[codec] No snapshots built automatically

[codec] No snapshots built automatically

Alex Herbert
Codec is absent from the snapshots repo [1].

How are snapshots usually performed? Is this something to set up on the Jenkins build with INFRA?

[1] https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/commons/ <https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/commons/>

Re: [codec] No snapshots built automatically

Gilles Sadowski-2
> Codec is absent from the snapshots repo [1].
>
> How are snapshots usually performed? Is this something to set up on the
> Jenkins build with INFRA?

No; you can create a Jenkins project there:
    https://builds.apache.org/view/A-D/view/Commons/
(e.g. there is option to "copy an existing item", and then only have to
do minimal changes).
If the build passes, artefacts are uploaded to the snapshot repository.

> [1]
> https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/commons/
> <https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/commons/>

Re: [codec] No snapshots built automatically

Alex Herbert

> On 23 Nov 2019, at 12:20, Gilles Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Codec is absent from the snapshots repo [1].
>>
>> How are snapshots usually performed? Is this something to set up on the
>> Jenkins build with INFRA?
>
> No; you can create a Jenkins project there:
>    https://builds.apache.org/view/A-D/view/Commons/
> (e.g. there is option to "copy an existing item", and then only have to
> do minimal changes).
> If the build passes, artefacts are uploaded to the snapshot repository.

After spending a while clicking a lot of links I think that I am missing some permissions for Jenkins. I cannot create new Jenkins projects. I cannot find anywhere in the commons-rng menus to see how the post-build action to deploy is configured in that project (I know this works for one of the rng Jenkins jobs).

I presume that this is a simple option just missing from the codec Jenkins job [1]. But I cannot see where to configure it, or if I have permissions to do so.

Alex

[1] https://builds.apache.org/view/A-D/view/Commons/job/Commons-Codec/ <https://builds.apache.org/view/A-D/view/Commons/job/Commons-Codec/>

>> [1]
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/commons/
>> <https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/commons/>

Re: [codec] No snapshots built automatically

Gilles Sadowski-2

>> On 23 Nov 2019, at 12:20, Gilles Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Codec is absent from the snapshots repo [1].
>>>
>>> How are snapshots usually performed? Is this something to set up on the
>>> Jenkins build with INFRA?
>>
>> No; you can create a Jenkins project there:
>>    https://builds.apache.org/view/A-D/view/Commons/
>> (e.g. there is option to "copy an existing item", and then only have to
>> do minimal changes).
>> If the build passes, artefacts are uploaded to the snapshot repository.
>>

> After spending a while clicking a lot of links I think that I am missing
> some permissions for Jenkins. I cannot create new Jenkins projects. I cannot
> find anywhere in the commons-rng menus to see how the post-build action to
> deploy is configured in that project (I know this works for one of the rng
> Jenkins jobs).
>
> I presume that this is a simple option just missing from the codec Jenkins
> job [1].

Sorry, I had understood that there was no Jenkins project.
I've just created a "commons-codec-test" (to avoid breaking anything);
it seems that the "deploy" maven goal was missing.
The "test" project created the snapshots:
    https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/commons-codec/commons-codec/1.14-SNAPSHOT/

> But I cannot see where to configure it, or if I have permissions to
> do so.

Are you logged in?

Giles

Re: [codec] No snapshots built automatically

Alex Herbert

>>> No; you can create a Jenkins project there:
>>>   https://builds.apache.org/view/A-D/view/Commons/
>>> (e.g. there is option to "copy an existing item", and then only have to
>>> do minimal changes).
>>> If the build passes, artefacts are uploaded to the snapshot repository.
>>>

>> After spending a while clicking a lot of links I think that I am missing
>> some permissions for Jenkins. I cannot create new Jenkins projects. I cannot
>> find anywhere in the commons-rng menus to see how the post-build action to
>> deploy is configured in that project (I know this works for one of the rng
>> Jenkins jobs).
>>
>> I presume that this is a simple option just missing from the codec Jenkins
>> job [1].
>
> Sorry, I had understood that there was no Jenkins project.
> I've just created a "commons-codec-test" (to avoid breaking anything);
> it seems that the "deploy" maven goal was missing.
> The "test" project created the snapshots:
>    https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/commons-codec/commons-codec/1.14-SNAPSHOT/ <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/commons-codec/commons-codec/1.14-SNAPSHOT/>
>
>> But I cannot see where to configure it, or if I have permissions to
>> do so.
>
> Are you logged in?

I can log in. But I cannot see any options that would indicate that I have admin rights.

When I click the 'Open Blue Ocean’ link to change the view the top bar has a Pipelines tab but not an Administration tab. If I click Pipelines I do not see a ’New’ option. This is not what I expect given the documentation on how to use the Blue Ocean pages [1].

If you have these options it seems I do not have privileges.

[1] https://jenkins.io/doc/book/blueocean/creating-pipelines/ <https://jenkins.io/doc/book/blueocean/creating-pipelines/>

Re: [codec] No snapshots built automatically

Gilles Sadowski-2
Hello.

>> [...]
> >> But I cannot see where to configure it, or if I have permissions to
> >> do so.
> >
> > Are you logged in?
>
> I can log in. But I cannot see any options that would indicate that I have admin rights.

When I log in, what changes is the number of options in the (left) menu.
The first entry there is "New Item".
If you don't see it when logged in, that's probably worth inquiring at INFRA.

> When I click the 'Open Blue Ocean’ link to change the view the top bar has a Pipelines tab but not an Administration tab. If I click Pipelines I do not see a ’New’ option. This is not what I expect given the documentation on how to use the Blue Ocean pages [1].

Never used this...

Best,
Gilles

> If you have these options it seems I do not have privileges.
>
> [1] https://jenkins.io/doc/book/blueocean/creating-pipelines/ <https://jenkins.io/doc/book/blueocean/creating-pipelines/>

Re: [codec] No snapshots built automatically

Matt Sicker
I believe the PMC Chair can grant Jenkins permissions to people.

On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 at 15:42, Gilles Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> >> [...]
> > >
> > > Are you logged in?
> >
> > I can log in. But I cannot see any options that would indicate that I have admin rights.
>
> When I log in, what changes is the number of options in the (left) menu.
> The first entry there is "New Item".
> If you don't see it when logged in, that's probably worth inquiring at INFRA.
>

> > When I click the 'Open Blue Ocean’ link to change the view the top bar has a Pipelines tab but not an Administration tab. If I click Pipelines I do not see a ’New’ option. This is not what I expect given the documentation on how to use the Blue Ocean pages [1].
>
> Never used this...
>
> Best,
> Gilles
>

> > If you have these options it seems I do not have privileges.
> >
> > [1] https://jenkins.io/doc/book/blueocean/creating-pipelines/ <https://jenkins.io/doc/book/blueocean/creating-pipelines/>

Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

On 23/11/2019 14:00, Gilles Sadowski wrote:
> Sorry, I had understood that there was no Jenkins project.
> I've just created a "commons-codec-test" (to avoid breaking anything);
> it seems that the "deploy" maven goal was missing.
> The "test" project created the snapshots:
>      https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/commons-codec/commons-codec/1.14-SNAPSHOT/

I can now login and administer Jenkins.

Looking at a few of the other commons projects some use 'deploy' in the
maven goals and some use a post-build action to deploy the artifacts.
The later seems to be relevant for multi-module builds to prevent
deploying some modules but not all of them due to a build error part way
through process.

Since it worked for your test project and this is a single module build
I have added 'deploy -Dgpg.skip' to the maven goals on the standard
commons-codec project.

I suggest we delete 'commons-codec-test' and see if the snapshots keep
updating.

Alex

Le jeu. 28 nov. 2019 à 12:48, Alex Herbert <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> On 23/11/2019 14:00, Gilles Sadowski wrote:
> > Sorry, I had understood that there was no Jenkins project.
> > I've just created a "commons-codec-test" (to avoid breaking anything);
> > it seems that the "deploy" maven goal was missing.
> > The "test" project created the snapshots:
> >      https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/commons-codec/commons-codec/1.14-SNAPSHOT/
>
> I can now login and administer Jenkins.

:-)

> [...]
> I suggest we delete 'commons-codec-test'

Done.

Gilles