[digester] [VOTE] release version 1.7

Simon Kitching
Hi,

As we've had two release candidates, and there have been no major issues
raised, I would appreciate your votes to approve an official release.

Phil Steitz raised a couple of minor points for RC2 that have been
addressed; the changes since RC2 are:
 * removed tabs from unit-test and example files
 * added comments to file build.properties.sample
These changes don't seem worth rolling another RC for.

So: should RC2+trivial changes be released as digester 1.7?

[ ]  +1, yes
[ ]  -1, no

Regards,

Simon

[all] [digester] [VOTE] release version 1.7 - REPOST

Simon Kitching
Hi All,

Unfortunately there have been absolutely no responses to my request for
votes to release digester 1.7 so far.

The release candate RC2 is here:
  http://people.apache.org/~skitching/digester-1.7/

This was reviewed by Phil Steitz, who found only a few very minor items
that have been addressed:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-user&m=111777409621992&w=2

In addition, Blake Meike has been testing his application with the RC
release and had no problems:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-user&m=111817438332427&w=2

It seems reasonable therefore to ask for your votes so we can get this
release out the door. So *please* take a few minutes to check that the
right procedures have been followed, then add your +1 vote so the
release can be completed.

Thanks,

Simon

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 12:19 +1200, Simon Kitching wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As we've had two release candidates, and there have been no major issues
> raised, I would appreciate your votes to approve an official release.
>
> Phil Steitz raised a couple of minor points for RC2 that have been
> addressed; the changes since RC2 are:
>  * removed tabs from unit-test and example files
>  * added comments to file build.properties.sample
> These changes don't seem worth rolling another RC for.
>
> So: should RC2+trivial changes be released as digester 1.7?
>
> [ ]  +1, yes
> [ ]  -1, no
>
> Regards,
>
> Simon

Re: [all] [digester] [VOTE] release version 1.7 - REPOST

Phil Steitz
+1

Phil

On 6/10/05, Simon Kitching <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Unfortunately there have been absolutely no responses to my request for
> votes to release digester 1.7 so far.
>
> The release candate RC2 is here:
>   http://people.apache.org/~skitching/digester-1.7/
>
> This was reviewed by Phil Steitz, who found only a few very minor items
> that have been addressed:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-user&m=111777409621992&w=2
>
> In addition, Blake Meike has been testing his application with the RC
> release and had no problems:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-user&m=111817438332427&w=2
>
> It seems reasonable therefore to ask for your votes so we can get this
> release out the door. So *please* take a few minutes to check that the
> right procedures have been followed, then add your +1 vote so the
> release can be completed.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Simon
>

> On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 12:19 +1200, Simon Kitching wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As we've had two release candidates, and there have been no major issues
> > raised, I would appreciate your votes to approve an official release.
> >
> > Phil Steitz raised a couple of minor points for RC2 that have been
> > addressed; the changes since RC2 are:
> >  * removed tabs from unit-test and example files
> >  * added comments to file build.properties.sample
> > These changes don't seem worth rolling another RC for.
> >
> > So: should RC2+trivial changes be released as digester 1.7?
> >
> > [ ]  +1, yes
> > [ ]  -1, no
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Simon

Re: [all] [digester] [VOTE] release version 1.7 - REPOST

Steven Caswell
Just one question about the jar:

The manifest indicates the jar was built with JDK 1.5. Does this present any
issues with running against previous Java versions?

Thanks.

On 6/11/05, Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> Phil
>
> On 6/10/05, Simon Kitching <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Unfortunately there have been absolutely no responses to my request for
> > votes to release digester 1.7 so far.
> >
> > The release candate RC2 is here:
> > http://people.apache.org/~skitching/digester-1.7/
> >
> > This was reviewed by Phil Steitz, who found only a few very minor items
> > that have been addressed:
> >
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-user&m=111777409621992&w=2
> >
> > In addition, Blake Meike has been testing his application with the RC
> > release and had no problems:
> >
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-user&m=111817438332427&w=2
> >
> > It seems reasonable therefore to ask for your votes so we can get this
> > release out the door. So *please* take a few minutes to check that the
> > right procedures have been followed, then add your +1 vote so the
> > release can be completed.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Simon
> >

> > On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 12:19 +1200, Simon Kitching wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > As we've had two release candidates, and there have been no major
> issues
> > > raised, I would appreciate your votes to approve an official release.
> > >
> > > Phil Steitz raised a couple of minor points for RC2 that have been
> > > addressed; the changes since RC2 are:
> > > * removed tabs from unit-test and example files
> > > * added comments to file build.properties.sample
> > > These changes don't seem worth rolling another RC for.
> > >
> > > So: should RC2+trivial changes be released as digester 1.7?
> > >
> > > [ ] +1, yes
> > > [ ] -1, no
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Simon

Steven Caswell
[hidden email]

Take back the web - http://www.mozilla.org

On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 19:50 -0400, Steven Caswell wrote:
> Just one question about the jar:
>
> The manifest indicates the jar was built with JDK 1.5. Does this
> present any issues with running against previous Java versions?

File project.properties contains this:
  # generate .class files that can be loaded into a version 1.2 JVM.
  # Digester requires java1.2 collection classes, so doesn't support
  # 1.1 JVMs.
  maven.compile.target=1.2
  maven.compile.source=1.2

So the .class files in the jar are useable in any 1.2 JVM, despite being
compiled via JDK 1.5. I have tested this and the jar works fine with
java 1.3.

Regards,

Simon

Re: [all] [digester] [VOTE] release version 1.7 - REPOST

Steven Caswell
That's cool. Here is my +1.

On 6/11/05, Simon Kitching <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 19:50 -0400, Steven Caswell wrote:
> > Just one question about the jar:
> >
> > The manifest indicates the jar was built with JDK 1.5. Does this
> > present any issues with running against previous Java versions?
>
> File project.properties contains this:
> # generate .class files that can be loaded into a version 1.2 JVM.
> # Digester requires java1.2 collection classes, so doesn't support
> # 1.1 JVMs.
> maven.compile.target=1.2
> maven.compile.source=1.2
>
> So the .class files in the jar are useable in any 1.2 JVM, despite being
> compiled via JDK 1.5. I have tested this and the jar works fine with
> java 1.3.
>
> Regards,
>
> Simon

Steven Caswell
[hidden email]

Take back the web - http://www.mozilla.org

Re: [all] [digester] [VOTE] release version 1.7 - REPOST

Stephen Colebourne

Simon Kitching wrote:
>   maven.compile.target=1.2
>   maven.compile.source=1.2
>
> So the .class files in the jar are useable in any 1.2 JVM, despite being
> compiled via JDK 1.5. I have tested this and the jar works fine with
> java 1.3.

IMHO, the compile target flag is useless, and this is a dangerous
approach. It only provides bytecode compatibility, which isn't enough.

This is because when you compile on a later JDK, it still compiles
against the Java class library of that later JDK. Many methods have been
added to key classes since 1.2 that a 1.5 compiler will choose to bind
to. When run on 1.2, the methods don't exist in the class library, so a
NoSuchMethodError (not Exception) occurs.

(eg. append(StringBuffer) in StringBuffer)

The only safe approach is to compile on the JDK you intend to be
compatible with. And, unless I've missed something, that usually can't
be done with a maven build.

Stephen