[compress] Java 7 to Java 8

garydgregory
Hi All:

Based on a recent JIRA, it seems like using Java 8 in [compress] would be
helpful. Plus, it's 2019 and Java 12 is out.

Re: [compress] Java 7 to Java 8

Rob Tompkins

> On Apr 16, 2019, at 8:31 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi All:
>
> Based on a recent JIRA, it seems like using Java 8 in [compress] would be
> helpful. Plus, it's 2019 and Java 12 is out.

Re: [compress] Java 7 to Java 8

Stefan Bodewig
On 2019-04-16, Gary Gregory wrote:

> Based on a recent JIRA, it seems like using Java 8 in [compress] would be
> helpful.

I'd +1 that it bumping the dependency turned out to be really
useful. I'm not convinced, yet.

> Plus, it's 2019 and Java 12 is out.

As long as using Java 7 doesn't hurt us, I don't see any reason to
update.

Stefan

Re: [compress] Java 7 to Java 8

garydgregory
On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 9:39 AM Stefan Bodewig <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2019-04-16, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
> > Based on a recent JIRA, it seems like using Java 8 in [compress] would be
> > helpful.
>
> I'd +1 that it bumping the dependency turned out to be really
> useful. I'm not convinced, yet.
>
> > Plus, it's 2019 and Java 12 is out.
>
> As long as using Java 7 doesn't hurt us, I don't see any reason to
> update.

Using old dead versions of Java turns off potential contributors IMO. You
have to go dig around and install an archived version of the JDK which
Oracle has EOLed. Not only that but you can't use the more modern features
and APIs.

Gary

> Stefan

Re: [compress] Java 7 to Java 8

Stefan Bodewig
On 2019-04-16, Gary Gregory wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 9:39 AM Stefan Bodewig <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> As long as using Java 7 doesn't hurt us, I don't see any reason to
>> update.

> Using old dead versions of Java turns off potential contributors IMO.
> You have to go dig around and install an archived version of the JDK
> which Oracle has EOLed.

How so? You can build Compress with Java 13 and nobody is going to stop
you. If you happen to use a feature of something not supported in Java 7
then this may point to a reason to switch.

> Not only that but you can't use the more modern features and APIs.

This sounds as if you believed switching to more modern language
constructs and APIs would magically attract collaborators. Been there,
see the dead compress-2 branch, and don't buy this anymore.

Note I haven't cast any vote (and this is not a vote at all), I just
don't see any reason to add requirements as long as doing so doesn't
provide any benefits. As soon as it does, I'll be happy to switch.

Stefan

Re: [compress] Java 7 to Java 8

garydgregory
On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 9:51 AM Stefan Bodewig <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2019-04-16, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 9:39 AM Stefan Bodewig <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> >> As long as using Java 7 doesn't hurt us, I don't see any reason to
> >> update.
>
> > Using old dead versions of Java turns off potential contributors IMO.
> > You have to go dig around and install an archived version of the JDK
> > which Oracle has EOLed.
>
> How so? You can build Compress with Java 13 and nobody is going to stop
> you. If you happen to use a feature of something not supported in Java 7
> then this may point to a reason to switch.
>
> > Not only that but you can't use the more modern features and APIs.
>
> This sounds as if you believed switching to more modern language
> constructs and APIs would magically attract collaborators. Been there,
> see the dead compress-2 branch, and don't buy this anymore.

Unfortunately, IMO, a branch is not much to attract new contributors. Most
folks look at what the current release is or, at most, what is in the
current master.

Gary

> Note I haven't cast any vote (and this is not a vote at all), I just
> don't see any reason to add requirements as long as doing so doesn't
> provide any benefits. As soon as it does, I'll be happy to switch.
>
> Stefan

Re: [compress] Java 7 to Java 8

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 at 14:51, Stefan Bodewig <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2019-04-16, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 9:39 AM Stefan Bodewig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >> As long as using Java 7 doesn't hurt us, I don't see any reason to
> >> update.
>
> > Using old dead versions of Java turns off potential contributors IMO.
> > You have to go dig around and install an archived version of the JDK
> > which Oracle has EOLed.
>
> How so? You can build Compress with Java 13 and nobody is going to stop
> you. If you happen to use a feature of something not supported in Java 7
> then this may point to a reason to switch.
>
> > Not only that but you can't use the more modern features and APIs.
>
> This sounds as if you believed switching to more modern language
> constructs and APIs would magically attract collaborators. Been there,
> see the dead compress-2 branch, and don't buy this anymore.
>
> Note I haven't cast any vote (and this is not a vote at all), I just
> don't see any reason to add requirements as long as doing so doesn't
> provide any benefits. As soon as it does, I'll be happy to switch.

+1, well put.

> Stefan

Re: [compress] Java 7 to Java 8

Matt Sicker
How long until javac removes -source and -target 1.7? They already
removed 1.6 in Java 12. At some point, we'll be forced to upgrade just
to remain source compatible with recent compilers. That's likely not
for another year or more, though, so not an immediate problem; just
something to consider for long term.

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 at 09:53, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 at 14:51, Stefan Bodewig <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Using old dead versions of Java turns off potential contributors IMO.
> > > You have to go dig around and install an archived version of the JDK
> > > which Oracle has EOLed.
> >
> > How so? You can build Compress with Java 13 and nobody is going to stop
> > you. If you happen to use a feature of something not supported in Java 7
> > then this may point to a reason to switch.
> >
> > > Not only that but you can't use the more modern features and APIs.
> >
> > This sounds as if you believed switching to more modern language
> > constructs and APIs would magically attract collaborators. Been there,
> > see the dead compress-2 branch, and don't buy this anymore.
> >
> > Note I haven't cast any vote (and this is not a vote at all), I just
> > don't see any reason to add requirements as long as doing so doesn't
> > provide any benefits. As soon as it does, I'll be happy to switch.
>
> +1, well put.
>
> > Stefan

Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: [compress] Java 7 to Java 8

sebb-2-2
On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 at 15:39, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How long until javac removes -source and -target 1.7? They already
> removed 1.6 in Java 12. At some point, we'll be forced to upgrade just
> to remain source compatible with recent compilers. That's likely not
> for another year or more, though, so not an immediate problem; just
> something to consider for long term.

Note that Java 7 has extended support until at least July 2022:
https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/java-se-support-roadmap.html

> On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 at 09:53, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > How so? You can build Compress with Java 13 and nobody is going to stop
> > > you. If you happen to use a feature of something not supported in Java 7
> > > then this may point to a reason to switch.

> > > This sounds as if you believed switching to more modern language
> > > constructs and APIs would magically attract collaborators. Been there,
> > > see the dead compress-2 branch, and don't buy this anymore.
> > >
> > > Note I haven't cast any vote (and this is not a vote at all), I just
> > > don't see any reason to add requirements as long as doing so doesn't
> > > provide any benefits. As soon as it does, I'll be happy to switch.
> >
> > +1, well put.
> >
> > > Stefan

> Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: [compress] Java 7 to Java 8

Matt Sicker
On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 at 10:05, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Note that Java 7 has extended support until at least July 2022:
> https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/java-se-support-roadmap.html

Right, but does that mean that OpenJDK (and its various forks) will
also keep 1.7 input and output formats for just as long? Because in
July 2022, you'll still be able to compile Java 7 code with their
extended support version of Java 7, though not necessarily whatever
the latest release of Java is at the time.

--
Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: [compress] Java 7 to Java 8

sebb-2-2
On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 at 16:15, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 at 10:05, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Note that Java 7 has extended support until at least July 2022:
> > https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/java-se-support-roadmap.html
>
> Right, but does that mean that OpenJDK (and its various forks) will
> also keep 1.7 input and output formats for just as long? Because in
> July 2022, you'll still be able to compile Java 7 code with their
> extended support version of Java 7, though not necessarily whatever
> the latest release of Java is at the time.

Let's cross that bridge when we come to it, rather than crossing the
bridge and burning it now.