[all] java release cycle predicament

Rob Tompkins
Hello all,

It occurs to me that we are in a bit of a predicament in terms of being able to remain current with java, if the projected 6-month release to EOL cycle for major versions of java indeed continues. For example, as of now java9 is EOL, yet we still don’t have sufficient build tools (maybe almost) to even think about doing a release building with java9, let alone the current version of java, v10. For example, [lang] fails on mvn -Prelease -Ptest-deploy clean test site deploy on java10 with the following error:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:3.7.1:site (default-site) on project commons-lang3: failed to get report for org.codehaus.mojo:cobertura-maven-plugin: Plugin org.codehaus.mojo:cobertura-maven-plugin:2.7 or one of its dependencies could not be resolved: Could not find artifact com.sun:tools:jar:0 at specified path /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-10.0.1.jdk/Contents/Home/../lib/tools.jar

What are we to do if they keep up this cycle? Depressing as it may seem, I don’t see the current OSS java ecosystem sustainable. We won’t get stable maven build plugins fast enough to keep up. We can keep building to java8, but I don’t know what to do with higher versions.

Any thoughts or ideas? Everything that I can think of is ugly at best.

-Rob

Re: [all] java release cycle predicament

jodastephen
Look at Joda-Convert/Joda-Parent for example. A Java 6 project that
builds on Java 8 or later, and has a module-info.java.

Cobertura just needs replacing with JaCoCo.

FindBugs replaced by SpotBugs

Lots of plugin versions updated.

And lots of profiles, as per Joda-Convert/Joda-Parent

Stephen
https://github.com/JodaOrg/joda-convert
https://github.com/JodaOrg/joda-parent

On 10 July 2018 at 17:32, Rob Tompkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> It occurs to me that we are in a bit of a predicament in terms of being able to remain current with java, if the projected 6-month release to EOL cycle for major versions of java indeed continues. For example, as of now java9 is EOL, yet we still don’t have sufficient build tools (maybe almost) to even think about doing a release building with java9, let alone the current version of java, v10. For example, [lang] fails on mvn -Prelease -Ptest-deploy clean test site deploy on java10 with the following error:
>
> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:3.7.1:site (default-site) on project commons-lang3: failed to get report for org.codehaus.mojo:cobertura-maven-plugin: Plugin org.codehaus.mojo:cobertura-maven-plugin:2.7 or one of its dependencies could not be resolved: Could not find artifact com.sun:tools:jar:0 at specified path /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-10.0.1.jdk/Contents/Home/../lib/tools.jar
>
> What are we to do if they keep up this cycle? Depressing as it may seem, I don’t see the current OSS java ecosystem sustainable. We won’t get stable maven build plugins fast enough to keep up. We can keep building to java8, but I don’t know what to do with higher versions.
>
> Any thoughts or ideas? Everything that I can think of is ugly at best.
>
> -Rob

Re: [all] java release cycle predicament

Rob Tompkins

> On Jul 10, 2018, at 12:53 PM, Stephen Colebourne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Look at Joda-Convert/Joda-Parent for example. A Java 6 project that
> builds on Java 8 or later, and has a module-info.java.
>
> Cobertura just needs replacing with JaCoCo.
>
> FindBugs replaced by SpotBugs
>
> Lots of plugin versions updated.
>
> And lots of profiles, as per Joda-Convert/Joda-Parent
>
> Stephen
> https://github.com/JodaOrg/joda-convert
> https://github.com/JodaOrg/joda-parent

Thanks Stephen. How far behind the java release cycle (in months) do you find that you are?

> On 10 July 2018 at 17:32, Rob Tompkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> It occurs to me that we are in a bit of a predicament in terms of being able to remain current with java, if the projected 6-month release to EOL cycle for major versions of java indeed continues. For example, as of now java9 is EOL, yet we still don’t have sufficient build tools (maybe almost) to even think about doing a release building with java9, let alone the current version of java, v10. For example, [lang] fails on mvn -Prelease -Ptest-deploy clean test site deploy on java10 with the following error:
>>
>> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:3.7.1:site (default-site) on project commons-lang3: failed to get report for org.codehaus.mojo:cobertura-maven-plugin: Plugin org.codehaus.mojo:cobertura-maven-plugin:2.7 or one of its dependencies could not be resolved: Could not find artifact com.sun:tools:jar:0 at specified path /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-10.0.1.jdk/Contents/Home/../lib/tools.jar
>>
>> What are we to do if they keep up this cycle? Depressing as it may seem, I don’t see the current OSS java ecosystem sustainable. We won’t get stable maven build plugins fast enough to keep up. We can keep building to java8, but I don’t know what to do with higher versions.
>>
>> Any thoughts or ideas? Everything that I can think of is ugly at best.
>>
>> -Rob

Re: [all] java release cycle predicament

jodastephen
At present, everything works in Java 11, and thats not released yet.
Here is day job project with similar setup running Java 11 on Travis
https://travis-ci.org/OpenGamma/Strata/builds/401792237

Ultimately, all builds are dependent on many other teams, but while
Java 9 was bad, 10 and 11 have generally been fine.
Stephen