[beanutils] Moving to beanutils2

garydgregory
The changes for:

BEANUTILS-500 Upgrade commons-collections to 4

break BC (see BEANUTILS-500).

Therefore, I created BEANUTILS-503: Change packaging from
org.apache.commons.beanutils to org.apache.commons.beanutils2

This change should happen sooner rather than later IMO to allow folks using
SNAPSHOT builds to adapt.

Thoughts?

RE: [beanutils] Moving to beanutils2

dbrosIus
Agree, I can do this tonite.

Re: [beanutils] Moving to beanutils2

On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 11:55 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> The changes for:
>
> BEANUTILS-500 Upgrade commons-collections to 4
>
> break BC (see BEANUTILS-500).
>
> Therefore, I created BEANUTILS-503: Change packaging from
> org.apache.commons.beanutils to org.apache.commons.beanutils2
>
> This change should happen sooner rather than later IMO to allow folks
> using SNAPSHOT builds to adapt.
>
> Thoughts?

This is done is SVN trunk.

Re: [beanutils] Moving to beanutils2

Benedikt Ritter-4

> Am 29.12.2017 um 19:58 schrieb Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>:
>
> On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 11:55 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> The changes for:
>>
>> BEANUTILS-500 Upgrade commons-collections to 4
>>
>> break BC (see BEANUTILS-500).
>>
>> Therefore, I created BEANUTILS-503: Change packaging from
>> org.apache.commons.beanutils to org.apache.commons.beanutils2
>>
>> This change should happen sooner rather than later IMO to allow folks
>> using SNAPSHOT builds to adapt.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

> This is done is SVN trunk.

We already have a complete rewrite of the BeanUtils API in the sandbox [1]. What do we want to do with that?

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/sandbox/beanutils2/trunk/

> Gary
>

>> Gary

Re: [beanutils] Moving to beanutils2

garydgregory
Who can speak to that code base?

Gary

On Dec 30, 2017 03:54, "Benedikt Ritter" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Am 29.12.2017 um 19:58 schrieb Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 11:55 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> The changes for:
> >>
> >> BEANUTILS-500 Upgrade commons-collections to 4
> >>
> >> break BC (see BEANUTILS-500).
> >>
> >> Therefore, I created BEANUTILS-503: Change packaging from
> >> org.apache.commons.beanutils to org.apache.commons.beanutils2
> >>
> >> This change should happen sooner rather than later IMO to allow folks
> >> using SNAPSHOT builds to adapt.
> >>
> >> Thoughts?
> >>

> > This is done is SVN trunk.
>
> We already have a complete rewrite of the BeanUtils API in the sandbox
> [1]. What do we want to do with that?
>
> Regards,
> Benedikt
>
> [1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/sandbox/beanutils2/trunk/
>

> > Gary
> >

> >> Gary

Re: [beanutils] Moving to beanutils2

> Am 30.12.2017 um 16:24 schrieb Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>:
>
> Who can speak to that code base?

I’ve worked on BeanUtils2 some years ago together with Simone Tripodi. I think we should better work on this redesign instead oh pushing the old code base as 2.0 just to fix some dependencies. In fact I think that BeanUtils 1 exposes classes from Commons Collections in its public API is a big mess that we should fix when we roll a new major release.

> On Dec 30, 2017 03:54, "Benedikt Ritter" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>> Am 29.12.2017 um 19:58 schrieb Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>:

>>> This is done is SVN trunk.
>>
>> We already have a complete rewrite of the BeanUtils API in the sandbox
>> [1]. What do we want to do with that?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Benedikt
>>
>> [1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/sandbox/beanutils2/trunk/
>>

>>> Gary

Re: [beanutils] Moving to beanutils2

garydgregory
Since the old 2.0 branch is so... "sleepy" and I've not seen Simone here in
a long time, I'd rather keep the train moving as it is and if someone
really wants a breaking BC release, maybe that would be for a 3.0... or is
this simple a case of changing BU APIs from returning [collections]
concrete classes and/or interfaces instead of JRE interfaces?

Gary

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 8:12 AM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Am 30.12.2017 um 16:24 schrieb Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Who can speak to that code base?
>
> I’ve worked on BeanUtils2 some years ago together with Simone Tripodi. I
> think we should better work on this redesign instead oh pushing the old
> code base as 2.0 just to fix some dependencies. In fact I think that
> BeanUtils 1 exposes classes from Commons Collections in its public API is a
> big mess that we should fix when we roll a new major release.
>
> Benedikt
>

> > Gary

> >> We already have a complete rewrite of the BeanUtils API in the sandbox
> >> [1]. What do we want to do with that?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Benedikt
> >>
> >> [1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/sandbox/beanutils2/trunk/

[beanutils] release?

Dave Brosius-2
Given the lack of impetus around doing anything more grand with
beanutils, can we put out the current state of beanutils as 2.0 so we
can get rid of the old commons-collections dependency, and then if folks
would like, we can think about moving on with what's on the alternative
branch in the future?

Re: [beanutils] release?

garydgregory
On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 10:00 PM, Dave Brosius <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Given the lack of impetus around doing anything more grand with beanutils,
> can we put out the current state of beanutils as 2.0 so we can get rid of
> the old commons-collections dependency, and then if folks would like, we
> can think about moving on with what's on the alternative branch in the
> future?

That's fine with me.

Re: [beanutils] release?

garydgregory
On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 10:04 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 10:00 PM, Dave Brosius <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Given the lack of impetus around doing anything more grand with
>> beanutils, can we put out the current state of beanutils as 2.0 so we can
>> get rid of the old commons-collections dependency, and then if folks would
>> like, we can think about moving on with what's on the alternative branch in
>> the future?
>>

> That's fine with me.

But we might as well release commons-collection4 4.2 first.

Re: [beanutils] release?

sebb-2-2
On 6 February 2018 at 05:04, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 10:04 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 10:00 PM, Dave Brosius <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Given the lack of impetus around doing anything more grand with
>>> beanutils, can we put out the current state of beanutils as 2.0 so we can
>>> get rid of the old commons-collections dependency, and then if folks would
>>> like, we can think about moving on with what's on the alternative branch in
>>> the future?
>>>

>> That's fine with me.
>>

> But we might as well release commons-collection4 4.2 first.

Surely the two are independent?