the release notes contain this strange text.
> - In README.md the current version for the dependency should be updated.
> - The jars with the sources contain spurious folders.
> - There are many Findbugs violations.

I see FindBugs violations now in 2.2. The question is: Did 2.2.1 introduce
new violations and should these be considered blockers?

Gary

> The text in the release notes is really annoying, the other things are
> not really blocking. But in total it prevents me from voting +1. So I am
> rather +0.
>
> Oliver
>
> Am 13.12.2017 um 09:02 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau:
> > As discussed quite verbosely already I'd like to release JCS 2.2.1. I
> > followed the commons procedure this time and hope it works for you.
> >
> > JCS 2.2.1 RC3 is available for review here:
> >     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/jcs/ (svn revision
> 23702)
> >
> > The tag is here:
> >
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/jcs/tags/
> commons-jcs-2.2.1-RC3/
> > (svn revision 1817933)
> >
> > Maven artifacts are here:
> >     https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
> orgapachecommons-1298
> >
> > I have tested this with JDK 7, 8 using Maven 3.5.0.
> >
> > Details of changes since 2.2 are in the release notes:
> >     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/jcs/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
> >
> > http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-
> RC3/changes-report.html
> >
> > Site:
> >         http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-RC3/
> >
> > Clirr Report (compared to 2.2):
> >
> > http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-
> RC3/commons-jcs-core/clirr-report.html
> >
> > RAT Report:
> >
> > http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-
> RC3/rat-report.html
> > (the zipcodes.txt file is intended to not have headers)
> >
> > KEYS:
> >   https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
> >
> > Please review the release candidate and vote.
> > This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now,
> > i.e. sometime after 08:15 UTC 16-December 2017
> >
> >   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
> >   [ ] +-0 Don't care
> >   [ ] -1 I oppose this release ${because}
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Romain

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons JCS 2.2.1 based on RC3

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 2:03 PM, Oliver Heger <[hidden email]>

> thank you for your patience.
>
> Build works fine with Java 1.7 on Windows 10 (because of the Java 8
> Javadoc errors I built the site with 1.7).
>
> I have some minor findings:
> - As Bruno already noticed, the release notes contain this strange text.
> - In README.md the current version for the dependency should be updated.
> - The jars with the sources contain spurious folders.

Can you be more specific please?

Gary

> - There are many Findbugs violations.
>
> The text in the release notes is really annoying, the other things are
> not really blocking. But in total it prevents me from voting +1. So I am
> rather +0.
>
> Oliver
>
> Am 13.12.2017 um 09:02 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau:
> > As discussed quite verbosely already I'd like to release JCS 2.2.1. I
> > followed the commons procedure this time and hope it works for you.
> >
> > JCS 2.2.1 RC3 is available for review here:
> >     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/jcs/ (svn revision
> 23702)
> >
> > The tag is here:
> >
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/jcs/tags/
> commons-jcs-2.2.1-RC3/
> > (svn revision 1817933)
> >
> > Maven artifacts are here:
> >     https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
> orgapachecommons-1298
> >
> > I have tested this with JDK 7, 8 using Maven 3.5.0.
> >
> > Details of changes since 2.2 are in the release notes:
> >     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/jcs/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
> >
> > http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-
> RC3/changes-report.html
> >
> > Site:
> >         http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-RC3/
> >
> > Clirr Report (compared to 2.2):
> >
> > http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-
> RC3/commons-jcs-core/clirr-report.html
> >
> > RAT Report:
> >
> > http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-
> RC3/rat-report.html
> > (the zipcodes.txt file is intended to not have headers)
> >
> > KEYS:
> >   https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
> >
> > Please review the release candidate and vote.
> > This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now,
> > i.e. sometime after 08:15 UTC 16-December 2017
> >
> >   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
> >   [ ] +-0 Don't care
> >   [ ] -1 I oppose this release ${because}
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Romain

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons JCS 2.2.1 based on RC3

Looking at the release notes, I see junk in the text:

$release.description.replaceAll(" ", "

")

There is also a missing Jira reference for:

o           Unexpected dispose() in CompositeCacheManager.release()
Thanks to athun.

These are not blockers but not very "pro" either :-(

If this vote passes, I expect that the release notes file will be manually
fixed.

Typo in "JCS 2.0 and onwards now targets Java 6.0". The reference to Java
should be "Java 6", not "Java 6.0".

From the src zip file: ASC, MD5, SHA1 OK.

Running 'mvn clean install' works with:

Apache Maven 3.5.2 (138edd61fd100ec658bfa2d307c43b76940a5d7d;
2017-10-18T01:58:13-06:00) Maven home: C:\Java\apache-maven-3.5.2\bin\..
Java version: 1.7.0_80, vendor: Oracle Corporation Java home: C:\Program
Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_80\jre Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: Cp1252
OS name: "windows 8.1", version: "6.3", arch: "amd64", family: "windows"

I am guessing that all of the .md files need to be regenerated since I see
"<version>2.2</version>" in README.md.

The NOTICE file looks good.

I do not see hard blockers here but there are still details that make this
RC lack polish, so I am +0.

Gary

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 1:02 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> As discussed quite verbosely already I'd like to release JCS 2.2.1. I
> followed the commons procedure this time and hope it works for you.
>
> JCS 2.2.1 RC3 is available for review here:
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/jcs/ (svn revision
> 23702)
>
> The tag is here:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/jcs/tags/
> commons-jcs-2.2.1-RC3/
> (svn revision 1817933)
>
> Maven artifacts are here:
>     https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
> orgapachecommons-1298
>
> I have tested this with JDK 7, 8 using Maven 3.5.0.
>
> Details of changes since 2.2 are in the release notes:
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/jcs/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>
> http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-
> RC3/changes-report.html
>
> Site:
>         http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-RC3/
>
> Clirr Report (compared to 2.2):
>
> http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-
> RC3/commons-jcs-core/clirr-report.html
>
> RAT Report:
>
> http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-RC3/rat-report.html
> (the zipcodes.txt file is intended to not have headers)
>
> KEYS:
>   https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
>
> Please review the release candidate and vote.
> This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now,
> i.e. sometime after 08:15 UTC 16-December 2017
>
>   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
>   [ ] +-0 Don't care
>   [ ] -1 I oppose this release ${because}
>
> Thanks!
> Romain

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons JCS 2.2.1 based on RC3

Bruno P. Kinoshita-3
Seeing other comments and votes, I believe there are no blockers, just a few things that need to be fixed.

So +0

Cheers
Bruno

________________________________

Am 14.12.2017 um 01:38 schrieb Gary Gregory:

> On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 2:03 PM, Oliver Heger <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> thank you for your patience.
>>
>> Build works fine with Java 1.7 on Windows 10 (because of the Java 8
>> Javadoc errors I built the site with 1.7).
>>
>> I have some minor findings:
>> - As Bruno already noticed, the release notes contain this strange text.
>> - In README.md the current version for the dependency should be updated.
>> - The jars with the sources contain spurious folders.
>>

> Can you be more specific please?

If you open for instance commons-jcs-core-2.2.1-sources.jar from the
binary distribution, the jar contains a folder with an empty name and
one empty folder named "commons-jcs-core-2.2.1-sources". The folder with
the empty name has a path of sub folders down to
commons-jcs-core-2.2.1-sources.jar\\tmp\commons-jcs-2.2.1-RC3\commons-jcs-core\target\classes\META-INF\

Oliver

> Gary
>

>> - There are many Findbugs violations.
>>
>> The text in the release notes is really annoying, the other things are
>> not really blocking. But in total it prevents me from voting +1. So I am
>> rather +0.
>>
>> Oliver
>>
>> Am 13.12.2017 um 09:02 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau:
>>> As discussed quite verbosely already I'd like to release JCS 2.2.1. I
>>> followed the commons procedure this time and hope it works for you.
>>>
>>> JCS 2.2.1 RC3 is available for review here:
>>>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/jcs/ (svn revision
>> 23702)
>>>
>>> The tag is here:
>>>
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/jcs/tags/
>> commons-jcs-2.2.1-RC3/
>>> (svn revision 1817933)
>>>
>>> Maven artifacts are here:
>>>     https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
>> orgapachecommons-1298
>>>
>>> I have tested this with JDK 7, 8 using Maven 3.5.0.
>>>
>>> Details of changes since 2.2 are in the release notes:
>>>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/jcs/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>>>
>>> http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-
>> RC3/changes-report.html
>>>
>>> Site:
>>>         http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-RC3/
>>>
>>> Clirr Report (compared to 2.2):
>>>
>>> http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-
>> RC3/commons-jcs-core/clirr-report.html
>>>
>>> RAT Report:
>>>
>>> http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-
>> RC3/rat-report.html
>>> (the zipcodes.txt file is intended to not have headers)
>>>
>>> KEYS:
>>>   https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
>>>
>>> Please review the release candidate and vote.
>>> This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now,
>>> i.e. sometime after 08:15 UTC 16-December 2017
>>>
>>>   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
>>>   [ ] +-0 Don't care
>>>   [ ] -1 I oppose this release ${because}
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Romain

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons JCS 2.2.1 based on RC3

garydgregory
On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 1:32 PM, Oliver Heger <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Am 14.12.2017 um 01:38 schrieb Gary Gregory:
> > On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 2:03 PM, Oliver Heger <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> thank you for your patience.
> >>
> >> Build works fine with Java 1.7 on Windows 10 (because of the Java 8
> >> Javadoc errors I built the site with 1.7).
> >>
> >> I have some minor findings:
> >> - As Bruno already noticed, the release notes contain this strange text.
> >> - In README.md the current version for the dependency should be updated.
> >> - The jars with the sources contain spurious folders.
> >>

> > Can you be more specific please?
>
> If you open for instance commons-jcs-core-2.2.1-sources.jar from the
> binary distribution, the jar contains a folder with an empty name and
> one empty folder named "commons-jcs-core-2.2.1-sources". The folder with
> the empty name has a path of sub folders down to
> commons-jcs-core-2.2.1-sources.jar\\tmp\commons-jcs-
> 2.2.1-RC3\commons-jcs-core\target\classes\META-INF\

Yuck! ;-)

Gary

> Oliver
>

> > Gary
> >

> >> - There are many Findbugs violations.
> >>
> >> The text in the release notes is really annoying, the other things are
> >> not really blocking. But in total it prevents me from voting +1. So I am
> >> rather +0.
> >>
> >> Oliver

> >> 23702)

> >> commons-jcs-2.2.1-RC3/

> >> orgapachecommons-1298

> NOTES.txt

> >> RC3/changes-report.html

> >> RC3/commons-jcs-core/clirr-report.html

> >> RC3/rat-report.html

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons JCS 2.2.1 based on RC3

Romain Manni-Bucau
Wonder how this one can happen

Le 14 déc. 2017 22:10, "Gary Gregory" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 1:32 PM, Oliver Heger <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> > Am 14.12.2017 um 01:38 schrieb Gary Gregory:
> > > On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 2:03 PM, Oliver Heger <
> > [hidden email]>

> text.
> updated.
> > >>

> > > Can you be more specific please?
> >
> > If you open for instance commons-jcs-core-2.2.1-sources.jar from the
> > binary distribution, the jar contains a folder with an empty name and
> > one empty folder named "commons-jcs-core-2.2.1-sources". The folder with
> > the empty name has a path of sub folders down to
> > commons-jcs-core-2.2.1-sources.jar\\tmp\commons-jcs-
> > 2.2.1-RC3\commons-jcs-core\target\classes\META-INF\
> >

> Yuck! ;-)
>
> Gary
>

> > Oliver
> >

> > > Gary

> am

> revision

> > NOTES.txt

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons JCS 2.2.1 based on RC3

sebb-2-2
On 14 December 2017 at 21:58, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Wonder how this one can happen

Unclean workspace?

RCs should be built from a clean checkout of the tag.

> Le 14 déc. 2017 22:10, "Gary Gregory" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>> On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 1:32 PM, Oliver Heger <
>> [hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>> > [hidden email]>

>> text.
>> updated.

>> > If you open for instance commons-jcs-core-2.2.1-sources.jar from the
>> > binary distribution, the jar contains a folder with an empty name and
>> > one empty folder named "commons-jcs-core-2.2.1-sources". The folder with
>> > the empty name has a path of sub folders down to
>> > commons-jcs-core-2.2.1-sources.jar\\tmp\commons-jcs-
>> > 2.2.1-RC3\commons-jcs-core\target\classes\META-INF\
>> >

>> Yuck! ;-)
>>
>> Gary
>>

>> > Oliver

>> am

>> revision

>> > NOTES.txt

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons JCS 2.2.1 based on RC3

Romain Manni-Bucau
Tmp is cause i cloned it freshly from so hope not. And even if so then how
can it end up with this path?

Le 15 déc. 2017 01:45, "sebb" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> On 14 December 2017 at 21:58, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Wonder how this one can happen
>
> Unclean workspace?
>
> RCs should be built from a clean checkout of the tag.
>
> > Le 14 déc. 2017 22:10, "Gary Gregory" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> >
> >> On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 1:32 PM, Oliver Heger <
> >> [hidden email]>

> >> text.
> >> updated.

> with
> >> >

> >> Yuck! ;-)
> >>
> >> Gary

> are
> So I
> >> am

> 2.2.1. I
> you.

> >> revision

> RC3/

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons JCS 2.2.1 based on RC3

sebb-2-2
The other possible cause is a bad unit test that does not clear up properly.
I have seen that in other releases where test output ended up in the
main source archives.

Try a clean checkout followed by a test and see if the files are created.

On 15 December 2017 at 05:58, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tmp is cause i cloned it freshly from so hope not. And even if so then how
> can it end up with this path?
>
> Le 15 déc. 2017 01:45, "sebb" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>> On 14 December 2017 at 21:58, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Wonder how this one can happen
>>
>> Unclean workspace?
>>
>> RCs should be built from a clean checkout of the tag.

>> with

>> are
>> So I

>> 2.2.1. I
>> you.

>> RC3/

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons JCS 2.2.1 based on RC3

Romain Manni-Bucau
Here what I tested:

1. svn co ....
2. mvn clean install
3. mvn source:jar

=> the same trash is here

4. mvn clean source:jar

=> same happens

so I guess something more fishy happens :(

Romain Manni-Bucau
LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau>

> The other possible cause is a bad unit test that does not clear up
> properly.
> I have seen that in other releases where test output ended up in the
> main source archives.
>
> Try a clean checkout followed by a test and see if the files are created.
>
> On 15 December 2017 at 05:58, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Tmp is cause i cloned it freshly from so hope not. And even if so then
> how
> > can it end up with this path?
> >
> > Le 15 déc. 2017 01:45, "sebb" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> >> Unclean workspace?
> >>
> >> RCs should be built from a clean checkout of the tag.

> Java 8

> strange

> the
> and
> folder
> >> with

> things
> >> are
> >> So I

> >> 2.2.1. I
> >> you.

> dist/dev/commons/jcs/RELEASE-

> >> RC3/

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons JCS 2.2.1 based on RC3

Thomas Vandahl
On 15.12.17 14:05, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:

> Here what I tested:
>
> 1. svn co ....
> 2. mvn clean install
> 3. mvn source:jar
>
> => the same trash is here
>
> 4. mvn clean source:jar
>
> => same happens
>
> so I guess something more fishy happens :(

What is wrong with
        mvn -Prelease release:prepare
        mvn -Prelease release:perform
?

Please closely follow the steps outlined in
http://commons.apache.org/releases/prepare.html
You will get a clean download page and proper RELEASE-NOTES then.

Bye, Thomas.

Le 17 déc. 2017 19:35, "Thomas Vandahl" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On 15.12.17 14:05, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:

> Here what I tested:
>
> 1. svn co ....
> 2. mvn clean install
> 3. mvn source:jar
>
> => the same trash is here
>
> 4. mvn clean source:jar
>
> => same happens
>
> so I guess something more fishy happens :(

What is wrong with
        mvn -Prelease release:prepare
        mvn -Prelease release:perform
?

The tag is wrong so followed the steps to have a commons release - the link
in previous thread - even if it looks broken to me.

Please closely follow the steps outlined in
http://commons.apache.org/releases/prepare.html
You will get a clean download page and proper RELEASE-NOTES then.

Bye, Thomas.

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons JCS 2.2.1 based on RC3

Romain Manni-Bucau
quick ping: where are we exactly - trying to close that topic before next
year ;)? From my understanding current issues are not blocking and we could
move forward if the release note is fixed manually after the vote.

Romain Manni-Bucau
LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau>

> Le 17 déc. 2017 19:35, "Thomas Vandahl" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> On 15.12.17 14:05, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:
> > Here what I tested:
> >
> > 1. svn co ....
> > 2. mvn clean install
> > 3. mvn source:jar
> >
> > => the same trash is here
> >
> > 4. mvn clean source:jar
> >
> > => same happens
> >
> > so I guess something more fishy happens :(
>
> What is wrong with
>         mvn -Prelease release:prepare
>         mvn -Prelease release:perform
> ?
>

> The tag is wrong so followed the steps to have a commons release - the
> link in previous thread - even if it looks broken to me.
>

> Please closely follow the steps outlined in
> http://commons.apache.org/releases/prepare.html
> You will get a clean download page and proper RELEASE-NOTES then.
>
> Bye, Thomas.

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons JCS 2.2.1 based on RC3

Jörg Schaible

the build from source is fine for my compiler zoo from Java 1.7 to 9. However, if the final release contains
broken -sources files, my vote is -1.

Those files are very valuable e.g. developing with Eclipse, because they are used in the debugger to jump
directly into the source, if you depend on commons-jcs.

Sadly those files are not build when calling
  mvn clean package

Therefore I could not check, if I'd get the same strange result.

Cheers,
Jörg

Am Wed, 13 Dec 2017 09:02:55 +0100 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau:

> As discussed quite verbosely already I'd like to release JCS 2.2.1. I
> followed the commons procedure this time and hope it works for you.
>
> JCS 2.2.1 RC3 is available for review here:
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/jcs/ (svn revision
>     23702)
>
> The tag is here:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/jcs/tags/commons-jcs-2.2.1-RC3/
> (svn revision 1817933)
>
> Maven artifacts are here:
>     https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1298
>
> I have tested this with JDK 7, 8 using Maven 3.5.0.
>
> Details of changes since 2.2 are in the release notes:
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/jcs/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>
> http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-RC3/changes-report.html
>
> Site:
>         http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-RC3/
>
> Clirr Report (compared to 2.2):
>
> http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-RC3/commons-jcs-core/clirr-report.html
>
> RAT Report:
>
> http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-RC3/rat-report.html
> (the zipcodes.txt file is intended to not have headers)
>
> KEYS:
>   https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
>
> Please review the release candidate and vote.
> This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now,
> i.e. sometime after 08:15 UTC 16-December 2017
>
>   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts [ ] +-0 Don't care [ ] -1 I oppose this
>   release ${because}
>
> Thanks!
> Romain

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons JCS 2.2.1 based on RC3

garydgregory
Hi Jörg,

Thank you for taking the time to review.

The -sources jar are built by 'mvn deploy' I believe. How are they broken
for you?

Gary

On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 12:28 PM, Jörg Schaible <[hidden email]>

> the build from source is fine for my compiler zoo from Java 1.7 to 9.
> However, if the final release contains
> broken -sources files, my vote is -1.
>
> Those files are very valuable e.g. developing with Eclipse, because they
> are used in the debugger to jump
> directly into the source, if you depend on commons-jcs.
>
> Sadly those files are not build when calling
>   mvn clean package
>
> Therefore I could not check, if I'd get the same strange result.
>
> Cheers,
> Jörg
>
> Am Wed, 13 Dec 2017 09:02:55 +0100 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau:
>
> > As discussed quite verbosely already I'd like to release JCS 2.2.1. I
> > followed the commons procedure this time and hope it works for you.
> >
> > JCS 2.2.1 RC3 is available for review here:
> >     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/jcs/ (svn revision
> >     23702)
> >
> > The tag is here:
> >
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/jcs/tags/
> commons-jcs-2.2.1-RC3/
> > (svn revision 1817933)
> >
> > Maven artifacts are here:
> >     https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
> orgapachecommons-1298
> >
> > I have tested this with JDK 7, 8 using Maven 3.5.0.
> >
> > Details of changes since 2.2 are in the release notes:
> >     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/jcs/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
> >
> > http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-
> RC3/changes-report.html
> >
> > Site:
> >         http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-RC3/
> >
> > Clirr Report (compared to 2.2):
> >
> > http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-
> RC3/commons-jcs-core/clirr-report.html
> >
> > RAT Report:
> >
> > http://home.apache.org/~rmannibucau/commons-jcs-2.2.1-
> RC3/rat-report.html
> > (the zipcodes.txt file is intended to not have headers)
> >
> > KEYS:
> >   https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
> >
> > Please review the release candidate and vote.
> > This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now,
> > i.e. sometime after 08:15 UTC 16-December 2017
> >
> >   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts [ ] +-0 Don't care [ ] -1 I oppose this
> >   release ${because}
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Romain

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons JCS 2.2.1 based on RC3

Jörg Schaible
Hi Gary,

Am Fri, 22 Dec 2017 12:34:13 -0700 schrieb Gary Gregory:

> Hi Jörg,
>
> Thank you for taking the time to review.
>
> The -sources jar are built by 'mvn deploy' I believe.

We should change the parent and tie this goal to package phase. That phase is supposed to produce anything
that is installed or deployed later on.

> How are they
> broken for you?

Se Oliver's mail in this thread.