[VOTE] Release Math 3.3 based on RC2

Thomas Neidhart
Hi all,

I would like to call a vote to release Commons Math 3.3 based on RC2.

Changes since RC1:

 * completed changelog
 * fixed MATH-1110
 * added exclusion filter for findbugs false-positive
 * disabled 2 tests that failed with Java 8
 * javadoc fixes for Java 8 (incomplete, see below)

Note:

Commons Math 3.3 does compile with Java 8, but creating the site will
not work due to some incompatibilities:

 * javadoc: known doclint issue
 * findbugs: not ready for java 8

 Math 3.3 RC2 is available for review here:
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/
    (svn revision 5215)

 Maven artifacts are here:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1026/org/apache/commons/commons-math3/3.3/

 Details of changes since 3.2 are in the release notes:
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
    http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC2/changes-report.html

 The tag is here:
    https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/tags/MATH_3_3_RC2
    (svn revision 1591699)

 Site:
    http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC2/
  (note the apidocs for the 3.3 release will be added with the release)

 Clirr Report (compared to 3.2):
    http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC2/clirr-report.html
   (note that there are 4 false positives where the signature of a
method has changed such that the parameter type is now the superclass of
the previous type)

 RAT Report:
    http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC2/rat-report.html

 Findbugs Report:
    http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC2/findbugs.html

  KEYS:
  http://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS

Please review the release candidate and vote.
This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now, i.e. after 1800
GMT 04-May 2014.

  [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
  [ ] +0 OK, but...
  [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
  [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

Best regards,

Thomas

Re: [VOTE] Release Math 3.3 based on RC2

Gilles Sadowski
On Thu, 01 May 2014 18:15:39 +0200, Thomas Neidhart wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to call a vote to release Commons Math 3.3 based on RC2.
>
> Changes since RC1:
>
>  * completed changelog
>  * fixed MATH-1110
>  * added exclusion filter for findbugs false-positive
>  * disabled 2 tests that failed with Java 8
>  * javadoc fixes for Java 8 (incomplete, see below)
>
> Note:
>
> Commons Math 3.3 does compile with Java 8, but creating the site will
> not work due to some incompatibilities:
>
>  * javadoc: known doclint issue
>  * findbugs: not ready for java 8
>

>  Math 3.3 RC2 is available for review here:
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/
>     (svn revision 5215)
>
>  Maven artifacts are here:
>

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1026/org/apache/commons/commons-math3/3.3/
>
>  Details of changes since 3.2 are in the release notes:
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>
> http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC2/changes-report.html
>
>  The tag is here:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/tags/MATH_3_3_RC2
>     (svn revision 1591699)
>
>  Site:
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC2/
>   (note the apidocs for the 3.3 release will be added with the
> release)
>
>  Clirr Report (compared to 3.2):
>
> http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC2/clirr-report.html
>    (note that there are 4 false positives where the signature of a
> method has changed such that the parameter type is now the superclass
> of
> the previous type)
>
>  RAT Report:
>
> http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC2/rat-report.html
>
>  Findbugs Report:
>
> http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC2/findbugs.html
>
>   KEYS:
>   http://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
>
> Please review the release candidate and vote.
> This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now, i.e. after
> 1800
> GMT 04-May 2014.
>
>   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
>   [ ] +0 OK, but...
>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>   [X] -1 I oppose this release because...

... some commits were performed solely to support Java 8. Since it did
not
suffice and the changes are not without drawbacks IMHO, I think that
they
should be reverted.

Thanks for identifying the problem we'll encounter when transitioning
Java 8.
I think that a discussion is required to consider the possible
workarounds.
At this point, we should just advertize that CM is not
source-compatible
with Java 8, open an issue in order to collect all the related
problems,
and explore how to best solve them (by asking everyone's opinions).

Sorry,

Re: [VOTE] Release Math 3.3 based on RC2

Paul Benedict
Personally, I don't see a reason to revert the javadoc changes. There's no
turning back the clock on the javadoc processing engine -- it's not like 9
or 10 is going to stop warning about malformed HTML. Although I am not a
Math contributor/commiter, I support the change since going forward it will
make the doc generation predictable.

Paul

On Thu, 1 May 2014 16:10:09 -0500, Paul Benedict wrote:
> Personally, I don't see a reason to revert the javadoc changes.
> There's no
> turning back the clock on the javadoc processing engine -- it's not
> like 9
> or 10 is going to stop warning about malformed HTML. Although I am
> not a
> Math contributor/commiter, I support the change since going forward
> it will
> make the doc generation predictable.

The problem is that there are several ways to proceed forward.
[For example, my preferred choice is to use MathJax as much as
possible,
rather than blindly replace angle brackets with entities.]

Moreover, IIUC, the new engine is refusing to process valid (X)HTML!

> [...]
>>>

>> ... some commits were performed solely to support Java 8. Since it
>> did not
>> suffice and the changes are not without drawbacks IMHO, I think that
>> they
>> should be reverted.
>>
>> Thanks for identifying the problem we'll encounter when
>> transitioning to
>> Java 8.
>> I think that a discussion is required to consider the possible
>> workarounds.
>> At this point, we should just advertize that CM is not
>> source-compatible
>> with Java 8, open an issue in order to collect all the related
>> problems,
>> and explore how to best solve them (by asking everyone's opinions).
>>

>> Sorry,
>> Gilles

RE: [VOTE] Release Math 3.3 based on RC2

Patrick Meyer

Re: [VOTE] Release Math 3.3 based on RC2

Luc Maisonobe-2
Le 01/05/2014 18:15, Thomas Neidhart a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to call a vote to release Commons Math 3.3 based on RC2.
>
> Changes since RC1:
>
>  * completed changelog
>  * fixed MATH-1110
>  * added exclusion filter for findbugs false-positive
>  * disabled 2 tests that failed with Java 8
>  * javadoc fixes for Java 8 (incomplete, see below)
>
> Note:
>
> Commons Math 3.3 does compile with Java 8, but creating the site will
> not work due to some incompatibilities:
>
>  * javadoc: known doclint issue
>  * findbugs: not ready for java 8
>

>  Math 3.3 RC2 is available for review here:
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/
>     (svn revision 5215)
>
>  Maven artifacts are here:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1026/org/apache/commons/commons-math3/3.3/
>
>  Details of changes since 3.2 are in the release notes:
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC2/changes-report.html
>
>  The tag is here:
>     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/tags/MATH_3_3_RC2
>     (svn revision 1591699)
>
>  Site:
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC2/
>   (note the apidocs for the 3.3 release will be added with the release)
>
>  Clirr Report (compared to 3.2):
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC2/clirr-report.html
>    (note that there are 4 false positives where the signature of a
> method has changed such that the parameter type is now the superclass of
> the previous type)
>
>  RAT Report:
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC2/rat-report.html
>
>  Findbugs Report:
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC2/findbugs.html
>
>   KEYS:
>   http://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
>
> Please review the release candidate and vote.
> This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now, i.e. after 1800
> GMT 04-May 2014.
>
>   [X] +1 Release these artifacts

Good. Thanks Thomas!

Luc

--
E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] Release Math 3.3 based on RC2

Phil Steitz
-0 for reasons Gilles cites.  I would rather that we agree on how
exactly to deal with the J8 mess before partially implementing
"fixes."  I am not -1 because formatting damage is minimal in what
has been committed thus far [1].

Phil

[1] This may seem like a nit; but there are quite a few places where
There is just one of these in the code that has been changed for
Java 8 compat (CombinatoricsUtils) so far and it is not material.
Ripping all of these out will damage readability of javadoc for some
of the classes yet untouched by these changes though.  Is <br> now
somehow legal?  Can we use that instead?  Or do we just have to
throw in the towel and write it all in <pre></pre> or TeX?

Phil