[VOTE] Release Math 3.3 based on RC3 (second run after mail outage)

[VOTE] Release Math 3.3 based on RC3 (second run after mail outage)

Luc Maisonobe-2
Hi all,

As I am not sure this message will be recovered after mail outage, I
send it again, with an update of final date.

I would like to call a vote to release Commons Math 3.3 based on RC3.

Changes since RC2:

 * reverted javadoc fixes for Java 8

Note:

Commons Math 3.3 does compile with Java 8, but creating the site will
not work due to some incompatibilities:

 * javadoc: known doclint issue
 * findbugs: not ready for java 8

 Math 3.3 RC3 is available for review here:
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/
    (svn revision 5295)

 Maven artifacts are here:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1027/org/apache/commons/commons-math3/3.3/

 Details of changes since 3.2 are in the release notes:
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
    http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/changes-report.html

 The tag is here:
    https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/tags/MATH_3_3_RC3
    (svn revision 1593137)

 Site:
    http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/
  (note the apidocs for the 3.3 release will be added with the release)

 Clirr Report (compared to 3.2):
    http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/clirr-report.html
   (note that there are 4 false positives where the signature of a
method has changed such that the parameter type is now the superclass of
the previous type)

 RAT Report:
    http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/rat-report.html

 Findbugs Report:
    http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/findbugs.html

  KEYS:
  http://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS

Please review the release candidate and vote.

Note that the artifacts have been prepared by Thomas (thanks to him!)
and he delegated the vote to me. So the signatures correspond to his key
and not mine.

This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now, that is
2014-05-14T10:00:00Z (this is UTC time).

  [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
  [ ] +0 OK, but...
  [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
  [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

Re: [VOTE] Release Math 3.3 based on RC3 (second run after mail outage)

Luc Maisonobe-2
Le 11/05/2014 11:55, Luc Maisonobe a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> As I am not sure this message will be recovered after mail outage, I
> send it again, with an update of final date.
>
> I would like to call a vote to release Commons Math 3.3 based on RC3.
>
> Changes since RC2:
>
>  * reverted javadoc fixes for Java 8
>
> Note:
>
> Commons Math 3.3 does compile with Java 8, but creating the site will
> not work due to some incompatibilities:
>
>  * javadoc: known doclint issue
>  * findbugs: not ready for java 8
>

>  Math 3.3 RC3 is available for review here:
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/
>     (svn revision 5295)
>
>  Maven artifacts are here:
>

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1027/org/apache/commons/commons-math3/3.3/
>
>  Details of changes since 3.2 are in the release notes:
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/changes-report.html
>
>  The tag is here:
>     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/tags/MATH_3_3_RC3
>     (svn revision 1593137)
>
>  Site:
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/
>   (note the apidocs for the 3.3 release will be added with the release)
>
>  Clirr Report (compared to 3.2):
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/clirr-report.html
>    (note that there are 4 false positives where the signature of a
> method has changed such that the parameter type is now the superclass of
> the previous type)
>
>  RAT Report:
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/rat-report.html
>
>  Findbugs Report:
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/findbugs.html
>
>   KEYS:
>   http://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
>
> Please review the release candidate and vote.
>
> Note that the artifacts have been prepared by Thomas (thanks to him!)
> and he delegated the vote to me. So the signatures correspond to his key
> and not mine.
>
> This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now, that is
> 2014-05-14T10:00:00Z (this is UTC time).
>
>   [X] +1 Release these artifacts

Luc

>   [ ] +0 OK, but...
>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>   [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

Re: [VOTE] Release Math 3.3 based on RC3 (second run after mail outage)

- 0: It makes no sense to me to allow the build to fail with stock Java 8.

I am not -1 because the [math] community seems to have chosen this path for
itself; and I am not an active [math] contributor.

Gary

On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 5:55 AM, Luc Maisonobe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As I am not sure this message will be recovered after mail outage, I
> send it again, with an update of final date.
>
> I would like to call a vote to release Commons Math 3.3 based on RC3.
>
> Changes since RC2:
>
>  * reverted javadoc fixes for Java 8
>
> Note:
>
> Commons Math 3.3 does compile with Java 8, but creating the site will
> not work due to some incompatibilities:
>
>  * javadoc: known doclint issue
>  * findbugs: not ready for java 8
>

>  Math 3.3 RC3 is available for review here:
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/
>     (svn revision 5295)
>
>  Maven artifacts are here:
>

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1027/org/apache/commons/commons-math3/3.3/
>
>  Details of changes since 3.2 are in the release notes:
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>
> http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/changes-report.html
>
>  The tag is here:
>     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/tags/MATH_3_3_RC3
>     (svn revision 1593137)
>
>  Site:
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/
>   (note the apidocs for the 3.3 release will be added with the release)
>
>  Clirr Report (compared to 3.2):
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/clirr-report.html
>    (note that there are 4 false positives where the signature of a
> method has changed such that the parameter type is now the superclass of
> the previous type)
>
>  RAT Report:
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/rat-report.html
>
>  Findbugs Report:
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/findbugs.html
>
>   KEYS:
>   http://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
>
> Please review the release candidate and vote.
>
> Note that the artifacts have been prepared by Thomas (thanks to him!)
> and he delegated the vote to me. So the signatures correspond to his key
> and not mine.
>
> This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now, that is
> 2014-05-14T10:00:00Z (this is UTC time).
>
>   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
>   [ ] +0 OK, but...
>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>   [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Le 11/05/2014 16:45, Gary Gregory a écrit :
> - 0: It makes no sense to me to allow the build to fail with stock Java 8.
>
> I am not -1 because the [math] community seems to have chosen this path for
> itself; and I am not an active [math] contributor.

As far as I know, it does build with Java 8. The only problem are a too
stringent test about FastMath since there are new methods in Java 8,
which are not supported yet, and javadocs.

best regards,
Luc

> Gary
>

> On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 5:55 AM, Luc Maisonobe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> As I am not sure this message will be recovered after mail outage, I
>> send it again, with an update of final date.
>>
>> I would like to call a vote to release Commons Math 3.3 based on RC3.
>>
>> Changes since RC2:
>>
>>  * reverted javadoc fixes for Java 8
>>
>> Note:
>>
>> Commons Math 3.3 does compile with Java 8, but creating the site will
>> not work due to some incompatibilities:
>>
>>  * javadoc: known doclint issue
>>  * findbugs: not ready for java 8
>>

>>  Math 3.3 RC3 is available for review here:
>>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/
>>     (svn revision 5295)
>>
>>  Maven artifacts are here:
>>

>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1027/org/apache/commons/commons-math3/3.3/
>>
>>  Details of changes since 3.2 are in the release notes:
>>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/changes-report.html
>>
>>  The tag is here:
>>     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/tags/MATH_3_3_RC3
>>     (svn revision 1593137)
>>
>>  Site:
>>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/
>>   (note the apidocs for the 3.3 release will be added with the release)
>>
>>  Clirr Report (compared to 3.2):
>>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/clirr-report.html
>>    (note that there are 4 false positives where the signature of a
>> method has changed such that the parameter type is now the superclass of
>> the previous type)
>>
>>  RAT Report:
>>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/rat-report.html
>>
>>  Findbugs Report:
>>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/findbugs.html
>>
>>   KEYS:
>>   http://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
>>
>> Please review the release candidate and vote.
>>
>> Note that the artifacts have been prepared by Thomas (thanks to him!)
>> and he delegated the vote to me. So the signatures correspond to his key
>> and not mine.
>>
>> This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now, that is
>> 2014-05-14T10:00:00Z (this is UTC time).
>>
>>   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
>>   [ ] +0 OK, but...
>>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>>   [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

Re: [VOTE] Release Math 3.3 based on RC3 (second run after mail outage)

Phil Steitz

On 5/11/14, 2:55 AM, Luc Maisonobe wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As I am not sure this message will be recovered after mail outage, I
> send it again, with an update of final date.
>
> I would like to call a vote to release Commons Math 3.3 based on RC3.
>
> Changes since RC2:
>
>  * reverted javadoc fixes for Java 8
I also snuck in some updates to the User Guide and convenience
methods for K-S tests added to TestUtils.

> Note:
>
> Commons Math 3.3 does compile with Java 8, but creating the site will
> not work due to some incompatibilities:
>
>  * javadoc: known doclint issue
>  * findbugs: not ready for java 8
>

>  Math 3.3 RC3 is available for review here:
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/
>     (svn revision 5295)
>
>  Maven artifacts are here:
>

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1027/org/apache/commons/commons-math3/3.3/
>
>  Details of changes since 3.2 are in the release notes:
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/changes-report.html
>
>  The tag is here:
>     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/tags/MATH_3_3_RC3
>     (svn revision 1593137)
>
>  Site:
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/
>   (note the apidocs for the 3.3 release will be added with the release)
>
>  Clirr Report (compared to 3.2):
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/clirr-report.html
>    (note that there are 4 false positives where the signature of a
> method has changed such that the parameter type is now the superclass of
> the previous type)
>
>  RAT Report:
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/rat-report.html
>
>  Findbugs Report:
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/findbugs.html
>
>   KEYS:
>   http://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
>
> Please review the release candidate and vote.
>
> Note that the artifacts have been prepared by Thomas (thanks to him!)
> and he delegated the vote to me. So the signatures correspond to his key
> and not mine.
>
> This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now, that is
> 2014-05-14T10:00:00Z (this is UTC time).
>
>   [X] +1 Release these artifacts

Phil

>   [ ] +0 OK, but...
>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>   [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

> .

Re: [VOTE] Release Math 3.3 based on RC3 (second run after mail outage)

Thomas Neidhart
On 05/11/2014 11:55 AM, Luc Maisonobe wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As I am not sure this message will be recovered after mail outage, I
> send it again, with an update of final date.
>
> I would like to call a vote to release Commons Math 3.3 based on RC3.
>
> Changes since RC2:
>
>  * reverted javadoc fixes for Java 8
>
> Note:
>
> Commons Math 3.3 does compile with Java 8, but creating the site will
> not work due to some incompatibilities:
>
>  * javadoc: known doclint issue
>  * findbugs: not ready for java 8
>

>  Math 3.3 RC3 is available for review here:
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/
>     (svn revision 5295)
>
>  Maven artifacts are here:
>

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1027/org/apache/commons/commons-math3/3.3/
>
>  Details of changes since 3.2 are in the release notes:
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/changes-report.html
>
>  The tag is here:
>     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/tags/MATH_3_3_RC3
>     (svn revision 1593137)
>
>  Site:
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/
>   (note the apidocs for the 3.3 release will be added with the release)
>
>  Clirr Report (compared to 3.2):
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/clirr-report.html
>    (note that there are 4 false positives where the signature of a
> method has changed such that the parameter type is now the superclass of
> the previous type)
>
>  RAT Report:
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/rat-report.html
>
>  Findbugs Report:
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/findbugs.html
>
>   KEYS:
>   http://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
>
> Please review the release candidate and vote.
>
> Note that the artifacts have been prepared by Thomas (thanks to him!)
> and he delegated the vote to me. So the signatures correspond to his key
> and not mine.
>
> This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now, that is
> 2014-05-14T10:00:00Z (this is UTC time).

[X] +1 Release these artifacts

Best,

Thomas

On 5/11/14, 7:45 AM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> - 0: It makes no sense to me to allow the build to fail with stock Java 8.

s/build/site build

Not a blocker, IMO.

Phil

> I am not -1 because the [math] community seems to have chosen this path for
> itself; and I am not an active [math] contributor.
>
> Gary
>

> On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 5:55 AM, Luc Maisonobe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> As I am not sure this message will be recovered after mail outage, I
>> send it again, with an update of final date.
>>
>> I would like to call a vote to release Commons Math 3.3 based on RC3.
>>
>> Changes since RC2:
>>
>>  * reverted javadoc fixes for Java 8
>>
>> Note:
>>
>> Commons Math 3.3 does compile with Java 8, but creating the site will
>> not work due to some incompatibilities:
>>
>>  * javadoc: known doclint issue
>>  * findbugs: not ready for java 8
>>

>>  Math 3.3 RC3 is available for review here:
>>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/
>>     (svn revision 5295)
>>
>>  Maven artifacts are here:
>>

>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1027/org/apache/commons/commons-math3/3.3/
>>
>>  Details of changes since 3.2 are in the release notes:
>>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/changes-report.html
>>
>>  The tag is here:
>>     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/tags/MATH_3_3_RC3
>>     (svn revision 1593137)
>>
>>  Site:
>>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/
>>   (note the apidocs for the 3.3 release will be added with the release)
>>
>>  Clirr Report (compared to 3.2):
>>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/clirr-report.html
>>    (note that there are 4 false positives where the signature of a
>> method has changed such that the parameter type is now the superclass of
>> the previous type)
>>
>>  RAT Report:
>>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/rat-report.html
>>
>>  Findbugs Report:
>>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/findbugs.html
>>
>>   KEYS:
>>   http://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
>>
>> Please review the release candidate and vote.
>>
>> Note that the artifacts have been prepared by Thomas (thanks to him!)
>> and he delegated the vote to me. So the signatures correspond to his key
>> and not mine.
>>
>> This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now, that is
>> 2014-05-14T10:00:00Z (this is UTC time).
>>
>>   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
>>   [ ] +0 OK, but...
>>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>>   [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

RE: [VOTE] Release Math 3.3 based on RC3 (second run after mail outage)

Patrick Meyer

Re: [VOTE] Release Math 3.3 based on RC3 (second run after mail outage)

Oliver Heger-3
I tried to build with Java 5 on Windows 8.1, but there were the test
failures below. ISTR that I had similar problems with the last release,
so this might not be a problem.

The clirr report shows some errors, and I did not find a related comment
in the release notes. Is this okay?

Oliver

Results :

Failed tests:
  GammaDistributionTest.testMath753Shape142:351->doTestMath753:298 shape
= 142.0
, scale = 1.0
Old implementation
------------------
SummaryStatistics:
n: 463
min: 0.0
max: 553.0
mean: 384.3887688984882
geometric mean: 0.0
variance: 9958.419960169416
sum of squares: 7.3011228E7
standard deviation: 99.79188323791378
sum of logs: -Infinity
New implementation
------------------
SummaryStatistics:
n: 463
min: 0.0
max: 26.0
mean: 2.460043196544277
geometric mean: 0.0
variance: 2.2013220760520977
sum of squares: 3819.0
standard deviation: 1.483685302229586
sum of logs: -Infinity

FastMathStrictComparisonTest.test1:89->setupMethodCall:193->callMethods:168->r
eportFailedResults:155 double toRadians(-4.9E-324) expected -0.0 actual
0.0 entr
ies [12]

Am 11.05.2014 11:55, schrieb Luc Maisonobe:

> Hi all,
>
> As I am not sure this message will be recovered after mail outage, I
> send it again, with an update of final date.
>
> I would like to call a vote to release Commons Math 3.3 based on RC3.
>
> Changes since RC2:
>
>  * reverted javadoc fixes for Java 8
>
> Note:
>
> Commons Math 3.3 does compile with Java 8, but creating the site will
> not work due to some incompatibilities:
>
>  * javadoc: known doclint issue
>  * findbugs: not ready for java 8
>

>  Math 3.3 RC3 is available for review here:
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/
>     (svn revision 5295)
>
>  Maven artifacts are here:
>

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1027/org/apache/commons/commons-math3/3.3/
>
>  Details of changes since 3.2 are in the release notes:
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/changes-report.html
>
>  The tag is here:
>     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/tags/MATH_3_3_RC3
>     (svn revision 1593137)
>
>  Site:
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/
>   (note the apidocs for the 3.3 release will be added with the release)
>
>  Clirr Report (compared to 3.2):
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/clirr-report.html
>    (note that there are 4 false positives where the signature of a
> method has changed such that the parameter type is now the superclass of
> the previous type)
>
>  RAT Report:
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/rat-report.html
>
>  Findbugs Report:
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/findbugs.html
>
>   KEYS:
>   http://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
>
> Please review the release candidate and vote.
>
> Note that the artifacts have been prepared by Thomas (thanks to him!)
> and he delegated the vote to me. So the signatures correspond to his key
> and not mine.
>
> This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now, that is
> 2014-05-14T10:00:00Z (this is UTC time).
>
>   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
>   [ ] +0 OK, but...
>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>   [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

Re: [VOTE] Release Math 3.3 based on RC3 (second run after mail outage)

Hi.

> I would like to call a vote to release Commons Math 3.3 based on RC3.
>
> [...]
>
>   [X] +1 Release these artifacts
>   [ ] +0 OK, but...
>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>   [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release Math 3.3 based on RC3 (second run after mail outage)

Luc Maisonobe-2
Le 11/05/2014 11:55, Luc Maisonobe a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> As I am not sure this message will be recovered after mail outage, I
> send it again, with an update of final date.
>
> I would like to call a vote to release Commons Math 3.3 based on RC3.

This vote has passed with the following tally:

 - Luc    +1
 - Gary   -0
 - Phil   +1
 - Thomas +1
 - Gilles +1

I will publish what I can (I guess promoting the maven artifacts has to
be done by Thomas) and send the announcement.

Thanks to everyone
Luc

> Changes since RC2:
>
>  * reverted javadoc fixes for Java 8
>
> Note:
>
> Commons Math 3.3 does compile with Java 8, but creating the site will
> not work due to some incompatibilities:
>
>  * javadoc: known doclint issue
>  * findbugs: not ready for java 8
>

>  Math 3.3 RC3 is available for review here:
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/
>     (svn revision 5295)
>
>  Maven artifacts are here:
>

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1027/org/apache/commons/commons-math3/3.3/
>
>  Details of changes since 3.2 are in the release notes:
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/changes-report.html
>
>  The tag is here:
>     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/tags/MATH_3_3_RC3
>     (svn revision 1593137)
>
>  Site:
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/
>   (note the apidocs for the 3.3 release will be added with the release)
>
>  Clirr Report (compared to 3.2):
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/clirr-report.html
>    (note that there are 4 false positives where the signature of a
> method has changed such that the parameter type is now the superclass of
> the previous type)
>
>  RAT Report:
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/rat-report.html
>
>  Findbugs Report:
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/findbugs.html
>
>   KEYS:
>   http://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
>
> Please review the release candidate and vote.
>
> Note that the artifacts have been prepared by Thomas (thanks to him!)
> and he delegated the vote to me. So the signatures correspond to his key
> and not mine.
>
> This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now, that is
> 2014-05-14T10:00:00Z (this is UTC time).
>
>   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
>   [ ] +0 OK, but...
>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>   [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Math 3.3 based on RC3 (second run after mail outage)

Luc Maisonobe-2
Le 14/05/2014 20:18, Luc Maisonobe a écrit :

> Le 11/05/2014 11:55, Luc Maisonobe a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>>
>> As I am not sure this message will be recovered after mail outage, I
>> send it again, with an update of final date.
>>
>> I would like to call a vote to release Commons Math 3.3 based on RC3.
>

> This vote has passed with the following tally:
>
>  - Luc    +1
>  - Gary   -0
>  - Phil   +1
>  - Thomas +1
>  - Gilles +1
>
> I will publish what I can (I guess promoting the maven artifacts has to
> be done by Thomas) and send the announcement.

For your information, I have published everything except site and maven
artifacts.

Concerning the site, it is a nightmare to publish. We have a huge set of
files due to javadoc, plus testapidoc (I really don't know what this is
for), plus coverage, plus source xref, plus test source xref ... There
are more than 20000 files in the site and it is more than 470M.

After two hours and an half, the big commit simply failed with a proxy
error (and I am not behind a proxy here, so I don't know were it is).
I understand the rationale behind svnpubsub (security, no shell access
on the server, auditing, logs ...), but it clearly does not scale when
tools regenerate huge amounts of files that are all changed at once and
are all sent in one big commit. I feel this method is an abuse of svn,
its not designed for this kind of transfers.

I give up for tonight.

Luc

On 14 May 2014 19:18, Luc Maisonobe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 11/05/2014 11:55, Luc Maisonobe a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>>
>> As I am not sure this message will be recovered after mail outage, I
>> send it again, with an update of final date.
>>
>> I would like to call a vote to release Commons Math 3.3 based on RC3.
>

> This vote has passed with the following tally:
>
>  - Luc    +1
>  - Gary   -0
>  - Phil   +1
>  - Thomas +1
>  - Gilles +1
>
> I will publish what I can (I guess promoting the maven artifacts has to
> be done by Thomas) and send the announcement.

AFAIK the Nexus staging can be published by any Commons dev.
I think it's only the initial upload that has to be closed by the uploader.

Why not try and see?
Then we will know ...

On 05/14/2014 08:18 PM, Luc Maisonobe wrote:

> Le 11/05/2014 11:55, Luc Maisonobe a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>>
>> As I am not sure this message will be recovered after mail outage, I
>> send it again, with an update of final date.
>>
>> I would like to call a vote to release Commons Math 3.3 based on RC3.
>

> This vote has passed with the following tally:
>
>  - Luc    +1
>  - Gary   -0
>  - Phil   +1
>  - Thomas +1
>  - Gilles +1
>
> I will publish what I can (I guess promoting the maven artifacts has to
> be done by Thomas) and send the announcement.

maven artifacts have been released.

Thomas

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Math 3.3 based on RC3 (second run after mail outage)

Hi Luc

> Le 14/05/2014 20:18, Luc Maisonobe a écrit :
> > Le 11/05/2014 11:55, Luc Maisonobe a écrit :
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> As I am not sure this message will be recovered after mail outage, I
> >> send it again, with an update of final date.
> >>
> >> I would like to call a vote to release Commons Math 3.3 based on RC3.
> >

> > This vote has passed with the following tally:
> >
> >  - Luc    +1
> >  - Gary   -0
> >  - Phil   +1
> >  - Thomas +1
> >  - Gilles +1
> >
> > I will publish what I can (I guess promoting the maven artifacts has to
> > be done by Thomas) and send the announcement.
>
> For your information, I have published everything except site and maven
> artifacts.
>
> Concerning the site, it is a nightmare to publish. We have a huge set of
> files due to javadoc, plus testapidoc (I really don't know what this is
> for), plus coverage, plus source xref, plus test source xref ... There
> are more than 20000 files in the site and it is more than 470M.
>
> After two hours and an half, the big commit simply failed with a proxy
> error (and I am not behind a proxy here, so I don't know were it is).
> I understand the rationale behind svnpubsub (security, no shell access
> on the server, auditing, logs ...), but it clearly does not scale when
> tools regenerate huge amounts of files that are all changed at once and
> are all sent in one big commit. I feel this method is an abuse of svn,
> its not designed for this kind of transfers.
>
> I give up for tonight.

you can checkout the location of the site from
https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/commons/content/proper/,
build the site locally and move it to the checkout. this way you can make
smaller commits by just committing sub directories. It is tedious, but
maybe it works better this way?

HTH
Benedikt

http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Math 3.3 based on RC3 (second run after mail outage)

Luc Maisonobe-2
Hi Benedikt,

Le 16/05/2014 09:09, Benedikt Ritter a écrit :

> Hi Luc

>>> This vote has passed with the following tally:
>>>
>>>  - Luc    +1
>>>  - Gary   -0
>>>  - Phil   +1
>>>  - Thomas +1
>>>  - Gilles +1
>>>
>>> I will publish what I can (I guess promoting the maven artifacts has to
>>> be done by Thomas) and send the announcement.
>>
>> For your information, I have published everything except site and maven
>> artifacts.
>>
>> Concerning the site, it is a nightmare to publish. We have a huge set of
>> files due to javadoc, plus testapidoc (I really don't know what this is
>> for), plus coverage, plus source xref, plus test source xref ... There
>> are more than 20000 files in the site and it is more than 470M.
>>
>> After two hours and an half, the big commit simply failed with a proxy
>> error (and I am not behind a proxy here, so I don't know were it is).
>> I understand the rationale behind svnpubsub (security, no shell access
>> on the server, auditing, logs ...), but it clearly does not scale when
>> tools regenerate huge amounts of files that are all changed at once and
>> are all sent in one big commit. I feel this method is an abuse of svn,
>> its not designed for this kind of transfers.
>>
>> I give up for tonight.
>>

> you can checkout the location of the site from
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/commons/content/proper/,
> build the site locally and move it to the checkout. this way you can make
> smaller commits by just committing sub directories. It is tedious, but
> maybe it works better this way?

This is what I finally did yesterday. It took several hours to complete ...

I really think something we are doing something wrong here. The source
is a single archive less than 5 Mb large. From this, various maven
plugins (javadoc, source xref, jacoco ...) produce tens of thousands of
files and create a folder hierarchy about 470Mb large. So basically I
donwload 5Mb, expand it to 470Mb, and write them back to the other side
of the atlantic and I do it using an extremelly slow protocol : svn. I
do have a broadband connection, but during the transfer it was almost
idle as svn transfered at only about 40kbps, despite the line could
support much higher bandwidth.

I had the feeling I was filling a swimming pool with a teaspoon ...

I am sure there can be something better to upload huge amounts of data,
even if at the end svn is used to store everything. Having svn between
the staging area and the production server is perhaps a good idea, I
don't know. However, using svn for 20000 files/470Mb that are
automatically generated from a small 5Mb source from the other side of
the Earth is really cumbersome.

best regards,
Luc

On 14 May 2014 23:17, Luc Maisonobe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 14/05/2014 20:18, Luc Maisonobe a écrit :
>> Le 11/05/2014 11:55, Luc Maisonobe a écrit :
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> As I am not sure this message will be recovered after mail outage, I
>>> send it again, with an update of final date.
>>>
>>> I would like to call a vote to release Commons Math 3.3 based on RC3.
>>

>> This vote has passed with the following tally:
>>
>>  - Luc    +1
>>  - Gary   -0
>>  - Phil   +1
>>  - Thomas +1
>>  - Gilles +1
>>
>> I will publish what I can (I guess promoting the maven artifacts has to
>> be done by Thomas) and send the announcement.
>
> For your information, I have published everything except site and maven
> artifacts.
>
> Concerning the site, it is a nightmare to publish. We have a huge set of
> files due to javadoc, plus testapidoc (I really don't know what this is
> for), plus coverage, plus source xref, plus test source xref ... There
> are more than 20000 files in the site and it is more than 470M.
>
> After two hours and an half, the big commit simply failed with a proxy
> error (and I am not behind a proxy here, so I don't know were it is).

If you are located outside the US, then you may be using the EU SVN proxy.
The master SVN site is the US one.

> I understand the rationale behind svnpubsub (security, no shell access
> on the server, auditing, logs ...), but it clearly does not scale when
> tools regenerate huge amounts of files that are all changed at once and
> are all sent in one big commit. I feel this method is an abuse of svn,
> its not designed for this kind of transfers.
>
> I give up for tonight.
>
> Luc
>

>> Thanks to everyone
>> Luc
>>

>>> Changes since RC2:
>>>
>>>  * reverted javadoc fixes for Java 8
>>>
>>> Note:
>>>
>>> Commons Math 3.3 does compile with Java 8, but creating the site will
>>> not work due to some incompatibilities:
>>>
>>>  * javadoc: known doclint issue
>>>  * findbugs: not ready for java 8
>>>

>>>  Math 3.3 RC3 is available for review here:
>>>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/
>>>     (svn revision 5295)
>>>
>>>  Maven artifacts are here:
>>>

>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1027/org/apache/commons/commons-math3/3.3/
>>>
>>>  Details of changes since 3.2 are in the release notes:
>>>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>>>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/changes-report.html
>>>
>>>  The tag is here:
>>>     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/tags/MATH_3_3_RC3
>>>     (svn revision 1593137)
>>>
>>>  Site:
>>>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/
>>>   (note the apidocs for the 3.3 release will be added with the release)
>>>
>>>  Clirr Report (compared to 3.2):
>>>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/clirr-report.html
>>>    (note that there are 4 false positives where the signature of a
>>> method has changed such that the parameter type is now the superclass of
>>> the previous type)
>>>
>>>  RAT Report:
>>>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/rat-report.html
>>>
>>>  Findbugs Report:
>>>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC3/findbugs.html
>>>
>>>   KEYS:
>>>   http://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
>>>
>>> Please review the release candidate and vote.
>>>
>>> Note that the artifacts have been prepared by Thomas (thanks to him!)
>>> and he delegated the vote to me. So the signatures correspond to his key
>>> and not mine.
>>>
>>> This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now, that is
>>> 2014-05-14T10:00:00Z (this is UTC time).
>>>
>>>   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
>>>   [ ] +0 OK, but...
>>>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>>>   [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Math 3.3 based on RC3 (second run after mail outage)

Send from my mobile device

> Am 16.05.2014 um 18:45 schrieb Luc Maisonobe <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi Benedikt,
>
> Le 16/05/2014 09:09, Benedikt Ritter a écrit :
>> Hi Luc

>>> For your information, I have published everything except site and maven
>>> artifacts.
>>>
>>> Concerning the site, it is a nightmare to publish. We have a huge set of
>>> files due to javadoc, plus testapidoc (I really don't know what this is
>>> for), plus coverage, plus source xref, plus test source xref ... There
>>> are more than 20000 files in the site and it is more than 470M.
>>>
>>> After two hours and an half, the big commit simply failed with a proxy
>>> error (and I am not behind a proxy here, so I don't know were it is).
>>> I understand the rationale behind svnpubsub (security, no shell access
>>> on the server, auditing, logs ...), but it clearly does not scale when
>>> tools regenerate huge amounts of files that are all changed at once and
>>> are all sent in one big commit. I feel this method is an abuse of svn,
>>> its not designed for this kind of transfers.
>>>
>>> I give up for tonight.
>>
>> you can checkout the location of the site from
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/commons/content/proper/,
>> build the site locally and move it to the checkout. this way you can make
>> smaller commits by just committing sub directories. It is tedious, but
>> maybe it works better this way?
>
> This is what I finally did yesterday. It took several hours to complete ...
>
> I really think something we are doing something wrong here. The source
> is a single archive less than 5 Mb large. From this, various maven
> plugins (javadoc, source xref, jacoco ...) produce tens of thousands of
> files and create a folder hierarchy about 470Mb large. So basically I
> donwload 5Mb, expand it to 470Mb, and write them back to the other side
> of the atlantic and I do it using an extremelly slow protocol : svn. I
> do have a broadband connection, but during the transfer it was almost
> idle as svn transfered at only about 40kbps, despite the line could
> support much higher bandwidth.
>
> I had the feeling I was filling a swimming pool with a teaspoon ...
>
> I am sure there can be something better to upload huge amounts of data,
> even if at the end svn is used to store everything. Having svn between
> the staging area and the production server is perhaps a good idea, I
> don't know. However, using svn for 20000 files/470Mb that are
> automatically generated from a small 5Mb source from the other side of
> the Earth is really cumbersome.

Hi,

maybe we should talk to infra about this? Maybe they can provide a service where one can upload an archive containing the site, that gets extracted and committed to svn?

Bene

On 5/27/14, 11:14 AM, Benedikt Ritter wrote:

> Send from my mobile device
>
>> Am 16.05.2014 um 18:45 schrieb Luc Maisonobe <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Hi Benedikt,
>>
>> Le 16/05/2014 09:09, Benedikt Ritter a écrit :
>>> Hi Luc

>>> you can checkout the location of the site from
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/commons/content/proper/,
>>> build the site locally and move it to the checkout. this way you can make
>>> smaller commits by just committing sub directories. It is tedious, but
>>> maybe it works better this way?
>> This is what I finally did yesterday. It took several hours to complete ...
>>
>> I really think something we are doing something wrong here. The source
>> is a single archive less than 5 Mb large. From this, various maven
>> plugins (javadoc, source xref, jacoco ...) produce tens of thousands of
>> files and create a folder hierarchy about 470Mb large. So basically I
>> donwload 5Mb, expand it to 470Mb, and write them back to the other side
>> of the atlantic and I do it using an extremelly slow protocol : svn. I
>> do have a broadband connection, but during the transfer it was almost
>> idle as svn transfered at only about 40kbps, despite the line could
>> support much higher bandwidth.
>>
>> I had the feeling I was filling a swimming pool with a teaspoon ...
>>
>> I am sure there can be something better to upload huge amounts of data,
>> even if at the end svn is used to store everything. Having svn between
>> the staging area and the production server is perhaps a good idea, I
>> don't know. However, using svn for 20000 files/470Mb that are
>> automatically generated from a small 5Mb source from the other side of
>> the Earth is really cumbersome.
> Hi,
>
> maybe we should talk to infra about this? Maybe they can provide a service where one can upload an archive containing the site, that gets extracted and committed to svn?

I kind of like (and have used) your idea of just checking the whole
mess out from svn, making local mods and checking back in.  works4me.

Phil