Whatever happened to commons-io 2.5?

Benson Margulies
There are bugs marked fixed for years awaiting this release.

Re: Whatever happened to commons-io 2.5?

garydgregory
I think we got started and staled a while back. We just need an RM to step
up or step back in.

Gary

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 9:30 AM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> There are bugs marked fixed for years awaiting this release.

E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: Whatever happened to commons-io 2.5?

Benson Margulies
I'm a member emeritus. Can I do it without being voted as something else?

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 12:33 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think we got started and staled a while back. We just need an RM to step
> up or step back in.
>
> Gary
>
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 9:30 AM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> There are bugs marked fixed for years awaiting this release.

> <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
> Home: http://garygregory.com/
> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: Whatever happened to commons-io 2.5?

James Carman
I don't think we take away karma, just membership to the PMC.

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 12:45 PM Benson Margulies <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I'm a member emeritus. Can I do it without being voted as something else?
>

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 12:33 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > I think we got started and staled a while back. We just need an RM to
> step
> > up or step back in.
> >
> > Gary
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 9:30 AM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> There are bugs marked fixed for years awaiting this release.

> > --
> > E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
> > <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
> > Home: http://garygregory.com/

Re: Whatever happened to commons-io 2.5?

Benson Margulies
I was never a member of the commons PMC, or a voted committer, I just
had commit access (I thought) due to the decision to give a wide group
of people access.

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 12:46 PM, James Carman
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't think we take away karma, just membership to the PMC.
>
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 12:45 PM Benson Margulies <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm a member emeritus. Can I do it without being voted as something else?
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 12:33 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > I think we got started and staled a while back. We just need an RM to
>> step
>> > up or step back in.
>> >
>> > Gary

>> > --
>> > E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
>> > Java Persistence with Hibernate, Second Edition
>> > <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
>> > JUnit in Action, Second Edition <http://www.manning.com/tahchiev/>
>> > Spring Batch in Action <http://www.manning.com/templier/>
>> > Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
>> > Home: http://garygregory.com/
>> > Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: Whatever happened to commons-io 2.5?

dlmarion
I don't think a non-committer can be a RM as I don't believe JIRA permissions have been opened up as well. Please correct me if I am wrong, as I have been waiting a long time for a VFS 2.1 release.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't think we take away karma, just membership to the PMC.
>
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 12:45 PM Benson Margulies <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm a member emeritus. Can I do it without being voted as something else?
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 12:33 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > I think we got started and staled a while back. We just need an RM to
>> step
>> > up or step back in.
>> >
>> > Gary

>> > --
>> > E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
>> > Java Persistence with Hibernate, Second Edition
>> > <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
>> > JUnit in Action, Second Edition <http://www.manning.com/tahchiev/>
>> > Spring Batch in Action <http://www.manning.com/templier/>
>> > Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
>> > Home: http://garygregory.com/
>> > Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: Whatever happened to commons-io 2.5?

dlmarion
Sorry, let me re-phrase: I don't think someone with commit rights can be a RM, I think additional JIRA permissions are required.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't think we take away karma, just membership to the PMC.
>
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 12:45 PM Benson Margulies <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm a member emeritus. Can I do it without being voted as something else?
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 12:33 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > I think we got started and staled a while back. We just need an RM to
>> step
>> > up or step back in.
>> >
>> > Gary

>> > --
>> > E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
>> > Java Persistence with Hibernate, Second Edition
>> > <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
>> > JUnit in Action, Second Edition <http://www.manning.com/tahchiev/>
>> > Spring Batch in Action <http://www.manning.com/templier/>
>> > Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
>> > Home: http://garygregory.com/
>> > Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: Whatever happened to commons-io 2.5?

Benson Margulies
Well, here we are. I'm willing to help, but you'd have to give me
enough permission.

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 1:27 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry, let me re-phrase: I don't think someone with commit rights can be a RM, I think additional JIRA permissions are required.

Mark Thomas
On 11/04/2016 18:30, Benson Margulies wrote:
> Well, here we are. I'm willing to help, but you'd have to give me
> enough permission.

Benson,

Willing volunteers are always welcome.

As an ASF committer, you already have commit to Commons.

As an ASF Member, you know what is expected.

Crack on and shout if you hit a problem. I should be able to grant you
any karma you need. The only exception is if you need to be on the PMC.
That will trigger a delay of however long it takes us to vote and
(assuming we vote yes) the 72 hours we have to wait for the board. That
said, I don't think there is anything in the release process that
requires PMC membership.

Mark

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 1:27 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Sorry, let me re-phrase: I don't think someone with commit rights can be a RM, I think additional JIRA permissions are required.

There might be a speed bump when it is time to publish to Nexus. That might
require PMC karma. Same for copying files for pub/sub. That would be a good
thing to doc on the wiki/site.

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: Whatever happened to commons-io 2.5?

Benson Margulies
So, there's a tag for 2.5-RC3.

And there are recent commits.

I propose to move the version on trunk back to 2.5-SNAPSHOT, and then
tee up a 2.5-RC4 release from the current state of trunk, rather than
leave all the changes since the RC waiting for another day. Is there a
reason not to do that?

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 4:36 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There might be a speed bump when it is time to publish to Nexus. That might
> require PMC karma. Same for copying files for pub/sub. That would be a good
> thing to doc on the wiki/site.

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 12:28 PM, Mark Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 11/04/2016 18:30, Benson Margulies wrote:
>> > Well, here we are. I'm willing to help, but you'd have to give me
>> > enough permission.
>>
>> Benson,
>>
>> Willing volunteers are always welcome.
>>
>> As an ASF committer, you already have commit to Commons.
>>
>> As an ASF Member, you know what is expected.
>>
>> Crack on and shout if you hit a problem. I should be able to grant you
>> any karma you need. The only exception is if you need to be on the PMC.
>> That will trigger a delay of however long it takes us to vote and
>> (assuming we vote yes) the 72 hours we have to wait for the board. That
>> said, I don't think there is anything in the release process that
>> requires PMC membership.
>>
>> Mark

>> be a RM, I think additional JIRA permissions are required.

First Karma issue:

Sending        KEYS
Transmitting file data .svn: E195023: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: E195023: Changing file '/Users/benson/asf/commons/KEYS' is
forbidden by the server
svn: E175013: Access to
'/repos/dist/!svn/txr/13132-b9c/release/commons/KEYS' forbidden
svn: E195023: Your commit message was left in a temporary file:
svn: E195023:    '/Users/benson/asf/commons/svn-commit.tmp'

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 5:45 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So, there's a tag for 2.5-RC3.
>
> And there are recent commits.
>
> I propose to move the version on trunk back to 2.5-SNAPSHOT, and then
> tee up a 2.5-RC4 release from the current state of trunk, rather than
> leave all the changes since the RC waiting for another day. Is there a
> reason not to do that?
>

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 4:36 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> There might be a speed bump when it is time to publish to Nexus. That might
>> require PMC karma. Same for copying files for pub/sub. That would be a good
>> thing to doc on the wiki/site.

>>> Benson,
>>>
>>> Willing volunteers are always welcome.
>>>
>>> As an ASF committer, you already have commit to Commons.
>>>
>>> As an ASF Member, you know what is expected.
>>>
>>> Crack on and shout if you hit a problem. I should be able to grant you
>>> any karma you need. The only exception is if you need to be on the PMC.
>>> That will trigger a delay of however long it takes us to vote and
>>> (assuming we vote yes) the 72 hours we have to wait for the board. That
>>> said, I don't think there is anything in the release process that
>>> requires PMC membership.
>>>
>>> Mark

>>> be a RM, I think additional JIRA permissions are required.

I'm assuming this code hasn't been moved to git, based on the lack of
discussion of same on the relevant web page.

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 5:52 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> First Karma issue:
>
> Sending        KEYS
> Transmitting file data .svn: E195023: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: E195023: Changing file '/Users/benson/asf/commons/KEYS' is
> forbidden by the server
> svn: E175013: Access to
> '/repos/dist/!svn/txr/13132-b9c/release/commons/KEYS' forbidden
> svn: E195023: Your commit message was left in a temporary file:
> svn: E195023:    '/Users/benson/asf/commons/svn-commit.tmp'
>

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 5:45 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> So, there's a tag for 2.5-RC3.
>>
>> And there are recent commits.
>>
>> I propose to move the version on trunk back to 2.5-SNAPSHOT, and then
>> tee up a 2.5-RC4 release from the current state of trunk, rather than
>> leave all the changes since the RC waiting for another day. Is there a
>> reason not to do that?
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 4:36 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> There might be a speed bump when it is time to publish to Nexus. That might
>>> require PMC karma. Same for copying files for pub/sub. That would be a good
>>> thing to doc on the wiki/site.

sebb-2-2
On 11 April 2016 at 22:56, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm assuming this code hasn't been moved to git, based on the lack of
> discussion of same on the relevant web page.

AIUI the dist/ tree will never be moved to Git because it has so much
data in it, and it's not possible to check out a part of a Git repo.

I think the problem is that you are not in the Commons Unix group.

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 5:52 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> First Karma issue:
>>
>> Sending        KEYS
>> Transmitting file data .svn: E195023: Commit failed (details follow):
>> svn: E195023: Changing file '/Users/benson/asf/commons/KEYS' is
>> forbidden by the server
>> svn: E175013: Access to
>> '/repos/dist/!svn/txr/13132-b9c/release/commons/KEYS' forbidden
>> svn: E195023: Your commit message was left in a temporary file:
>> svn: E195023:    '/Users/benson/asf/commons/svn-commit.tmp'
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 5:45 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> So, there's a tag for 2.5-RC3.
>>>
>>> And there are recent commits.
>>>
>>> I propose to move the version on trunk back to 2.5-SNAPSHOT, and then
>>> tee up a 2.5-RC4 release from the current state of trunk, rather than
>>> leave all the changes since the RC waiting for another day. Is there a
>>> reason not to do that?

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 2:45 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> So, there's a tag for 2.5-RC3.
>
> And there are recent commits.
>
> I propose to move the version on trunk back to 2.5-SNAPSHOT, and then
> tee up a 2.5-RC4 release from the current state of trunk, rather than
> leave all the changes since the RC waiting for another day. Is there a
> reason not to do that?

I do not see why not. Go for it.

Gary

Home: http://garygregory.com/

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 3:41 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11 April 2016 at 22:56, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'm assuming this code hasn't been moved to git, based on the lack of
> > discussion of same on the relevant web page.
> >

> AIUI the dist/ tree will never be moved to Git because it has so much
> data in it, and it's not possible to check out a part of a Git repo.

Really? It seems like keeping the whole repo is a good idea. How much data
are we talking about here?

Are we talking about a Git limit or an Apache limit?

Gary

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: Whatever happened to commons-io 2.5?

Benson Margulies
I volunteered here because I (mis?) remembered that commons had
decided to activate the 'univeral commit bit', so that I would already
have commit access. Are you willing to add me to the group?

On 11 April 2016 at 23:57, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I volunteered here because I (mis?) remembered that commons had
> decided to activate the 'univeral commit bit', so that I would already
> have commit access.

The dist repo is not the same as the commons repo; they don't even
share the same parent.

> Are you willing to add me to the group?

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 6:44 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> AIUI the dist/ tree will never be moved to Git because it has so much
>>> data in it, and it's not possible to check out a part of a Git repo.
>>>

>> Really? It seems like keeping the whole repo is a good idea. How much data
>> are we talking about here?
>>
>> Are we talking about a Git limit or an Apache limit?
>>
>> Gary
>>

>>> I think the problem is that you are not in the Commons Unix group.

>>> might
>>> a good

>>> you
>>> PMC.
>>> That

>>> can

A patch:

Index: KEYS
--- KEYS (revision 13132)
+++ KEYS (working copy)
@@ -5463,3 +5463,60 @@
 6fqEt2OSFSkWiApqq6lxMRluTiq33bSquTxSomKfQQ==
 =PImz
 -----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
+
+pub   4096R/98B1CC53 2010-10-23
+uid                  Benson Margulies <[hidden email]>
+sub   4096R/C5E91334 2010-10-23
+

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 7:04 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11 April 2016 at 23:57, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I volunteered here because I (mis?) remembered that commons had
>> decided to activate the 'univeral commit bit', so that I would already
>> have commit access.
>
> The dist repo is not the same as the commons repo; they don't even
> share the same parent.
>
>> Are you willing to add me to the group?

>>> Really? It seems like keeping the whole repo is a good idea. How much data
>>> are we talking about here?
>>>
>>> Are we talking about a Git limit or an Apache limit?
>>>
>>> Gary

Weird, I'm having trouble applying the patch (my own ineptitude no doubt)
Can someone else give it a go SVP?

Gary

12