[compress] AR docs confusion

Torsten Curdt-3
Someone raised an issue over at jdeb

  https://github.com/tcurdt/jdeb/issues/241

and I have to say I was a little confused about the docs on the AR support
in compress

  https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-compress/examples.html

Commons Compress 1.0 to 1.2 can only read archives using the GNU/SRV4
> variant, support for the BSD variant has been added in Commons Compress
> 1.3. Commons Compress 1.3 also optionally supports writing archives with
> file names longer than 16 characters using the BSD dialect, writing the
> SVR4/GNU dialect is not supported.

Is this what it means?

1.0:
  Original: r/w
  GNU/SRV4: r
  BSD: unsupported

1.2:
  Original: r/w
  GNU/SRV4: r
  BSD: unsupported

1.3+:
  Original: r/w
  GNU/SRV4: r
  BSD: r/w

The jdeb issue was actually not related to AR but TAR.
But that's how I stumbled across the docs.

cheers,
Torsten

Re: [compress] AR docs confusion

Stefan Bodewig
On 2018-01-03, Torsten Curdt wrote:

> Someone raised an issue over at jdeb

>   https://github.com/tcurdt/jdeb/issues/241

[WRT to that issue, LONGFILE_POSIX should be the preferred option if it
works in debs. LONGFILE_GNU is considered deprecated even by GNU tar.]

> and I have to say I was a little confused about the docs on the AR support
> in compress

>   https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-compress/examples.html

>> Commons Compress 1.0 to 1.2 can only read archives using the GNU/SRV4
>> variant, support for the BSD variant has been added in Commons Compress
>> 1.3. Commons Compress 1.3 also optionally supports writing archives with
>> file names longer than 16 characters using the BSD dialect, writing the
>> SVR4/GNU dialect is not supported.

Please help us improve it. To me (the one who wrote the paragraph) it is
totally clear. ;-)

Should it explicitly state that all versions of Compress can read and
write the original format that is limited to 16 char names?

> Is this what it means?

> 1.0:
>   Original: r/w
>   GNU/SRV4: r
>   BSD: unsupported

> 1.2:
>   Original: r/w
>   GNU/SRV4: r
>   BSD: unsupported

> 1.3+:
>   Original: r/w
>   GNU/SRV4: r
>   BSD: r/w

Yes.

Stefan

Re: [compress] AR docs confusion

Torsten Curdt-3
> >   https://github.com/tcurdt/jdeb/issues/241
>
> [WRT to that issue, LONGFILE_POSIX should be the preferred option if it
> works in debs. LONGFILE_GNU is considered deprecated even by GNU tar.]

Thanks! I will give that a try.

> and I have to say I was a little confused about the docs on the AR support
> > in compress
>
> >   https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-compress/examples.html
>
> >> Commons Compress 1.0 to 1.2 can only read archives using the GNU/SRV4
> >> variant, support for the BSD variant has been added in Commons Compress
> >> 1.3. Commons Compress 1.3 also optionally supports writing archives with
> >> file names longer than 16 characters using the BSD dialect, writing the
> >> SVR4/GNU dialect is not supported.
>
> Please help us improve it. To me (the one who wrote the paragraph) it is
> totally clear. ;-)

Happy to :)

Should it explicitly state that all versions of Compress can read and
> write the original format that is limited to 16 char names?

I think I'd just add a little table. OK?

> Is this what it means?
>
> > 1.0:
> >   Original: r/w
> >   GNU/SRV4: r
> >   BSD: unsupported
>
> > 1.2:
> >   Original: r/w
> >   GNU/SRV4: r
> >   BSD: unsupported
>
> > 1.3+:
> >   Original: r/w
> >   GNU/SRV4: r
> >   BSD: r/w
>
> Yes.

Cool. Thanks!

I got one more thing... :)
I just found a new issue with compress.
It's the "normalizeFileName" in TarArchiveEntry again. On Windows it just
strips the drive letter

https://github.com/apache/commons-compress/blob/master/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/compress/archivers/tar/TarArchiveEntry.java#L1337

which I think is a questionable default behaviour IMO.

  TarArchiveEntry("C:\foo\bar") -> "/foo/bar"
  TarArchiveEntry("D:\foo\bar") -> "/foo/bar"

Is that in line with how other unix tool ports handle things on windows?

cheers,
Torsten

Re: [compress] AR docs confusion

sebb-2-2
On 3 January 2018 at 13:34, Torsten Curdt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I got one more thing... :)
> I just found a new issue with compress.
> It's the "normalizeFileName" in TarArchiveEntry again. On Windows it just
> strips the drive letter
>

> https://github.com/apache/commons-compress/blob/master/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/compress/archivers/tar/TarArchiveEntry.java#L1337
>
> which I think is a questionable default behaviour IMO.
>
>   TarArchiveEntry("C:\foo\bar") -> "/foo/bar"
>   TarArchiveEntry("D:\foo\bar") -> "/foo/bar"
>
> Is that in line with how other unix tool ports handle things on windows?

Please use a separate email (with new subject) for different questions.

On 2018-01-03, Torsten Curdt wrote:

> I think I'd just add a little table. OK?

I've gone ahead and added a table, just not regenerated the site,

Stefan

Re: [compress] AR docs confusion

Torsten Curdt-3
Thanks - that was quick :)