[bcel] Next release

Emmanuel Bourg-3
Hi all,

I'm currently working on the migration to Java 8 in Debian and several
packages are broken due to the lack of invokedynamic support in BCEL 5.2
(the dreaded ClassFormatException: Invalid byte tag in constant pool:
18). I think it's high time for a release. Even if the current code
isn't perfect it's far better than BCEL 5.2 (there are ~60 issues fixed
in JIRA).

The code on the trunk isn't fully compatible with the previous release
due to the addition of methods to the Visitor interface. By Commons
standards we would usually change the package, however I think it's safe
to keep the org.apache.bcel package as is. The Visitor interface is
never implemented directly, I have found that projects always extend the
EmptyVisitor class instead. I've rebuilt several projects using BCEL
(ant, ant-contrib, clirr, clirr-maven-plugin, ha-jdbc, jbossas, jibx,
mx4j, xalan, maven-shared-jar, robocode) and they all worked fine with
the current snapshot.

The code on the trunk is numbered 6.0, are we ok with that or should we
use 5.3 for the next release?

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [bcel] Next release

Torsten Curdt-3
Go go go! Thanks for looking into this :)

IIRC there is so much stuff fixed and changed from 5.2 - I think
calling it 6.0 expresses this better than 5.3.
Especially with the changes to the visitor interface.

cheers,
Torsten

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:30 PM, Emmanuel Bourg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently working on the migration to Java 8 in Debian and several
> packages are broken due to the lack of invokedynamic support in BCEL 5.2
> (the dreaded ClassFormatException: Invalid byte tag in constant pool:
> 18). I think it's high time for a release. Even if the current code
> isn't perfect it's far better than BCEL 5.2 (there are ~60 issues fixed
> in JIRA).
>
> The code on the trunk isn't fully compatible with the previous release
> due to the addition of methods to the Visitor interface. By Commons
> standards we would usually change the package, however I think it's safe
> to keep the org.apache.bcel package as is. The Visitor interface is
> never implemented directly, I have found that projects always extend the
> EmptyVisitor class instead. I've rebuilt several projects using BCEL
> (ant, ant-contrib, clirr, clirr-maven-plugin, ha-jdbc, jbossas, jibx,
> mx4j, xalan, maven-shared-jar, robocode) and they all worked fine with
> the current snapshot.
>
> The code on the trunk is numbered 6.0, are we ok with that or should we
> use 5.3 for the next release?
>
> Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [bcel] Next release

garydgregory
Either version # is fine with me.

Gary

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 8:40 AM, Torsten Curdt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Go go go! Thanks for looking into this :)
>
> IIRC there is so much stuff fixed and changed from 5.2 - I think
> calling it 6.0 expresses this better than 5.3.
> Especially with the changes to the visitor interface.
>
> cheers,
> Torsten
>
> On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:30 PM, Emmanuel Bourg <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm currently working on the migration to Java 8 in Debian and several
> > packages are broken due to the lack of invokedynamic support in BCEL 5.2
> > (the dreaded ClassFormatException: Invalid byte tag in constant pool:
> > 18). I think it's high time for a release. Even if the current code
> > isn't perfect it's far better than BCEL 5.2 (there are ~60 issues fixed
> > in JIRA).
> >
> > The code on the trunk isn't fully compatible with the previous release
> > due to the addition of methods to the Visitor interface. By Commons
> > standards we would usually change the package, however I think it's safe
> > to keep the org.apache.bcel package as is. The Visitor interface is
> > never implemented directly, I have found that projects always extend the
> > EmptyVisitor class instead. I've rebuilt several projects using BCEL
> > (ant, ant-contrib, clirr, clirr-maven-plugin, ha-jdbc, jbossas, jibx,
> > mx4j, xalan, maven-shared-jar, robocode) and they all worked fine with
> > the current snapshot.
> >
> > The code on the trunk is numbered 6.0, are we ok with that or should we
> > use 5.3 for the next release?
> >
> > Emmanuel Bourg

E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [bcel] Next release

Benedikt Ritter-4
I'm not sure we should rush this... this my be the way to jar hell. But I'm
not using BCEL in my projects so I can not really tell if it's a problem.

--
http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter

Re: [bcel] Next release

garydgregory
That that I think about it, sem ver says we should do 6.0 next, so let's do
that.

Next we should discuss if we should change package names.

Gary

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [bcel] Next release

Dave Brosius-2
I think it should be 6.0 since we've changed from requiring jdk1.4 to
jdk1.5 and that really shouldn't be done on a point release.

---

On 2014-04-25 08:57, Gary Gregory wrote:

> Either version # is fine with me.
>
> Gary
>

> On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 8:40 AM, Torsten Curdt <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Go go go! Thanks for looking into this :)
>>
>> IIRC there is so much stuff fixed and changed from 5.2 - I think
>> calling it 6.0 expresses this better than 5.3.
>> Especially with the changes to the visitor interface.
>>
>> cheers,
>> Torsten
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:30 PM, Emmanuel Bourg <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I'm currently working on the migration to Java 8 in Debian and several
>> > packages are broken due to the lack of invokedynamic support in BCEL 5.2
>> > (the dreaded ClassFormatException: Invalid byte tag in constant pool:
>> > 18). I think it's high time for a release. Even if the current code
>> > isn't perfect it's far better than BCEL 5.2 (there are ~60 issues fixed
>> > in JIRA).
>> >
>> > The code on the trunk isn't fully compatible with the previous release
>> > due to the addition of methods to the Visitor interface. By Commons
>> > standards we would usually change the package, however I think it's safe
>> > to keep the org.apache.bcel package as is. The Visitor interface is
>> > never implemented directly, I have found that projects always extend the
>> > EmptyVisitor class instead. I've rebuilt several projects using BCEL
>> > (ant, ant-contrib, clirr, clirr-maven-plugin, ha-jdbc, jbossas, jibx,
>> > mx4j, xalan, maven-shared-jar, robocode) and they all worked fine with
>> > the current snapshot.
>> >
>> > The code on the trunk is numbered 6.0, are we ok with that or should we
>> > use 5.3 for the next release?
>> >
>> > Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [bcel] Next release

garydgregory
FWIW: We've changed Java requirements in minor releases before.

Gary

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [bcel] Next release

sebb-2-2
Also, JDK 1.4 is really old now; it's highly unlikely that anyone is
stuck on it.

But if there are other significant changes I don't object to a major
version bump.

On 25 April 2014 15:49, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FWIW: We've changed Java requirements in minor releases before.
>
> Gary
>

> On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Dave Brosius <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I think it should be 6.0 since we've changed from requiring jdk1.4 to
>> jdk1.5 and that really shouldn't be done on a point release.
>>
>> ---
>>

>> On 2014-04-25 08:57, Gary Gregory wrote:
>>
>>> Either version # is fine with me.
>>>
>>> Gary
>>>

>>> On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 8:40 AM, Torsten Curdt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>  Go go go! Thanks for looking into this :)

> Home: http://garygregory.com/
> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [bcel] Next release

We should update the JRE requirement to a least java 6.

stuck on it.

But if there are other significant changes I don't object to a major
version bump.

On 25 April 2014 15:49, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FWIW: We've changed Java requirements in minor releases before.
>
> Gary
>

> On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Dave Brosius <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I think it should be 6.0 since we've changed from requiring jdk1.4 to
>> jdk1.5 and that really shouldn't be done on a point release.
>>
>> ---
>>

>> On 2014-04-25 08:57, Gary Gregory wrote:
>>
>>> Either version # is fine with me.
>>>
>>> Gary
>>>

>>> On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 8:40 AM, Torsten Curdt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>  Go go go! Thanks for looking into this :)

> Home: http://garygregory.com/
> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [bcel] Next release

sebb-2-2
There is a huge difference between 4 and 5.
But Java 6 does not offer much, so I say stick with Java 5 unless the
code needs Java 6.

On 25 April 2014 23:09, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We should update the JRE requirement to a least java 6.

> stuck on it.
>
> But if there are other significant changes I don't object to a major
> version bump.
>
> On 25 April 2014 15:49, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> FWIW: We've changed Java requirements in minor releases before.
>>
>> Gary
>>

>> On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Dave Brosius <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I think it should be 6.0 since we've changed from requiring jdk1.4 to
>>> jdk1.5 and that really shouldn't be done on a point release.
>>>
>>> ---

>> --
>> E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
>> Java Persistence with Hibernate, Second Edition<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
>> Home: http://garygregory.com/

Re: [bcel] Next release

dkulp

Is there any update to a possible new BCEL release that would work with Java8.   This is a blocker for full Java8 support for Apache CXF (due to JIBX), Camel (again, JIBX), etc...

Dan

Emmanuel Bourg-3 wrote

Le 30/05/2014 19:05, dkulp a écrit :

> Is there any update to a possible new BCEL release that would work with
> Java8.   This is a blocker for full Java8 support for Apache CXF (due to
> JIBX), Camel (again, JIBX), etc...

Hi Dan,

I'm going to prepare the release next week.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [bcel] Next release

Hi Dan,

The only obstacle is finding the time... which I have in short supply ATM.

I hope we can step up and provide a new release though.

I have seen some commits recently fly by...

Can you look at what is in trunk and see what is missing for you?

If there specific features that are missing, one or more Jira tickets would
help.

Thank you,
Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [bcel] Next release

anatoliy.balakirev
Hi,

Any news on bcel 6.0 release?

Re: [bcel] Next release

garydgregory
I think we are pretty close but we've been distracted by some internal
squabbling ;-)

Perhaps the RM volunteer can set expectations WRT timing.

Gary

Home: http://garygregory.com/

Le 30/10/2014 15:24, Gary Gregory a écrit :

> Perhaps the RM volunteer can set expectations WRT timing.

I'm going to prepare a new RC this weekend.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [bcel] Next release

anatoliy.balakirev
Oh, great news! Sorry for potentially stupid question, but what is the next step? You'll have to live with this release candidate for some time or release will follow immediatelly?

Re: [bcel] Next release

Emmanuel Bourg-3
Le 30/10/2014 17:38, anatoliy.balakirev a écrit :
> Oh, great news! Sorry for potentially stupid question, but what is the next
> step? You'll have to live with this release candidate for some time or
> release will follow immediatelly?

If the release candidate pass the vote it will become an official release.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [bcel] Next release

anatoliy.balakirev
Hello,

How is it going with release candidate?

Re: [bcel] Next release

anatoliy.balakirev

Looks like RC wasn't so successfull :(
Is it related to some blocker issues there? Will it be safe to use current SNAPSHOT version (with removing SNAPSHOT and renaming it somehow for our purposes)? We need it for JIBX to migrate to java 8.
12