[compress] What to do with the changed OSGi Bundle Name?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[compress] What to do with the changed OSGi Bundle Name?

Stefan Bodewig
Hi all

due to a change in the parent POM the Bundle-SymbolicName of the
commons-compress JAR changed from org.apache.commons.compress to
org.apache.commons.commons-compress with version 1.18. So we've had a
lot of releases up to 1.17 with one name and two newer releases with a
different name in 1.18 and 1.19.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMPRESS-498

Now we've got two options.

1. Call this a bug and revert to org.apache.commons.compress in 1.20.

   This will make users of Compress up to 1.17 happy when they upgrade.
   But it alienates people who used 1.1[89], in particular if they have
   already adapted to the new symbolic name.

2. Call this a mistake but stick to org.apache.commons.commons-compress
   for 1.20 and future releases.

   This will make users of Compress up to 1.17 unhappy when they
   upgrade, but makes upgrades seemless for people using 1.18 or 19.

I'm more or less on the fence here as I'm not an OSGi user myself.

Given that COMPRESS-498 came up more than a year after 1.18 has been
released makes me think we either haven't got many OSGi users, they
don't upgrade Compress frequently or they silently suffer and adapt to
whatever we do.

Stefan

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [compress] What to do with the changed OSGi Bundle Name?

Bruno P. Kinoshita-3
Also not a user of OSGi. But I feel like it is a bug that could be reverted and informed in the changelog and release email?
But not too sure if that's the best option.
Bruno

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
 
  On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 at 22:56, Stefan Bodewig<[hidden email]> wrote:   Hi all

due to a change in the parent POM the Bundle-SymbolicName of the
commons-compress JAR changed from org.apache.commons.compress to
org.apache.commons.commons-compress with version 1.18. So we've had a
lot of releases up to 1.17 with one name and two newer releases with a
different name in 1.18 and 1.19.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMPRESS-498

Now we've got two options.

1. Call this a bug and revert to org.apache.commons.compress in 1.20.

  This will make users of Compress up to 1.17 happy when they upgrade.
  But it alienates people who used 1.1[89], in particular if they have
  already adapted to the new symbolic name.

2. Call this a mistake but stick to org.apache.commons.commons-compress
  for 1.20 and future releases.

  This will make users of Compress up to 1.17 unhappy when they
  upgrade, but makes upgrades seemless for people using 1.18 or 19.

I'm more or less on the fence here as I'm not an OSGi user myself.

Given that COMPRESS-498 came up more than a year after 1.18 has been
released makes me think we either haven't got many OSGi users, they
don't upgrade Compress frequently or they silently suffer and adapt to
whatever we do.

Stefan

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [compress] What to do with the changed OSGi Bundle Name?

Oliver Heger-3


Am 02.01.20 um 12:08 schrieb Bruno P. Kinoshita:

> Also not a user of OSGi. But I feel like it is a bug that could be reverted and informed in the changelog and release email?
> But not too sure if that's the best option.
> Bruno
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
>  
>   On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 at 22:56, Stefan Bodewig<[hidden email]> wrote:   Hi all
>
> due to a change in the parent POM the Bundle-SymbolicName of the
> commons-compress JAR changed from org.apache.commons.compress to
> org.apache.commons.commons-compress with version 1.18. So we've had a
> lot of releases up to 1.17 with one name and two newer releases with a
> different name in 1.18 and 1.19.
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMPRESS-498
>
> Now we've got two options.
>
> 1. Call this a bug and revert to org.apache.commons.compress in 1.20.
>
>   This will make users of Compress up to 1.17 happy when they upgrade.
>   But it alienates people who used 1.1[89], in particular if they have
>   already adapted to the new symbolic name.
>
> 2. Call this a mistake but stick to org.apache.commons.commons-compress
>   for 1.20 and future releases.
>
>   This will make users of Compress up to 1.17 unhappy when they
>   upgrade, but makes upgrades seemless for people using 1.18 or 19.
>
> I'm more or less on the fence here as I'm not an OSGi user myself.
>
> Given that COMPRESS-498 came up more than a year after 1.18 has been
> released makes me think we either haven't got many OSGi users, they
> don't upgrade Compress frequently or they silently suffer and adapt to
> whatever we do.

The change of the bundle name does not necessarily break all OSGi users.
AFAIK, the recommended way to use an OSGi bundle is to import the
packages, not to require a specific bundle - this use case would not be
affected by the change of the bundle name.

As the change happened a while ago without major complaints, I would
tend towards keeping the new name; but this is more or less a gut feeling.

Oliver

>
> Stefan
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>  
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [compress] What to do with the changed OSGi Bundle Name?

Stefan Bodewig
On 2020-01-02, Oliver Heger wrote:

> The change of the bundle name does not necessarily break all OSGi users.
> AFAIK, the recommended way to use an OSGi bundle is to import the
> packages, not to require a specific bundle - this use case would not be
> affected by the change of the bundle name.

Ah, I see. This is backed by Julian Reschke's comment
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMPRESS-498?focusedCommentId=17006749&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-17006749
where he says

,----
| same code in two different artefacts
`----

would be the problem. So I guess we are confusing the OSGi container if
Compress 1.17 and 1.18 are available as artifacts.

Stefan

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]