[dbutils] Close JIRA tickets that lack activity

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[dbutils] Close JIRA tickets that lack activity

Carl Hall-2
I'd like to start closing JIRA tickets that haven't seen any response or
activity in a long time.  Any objections to cleaning out old JIRA tickets
without activity?  Is 3 months an acceptable window to allow for inactivity
before closing an issue as "won't fix" or some equivalent status?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [dbutils] Close JIRA tickets that lack activity

Mark Thomas
On 25/02/2015 03:31, Carl Hall wrote:
> I'd like to start closing JIRA tickets that haven't seen any response or
> activity in a long time.

Why?

> Any objections to cleaning out old JIRA tickets
> without activity?

Yes. A bug is still a bug and an enhancement request is still an
enhancement request.

> Is 3 months an acceptable window to allow for inactivity
> before closing an issue as "won't fix" or some equivalent status?

No time frame is acceptable for that.

The only valid reasons to close out 'old' bugs are:

- It is a bug report that is invalid (e.g. configuration error).

- The bug report was incomplete (i.e. insufficient information to
understand the issue), further information was requested from the OP and
none was forthcoming. A lack of reproduction steps for a hard to
reproduce bug is not sufficient reason to close it.

- It is an enhancement request that has been rejected - i.e. even if a
fully working patch with test cases was provided it still would not get
committed.

I might have missed a few valid reasons but you get the idea.

Just because a report is old is no reason to close it. Someone may come
along tomorrow, next month, next year etc. with a contribution to move
it forward.

All that said, going through all the currently open bug reports and
ensuring they are triaged is likely to be extremely useful and will
almost certainly result in some being closed but not simply because due
to a lack of activity.

Mark

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [dbutils] Close JIRA tickets that lack activity

Jacques Le Roux
+1

Jacques

Le 25/02/2015 08:51, Mark Thomas a écrit :

> On 25/02/2015 03:31, Carl Hall wrote:
>> I'd like to start closing JIRA tickets that haven't seen any response or
>> activity in a long time.
> Why?
>
>> Any objections to cleaning out old JIRA tickets
>> without activity?
> Yes. A bug is still a bug and an enhancement request is still an
> enhancement request.
>
>> Is 3 months an acceptable window to allow for inactivity
>> before closing an issue as "won't fix" or some equivalent status?
> No time frame is acceptable for that.
>
> The only valid reasons to close out 'old' bugs are:
>
> - It is a bug report that is invalid (e.g. configuration error).
>
> - The bug report was incomplete (i.e. insufficient information to
> understand the issue), further information was requested from the OP and
> none was forthcoming. A lack of reproduction steps for a hard to
> reproduce bug is not sufficient reason to close it.
>
> - It is an enhancement request that has been rejected - i.e. even if a
> fully working patch with test cases was provided it still would not get
> committed.
>
> I might have missed a few valid reasons but you get the idea.
>
> Just because a report is old is no reason to close it. Someone may come
> along tomorrow, next month, next year etc. with a contribution to move
> it forward.
>
> All that said, going through all the currently open bug reports and
> ensuring they are triaged is likely to be extremely useful and will
> almost certainly result in some being closed but not simply because due
> to a lack of activity.
>
> Mark
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [dbutils] Close JIRA tickets that lack activity

Carl Hall-2
In reply to this post by Mark Thomas
Hey Mark,

Very helpful and well put.  My email was far too terse and generic.  You're
absolutely right; a bug is a bug and an unimplemented feature is still a
valid request.  It would be bad form to close valid issues.  I apologize
for my poorly stated message.

Your details are spot on for what I was looking for.  For example, this
issue[1] was posted in 2013 with the only question happening a year later
not in favor of the request and no response provided by the author.  This
is the kind of thing I would like to clean up.

Any unanswered issues, issues with patches, or bugs, I will do my best to
work through and resolve by actually answering and/or committing code.
Anything I think should be closed and is inline with your response, I will
add a label and ask for review before I do anything rash.  :)

Thanks again for your detailed explanation.  I look forward to moving ahead
sensibly.

Thanks,
Carl

1 https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DBUTILS-112

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 11:51 PM, Mark Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 25/02/2015 03:31, Carl Hall wrote:
> > I'd like to start closing JIRA tickets that haven't seen any response or
> > activity in a long time.
>
> Why?
>
> > Any objections to cleaning out old JIRA tickets
> > without activity?
>
> Yes. A bug is still a bug and an enhancement request is still an
> enhancement request.
>
> > Is 3 months an acceptable window to allow for inactivity
> > before closing an issue as "won't fix" or some equivalent status?
>
> No time frame is acceptable for that.
>
> The only valid reasons to close out 'old' bugs are:
>
> - It is a bug report that is invalid (e.g. configuration error).
>
> - The bug report was incomplete (i.e. insufficient information to
> understand the issue), further information was requested from the OP and
> none was forthcoming. A lack of reproduction steps for a hard to
> reproduce bug is not sufficient reason to close it.
>
> - It is an enhancement request that has been rejected - i.e. even if a
> fully working patch with test cases was provided it still would not get
> committed.
>
> I might have missed a few valid reasons but you get the idea.
>
> Just because a report is old is no reason to close it. Someone may come
> along tomorrow, next month, next year etc. with a contribution to move
> it forward.
>
> All that said, going through all the currently open bug reports and
> ensuring they are triaged is likely to be extremely useful and will
> almost certainly result in some being closed but not simply because due
> to a lack of activity.
>
> Mark
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>