[VOTE] Release pool 2.4.1 based on RC1

Phil Steitz
This is a vote to release version 2.4.1 of Apache Commons Pool based on RC1.  Version 2.4.1 is source-identical to 2.4 other than build configuration (pom and findbugs filter).  This release is to replace the defective binary jar created due to a build plugin bug (see POOL-297).

Here is the release candidate:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/
(r9171)

Built from:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_2_4_RC1/
(r1682493)

Release notes:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/RELEASE-NOTES.txt

Maven artifacts:
http://s.apache.org/M5m

site:
http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool/pool-2.4.1-rc1
(I will s/2.4/2.4.1 in the javadoc link post-release)

keys:

https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS

Votes, please.

This vote will close in 24 hours if there are 3 +1 votes by that time.

 [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
 [ ] +0 OK, but...
 [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
 [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

Thanks!

Phil

Re: [VOTE] Release pool 2.4.1 based on RC1

Luc Maisonobe-2
Le 30/05/2015 01:35, Phil Steitz a écrit :

> This is a vote to release version 2.4.1 of Apache Commons Pool based on RC1.  Version 2.4.1 is source-identical to 2.4 other than build configuration (pom and findbugs filter).  This release is to replace the defective binary jar created due to a build plugin bug (see POOL-297).
>
> Here is the release candidate:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/
> (r9171)
>
> Built from:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_2_4_RC1/
> (r1682493)
>
> Release notes:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>
> Maven artifacts:
> http://s.apache.org/M5m
>
> site:
> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool/pool-2.4.1-rc1
> (I will s/2.4/2.4.1 in the javadoc link post-release)
>
> keys:
>
> https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
>
> Votes, please.

When I regenerate the site from source distribution, I get 110 CLIRR
errors, but I consider they are expected (and in fact they are the
reason why this release is done). These errors are related to cobertura
instrumentation having been removed betwee 2.4 and 2.4.1.
I just don't understand why this did not show up in
<http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool/pool-2.4.1-rc1/clirr-report.html>.

There is also one checkstyle error (missing header in a generated
cobertura.properties file), but this should be considered a false
positive as it is a generated file without any Apache IP and therefore
is not expected to have an Apache header.

> This vote will close in 24 hours if there are 3 +1 votes by that time.
>
>  [X] +1 Release these artifacts

Luc

>  [ ] +0 OK, but...
>  [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>  [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Phil

Re: [VOTE] Release pool 2.4.1 based on RC1

sebb-2-2
On 30 May 2015 at 10:21, Luc Maisonobe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 30/05/2015 01:35, Phil Steitz a écrit :
>> This is a vote to release version 2.4.1 of Apache Commons Pool based on RC1.  Version 2.4.1 is source-identical to 2.4 other than build configuration (pom and findbugs filter).  This release is to replace the defective binary jar created due to a build plugin bug (see POOL-297).
>>
>> Here is the release candidate:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/
>> (r9171)
>>
>> Built from:
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_2_4_RC1/
>> (r1682493)
>>
>> Release notes:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>>
>> Maven artifacts:
>> http://s.apache.org/M5m
>>
>> site:
>> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool/pool-2.4.1-rc1
>> (I will s/2.4/2.4.1 in the javadoc link post-release)
>>
>> keys:
>>
>> https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
>>
>> Votes, please.
>
> When I regenerate the site from source distribution, I get 110 CLIRR
> errors, but I consider they are expected (and in fact they are the
> reason why this release is done). These errors are related to cobertura
> instrumentation having been removed betwee 2.4 and 2.4.1.
> I just don't understand why this did not show up in
> <http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool/pool-2.4.1-rc1/clirr-report.html>.

Perhaps because Phil's local Maven repo had the unadulterated version
of the 2.4 jar in it?

On 5/30/15 4:55 AM, sebb wrote:

> On 30 May 2015 at 10:21, Luc Maisonobe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Le 30/05/2015 01:35, Phil Steitz a écrit :
>>> This is a vote to release version 2.4.1 of Apache Commons Pool based on RC1.  Version 2.4.1 is source-identical to 2.4 other than build configuration (pom and findbugs filter).  This release is to replace the defective binary jar created due to a build plugin bug (see POOL-297).
>>>
>>> Here is the release candidate:
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/
>>> (r9171)
>>>
>>> Built from:
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_2_4_RC1/
>>> (r1682493)
>>>
>>> Release notes:
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>>>
>>> Maven artifacts:
>>> http://s.apache.org/M5m
>>>
>>> site:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool/pool-2.4.1-rc1
>>> (I will s/2.4/2.4.1 in the javadoc link post-release)
>>>
>>> keys:
>>>
>>> https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
>>>
>>> Votes, please.
>> When I regenerate the site from source distribution, I get 110 CLIRR
>> errors, but I consider they are expected (and in fact they are the
>> reason why this release is done). These errors are related to cobertura
>> instrumentation having been removed betwee 2.4 and 2.4.1.
>> I just don't understand why this did not show up in
>> <http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool/pool-2.4.1-rc1/clirr-report.html>.
> Perhaps because Phil's local Maven repo had the unadulterated version
> of the 2.4 jar in it?

Yes, that's what happened.  As part of my troubleshooting, I ended
up installing a clean 2.4 jar locally.  I think it is best,
actually, to publish the site without the extraneous Clirr stuff, or
to just generate it with 2.3 as the reference version if that is
possible.  In any case, that should not block the urgent action of
getting a clean binary release out.

Phil

>> There is also one checkstyle error (missing header in a generated
>> cobertura.properties file), but this should be considered a false
>> positive as it is a generated file without any Apache IP and therefore
>> is not expected to have an Apache header.
>>

>>> This vote will close in 24 hours if there are 3 +1 votes by that time.
>>>
>>>  [X] +1 Release these artifacts
>> Luc
>>
>>>  [ ] +0 OK, but...
>>>  [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>>>  [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Phil

Re: [VOTE] Release pool 2.4.1 based on RC1

Oliver Heger-3

Tested again build on Java 1.6 and 1.8 on Windows 8.1, artifacts, and site.

As expected, I get the same clirr errors as reported by Luc and have
still trouble with the ant build as for 2.4.

Oliver

On 5/30/15 8:13 AM, Oliver Heger wrote:
> +1
>
> Tested again build on Java 1.6 and 1.8 on Windows 8.1, artifacts, and site.
>
> As expected, I get the same clirr errors as reported by Luc and have
> still trouble with the ant build as for 2.4.

Thanks!

I chose not to "fix" the ant build because I actually think its
better to reference the more recent jar.  It may be better to
eventually reengineer the ant build to explicitly download the
dependencies.

Phil

> Oliver
>
> Am 30.05.2015 um 01:35 schrieb Phil Steitz:
>> This is a vote to release version 2.4.1 of Apache Commons Pool based on RC1.  Version 2.4.1 is source-identical to 2.4 other than build configuration (pom and findbugs filter).  This release is to replace the defective binary jar created due to a build plugin bug (see POOL-297).
>>
>> Here is the release candidate:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/
>> (r9171)
>>
>> Built from:
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_2_4_RC1/
>> (r1682493)
>>
>> Release notes:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>>
>> Maven artifacts:
>> http://s.apache.org/M5m
>>
>> site:
>> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool/pool-2.4.1-rc1
>> (I will s/2.4/2.4.1 in the javadoc link post-release)
>>
>> keys:
>>
>> https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
>>
>> Votes, please.
>>
>> This vote will close in 24 hours if there are 3 +1 votes by that time.
>>
>>  [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
>>  [ ] +0 OK, but...
>>  [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>>  [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Phil

Re: [VOTE] Release pool 2.4.1 based on RC1

Stefan Bodewig
On 2015-05-30, Phil Steitz wrote:

> Built from:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_2_4_RC1/
> (r1682493)

you mean
<https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_2_4_1_RC1/>,
right (an additional _1) - this also better matches the release number.

> Votes, please.

+1

no functional tests but sigs and hashes look good, surce tag builds for
me and I don't see any suspicious traces of Cobertura instrumentation
inside the jar.

Cheers

        Stefan

Re: [VOTE] Release pool 2.4.1 based on RC1

Phil Steitz

> On May 30, 2015, at 8:58 AM, Stefan Bodewig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 2015-05-30, Phil Steitz wrote:
>>
>> Built from:
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_2_4_RC1/
>> (r1682493)
>
> you mean
> <https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_2_4_1_RC1/>,
> right (an additional _1) - this also better matches the release number.

Yes.  Thanks for pointing that out and thanks for reviewing.

Phil

>> Votes, please.
>
> +1
>
> no functional tests but sigs and hashes look good, surce tag builds for
> me and I don't see any suspicious traces of Cobertura instrumentation
> inside the jar.
>
> Cheers
>
>        Stefan

Re: [VOTE] Release pool 2.4.1 based on RC1

Phil Steitz
Here is my +1

Phil

On 5/29/15 4:35 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:

> This is a vote to release version 2.4.1 of Apache Commons Pool based on RC1.  Version 2.4.1 is source-identical to 2.4 other than build configuration (pom and findbugs filter).  This release is to replace the defective binary jar created due to a build plugin bug (see POOL-297).
>
> Here is the release candidate:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/
> (r9171)
>
> Built from:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_2_4_RC1/
> (r1682493)
>
> Release notes:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>
> Maven artifacts:
> http://s.apache.org/M5m
>
> site:
> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool/pool-2.4.1-rc1
> (I will s/2.4/2.4.1 in the javadoc link post-release)
>
> keys:
>
> https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
>
> Votes, please.
>
> This vote will close in 24 hours if there are 3 +1 votes by that time.
>
>  [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
>  [ ] +0 OK, but...
>  [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>  [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Phil

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release pool 2.4.1 based on RC1

Phil Steitz
This VOTE has passed, with binding +1 votes from
Luc Maisonobe
Oliver Heger
Stefan Bodewig
Phil Steitz