[crypto] Camel case for names

garydgregory
It seems to me that OpensslCipher should be called OpenSslCipher

E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [crypto] Camel case for names

sebb-2-2
The product is called OpenSSL, so perhaps it should be OpenSSLcipher

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 5:33 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The product is called OpenSSL, so perhaps it should be OpenSSLcipher

Even worse from my POV due to the lower case "c" in cipher. At work, we do
camel case even for acronyms to avoid W3CXMLSAXThingy and get
W3cXmlSaxThingy for example.

I vote for OpenSslCipher (or OpenSLLCipher).

Right now we have inconsistencies. We have JceCipher but then we have
OSInfo (vs. OsInfo) and OsCryptoRandom. Then there is CTRCryptoInputStream
which could be CtrCryptoInputStream. Also IOUtils.

I'd think some consistency would be nice.

Gary

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

RE: [crypto] Camel case for names

Sun, Dapeng
+1 for keeping them consistent.

I prefer "OpenSslCipher"

Regards
Dapeng

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 5:33 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The product is called OpenSSL, so perhaps it should be OpenSSLcipher

Even worse from my POV due to the lower case "c" in cipher. At work, we do camel case even for acronyms to avoid W3CXMLSAXThingy and get W3cXmlSaxThingy for example.

I vote for OpenSslCipher (or OpenSLLCipher).

Right now we have inconsistencies. We have JceCipher but then we have OSInfo (vs. OsInfo) and OsCryptoRandom. Then there is CTRCryptoInputStream which could be CtrCryptoInputStream. Also IOUtils.

I'd think some consistency would be nice.

Gary

> On 30 June 2016 at 01:17, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It seems to me that OpensslCipher should be called OpenSslCipher
> >
> > Gary
> >
> > --
> > E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email] Java
> > Persistence with Hibernate, Second Edition
> > <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/> JUnit in Action, Second Edition
> > <http://www.manning.com/tahchiev/>
> > Home: http://garygregory.com/

E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email] Java Persistence with Hibernate, Second Edition <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/> JUnit in Action, Second Edition <http://www.manning.com/tahchiev/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [crypto] Camel case for names

Benedikt Ritter-4
Sun, Dapeng <[hidden email]> schrieb am Do., 30. Juni 2016 um
07:32 Uhr:

> +1 for keeping them consistent.
>
> I prefer "OpenSslCipher"

+1 for this as well. I don't like upper case abbreviations in class names.

Benedikt

> Regards
> Dapeng

Stian Soiland-Reyes
It's tricky to have a hard rules for consistent acronyms in CamelCase,
some inconsistency will eventually sneak in to break the symmetry.

In Commons RDF we faced this in that we had an interface
"RDFTermFactory", "Triple" and "IRI"  -- but then I added JSON-LD Java
bindings and didn't want to shout JSONLDRDFTermFactory. I ended up
with a mix:.. JsonLdRDFTermFactory  - which although inconsistent,
goes nicely with the other implementation classes like JsonLdTriple
and JsonLdIRI. [1]

OpenSSL is very commonly known as "OpenSSL" (as if it's one word) - so
I would say:

+1 OpenSSLCipher
+0 OpenSslCipher
-0 OpensslCipher
-1 OpenSSLcipher

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-commonsrdf/tree/jsonld-java/jsonld-java/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/rdf/jsonldjava

On 30 June 2016 at 07:36, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sun, Dapeng <[hidden email]> schrieb am Do., 30. Juni 2016 um
> 07:32 Uhr:
>
>> +1 for keeping them consistent.
>>
>> I prefer "OpenSslCipher"
>>

> +1 for this as well. I don't like upper case abbreviations in class names.
>
> Benedikt
>

>> Regards
>> Dapeng

Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: [crypto] Camel case for names

sebb-2-2
These are mostly internal classes, so we can change the names for
every release if we like (now that the names are no longer embedded in
constants).
But it would be better to fix them now if there's agreement.

On 30 June 2016 at 10:51, Stian Soiland-Reyes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's tricky to have a hard rules for consistent acronyms in CamelCase,
> some inconsistency will eventually sneak in to break the symmetry.
>
> In Commons RDF we faced this in that we had an interface
> "RDFTermFactory", "Triple" and "IRI"  -- but then I added JSON-LD Java
> bindings and didn't want to shout JSONLDRDFTermFactory. I ended up
> with a mix:.. JsonLdRDFTermFactory  - which although inconsistent,
> goes nicely with the other implementation classes like JsonLdTriple
> and JsonLdIRI. [1]
>

> OpenSSL is very commonly known as "OpenSSL" (as if it's one word) - so
> I would say:
>
> +1 OpenSSLCipher
> +0 OpenSslCipher
> -0 OpensslCipher
> -1 OpenSSLcipher
>
> [1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-commonsrdf/tree/jsonld-java/jsonld-java/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/rdf/jsonldjava
>
> On 30 June 2016 at 07:36, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Sun, Dapeng <[hidden email]> schrieb am Do., 30. Juni 2016 um
>> 07:32 Uhr:
>>
>>> +1 for keeping them consistent.
>>>
>>> I prefer "OpenSslCipher"
>>>

>> +1 for this as well. I don't like upper case abbreviations in class names.
>>
>> Benedikt
>>

>>> Regards
>>> Dapeng

Emmanuel Bourg-3
Le 30/06/2016 à 11:51, Stian Soiland-Reyes a écrit :

> +1 OpenSSLCipher

+1 as well

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [crypto] Camel case for names

garydgregory
All done in Git master.

Gary

Home: http://garygregory.com/

On 30 June 2016 at 17:36, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
> All done in Git master.

And what a mess it makes in Git messages when a file is renamed ...
it's very difficult to follow the changes on the mailing list.