commons-monitoring?

Romain Manni-Bucau
Hi guys,

is there any activity (or plans) on commons monitoring?

it seems pretty old and a lot of work should be done, i would like to know
if it is a project to make alive or not

thanks

*Romain Manni-Bucau*

Re: commons-monitoring?

Olivier Lamy
2013/2/11 Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>:
> Hi guys,
>
> is there any activity (or plans) on commons monitoring?
IMHO nothing :-)

> it seems pretty old and a lot of work should be done, i would like to know
> if it is a project to make alive or not
If you want to contribute why not. As the idea sounds interesting I
can work a bit with you on.

> thanks
>
> *Romain Manni-Bucau*
> *Blog: **http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/*<http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>

Olivier Lamy
Talend: http://coders.talend.com

Re: commons-monitoring?

Romain Manni-Bucau
well not enough time right now but i hope in some weeks

the idea would be to get:
-> something to measure (i think it is already here)
-> some basic aop (abstraction, spring, cdi?)
-> some basic view of the measures (servlet or even a bootstrap webapp ;)
with sortable tables...)
-> some basic module for what metrics calls HealthCheck (checks the state
of a resource like a datasource)

wdyt?

*Romain Manni-Bucau*

2013/2/12 Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]>

> 2013/2/11 Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > is there any activity (or plans) on commons monitoring?
> IMHO nothing :-)
> >
> > it seems pretty old and a lot of work should be done, i would like to
> know
> > if it is a project to make alive or not
> If you want to contribute why not. As the idea sounds interesting I
> can work a bit with you on.
>

> > thanks
> >
> > *Romain Manni-Bucau*
> > *Twitter: @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau>*
> > *Blog: **http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/*<
> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>
> > *LinkedIn: **http://fr.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau*
> > *Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau*
>

> --
> Olivier Lamy
> Talend: http://coders.talend.com
> http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

Re: commons-monitoring?

zoly farkas
Worth taking a look at:

code.google.com/p/spf4j

--z

On Feb 12, 2013, at 4:05 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> well not enough time right now but i hope in some weeks
>
> the idea would be to get:
> -> something to measure (i think it is already here)
> -> some basic aop (abstraction, spring, cdi?)
> -> some basic view of the measures (servlet or even a bootstrap webapp ;)
> with sortable tables...)
> -> some basic module for what metrics calls HealthCheck (checks the state
> of a resource like a datasource)
>
> wdyt?
>
> *Romain Manni-Bucau*
> *Blog: **http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/*<http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>
>

> 2013/2/12 Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]>
>
>> 2013/2/11 Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> is there any activity (or plans) on commons monitoring?
>> IMHO nothing :-)
>>>
>>> it seems pretty old and a lot of work should be done, i would like to
>> know
>>> if it is a project to make alive or not
>> If you want to contribute why not. As the idea sounds interesting I
>> can work a bit with you on.
>>

>>> thanks
>>>
>>> *Romain Manni-Bucau*
>>> *Twitter: @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau>*
>>> *Blog: **http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/*<
>> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>
>>> *LinkedIn: **http://fr.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau*
>>> *Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau*
>>

>> --
>> Olivier Lamy
>> Talend: http://coders.talend.com
>> http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

Re: commons-monitoring?

Romain Manni-Bucau
jamon or the more recent javasimon, moskito (even if not completely written
and buggy)... are better candidates IMO

*Romain Manni-Bucau*

2013/2/12 Zoltan Farkas <[hidden email]>

> Worth taking a look at:
>
> code.google.com/p/spf4j
>

> --z
>
> On Feb 12, 2013, at 4:05 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > well not enough time right now but i hope in some weeks
> >
> > the idea would be to get:
> > -> something to measure (i think it is already here)
> > -> some basic aop (abstraction, spring, cdi?)
> > -> some basic view of the measures (servlet or even a bootstrap webapp ;)
> > with sortable tables...)
> > -> some basic module for what metrics calls HealthCheck (checks the state
> > of a resource like a datasource)
> >
> > wdyt?
> >
> > *Romain Manni-Bucau*
> > *Twitter: @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau>*
> > *Blog: **http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/*<
> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>
> > *LinkedIn: **http://fr.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau*
> > *Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau*

> >> IMHO nothing :-)

> >> know
> >> If you want to contribute why not. As the idea sounds interesting I
> >> can work a bit with you on.

> >> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>
> >>

> >> --
> >> Olivier Lamy
> >> Talend: http://coders.talend.com
> >> http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

Re: commons-monitoring?

zoly farkas
If you want to minimize the impact of recording the measurement I disagree.

The last time I looked at jamon recording a measurement was synchronized, so recording a measurement in a multithreaded environment was serialized an impacts your scalability.

Also seeing the measurement distribution is very valuable and not possible with jamon.

Spf4j Implements similar functionality with llquantize in DTrace. http://dtrace.org/blogs/bmc/2011/02/08/llquantize/

There are however other thing that jamon does better...

--z

On Feb 12, 2013, at 4:40 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> jamon or the more recent javasimon, moskito (even if not completely written
> and buggy)... are better candidates IMO
>
> *Romain Manni-Bucau*
> *Blog: **http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/*<http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>
>

> 2013/2/12 Zoltan Farkas <[hidden email]>
>
>> Worth taking a look at:
>>
>> code.google.com/p/spf4j
>>

>> --z
>>
>> On Feb 12, 2013, at 4:05 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> well not enough time right now but i hope in some weeks
>>>
>>> the idea would be to get:
>>> -> something to measure (i think it is already here)
>>> -> some basic aop (abstraction, spring, cdi?)
>>> -> some basic view of the measures (servlet or even a bootstrap webapp ;)
>>> with sortable tables...)
>>> -> some basic module for what metrics calls HealthCheck (checks the state
>>> of a resource like a datasource)
>>>
>>> wdyt?
>>>
>>> *Romain Manni-Bucau*
>>> *Twitter: @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau>*
>>> *Blog: **http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/*<
>> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>
>>> *LinkedIn: **http://fr.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau*
>>> *Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau*

Re: commons-monitoring?

Romain Manni-Bucau
yep but they have the whole stack i spoke about (even if core if not that
good as you said)

*Romain Manni-Bucau*

2013/2/12 Zoltan Farkas <[hidden email]>

> If you want to minimize the impact of recording the measurement I disagree.
>
> The last time I looked at jamon recording a measurement was synchronized,
> so recording a measurement in a multithreaded environment was serialized an
> impacts your scalability.
>
> Also seeing the measurement distribution is very valuable and not possible
> with jamon.
>
> Spf4j Implements similar functionality with llquantize in DTrace.
> http://dtrace.org/blogs/bmc/2011/02/08/llquantize/
>
> There are however other thing that jamon does better...
>

> --z
>
> On Feb 12, 2013, at 4:40 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > jamon or the more recent javasimon, moskito (even if not completely
> written
> > and buggy)... are better candidates IMO
> >
> > *Romain Manni-Bucau*
> > *Twitter: @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau>*
> > *Blog: **http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/*<
> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>
> > *LinkedIn: **http://fr.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau*
> > *Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau*
> >

> > 2013/2/12 Zoltan Farkas <[hidden email]>
> >
> >> Worth taking a look at:
> >>
> >> code.google.com/p/spf4j
> >>

> >> --z

> ;)
> state

> >> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>

Re: commons-monitoring?

Hi Romain,

2013/2/12 Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>

> well not enough time right now but i hope in some weeks
>
> the idea would be to get:
> -> something to measure (i think it is already here)
> -> some basic aop (abstraction, spring, cdi?)

Commons components usually don't have any dependencies. How would you
implement this under this restriction?

> -> some basic view of the measures (servlet or even a bootstrap webapp ;)
> with sortable tables...)
> -> some basic module for what metrics calls HealthCheck (checks the state
> of a resource like a datasource)
>
> wdyt?

Generally patches are always welcome :) Regarding monitoring, it should be
clear what plans you have for developing the component. In what ways will
it be different/better/a substitute for other monitoring libraries already
mentioned here.

> *Romain Manni-Bucau*
> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>
>

> 2013/2/12 Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]>
>
> > 2013/2/11 Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>:
> > > Hi guys,
> > >
> > > is there any activity (or plans) on commons monitoring?
> > IMHO nothing :-)
> > >
> > > it seems pretty old and a lot of work should be done, i would like to
> > know
> > > if it is a project to make alive or not
> > If you want to contribute why not. As the idea sounds interesting I
> > can work a bit with you on.
> >

> > > thanks
> > >
> > > *Romain Manni-Bucau*
> > > *Twitter: @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau>*
> > > *Blog: **http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/*<
> > http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>
> > > *LinkedIn: **http://fr.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau*
> > > *Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau*
> >

> > --
> > Olivier Lamy
> > Talend: http://coders.talend.com
> > http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter

Re: commons-monitoring?

Romain Manni-Bucau
that's the point of my initial question: is commons-monitoring the place to
add such things

about dependencies it shouldn't be an issue since all should be provided
(by the container for the aop part)

*Romain Manni-Bucau*

2013/2/13 Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]>

> Hi Romain,
>

> 2013/2/12 Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
>
> > well not enough time right now but i hope in some weeks
> >
> > the idea would be to get:
> > -> something to measure (i think it is already here)
> > -> some basic aop (abstraction, spring, cdi?)
> >

> Commons components usually don't have any dependencies. How would you
> implement this under this restriction?
>

> > -> some basic view of the measures (servlet or even a bootstrap webapp ;)
> > with sortable tables...)
> > -> some basic module for what metrics calls HealthCheck (checks the state
> > of a resource like a datasource)
> >
> > wdyt?
> >

> Generally patches are always welcome :) Regarding monitoring, it should be
> clear what plans you have for developing the component. In what ways will
> it be different/better/a substitute for other monitoring libraries already
> mentioned here.
>
> Regards,
> Benedikt
>

> > *Romain Manni-Bucau*
> > *Twitter: @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau>*
> > *Blog: **http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/*<
> > http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>
> > *LinkedIn: **http://fr.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau*
> > *Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau*

> > > IMHO nothing :-)

> > > know
> > > If you want to contribute why not. As the idea sounds interesting I
> > > can work a bit with you on.

> > > http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>
> > >

> > > --
> > > Olivier Lamy
> > > Talend: http://coders.talend.com
> > > http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

> http://people.apache.org/~britter/
> http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
> http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
> http://github.com/britter

Re: commons-monitoring?

Benedikt Ritter-4
2013/2/13 Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>

> that's the point of my initial question: is commons-monitoring the place to
> add such things

Well I guess if you see this as a defect of other libraries, you should
just go ahead and start developing. :)
Please don't forget to add tests for you patches.

I'm excited to see where this is going :)

Benedikt

--
http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter

Re: commons-monitoring?

Paul Libbrecht-4
Benedikt,

On 13 févr. 2013, at 08:49, Benedikt Ritter wrote:
> Commons components usually don't have any dependencies. How would you
> implement this under this restriction?

I've never seen this written before. Have you?

paul

Re: commons-monitoring?

Benedikt Ritter-4
2013/2/13 Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]>

> Benedikt,
>
> On 13 févr. 2013, at 08:49, Benedikt Ritter wrote:
> > Commons components usually don't have any dependencies. How would you
> > implement this under this restriction?
>

> I've never seen this written before. Have you?

Yes, on the commons website [1]:

"Commons developers will make an effort to ensure that their components
have minimal dependencies on other libraries, so that these components can
be deployed easily."

But you're right If you wanted to point out, that this is not an absolute
must-have. We can have minimal dependencies.
I guess (but I don't know!) it would be okay to have a dependency to the
AOP alliance jars, for example to define a new MethodInterceptor [2] for
monitoring. But IMHO it would be rather strange to have dependencies to
org.springframework.aop to define a new MethodBeforeAdvice [3] for
monitoring.

Makes sense? :)

Benedikt

[1] http://commons.apache.org/
[2]
http://aopalliance.sourceforge.net/doc/org/aopalliance/intercept/MethodInterceptor.html
[3]
http://static.springsource.org/spring/docs/3.0.0.M1/javadoc-api/org/springframework/aop/MethodBeforeAdvice.html

--
http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter

Re: commons-monitoring?

Romain Manni-Bucau
basically having a commons.Interceptor api can be interesting then we
simply need to map to spring and cdi

this is done in shiro for instance and works very well

*Romain Manni-Bucau*

2013/2/13 Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]>

> 2013/2/13 Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]>
>
> > Benedikt,
> >
> > On 13 févr. 2013, at 08:49, Benedikt Ritter wrote:
> > > Commons components usually don't have any dependencies. How would you
> > > implement this under this restriction?
> >

> > I've never seen this written before. Have you?
> >

> Yes, on the commons website [1]:
>
> "Commons developers will make an effort to ensure that their components
> have minimal dependencies on other libraries, so that these components can
> be deployed easily."
>
> But you're right If you wanted to point out, that this is not an absolute
> must-have. We can have minimal dependencies.
> I guess (but I don't know!) it would be okay to have a dependency to the
> AOP alliance jars, for example to define a new MethodInterceptor [2] for
> monitoring. But IMHO it would be rather strange to have dependencies to
> org.springframework.aop to define a new MethodBeforeAdvice [3] for
> monitoring.
>
> Makes sense? :)
>
> Benedikt
>
> [1] http://commons.apache.org/
> [2]
>
> http://aopalliance.sourceforge.net/doc/org/aopalliance/intercept/MethodInterceptor.html
> [3]
>
> http://static.springsource.org/spring/docs/3.0.0.M1/javadoc-api/org/springframework/aop/MethodBeforeAdvice.html
>

> > paul
> >

> --
> http://people.apache.org/~britter/
> http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
> http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
> http://github.com/britter

Re: commons-monitoring?

Matt Benson-2
WRT a Commons Interceptor API, [proxy] defines Interceptor and other
related interfaces.

Matt

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 6:09 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> basically having a commons.Interceptor api can be interesting then we
> simply need to map to spring and cdi
>
> this is done in shiro for instance and works very well
>
> *Romain Manni-Bucau*
> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>
>

> 2013/2/13 Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]>
>
> > 2013/2/13 Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]>
> >
> > > Benedikt,

> > > I've never seen this written before. Have you?
> > >

> > Yes, on the commons website [1]:
> >
> > "Commons developers will make an effort to ensure that their components
> > have minimal dependencies on other libraries, so that these components
> can
> > be deployed easily."
> >
> > But you're right If you wanted to point out, that this is not an absolute
> > must-have. We can have minimal dependencies.
> > I guess (but I don't know!) it would be okay to have a dependency to the
> > AOP alliance jars, for example to define a new MethodInterceptor [2] for
> > monitoring. But IMHO it would be rather strange to have dependencies to
> > org.springframework.aop to define a new MethodBeforeAdvice [3] for
> > monitoring.
> >
> > Makes sense? :)
> >
> > Benedikt
> >
> > [1] http://commons.apache.org/
> > [2]
> >

> http://aopalliance.sourceforge.net/doc/org/aopalliance/intercept/MethodInterceptor.html
> > [3]
> >

> http://static.springsource.org/spring/docs/3.0.0.M1/javadoc-api/org/springframework/aop/MethodBeforeAdvice.html
> >

> > > paul
> > >

> > --
> > http://people.apache.org/~britter/
> > http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
> > http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
> > http://github.com/britter

Re: commons-monitoring?

Mark Struberg
I'm not sure if this is needed in this case.

The Java interceptors spec got moved out of EJB a long time a go and is now a standalone spec which is used by CDI, Spring and guice.
The package is javax.interceptor and contains all the stuff we need.

If we do it in a similar style than Apache MyFaces CODI and now Apache DeltaSpike does it with the 'InterceptorStrategy' [1] then we are completely free of any container specific code.

LieGrue,
strub

[1] https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-deltaspike.git;a=blob;f=deltaspike/core/api/src/main/java/org/apache/deltaspike/core/spi/InterceptorStrategy.java;h=a772152c46ae589572c6bb2bfb0292a8e980b2d3;hb=HEAD

> [...]
>>  > Yes, on the commons website [1]:
>>  >
>>  > "Commons developers will make an effort to ensure that their
> components
>>  > have minimal dependencies on other libraries, so that these components
>>  can
>>  > be deployed easily."
>>  >
>>  > But you're right If you wanted to point out, that this is not an
> absolute
>>  > must-have. We can have minimal dependencies.
>>  > I guess (but I don't know!) it would be okay to have a dependency
> to the
>>  > AOP alliance jars, for example to define a new MethodInterceptor [2]
> for
>>  > monitoring. But IMHO it would be rather strange to have dependencies
>>  > org.springframework.aop to define a new MethodBeforeAdvice [3] for

Re: commons-monitoring?

Romain Manni-Bucau
that's not natural true for spring i think

*Romain Manni-Bucau*

2013/2/13 Mark Struberg <[hidden email]>

> I'm not sure if this is needed in this case.
>
> The Java interceptors spec got moved out of EJB a long time a go and is
> now a standalone spec which is used by CDI, Spring and guice.
> The package is javax.interceptor and contains all the stuff we need.
>
> If we do it in a similar style than Apache MyFaces CODI and now Apache
> DeltaSpike does it with the 'InterceptorStrategy' [1] then we are
> completely free of any container specific code.
>

> LieGrue,
> strub
>
> [1]
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-deltaspike.git;a=blob;f=deltaspike/core/api/src/main/java/org/apache/deltaspike/core/spi/InterceptorStrategy.java;h=a772152c46ae589572c6bb2bfb0292a8e980b2d3;hb=HEAD

Re: commons-monitoring?

Olivier Lamy
2013/2/12 Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>:

> well not enough time right now but i hope in some weeks
>
> the idea would be to get:
> -> something to measure (i think it is already here)
> -> some basic aop (abstraction, spring, cdi?)
> -> some basic view of the measures (servlet or even a bootstrap webapp ;)
> with sortable tables...)
> -> some basic module for what metrics calls HealthCheck (checks the state
> of a resource like a datasource)
>
> wdyt?

Good.
Perso I was thinking to storing metrics to be able to get some
statistics on "transactions" response time/call number etc...
With transaction I mean something more general (statistics on url
requests, etc..)
I'd like to build something similar too
https://code.google.com/p/javamelody/  (it's a good stack but GPL
prevent using that in some places).

Let me know if that sounds a good idea.

> *Romain Manni-Bucau*
> *Blog: **http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/*<http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>
>

> 2013/2/12 Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]>
>
>> 2013/2/11 Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>:
>> > Hi guys,
>> >
>> > is there any activity (or plans) on commons monitoring?
>> IMHO nothing :-)
>> >
>> > it seems pretty old and a lot of work should be done, i would like to
>> know
>> > if it is a project to make alive or not
>> If you want to contribute why not. As the idea sounds interesting I
>> can work a bit with you on.
>>

>> > thanks
>> >
>> > *Romain Manni-Bucau*
>> > *Twitter: @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau>*
>> > *Blog: **http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/*<
>> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>
>> > *LinkedIn: **http://fr.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau*
>> > *Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau*
>>

>> --
>> Olivier Lamy
>> Talend: http://coders.talend.com
>> http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

Olivier Lamy
Talend: http://coders.talend.com

Re: commons-monitoring?

Romain Manni-Bucau
a good start for me, i like the GUI but the measure and the config is not
so friendly (and results seems wrong)

*Romain Manni-Bucau*

2013/2/14 Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]>

> 2013/2/12 Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>:
> > well not enough time right now but i hope in some weeks
> >
> > the idea would be to get:
> > -> something to measure (i think it is already here)
> > -> some basic aop (abstraction, spring, cdi?)
> > -> some basic view of the measures (servlet or even a bootstrap webapp ;)
> > with sortable tables...)
> > -> some basic module for what metrics calls HealthCheck (checks the state
> > of a resource like a datasource)
> >
> > wdyt?
>
> Good.
> Perso I was thinking to storing metrics to be able to get some
> statistics on "transactions" response time/call number etc...
> With transaction I mean something more general (statistics on url
> requests, etc..)
> I'd like to build something similar too
> https://code.google.com/p/javamelody/  (it's a good stack but GPL
> prevent using that in some places).
>
> Let me know if that sounds a good idea.
>

> > *Romain Manni-Bucau*
> > *Twitter: @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau>*
> > *Blog: **http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/*<
> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>
> > *LinkedIn: **http://fr.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau*
> > *Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau*

> >> IMHO nothing :-)

> >> know
> >> If you want to contribute why not. As the idea sounds interesting I
> >> can work a bit with you on.

> >> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>
> >>

> >> --
> >> Olivier Lamy
> >> Talend: http://coders.talend.com
> >> http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

> Olivier Lamy
> Talend: http://coders.talend.com
> http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

Re: commons-monitoring?

Olivier Lamy
Note for personnal reasons I don't have a lot of time ATM for start it
(for ui and values storage).
But I can review some patches etc..
I will work more on this project around early april.

2013/2/14 Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>:
> a good start for me, i like the GUI but the measure and the config is not
> so friendly (and results seems wrong)
Really ?
 note value are stored in a rrd mode (so can be not exact after a
certain amount of time)

> *Romain Manni-Bucau*
> *Blog: **http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/*<http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>
>

> 2013/2/14 Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]>
>
>> 2013/2/12 Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>:
>> > well not enough time right now but i hope in some weeks
>> >
>> > the idea would be to get:
>> > -> something to measure (i think it is already here)
>> > -> some basic aop (abstraction, spring, cdi?)
>> > -> some basic view of the measures (servlet or even a bootstrap webapp ;)
>> > with sortable tables...)
>> > -> some basic module for what metrics calls HealthCheck (checks the state
>> > of a resource like a datasource)
>> >
>> > wdyt?
>>
>> Good.
>> Perso I was thinking to storing metrics to be able to get some
>> statistics on "transactions" response time/call number etc...
>> With transaction I mean something more general (statistics on url
>> requests, etc..)
>> I'd like to build something similar too
>> https://code.google.com/p/javamelody/  (it's a good stack but GPL
>> prevent using that in some places).
>>
>> Let me know if that sounds a good idea.
>>

>> > *Romain Manni-Bucau*
>> > *Twitter: @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau>*
>> > *Blog: **http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/*<
>> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>
>> > *LinkedIn: **http://fr.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau*
>> > *Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau*

>> --
>> Olivier Lamy
>> Talend: http://coders.talend.com
>> http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

Olivier Lamy
Talend: http://coders.talend.com

Re: commons-monitoring?

Emeric
Hi,

To be a bit more precise, the license of javamelody [1] is LGPL, not GPL, and I
am able to relicense it if needed. The jrobin dependency for RRD is also LGPL.
If you exclude the jrobin dependency, you will not have graphics but you will
still have statistics (note that all file storage is currently disabled in that
case).

@Romain
It's great that you like the UI [2] . I wished that Olivier would have liked it
also...

bye,
Emeric
[1] http://javamelody.googlecode.com/