commons-daemon on windows, not honoring JvmMx setting?

commons-daemon on windows, not honoring JvmMx setting?

Alex O'Ree-2
 I've been experimenting with prunsrv and have been able to get my java
process to fire up as a windows service when using the "jvm" mode (couldn't
get java or exe to work). I am noticing that the setting "--JvmMx" does not
seem to be honored. According to the docs, it should.

> Maximum memory pool size in MB. (Not used in *exe* mode.)

Either my configuration is wrong or I'm just not understanding something.
Any ideas?

Re: commons-daemon on windows, not honoring JvmMx setting?

Mark Thomas
On 16/04/18 14:37, Alex O'Ree wrote:

>  I've been experimenting with prunsrv and have been able to get my java
> process to fire up as a windows service when using the "jvm" mode (couldn't
> get java or exe to work). I am noticing that the setting "--JvmMx" does not
> seem to be honored. According to the docs, it should.
>
>> Maximum memory pool size in MB. (Not used in *exe* mode.)
>
> Either my configuration is wrong or I'm just not understanding something.
> Any ideas?

Define "not honored".

Mark

Re: commons-daemon on windows, not honoring JvmMx setting?

Alex O'Ree-2
I had it set to 300, task mgr listed it at 800

On 26/04/18 11:32, Alex O'Ree wrote:
> I had it set to 300, task mgr listed it at 800

That looks normal.

"Maximum Java Heap Size" != "Maximum OS Memory footprint"

Mark

> On Mon, Apr 16, 2018, 9:59 AM Mark Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 16/04/18 14:37, Alex O'Ree wrote:
>>>  I've been experimenting with prunsrv and have been able to get my java
>>> process to fire up as a windows service when using the "jvm" mode
>> (couldn't
>>> get java or exe to work). I am noticing that the setting "--JvmMx" does
>> not
>>> seem to be honored. According to the docs, it should.

>>> Either my configuration is wrong or I'm just not understanding something.
>>> Any ideas?
>>>

>> Define "not honored".
>>
>> Mark

Re: commons-daemon on windows, not honoring JvmMx setting?

Alex O'Ree-2
So 500mb overhead is normal?

On Apr 26, 2018 8:36 AM, "Mark Thomas" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 26/04/18 11:32, Alex O'Ree wrote:
> I had it set to 300, task mgr listed it at 800

That looks normal.

"Maximum Java Heap Size" != "Maximum OS Memory footprint"

Mark

> On Mon, Apr 16, 2018, 9:59 AM Mark Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 16/04/18 14:37, Alex O'Ree wrote:
>>>  I've been experimenting with prunsrv and have been able to get my java
>>> process to fire up as a windows service when using the "jvm" mode
>> (couldn't
>>> get java or exe to work). I am noticing that the setting "--JvmMx" does
>> not
>>> seem to be honored. According to the docs, it should.

>>> Either my configuration is wrong or I'm just not understanding
something.

>>> Any ideas?
>>>

>> Define "not honored".
>>
>> Mark

Re: commons-daemon on windows, not honoring JvmMx setting?

Bernd Eckenfels
Depends on a number of factors, but with Java I typically not start to worry because of a few 100mb (especially since there are quite a few different metrics, real virtual or resident).

But since your question is about the service runner I would definitely compare it to java.exe launcher and let us know.

What command line arguments do you use and how many threads are active?

Gruss
Bernd
--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net
________________________________
On Thu, Apr 26, 2018, 8:36 AM Mark Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 26/04/18 11:32, Alex O'Ree wrote:
> > I had it set to 300, task mgr listed it at 800
>
> That looks normal.
>
> "Maximum Java Heap Size" != "Maximum OS Memory footprint"
>
> Mark

> >> (couldn't
> >> not

> something.
> >>>

> >> Define "not honored".
> >>
> >> Mark

On Apr 26, 2018 8:36 AM, "Mark Thomas" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 26/04/18 11:32, Alex O'Ree wrote:
> I had it set to 300, task mgr listed it at 800

That looks normal.

"Maximum Java Heap Size" != "Maximum OS Memory footprint"

Mark

> On Mon, Apr 16, 2018, 9:59 AM Mark Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 16/04/18 14:37, Alex O'Ree wrote:
>>>  I've been experimenting with prunsrv and have been able to get my java
>>> process to fire up as a windows service when using the "jvm" mode
>> (couldn't
>>> get java or exe to work). I am noticing that the setting "--JvmMx" does
>> not
>>> seem to be honored. According to the docs, it should.

>>> Either my configuration is wrong or I'm just not understanding
something.

>>> Any ideas?
>>>

>> Define "not honored".
>>
>> Mark

Re: commons-daemon on windows, not honoring JvmMx setting?

Alex O'Ree
--Jvm pointed directly at JRE/bin/server/jvm.dll or /bin/client/jvm.dll
(this part is populated based on tomcat's service.bat
--JvmMx 300
--StartMode jvm
--StopMode jvm

I've also tried adding the standard jvm xmx setting in ++JvmOptions however
it didn't appear to have any affect.
When running from the command line with java -Xmx300m -jar my.jar the
setting is honored. Tested by setting the Xmx to 100m which will cause OOM.

What is right for the service wrapper?

On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 11:39 AM, Bernd Eckenfels <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Depends on a number of factors, but with Java I typically not start to
> worry because of a few 100mb (especially since there are quite a few
> different metrics, real virtual or resident).
>
> But since your question is about the service runner I would definitely
> compare it to java.exe launcher and let us know.
>
> What command line arguments do you use and how many threads are active?
>
> Gruss
> Bernd
> --
> http://bernd.eckenfels.net

So how does the visible memory usage differ?

Gruss
Bernd
--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net