[all] What versions of java do we support?

[all] What versions of java do we support?

Rob Tompkins
Hello all,

I would think that with the Amazon Corretto play at long term support for java 8 and 11 we would want to build using the latest version of the Corretto 8-JDK, and we would want to ensure that we work for Java 11. Regarding later versions of Java I’m a tad agnostic currently as we are less certain with their stability.

What are folks’ thoughts?

-Rob

Re: [all] What versions of java do we support?

Gilles Sadowski-2
Hello.

Le jeu. 21 mars 2019 à 19:13, Rob Tompkins <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hello all,
>
> I would think that with the Amazon Corretto play at long term support for java 8 and 11 we would want to build using the latest version of the Corretto 8-JDK, and we would want to ensure that we work for Java 11. Regarding later versions of Java I’m a tad agnostic currently as we are less certain with their stability.
>
> What are folks’ thoughts?

I don't understand the question/issue.
Isn't Java motto "Build Once Run Eveywhere"?

Gilles

> -Rob

Re: [all] What versions of java do we support?

Ralph Goers
Why are you singling out Corretto? What about AdoptOpenJDK or RedHat’s OpenJDK support? The ASF is supposed to be vendor neutral.

Ralph

> On Mar 21, 2019, at 11:05 AM, Rob Tompkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I would think that with the Amazon Corretto play at long term support for java 8 and 11 we would want to build using the latest version of the Corretto 8-JDK, and we would want to ensure that we work for Java 11. Regarding later versions of Java I’m a tad agnostic currently as we are less certain with their stability.
>
> What are folks’ thoughts?
>
> -Rob

Re: [all] What versions of java do we support?

Rob Tompkins
Is there LTS with those other imolementations?

> On Mar 21, 2019, at 9:43 PM, Ralph Goers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Why are you singling out Corretto? What about AdoptOpenJDK or RedHat’s OpenJDK support? The ASF is supposed to be vendor neutral.
>
> Ralph
>
>> On Mar 21, 2019, at 11:05 AM, Rob Tompkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I would think that with the Amazon Corretto play at long term support for java 8 and 11 we would want to build using the latest version of the Corretto 8-JDK, and we would want to ensure that we work for Java 11. Regarding later versions of Java I’m a tad agnostic currently as we are less certain with their stability.
>>
>> What are folks’ thoughts?
>>
>> -Rob

Re: [all] What versions of java do we support?

Bernd Eckenfels
Nearly all vendors I have seen announced to follow voluntarily or commercial guaranteed the OpenJDK LTS versions (11, some 8) (Redhat, adoptopenjdk, Azul, ojdkbuild, sapengine, Amazon, Ubuntu/Debian, suse). Actually only Oracle‘s OpenJDK is not.

Gruss
Bernd
--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net

________________________________
Is there LTS with those other imolementations?

> On Mar 21, 2019, at 9:43 PM, Ralph Goers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Why are you singling out Corretto? What about AdoptOpenJDK or RedHat’s OpenJDK support? The ASF is supposed to be vendor neutral.
>
> Ralph
>
>> On Mar 21, 2019, at 11:05 AM, Rob Tompkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I would think that with the Amazon Corretto play at long term support for java 8 and 11 we would want to build using the latest version of the Corretto 8-JDK, and we would want to ensure that we work for Java 11. Regarding later versions of Java I’m a tad agnostic currently as we are less certain with their stability.
>>
>> What are folks’ thoughts?
>>
>> -Rob

Re: [all] What versions of java do we support?

Rob Tompkins

> On Mar 21, 2019, at 10:22 PM, Bernd Eckenfels <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Nearly all vendors I have seen announced to follow voluntarily or commercial guaranteed the OpenJDK LTS versions (11, some 8) (Redhat, adoptopenjdk, Azul, ojdkbuild, sapengine, Amazon, Ubuntu/Debian, suse). Actually only Oracle‘s OpenJDK is not.

Cool. Then pardon my being tied to a vendor.

Regardless, I suppose the question remains the same though right? We should be compatible with both 8 and 11.

-Rob

> Gruss
> Bernd
> --
> http://bernd.eckenfels.net
>
> ________________________________

garydgregory
On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 10:29 PM Rob Tompkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On Mar 21, 2019, at 10:22 PM, Bernd Eckenfels <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Nearly all vendors I have seen announced to follow voluntarily or
> commercial guaranteed the OpenJDK LTS versions (11, some 8) (Redhat,
> adoptopenjdk, Azul, ojdkbuild, sapengine, Amazon, Ubuntu/Debian, suse).
> Actually only Oracle‘s OpenJDK is not.
> >

> Cool. Then pardon my being tied to a vendor.
>
> Regardless, I suppose the question remains the same though right? We
> should be compatible with both 8 and 11.

I think we should generalize this to Oracle and anyone's LTS version for
Java >= 8.

Gary

> -Rob
>
> > Gruss
> > Bernd
> > --
> > http://bernd.eckenfels.net
> >
> > ________________________________

Matt Sicker
Ensuring projects are source compatible with 1.8 but buildable and
usable using Java 11 or whatever the latest release is at the time
(currently 12) seems like a good compromise for most of the libraries.
I wouldn't require 9+ in anything unless it's pointless for earlier
releases of Java or if it's necessary to continue the logical path of
development by supporting new APIs.

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 at 07:30, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 10:29 PM Rob Tompkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > > On Mar 21, 2019, at 10:22 PM, Bernd Eckenfels <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Nearly all vendors I have seen announced to follow voluntarily or
> > commercial guaranteed the OpenJDK LTS versions (11, some 8) (Redhat,
> > adoptopenjdk, Azul, ojdkbuild, sapengine, Amazon, Ubuntu/Debian, suse).
> > Actually only Oracle‘s OpenJDK is not.
> > >

> > Cool. Then pardon my being tied to a vendor.
> >
> > Regardless, I suppose the question remains the same though right? We
> > should be compatible with both 8 and 11.
> >

> I think we should generalize this to Oracle and anyone's LTS version for
> Java >= 8.
>
> Gary
>

> > -Rob
> >
> > > Gruss
> > > Bernd
> > > --
> > > http://bernd.eckenfels.net
> > >
> > > ________________________________

Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: [all] What versions of java do we support?

sebb-2-2
On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 at 21:27, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ensuring projects are source compatible with 1.8 but buildable and
> usable using Java 11 or whatever the latest release is at the time
> (currently 12) seems like a good compromise for most of the libraries.
> I wouldn't require 9+ in anything unless it's pointless for earlier
> releases of Java or if it's necessary to continue the logical path of
> development by supporting new APIs.

I would go a bit further and say it's counter-productive to update to
a new version of Java just for the sake of it.
If extensive changes are being made, and these require the next
version, then OK.

But updating to the next version of Java and only making a few minor
changes before the next release seems wrong.

Note that Oracle extended support for Java 6 only just ended (Dec 2018)
Java 7 has extended support until July 2022.

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/java-se-support-roadmap.html