[VOTE] Release Compress 1.5 based on RC1

[VOTE] Release Compress 1.5 based on RC1

Stefan Bodewig
Hi all,

[took me a few days longer since I wanted to incorporate fixes for the
two issues that popped up last week.  So here we go.]

With 30 JIRA issues fixed it is about time to cut a new release of
Commons Compress.

  Tarballs:
    http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/

  Maven artifacts are here:
    https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-014/org/apache/commons/commons-compress/1.5/

  Details of changes since 1.4.1 are in the release notes:
    http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/site/changes-report.html

  The tag is here:
    http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/compress/tags/COMPRESS-1.5_RC1/

  Site:
    http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/site/
    (Note, this is *not* the site I'd publish after the release, that
    one will include the release date of 1.5 and talk about 1.5 being
    the latest release and so on)

  Clirr Report (compared to 1.4.1):
    http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/site/clirr-report.html

  RAT Report:
    http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/site/rat-report.html

  Votes, please.  This vote will close no earlier than in 72 hours, 0900
  GMT 14-March 2013

  [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
  [ ] +0 OK, but...
  [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
  [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

Thanks

        Stefan

Re: [VOTE] Release Compress 1.5 based on RC1

garydgregory
The tag is wrong, it is:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/compress/tags/COMPRESS-1.5_RC1

Gary

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 4:57 AM, Stefan Bodewig <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> [took me a few days longer since I wanted to incorporate fixes for the
> two issues that popped up last week.  So here we go.]
>
> With 30 JIRA issues fixed it is about time to cut a new release of
> Commons Compress.
>
>   Tarballs:
>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/
>
>   Maven artifacts are here:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-014/org/apache/commons/commons-compress/1.5/
>
>   Details of changes since 1.4.1 are in the release notes:
>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/site/changes-report.html
>
>   The tag is here:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/compress/tags/COMPRESS-1.5_RC1/
>
>   Site:
>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/site/
>     (Note, this is *not* the site I'd publish after the release, that
>     one will include the release date of 1.5 and talk about 1.5 being
>     the latest release and so on)
>
>   Clirr Report (compared to 1.4.1):
>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/site/clirr-report.html
>
>   RAT Report:
>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/site/rat-report.html
>
>   Votes, please.  This vote will close no earlier than in 72 hours, 0900
>   GMT 14-March 2013
>
>   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
>   [ ] +0 OK, but...
>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>   [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...
>

> Thanks
>
>         Stefan

E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

On 2013-03-11, Gary Gregory wrote:

> The tag is wrong, it is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/compress/tags/COMPRESS-1.5_RC1

Right.  I copy-pasted the example vote mail from the compress site and
it also points to viewvc :-)

I think I've fixed the page in our CMS and published the change, but so
far I don't see it life.

Thanks

        Stefan

Re: [VOTE] Release Compress 1.5 based on RC1

+1 but with some non-showstoppers of note:

- I see some nice little fixes Sebb's has committed that would make the
release nicer.
- Some (maybe not all) of the PMD/CPD issues seems easy to fix

Tested the SVN tag with:

Apache Maven 3.0.5 (r01de14724cdef164cd33c7c8c2fe155faf9602da; 2013-02-19
08:51:28-0500)
Maven home: C:\Java\apache-maven-3.0.5\bin\..
Java version: 1.6.0_39, vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
Java home: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_39\jre
Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: Cp1252
OS name: "windows 7", version: "6.1", arch: "amd64", family: "windows"

Home: http://garygregory.com/

On 11 March 2013 08:57, Stefan Bodewig <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> [took me a few days longer since I wanted to incorporate fixes for the
> two issues that popped up last week.  So here we go.]
>
> With 30 JIRA issues fixed it is about time to cut a new release of
> Commons Compress.
>
>   Tarballs:
>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/
>
>   Maven artifacts are here:
>     https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-014/org/apache/commons/commons-compress/1.5/
>
>   Details of changes since 1.4.1 are in the release notes:
>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/site/changes-report.html
>
>   The tag is here:
>     http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/compress/tags/COMPRESS-1.5_RC1/
>
>   Site:
>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/site/
>     (Note, this is *not* the site I'd publish after the release, that
>     one will include the release date of 1.5 and talk about 1.5 being
>     the latest release and so on)
>
>   Clirr Report (compared to 1.4.1):
>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/site/clirr-report.html

Minor nit: the addition of "implements Serializable" to ZipLong,
ZipShort and ZipEightBightInteger is not documented in the Javadoc.

Otherwise all the @since 1.5 and @deprecated since 1.5 tags agree with Clirr.

>   RAT Report:
>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/site/rat-report.html
>
>   Votes, please.  This vote will close no earlier than in 72 hours, 0900
>   GMT 14-March 2013
>
>   [X] +1 Release these artifacts

Apart from the minor nit above, release seems fine.

>   [ ] +0 OK, but...
>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>   [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...
>

> Thanks
>
>         Stefan

Re: [VOTE] Release Compress 1.5 based on RC1

Hello Stefan,

2013/3/11 Stefan Bodewig <[hidden email]>

> Hi all,
>
> [took me a few days longer since I wanted to incorporate fixes for the
> two issues that popped up last week.  So here we go.]
>
> With 30 JIRA issues fixed it is about time to cut a new release of
> Commons Compress.
>
>   Tarballs:
>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/

I've noticed, that the src archives differ from the RC tag. The following
files are missing:
.gitattributes
.gitignore
doap_compress.rdf
PROPOSAL.txt

Is this intended?

>   Maven artifacts are here:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-014/org/apache/commons/commons-compress/1.5/
>
>   Details of changes since 1.4.1 are in the release notes:
>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/site/changes-report.html
>
>   The tag is here:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/compress/tags/COMPRESS-1.5_RC1/
>
>   Site:
>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/site/
>     (Note, this is *not* the site I'd publish after the release, that
>     one will include the release date of 1.5 and talk about 1.5 being
>     the latest release and so on)

Site looks good to me. I think the PMD and CPD violations are no show
stoppers since they were already present when 1.4.1 was released. I don't
know the code good enough to judge if these are easy to fix.

>   Clirr Report (compared to 1.4.1):
>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/site/clirr-report.html
>
>   RAT Report:
>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/site/rat-report.html
>
>   Votes, please.  This vote will close no earlier than in 72 hours, 0900
>   GMT 14-March 2013
>
>   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
>   [ ] +0 OK, but...
>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>   [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

I'll give you my non-binding +1 if it is okay that the src distributions
differ from the SVN tag  :)

> Thanks
>
>         Stefan

http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter

Re: [VOTE] Release Compress 1.5 based on RC1

sebb-2-2
On 11 March 2013 21:18, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Stefan,
>
> 2013/3/11 Stefan Bodewig <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> [took me a few days longer since I wanted to incorporate fixes for the
>> two issues that popped up last week.  So here we go.]
>>
>> With 30 JIRA issues fixed it is about time to cut a new release of
>> Commons Compress.
>>
>>   Tarballs:
>>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/
>

> I've noticed, that the src archives differ from the RC tag. The following
> files are missing:
> .gitattributes
> .gitignore
> doap_compress.rdf
> PROPOSAL.txt
>
> Is this intended?

The .git* files are only really for use by SVN.

The other two files are not really needed as part of the source release.
[Indeed it might be sensible to move the DOAP files outside trunk (and
thus tags/branches) - they are only needed for creating the
projects.a.o site - and it's confusing to have them in the source
archive.

It is not a big deal if some SVN files are missing from the source
archive, so long as they are not needed.
However, files in the source archive that are not in SVN should ring
alarm bells - that's almost certainly an error.

>>   Maven artifacts are here:
>>
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-014/org/apache/commons/commons-compress/1.5/
>>
>>   Details of changes since 1.4.1 are in the release notes:
>>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/site/changes-report.html
>>
>>   The tag is here:
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/compress/tags/COMPRESS-1.5_RC1/
>>
>>   Site:
>>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/site/
>>     (Note, this is *not* the site I'd publish after the release, that
>>     one will include the release date of 1.5 and talk about 1.5 being
>>     the latest release and so on)
>>

> Site looks good to me. I think the PMD and CPD violations are no show
> stoppers since they were already present when 1.4.1 was released. I don't
> know the code good enough to judge if these are easy to fix.
>

>>   Clirr Report (compared to 1.4.1):
>>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/site/clirr-report.html
>>
>>   RAT Report:
>>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/site/rat-report.html
>>
>>   Votes, please.  This vote will close no earlier than in 72 hours, 0900
>>   GMT 14-March 2013
>>
>>   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
>>   [ ] +0 OK, but...
>>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>>   [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...
>>

> I'll give you my non-binding +1 if it is okay that the src distributions
> differ from the SVN tag  :)
>
> Regards,
> Benedikt
>

>> Thanks
>>
>>         Stefan

> http://people.apache.org/~britter/
> http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
> http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
> http://github.com/britter

[compress] Since and Implemented Interfaces (was Re: [VOTE] Release Compress 1.5 based on RC1)

Stefan Bodewig
On 2013-03-11, sebb wrote:

> Minor nit: the addition of "implements Serializable" to ZipLong,
> ZipShort and ZipEightBightInteger is not documented in the Javadoc.

Is there a formal way to document "implements Foo since 1.5" other than
free form text in a class level comment?  I'd like to add it in trunk
before creating the site - that way it becomes part of the published
Javadocs.

> Otherwise all the @since 1.5 and @deprecated since 1.5 tags agree with Clirr.

I knew you'd look out for that ;-)

On 2013-03-11, Gary Gregory wrote:

> - Some (maybe not all) of the PMD/CPD issues seems easy to fix

At least the CPD one looks easier than it is - it uses a lot of
variables that are mutated and used outside of the block.

Many of the PMDs have reasons as well like overriding equals when not
doing it causes a different rule to fire or deliberately swallowing
exceptions when closing a stream inside a finally block so the original
exception isn't masked.

Stefan

[compress] Missing Files in Source Distribution (was Re: [VOTE] Release Compress 1.5 based on RC1)

Stefan Bodewig
On 2013-03-11, Benedikt Ritter wrote:

> I've noticed, that the src archives differ from the RC tag. The following
> files are missing:
> .gitattributes
> .gitignore
> doap_compress.rdf
> PROPOSAL.txt

> Is this intended?

In a way, yes.  They are not listed inside the assembly descriptor.  The
.git files really don't make sense outside of a working copy (just like
.cvsignore didn't or the .svn subdirectory|ies).  PROPOSAL and doap are
not really part of the sources but sit in trunk because there is no
better place for them to be.

2013/3/12 sebb <[hidden email]>

> On 11 March 2013 21:18, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello Stefan,
> >
> > 2013/3/11 Stefan Bodewig <[hidden email]>
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> [took me a few days longer since I wanted to incorporate fixes for the
> >> two issues that popped up last week.  So here we go.]
> >>
> >> With 30 JIRA issues fixed it is about time to cut a new release of
> >> Commons Compress.
> >>
> >>   Tarballs:
> >>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/
> >

> > I've noticed, that the src archives differ from the RC tag. The following
> > files are missing:
> > .gitattributes
> > .gitignore
> > doap_compress.rdf
> > PROPOSAL.txt
> >
> > Is this intended?
> >

> The .git* files are only really for use by SVN.
>
> The other two files are not really needed as part of the source release.
> [Indeed it might be sensible to move the DOAP files outside trunk (and
> thus tags/branches) - they are only needed for creating the
> projects.a.o site - and it's confusing to have them in the source
> archive.
>
> It is not a big deal if some SVN files are missing from the source
> archive, so long as they are not needed.
> However, files in the source archive that are not in SVN should ring
> alarm bells - that's almost certainly an error.

sebb, thanks for the explanation (thanks to Stefan for commenting on the
other thread aswell).
Then this is my very first (non-binding) +1

> >>   Maven artifacts are here:
> >>

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-014/org/apache/commons/commons-compress/1.5/
> >>
> >>   Details of changes since 1.4.1 are in the release notes:
> >>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/site/changes-report.html
> >>
> >>   The tag is here:
> >>

> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/compress/tags/COMPRESS-1.5_RC1/
> >>
> >>   Site:
> >>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/site/
> >>     (Note, this is *not* the site I'd publish after the release, that
> >>     one will include the release date of 1.5 and talk about 1.5 being
> >>     the latest release and so on)
> >>

> > Site looks good to me. I think the PMD and CPD violations are no show
> > stoppers since they were already present when 1.4.1 was released. I don't
> > know the code good enough to judge if these are easy to fix.
> >

> >>   Clirr Report (compared to 1.4.1):
> >>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/site/clirr-report.html
> >>
> >>   RAT Report:
> >>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/site/rat-report.html
> >>
> >>   Votes, please.  This vote will close no earlier than in 72 hours, 0900
> >>   GMT 14-March 2013
> >>
> >>   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
> >>   [ ] +0 OK, but...
> >>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
> >>   [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...
> >>

> > I'll give you my non-binding +1 if it is okay that the src distributions
> > differ from the SVN tag  :)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Benedikt
> >

> >> Thanks
> >>
> >>         Stefan

> > --
> > http://people.apache.org/~britter/
> > http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
> > http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
> > http://github.com/britter

http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter

Re: [VOTE] Release Compress 1.5 based on RC1

Jörg Schaible
+1, builds fine from source and tests run with all my Java runtime
environments.

Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> [took me a few days longer since I wanted to incorporate fixes for the
> two issues that popped up last week.  So here we go.]
>
> With 30 JIRA issues fixed it is about time to cut a new release of
> Commons Compress.
>
>   Tarballs:
>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/
>
>   Maven artifacts are here:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-014/org/apache/commons/commons-
compress/1.5/

>   Details of changes since 1.4.1 are in the release notes:
>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/site/changes-report.html
>
>   The tag is here:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/compress/tags/COMPRESS-1.5_RC1/

>   Site:
>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/site/
>     (Note, this is *not* the site I'd publish after the release, that
>     one will include the release date of 1.5 and talk about 1.5 being
>     the latest release and so on)
>
>   Clirr Report (compared to 1.4.1):
>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/site/clirr-report.html
>
>   RAT Report:
>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.5/site/rat-report.html
>
>   Votes, please.  This vote will close no earlier than in 72 hours, 0900
>   GMT 14-March 2013
>
>   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
>   [ ] +0 OK, but...
>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>   [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...
>

> Thanks
>
>         Stefan

[RESULT] Release Compress 1.5 based on RC1

Stefan Bodewig
The vote has passed with +1s by Gary, Sebb, Benedict, Jörg and myself
(which I didn't cast expplicitly, sorry) - four of which are binding.

I'll promote the staging and copy over the tarballs now.  I'll update
the site and send out the announcement later today once the mirrors have
picked up the tarballs.

Thanks

        Stefan

Re: [RESULT] Release Compress 1.5 based on RC1

sebb-2-2
On 14 March 2013 08:25, Stefan Bodewig <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The vote has passed with +1s by Gary, Sebb, Benedict, Jörg and myself
> (which I didn't cast expplicitly, sorry) - four of which are binding.
>
> I'll promote the staging and copy over the tarballs now.  I'll update
> the site and send out the announcement later today once the mirrors have
> picked up the tarballs.

Did you copy the files to the SVN dist release directory?

If not, the files may get lost when Infra enable svnpubsub for
dist/commons, as that will use the files from SVN.