[VOTE] Release Commons-Net 2.1

rwinston
Hi all

Here is RC5 for commons::net available for review. Thanks to Niall and Sebb for helping with some issues around the release.

Tag:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/net/tags/NET_2_1_RC_5/

Site:

http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/net/2.1/RC5/site/index.html

Binaries:

http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/net/2.1/RC5/

[ ] +1 release it
[ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
[ ] -1 no, do not release it because

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons-Net 2.1

> Hi all
>
>  Here is RC5 for commons::net available for review. Thanks to Niall and Sebb for helping with some issues around the release.
>
>  Tag:
>
>  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/net/tags/NET_2_1_RC_5/
>
>  Site:
>
>  http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/net/2.1/RC5/site/index.html
>
>  Binaries:
>
>  http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/net/2.1/RC5/
>
>  [ ] +1 release it
>  [ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
>  [ ] -1 no, do not release it because

-1 because the code does not compile on Java 1.5:

[ERROR] COMPILATION ERROR :
[INFO] -------------------------------------------------------------
[ERROR] commons-net-2.1-src\src\main\java\org\apache\commons\net\ftp\FTPHTTPClient
.java:[92,18] cannot find symbol
symbol  : constructor IOException(java.lang.Exception)
location: class java.io.IOException

Looks like a Java 1.6 method has been used.

There are also some references to Jakarta in the documentation - some
are historical, and should be kept, but some are wrong. I'll make a
start fixing those in SVN.

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons-Net 2.1

sebb-2-2
On 20/03/2010, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  > Hi all
>  >
>  >  Here is RC5 for commons::net available for review. Thanks to Niall and Sebb for helping with some issues around the release.
>  >
>  >  Tag:
>  >
>  >  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/net/tags/NET_2_1_RC_5/
>  >
>  >  Site:
>  >
>  >  http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/net/2.1/RC5/site/index.html
>  >
>  >  Binaries:
>  >
>  >  http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/net/2.1/RC5/
>  >
>  >  [ ] +1 release it
>  >  [ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
>  >  [ ] -1 no, do not release it because
>

> -1 because the code does not compile on Java 1.5:
>
>  [ERROR] COMPILATION ERROR :
>  [INFO] -------------------------------------------------------------
>  [ERROR] commons-net-2.1-src\src\main\java\org\apache\commons\net\ftp\FTPHTTPClient
>  .java:[92,18] cannot find symbol
>  symbol  : constructor IOException(java.lang.Exception)
>  location: class java.io.IOException
>
>  Looks like a Java 1.6 method has been used.

Forgot to mention: the code does compile and test OK for me on Java 1.6.

>  There are also some references to Jakarta in the documentation - some
>  are historical, and should be kept, but some are wrong. I'll make a
>  start fixing those in SVN.

I've fixed those.

>  >  ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>  >  To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>  >  For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>  >
>  >

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons-Net 2.1

Niall Pemberton
Why is Net 2.1 breaking compatibility with Net 2.0?

http://markmail.org/message/pnfmv75m2muz2pfv

Niall

On 20/03/2010, Niall Pemberton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Why is Net 2.1 breaking compatibility with Net 2.0?
>
>  http://markmail.org/message/pnfmv75m2muz2pfv

Some of those were fixes I made:

Error Removed field KEYSTORE_ALGORITHM
        org.apache.commons.net.ftp.FTPSClient KEYSTORE_ALGORITHM
Error Removed field PROVIDER org.apache.commons.net.ftp.FTPSClient PROVIDER
Error Removed field STORE_TYPE org.apache.commons.net.ftp.FTPSClient
        STORE_TYPE
Error Removed field TRUSTSTORE_ALGORITHM
        org.apache.commons.net.ftp.FTPSClient TRUSTSTORE_ALGORITHM

All these were public static mutable fields (really bad for
thread-safety) however they weren't actually used anywhere so I
assumed it was OK to remove them.

>  Niall
>

>  On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 7:46 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  > Hi all
>  >
>  > Here is RC5 for commons::net available for review. Thanks to Niall and Sebb for helping with some issues around the release.
>  >
>  > Tag:
>  >
>  > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/net/tags/NET_2_1_RC_5/
>  >
>  > Site:
>  >
>  > http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/net/2.1/RC5/site/index.html
>  >
>  > Binaries:
>  >
>  > http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/net/2.1/RC5/
>  >
>  > [ ] +1 release it
>  > [ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
>  > [ ] -1 no, do not release it because

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons-Net 2.1

Grzegorz S?owikowski
Hi

I think all problems with release process came from bad <scm> section in
your pom.xml.

It's:
<scm>
<connection>scm:svn:http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/net/tags/commons-net-2.1</connection>
<developerConnection>scm:svn:https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/net/tags/commons-net-2.1</developerConnection>
<url>http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/net/tags/commons-net-2.1</url>
</scm>

but should be:
<scm>
<connection>scm:svn:http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/net/branches/NET_2_0</connection>
<developerConnection>scm:svn:https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/net/branches/NET_2_0</developerConnection>
<url>http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/net/branches/NET_2_0</url>
</scm>

because you were releasing from branch. Maven should change it
automatically when creating tag version.

Grzegorz Slowikowski

On 2010-03-20 08:46, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Here is RC5 for commons::net available for review. Thanks to Niall and Sebb for helping with some issues around the release.
>
> Tag:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/net/tags/NET_2_1_RC_5/
>
> Site:
>
> http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/net/2.1/RC5/site/index.html
>
> Binaries:
>
> http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/net/2.1/RC5/
>
> [ ] +1 release it
> [ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
> [ ] -1 no, do not release it because

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons-Net 2.1

Rory Winston
Thanks! You are absolutely right...the scm block is incorrect...I think the maven release plugin may have rewritten it like this at some stage....