[collections][proposal] Java 7

garydgregory
Hi All:

I propose we make Java 7 the minimum for Commons Collection 4.2.

Re: [collections][proposal] Java 7

Amey Jadiye

Amey

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017, 3:48 AM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> I propose we make Java 7 the minimum for Commons Collection 4.2.

Re: [collections][proposal] Java 7

Benedikt Ritter-4
Go for it!

Amey Jadiye <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mi. 26. Juli 2017 um 05:33:

> +1
>
> Regards,
> Amey
>
> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017, 3:48 AM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi All:
> >
> > I propose we make Java 7 the minimum for Commons Collection 4.2.

Re: [collections][proposal] Java 7

dbrosIus

On 07/25/2017 06:18 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> I propose we make Java 7 the minimum for Commons Collection 4.2.

Re: [collections][proposal] Java 7

Dave Brosius

On 07/25/2017 06:18 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> I propose we make Java 7 the minimum for Commons Collection 4.2.

Re: [collections][proposal] Java 7

Claude Warren
+1 -- time to move forward

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 1:23 PM, Dave Brosius <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> +1
>

> On 07/25/2017 06:18 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
>> Hi All:
>>
>> I propose we make Java 7 the minimum for Commons Collection 4.2.
>>
>> Gary

<http://like-like.xenei.com>

Re: [collections][proposal] Java 7

jochen-2
Wouldn't that make it 5.0? (Binary incompatible change)

Note: I am not opposing the change, I just propose an additional
change in the version number.

Jochen

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 12:18 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> I propose we make Java 7 the minimum for Commons Collection 4.2.

Re: [collections][proposal] Java 7

Matt Benson-2
I think Jochen is correct wrt the major version bump. But that gets me
thinking: what did Java 7 bring that is of any particular relevance
for [collections]? Wouldn't it present a much larger opportunity to
make the jump to Java 8?

Matt

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 8:47 AM, Jochen Wiedmann
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wouldn't that make it 5.0? (Binary incompatible change)
>
> Note: I am not opposing the change, I just propose an additional
> change in the version number.
>
> Jochen
>

> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 12:18 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi All:
>>
>> I propose we make Java 7 the minimum for Commons Collection 4.2.
>>
>> Gary

Re: [collections][proposal] Java 7

We have not in the past forced a major version and Maven coordinate change
when updating the Java platform. We could do that of course.

Gary

On Jul 27, 2017 06:47, "Jochen Wiedmann" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wouldn't that make it 5.0? (Binary incompatible change)
>
> Note: I am not opposing the change, I just propose an additional
> change in the version number.
>
> Jochen
>

> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 12:18 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hi All:
> >
> > I propose we make Java 7 the minimum for Commons Collection 4.2.

> http://www.keystonedevelopment.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/
> evolution-of-the-wheel-300x85.jpg

Re: [collections][proposal] Java 7

garydgregory
git master is now Java 7.

Gary

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 9:53 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> We have not in the past forced a major version and Maven coordinate change
> when updating the Java platform. We could do that of course.
>
> Gary
>
> On Jul 27, 2017 06:47, "Jochen Wiedmann" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Wouldn't that make it 5.0? (Binary incompatible change)
>>
>> Note: I am not opposing the change, I just propose an additional
>> change in the version number.
>>
>> Jochen
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 12:18 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi All:
>> >
>> > I propose we make Java 7 the minimum for Commons Collection 4.2.
>> >
>> > Gary
>>

>> --
>> The next time you hear: "Don't reinvent the wheel!"
>>
>> http://www.keystonedevelopment.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/
>> 2014/10/evolution-of-the-wheel-300x85.jpg

Re: [collections][proposal] Java 7

> On Jul 27, 2017, at 12:53 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We have not in the past forced a major version and Maven coordinate change
> when updating the Java platform. We could do that of course.

I’m a tad surprised by this. It feels like updating the minimum accommodated java version would necessitate a major version change.

-Rob

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 5:40 AM, Rob Tompkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On Jul 27, 2017, at 12:53 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > We have not in the past forced a major version and Maven coordinate
> change
> > when updating the Java platform. We could do that of course.
>
> I’m a tad surprised by this. It feels like updating the minimum
> accommodated java version would necessitate a major version change.

It does not.

If we want to break Binary Compatibility (BC), then we update the major
version, the package name (commons-lang -> commons-lang3), and the Maven
Coordinates (commons-lang -> commons-lang3). At that point, if the group ID
is not org.apache.commons, then we update that too.

In the past, BC has always meant API BC, not byte code level compatibility
(it's confusing that both acronyms are BC.) In some cases, we have broken
source-level compatibility without a major version changes.

Gary