Where should the Span contribution be placed?

Where should the Span contribution be placed?

Claude Warren
I would like to submit a contribution of an interface and a couple of
classes that implement the concept of a Span.  A span has a starting point
and a length and can return the size.  It is constructed from either a
starting point and length, or starting point and size.  It has methods to
determine if another span overlaps it or is a specific point is within the
span.

I am willing to create a pull request to add this class but am unsure which
module to put it in.  My  thought was collections as it has a general use
in slicing arrays and in creating buffers that are very large.  I will
contribute buffer code if requested.

Claude

<http://like-like.xenei.com>

Re: Where should the Span contribution be placed?

Matt Sicker
There's a Range class in commons lang that sounds related, so I'd suggest
that library as a potential home. Or it might be possible to extend Range
if it makes sense?

Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: Where should the Span contribution be placed?

Bernd Eckenfels
Hello Claude,

I agree, your mentioned classessound like theywould fit in Commons Collection or maybe Commons Lang (or IO), depending on your focus.

Whats your typical usecase for it?

Thanks for considering contribution. Make sure to check out https://github.com/apache/commons-collections/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net