[collections] finalizing 4.3 release

Maxim Solodovnik
Hello All,

I'm planning to finalize the release

I have couple of questions:
Current dist/release contains
1) binaries for 3.2.2 and 4.2
2) RELEASE-NOTES.txt for 3.2.2 + 4.1 + 4.2

I plan to move 4.3 binaries to dist/release, wait 24 hours then drop 4.2
Is it OK? shall I also drop 3.2.2 binaries?

Shall I add 4.3 RELEASE-NOTES on top of currebt release notes? Or
maybe it can be just replaced?

Do you have any instruction how to update the site?

Thanks in advance

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: [collections] finalizing 4.3 release

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 8:44 AM Maxim Solodovnik <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I'm planning to finalize the release
>
> I have couple of questions:
> Current dist/release contains
> 1) binaries for 3.2.2 and 4.2
> 2) RELEASE-NOTES.txt for 3.2.2 + 4.1 + 4.2
>
> I plan to move 4.3 binaries to dist/release, wait 24 hours then drop 4.2
> Is it OK? shall I also drop 3.2.2 binaries?

I do not think so. The current site tracks three versions for download, see
https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-collections/download_collections.cgi

Since 4.3 now requires Java 8, the style of the current site would suggest
to add an entry at the top of this page for 4.3 on Java 8.

We can discuss separately if and when we should drop 3.2.2 from that page.

> Shall I add 4.3 RELEASE-NOTES on top of currebt release notes? Or
> maybe it can be just replaced?

My personal preference is for release notes to contain all versions. This
allows me to know what I to expect when I upgrade, for example, from 3.2.2
to 4.3 in one hop.

> Do you have any instruction how to update the site?

https://commons.apache.org/releases/index.html

Gary

On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 22:29, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 8:44 AM Maxim Solodovnik <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I'm planning to finalize the release
> >
> > I have couple of questions:
> > Current dist/release contains
> > 1) binaries for 3.2.2 and 4.2
> > 2) RELEASE-NOTES.txt for 3.2.2 + 4.1 + 4.2
> >
> > I plan to move 4.3 binaries to dist/release, wait 24 hours then drop 4.2
> > Is it OK? shall I also drop 3.2.2 binaries?
> >

> I do not think so. The current site tracks three versions for download, see
>
> https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-collections/download_collections.cgi

OK, but this is weird
As you can see there are no 4.1 binaries here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/commons/collections/binaries/
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/commons/collections/source/

> Since 4.3 now requires Java 8, the style of the current site would suggest
> to add an entry at the top of this page for 4.3 on Java 8.
>
> We can discuss separately if and when we should drop 3.2.2 from that page.
>

> > Shall I add 4.3 RELEASE-NOTES on top of currebt release notes? Or
> > maybe it can be just replaced?
> >

> My personal preference is for release notes to contain all versions. This
> allows me to know what I to expect when I upgrade, for example, from 3.2.2
> to 4.3 in one hop.
>

> > Do you have any instruction how to update the site?
> >

> https://commons.apache.org/releases/index.html

Thanks for the link!

> Gary
>

> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > --
> > WBR
> > Maxim aka solomax

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: [collections] finalizing 4.3 release

garydgregory
On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 10:55 AM Maxim Solodovnik <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 22:29, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 8:44 AM Maxim Solodovnik <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hello All,
> > >
> > > I'm planning to finalize the release
> > >
> > > I have couple of questions:
> > > Current dist/release contains
> > > 1) binaries for 3.2.2 and 4.2
> > > 2) RELEASE-NOTES.txt for 3.2.2 + 4.1 + 4.2
> > >
> > > I plan to move 4.3 binaries to dist/release, wait 24 hours then drop
> 4.2
> > > Is it OK? shall I also drop 3.2.2 binaries?
> > >

> > I do not think so. The current site tracks three versions for download,
> see
> >

> https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-collections/download_collections.cgi
> >

> OK, but this is weird
> As you can see there are no 4.1 binaries here:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/commons/collections/binaries/
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/commons/collections/source/

Well, that's a bummer and is might even be my mistake on a previous
release! Can you restore them from svn?

Gary

> > Since 4.3 now requires Java 8, the style of the current site would
> suggest
> > to add an entry at the top of this page for 4.3 on Java 8.
> >
> > We can discuss separately if and when we should drop 3.2.2 from that
> page.
> >

> > > Shall I add 4.3 RELEASE-NOTES on top of currebt release notes? Or
> > > maybe it can be just replaced?
> > >

> > My personal preference is for release notes to contain all versions. This
> > allows me to know what I to expect when I upgrade, for example, from
> 3.2.2
> > to 4.3 in one hop.
> >

> > > Do you have any instruction how to update the site?
> > >

> > https://commons.apache.org/releases/index.html
> >

> Thanks for the link!
>

> > Gary
> >

> > > Thanks in advance
> > >
> > > --
> > > WBR
> > > Maxim aka solomax

> WBR
> Maxim aka solomax

Re: [collections] finalizing 4.3 release

garydgregory
I do not understand why MC lists 4.3 as released back in December.

https://search.maven.org/search?q=g:org.apache.commons%20AND%20a:commons-collections4&core=gav

Do we need to republish to MC?

Gary

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 11:41 AM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 10:55 AM Maxim Solodovnik <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 22:29, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hello,

>> 4.2
>> > >

>> > I do not think so. The current site tracks three versions for download,
>> see
>> >

>> https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-collections/download_collections.cgi
>> >

>> OK, but this is weird
>> As you can see there are no 4.1 binaries here:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/commons/collections/binaries/
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/commons/collections/source/
>

> Well, that's a bummer and is might even be my mistake on a previous
> release! Can you restore them from svn?
>
> Gary
>

>> > Since 4.3 now requires Java 8, the style of the current site would
>> suggest
>> > to add an entry at the top of this page for 4.3 on Java 8.
>> >
>> > We can discuss separately if and when we should drop 3.2.2 from that
>> page.

>> > My personal preference is for release notes to contain all versions.
>> This
>> > allows me to know what I to expect when I upgrade, for example, from
>> 3.2.2
>> > to 4.3 in one hop.

>> > https://commons.apache.org/releases/index.html
>> >

>> Thanks for the link!
>>

>> > Gary

>> --
>> WBR
>> Maxim aka solomax

Re: [collections] finalizing 4.3 release

Maxim Solodovnik
Hello Gary,

Actually all "old" releases should be downloaded from
https://archive.apache.org/dist/commons/collections/
dist.a.o is synced to mirrors and should contain latest releases only
(multiple releases are OK if several branches are being supported by
community)

So I'm not sure it is good idea to restore 4.1 ...

According to release date: released artifacts were build December 26 ....

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Can someone from PMCs add release data to https://reporter.apache.org ?

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: [collections] finalizing 4.3 release

Gilles Sadowski-2
Hi.

Release notes[1] refer to [Pool]:
---CUT---
http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-collections/download_pool.cgi
---CUT---

[And there is no mention of the Clirr issue...]

Gilles

[1]  https://archive.apache.org/dist/commons/collections/RELEASE-NOTES.txt

Le mer. 6 févr. 2019 à 02:59, Maxim Solodovnik <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Can someone from PMCs add release data to https://reporter.apache.org ?

Done.

Re: [collections] finalizing 4.3 release

Maxim Solodovnik
The site is not yet updated
I'll modify release notes and will add note regarding clirr issue

will try to do it tomorrow
sorry for delay

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: [collections] finalizing 4.3 release

Maxim Solodovnik
Would it be enough to add following text to RELEASE-NOTES.txt? Or proof
links also need to be added?

Please NOTE: Clirr errors reported for this release are false positive,
this is prooved by Japicmp report
And manual testing.

And, I guess, same text should be added to release_4_3.html ?

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: [collections] finalizing 4.3 release

thc202
Hi.

So, who/what released it? I guess those GA coordinates are synced from
Apache?
Was it just a mistake when RC1 was cancelled? (Dates match.) Or, is it a
rogue release/library?

Based on:
https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.commons/commons-collections4

it's already being used.

Should someone contact OSSRH to remove it?

Best regards.

On 05/02/2019 16:42, Gary Gregory wrote:

> I do not understand why MC lists 4.3 as released back in December.
>
> https://search.maven.org/search?q=g:org.apache.commons%20AND%20a:commons-collections4&core=gav
>
> Do we need to republish to MC?
>
> Gary
>
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 11:41 AM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 10:55 AM Maxim Solodovnik <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> 4.2

>>> see
>>>>

>>> https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-collections/download_collections.cgi
>>>>

>>> OK, but this is weird
>>> As you can see there are no 4.1 binaries here:
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/commons/collections/binaries/
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/commons/collections/source/
>>

>> Well, that's a bummer and is might even be my mistake on a previous
>> release! Can you restore them from svn?
>>
>> Gary

>>> suggest

>>> page.

>>> This
>>> 3.2.2

>>> Thanks for the link!

>>> --
>>> WBR
>>> Maxim aka solomax

Re: [collections] finalizing 4.3 release

thc202
Sorry, I missed the remark from Maxim:

> According to release date: released artifacts were build December 26

Can you confirm that it shows the date when the artifacts were built and
not released?

Best regards.

On 07/02/2019 16:07, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi.
>
> So, who/what released it? I guess those GA coordinates are synced from
> Apache?
> Was it just a mistake when RC1 was cancelled? (Dates match.) Or, is it a
> rogue release/library?
>
> Based on:
> https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.commons/commons-collections4
>
> it's already being used.
>
> Should someone contact OSSRH to remove it?
>
> Best regards.
>
> On 05/02/2019 16:42, Gary Gregory wrote:
>> I do not understand why MC lists 4.3 as released back in December.
>>
>> https://search.maven.org/search?q=g:org.apache.commons%20AND%20a:commons-collections4&core=gav
>>
>> Do we need to republish to MC?
>>
>> Gary
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 11:41 AM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Well, that's a bummer and is might even be my mistake on a previous
>>> release! Can you restore them from svn?
>>>
>>> Gary

Re: [collections] finalizing 4.3 release

thc202
OK, I see that the RC2 started in the same day as RC1 was cancelled so
the dates do make sense.

Sorry for the noise! :/

Best regards.

On 07/02/2019 16:13, [hidden email] wrote:

> Sorry, I missed the remark from Maxim:
>
>> According to release date: released artifacts were build December 26
>
> Can you confirm that it shows the date when the artifacts were built and
> not released?
>
> Best regards.
>
> On 07/02/2019 16:07, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> So, who/what released it? I guess those GA coordinates are synced from
>> Apache?
>> Was it just a mistake when RC1 was cancelled? (Dates match.) Or, is it a
>> rogue release/library?
>>
>> Based on:
>> https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.commons/commons-collections4
>>
>> it's already being used.
>>
>> Should someone contact OSSRH to remove it?
>>
>> Best regards.
>>
>> On 05/02/2019 16:42, Gary Gregory wrote:
>>> I do not understand why MC lists 4.3 as released back in December.
>>>
>>> https://search.maven.org/search?q=g:org.apache.commons%20AND%20a:commons-collections4&core=gav
>>>
>>> Do we need to republish to MC?
>>>
>>> Gary

Re: [collections] finalizing 4.3 release

Maxim Solodovnik
The site is updated
4.1 binaries are restored

Thanks a lot for the help!

On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 at 23:31, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK, I see that the RC2 started in the same day as RC1 was cancelled so
> the dates do make sense.
>
> Sorry for the noise! :/
>
> Best regards.
>
> On 07/02/2019 16:13, [hidden email] wrote:
> > Sorry, I missed the remark from Maxim:
> >
> >> According to release date: released artifacts were build December 26
> >
> > Can you confirm that it shows the date when the artifacts were built and
> > not released?
> >
> > Best regards.
> >
> > On 07/02/2019 16:07, [hidden email] wrote:
> >> Hi.
> >>
> >> So, who/what released it? I guess those GA coordinates are synced from
> >> Apache?
> >> Was it just a mistake when RC1 was cancelled? (Dates match.) Or, is it a
> >> rogue release/library?
> >>
> >> Based on:
> >> https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.commons/commons-collections4
> >>
> >> it's already being used.
> >>
> >> Should someone contact OSSRH to remove it?
> >>
> >> Best regards.

WBR
Maxim aka solomax