[VOTE] release Apache JCS 2.0-alpha-1 (first try)

[VOTE] release Apache JCS 2.0-alpha-1 (first try)

Romain Manni-Bucau
Hello,

I'd like to release Apache JCS 2.0-alpha-1.

Here is the staging repo:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1053/

My key can be found here:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/jcs/trunk/KEYS

Release note is here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCS-137?jql=fixVersion%20%3D%20jcs-2.0-alpha-1%20AND%20project%20%3D%20JCS%20and%20status%20%3D%20resolved

[ ] +1 Release this version
[ ] -1 Do not release because xxx

The vote will be open as usual for 3 days or until we get all
necessary binding votes.

Thanks,
Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau
http://www.tomitribe.com
http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com
https://github.com/rmannibucau

Re: [VOTE] release Apache JCS 2.0-alpha-1 (first try)

Johannes Weberhofer
Hell Romain,

I've just tried to build SVN revision 1635520; unfortunately apache-rat:check results in:

2 Unknown Licenses

*******************************

Unapproved licenses:

   commons-jcs-sandbox/filecache/.externalToolBuilders/Maven_Ant_Builder.launch
   commons-jcs-sandbox/yajcache/.externalToolBuilders/Maven_Ant_Builder.launch

Best regards,
Johannes

Am 30.10.2014 um 16:06 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to release Apache JCS 2.0-alpha-1.
>
> Here is the staging repo:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1053/
>
> My key can be found here:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/jcs/trunk/KEYS
>
> Release note is here:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCS-137?jql=fixVersion%20%3D%20jcs-2.0-alpha-1%20AND%20project%20%3D%20JCS%20and%20status%20%3D%20resolved
>
> [ ] +1 Release this version
> [ ] -1 Do not release because xxx
>

> The vote will be open as usual for 3 days or until we get all
> necessary binding votes.
>
> Thanks,
> Romain Manni-Bucau
> @rmannibucau
> http://www.tomitribe.com
> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com
> https://github.com/rmannibucau

Johannes Weberhofer
Weberhofer GmbH, Austria, Vienna

Re: [VOTE] release Apache JCS 2.0-alpha-1 (first try)

Romain Manni-Bucau
removed them from trunk

saw also the build didnt create correct src/bin archives not yet sure
why, something to address quickly. I'll try to take some time next
week if nobody does it before me

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau
http://www.tomitribe.com
http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com
https://github.com/rmannibucau

> Hell Romain,
>
> I've just tried to build SVN revision 1635520; unfortunately
> apache-rat:check results in:
>
> 2 Unknown Licenses
>
> *******************************
>
> Unapproved licenses:
>

> commons-jcs-sandbox/filecache/.externalToolBuilders/Maven_Ant_Builder.launch
>
> commons-jcs-sandbox/yajcache/.externalToolBuilders/Maven_Ant_Builder.launch
>

> Best regards,
> Johannes
>

> Am 30.10.2014 um 16:06 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'd like to release Apache JCS 2.0-alpha-1.
>>
>> Here is the staging repo:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1053/
>>
>> My key can be found here:
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/jcs/trunk/KEYS
>>
>> Release note is here:
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCS-137?jql=fixVersion%20%3D%20jcs-2.0-alpha-1%20AND%20project%20%3D%20JCS%20and%20status%20%3D%20resolved
>>
>> [ ] +1 Release this version
>> [ ] -1 Do not release because xxx
>>

>> The vote will be open as usual for 3 days or until we get all
>> necessary binding votes.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Romain Manni-Bucau
>> @rmannibucau
>> http://www.tomitribe.com
>> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com
>> https://github.com/rmannibucau

> Johannes Weberhofer
> Weberhofer GmbH, Austria, Vienna

Re: [VOTE] release Apache JCS 2.0-alpha-1 (first try)

There does not appear to be a src zip to download the whole suite, so...
there is nothing to vote on IMO. I expect a distribution src zip that
contains all of the source like you have when you check out the whole
component from Svn.

Gary

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 11:06 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to release Apache JCS 2.0-alpha-1.
>
> Here is the staging repo:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1053/
>
> My key can be found here:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/jcs/trunk/KEYS
>
> Release note is here:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCS-137?jql=fixVersion%20%3D%20jcs-2.0-alpha-1%20AND%20project%20%3D%20JCS%20and%20status%20%3D%20resolved
>
> [ ] +1 Release this version
> [ ] -1 Do not release because xxx
>

> The vote will be open as usual for 3 days or until we get all
> necessary binding votes.
>
> Thanks,
> Romain Manni-Bucau
> @rmannibucau
> http://www.tomitribe.com
> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com
> https://github.com/rmannibucau

E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] release Apache JCS 2.0-alpha-1 (first try)

garydgregory
BTW, yes, multi-module projects are a pain, but check out Log4j 2, the RMs
did a good job there.

Gary

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] release Apache JCS 2.0-alpha-1 (first try)

Romain Manni-Bucau
yes, that's these ones which are broken:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1053/org/apache/commons/commons-jcs/2.0-alpha-1/

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau
http://www.tomitribe.com
http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com
https://github.com/rmannibucau

> BTW, yes, multi-module projects are a pain, but check out Log4j 2, the RMs
> did a good job there.
>
> Gary
>
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 12:02 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> There does not appear to be a src zip to download the whole suite, so...
>> there is nothing to vote on IMO. I expect a distribution src zip that
>> contains all of the source like you have when you check out the whole
>> component from Svn.
>>
>> Gary
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 11:06 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'd like to release Apache JCS 2.0-alpha-1.
>>>
>>> Here is the staging repo:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1053/
>>>
>>> My key can be found here:
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/jcs/trunk/KEYS
>>>
>>> Release note is here:
>>>
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCS-137?jql=fixVersion%20%3D%20jcs-2.0-alpha-1%20AND%20project%20%3D%20JCS%20and%20status%20%3D%20resolved
>>>
>>> [ ] +1 Release this version
>>> [ ] -1 Do not release because xxx
>>>

>>> The vote will be open as usual for 3 days or until we get all
>>> necessary binding votes.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Romain Manni-Bucau
>>> @rmannibucau
>>> http://www.tomitribe.com
>>> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com
>>> https://github.com/rmannibucau

>> --
>> E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
>> <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
>> Home: http://garygregory.com/

> <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
> Home: http://garygregory.com/
> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] release Apache JCS 2.0-alpha-1 (first try)

Thomas Vandahl
On 30.10.14 16:06, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:
Please check http://commons.apache.org/releases/prepare.html for the
necessary steps. I wrote that the assemblies need to be checked because
the project had been restructured. So right now you will get no proper
source package that can be voted on.

Bye, Thomas.

Re: [VOTE] release Apache JCS 2.0-alpha-1 (first try)

Romain Manni-Bucau
I need to rename src/bin zip but here are another try:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1057/org/apache/commons/dist/2.0-alpha-1/

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau
http://www.tomitribe.com
http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com
https://github.com/rmannibucau

> On 30.10.14 16:06, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'd like to release Apache JCS 2.0-alpha-1.
>>
>> Here is the staging repo:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1053/
>>
>> My key can be found here:
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/jcs/trunk/KEYS
>>
>> Release note is here:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCS-137?jql=fixVersion%20%3D%20jcs-2.0-alpha-1%20AND%20project%20%3D%20JCS%20and%20status%20%3D%20resolved
>
> Please check http://commons.apache.org/releases/prepare.html for the
> necessary steps. I wrote that the assemblies need to be checked because
> the project had been restructured. So right now you will get no proper
> source package that can be voted on.
>
> Bye, Thomas.

Re: [VOTE] release Apache JCS 2.0-alpha-1 (first try)

garydgregory
But that is not our process.

You need to:
- CANCEL the RC1 VOTE (which you labeled 'first try' instead of RC1).
- Drop the RC from Nexus.
- Rebuild a release candidate, tag is and VOTE on it as RC2; see
https://wiki.apache.org/commons/UsingNexus

Ideally, there should be recreate the RC1 tag in the repo based on the SVN
rev on which you cut the 'first try'.

Our release process is not great, but that's what we've got.

Gary

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] release Apache JCS 2.0-alpha-1 (first try)

Romain Manni-Bucau
> But that is not our process.

sure, just an eager access

> You need to:
> - CANCEL the RC1 VOTE (which you labeled 'first try' instead of RC1).

Will do this afternoon

> - Drop the RC from Nexus.

Done

> - Rebuild a release candidate, tag is and VOTE on it as RC2; see
> https://wiki.apache.org/commons/UsingNexus

Tag should be done but as said I'm not happy about
org/apache/commons/dist so I'll VOTE on next tag.

> Ideally, there should be recreate the RC1 tag in the repo based on the SVN
> rev on which you cut the 'first try'.
>

> Our release process is not great, but that's what we've got.
>
> Gary

Just wanted to show you what assemblies I have ATM and gather feedback
before creating next vote.

wrote:

> I need to rename src/bin zip but here are another try:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1057/org/apache/commons/dist/2.0-alpha-1/

I think the file names should be prefixed with "commons-jcs", not "dist".

Gary

Home: http://garygregory.com/

wrote:

> I need to rename src/bin zip but here are another try:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1057/org/apache/commons/dist/2.0-alpha-1/

IMO, I do not think the KEYS file belongs in the src zip (or bin, I did not
check that one), the VOTE email and site should contain a link to the
Commons KEYS file. That's what other Commons components do.

For example:
https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-codec/download_codec.cgi

Gary

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] release Apache JCS 2.0-alpha-1 (first try)

I suggest that you create a BUILDING.txt file in the root of the project
that guide users and reviewers as to how to build and validate the code.

This kind of work is especially painful for multi-module projects like this
one.

Check out Log4j's BUILDING.txt as an example:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=logging-log4j2.git;a=blob;f=BUILDING.txt;h=9d19e905e10c34faca85fc8ac87925928176ec4f;hb=HEAD

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] release Apache JCS 2.0-alpha-1 (first try)

Romain Manni-Bucau
added a BUILDING.txt (small for now but that's a start)

seems zips are better now, names too

Does anyone have some times to help me on site generation? Not sure
how to proceed on this side.