[codec] SipHash

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[codec] SipHash

Alex Herbert
While going through the MurmurHash3 code I noted that the wikipedia page states that it can be sensitive to some types of collision. The was shown by the authors of SipHash [1].

Is it worth adding SipHash to the codec digest package? It is the hash used in hash table implementations of several languages.

The reference c code offers 64-bit and 128-bit hash output.

Alex

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SipHash <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SipHash>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [codec] SipHash

Giorgio Zoppi
Hello,
Yes it is, but siphash is in part a Mac.


El sáb., 23 nov. 2019 a las 9:46, Alex Herbert (<[hidden email]>)
escribió:

> While going through the MurmurHash3 code I noted that the wikipedia page
> states that it can be sensitive to some types of collision. The was shown
> by the authors of SipHash [1].
>
> Is it worth adding SipHash to the codec digest package? It is the hash
> used in hash table implementations of several languages.
>
> The reference c code offers 64-bit and 128-bit hash output.
>
> Alex
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SipHash <
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SipHash>
>
>

--
Life is a chess game - Anonymous.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [codec] SipHash

Alex Herbert


> On 23 Nov 2019, at 11:17, Giorgio Zoppi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
> Yes it is, but siphash is in part a Mac.

Surely that applies to any hash function that can be seeded with a key?

It is not a crytographic strength hash but it may of use to have an implementation in codec.

>
>
> El sáb., 23 nov. 2019 a las 9:46, Alex Herbert (<[hidden email]>)
> escribió:
>
>> While going through the MurmurHash3 code I noted that the wikipedia page
>> states that it can be sensitive to some types of collision. The was shown
>> by the authors of SipHash [1].
>>
>> Is it worth adding SipHash to the codec digest package? It is the hash
>> used in hash table implementations of several languages.
>>
>> The reference c code offers 64-bit and 128-bit hash output.
>>
>> Alex
>>
>> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SipHash <
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SipHash>
>>
>>
>
> --
> Life is a chess game - Anonymous.


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]