[fielupload] how much big size file can be handled?

[fielupload] how much big size file can be handled?

Leena Kulkarni-2
 Hi Friends,

I have few questions about the commons file upload.

1) Is commons file upload suitable for uploading
files>10MB in size?
What we have observed that commons file upload load a
file in memory. So for files > 10MB the deply in
response is too much.
Is this right? Is there something we are missing?
Is there any other good variation of commons file
upload if we have to use it for uploads upto 30MB?

2)When we try uploading a file>40MB, we are getting
Items list as 0.
So there is nothing to iterate on and check if it is a
file.

Code is like the following:
// Create a new file upload handler
ServletFileUpload upload = new
ServletFileUpload(factory);

// Parse the request
List /* FileItem */ items =
upload.parseRequest(request);

// Process the uploaded items
Iterator iter = items.iterator();
while (iter.hasNext()) {
    FileItem item = (FileItem) iter.next();

    if (item.isFormField()) {
        processFormField(item);
    } else {
        processUploadedFile(item);

We trapped this scenario and added code to show some
customized error when Items are 0. But then it takes
agaes to display the error message on screen when from
the logs we can make out that the control did go till
the point of displaying the error message to screen.

Do not know why this behaviour for large files
[>40MB]. It can be good to know the some threshold at
which such error occurs and if it is a known problem
with commons fileupload.

RE: [fielupload] how much big size file can be handled?

Arijit Mukherjee
I've been able to upload files almost upto 2GB. I'm stuck at files >
2GB, and I suspect it's because of the native O/S and not a commons
fileupload problem.

Cheers
Arijit

serff
I'm running into the same problem.  I send this email to the list on
Friday, but never heard back from anyone...maybe it will get looked at here:

I'm trying to upload files larger than 2GB.  It seems I can send a file
larger, but FileUpload throws an exception when it is larger than 2GB.
It throws:
FileUploadBase$UnknownSizeException: the request was rejected because
its size is unknown.
I'm assuming it can't get the content size because it overflowed an
int.  Now, I don't care if it knows how big the file is, I just want it
to take when ever file is sent to it.  Is there a way to disable this
check?  I'm already setting setMaxSize(-1) (the default) but that
doesn't seem to matter.
Let me know if you all have any ideas.
Thanks!
Andrew

Arijit Mukherjee wrote:

> I've been able to upload files almost upto 2GB. I'm stuck at files >
> 2GB, and I suspect it's because of the native O/S and not a commons
> fileupload problem.
>
> Cheers
> Arijit

Paul deCoursey
What is the OS and server you are running?  I know that IIS has a limit,
I think it's 2GB, for uploading files.  I'm of the opinion that you
shouldn't be using a web based fileupload for files that large, you
should use some more robust file transfer protocol, like FTP, SFTP, SCP
or USPS.

Paul

Andrew wrote:

> I'm running into the same problem.  I send this email to the list on
> Friday, but never heard back from anyone...maybe it will get looked at
> here:
>
> I'm trying to upload files larger than 2GB.  It seems I can send a
> file larger, but FileUpload throws an exception when it is larger than
> 2GB.  It throws:
> FileUploadBase$UnknownSizeException: the request was rejected because
> its size is unknown.
> I'm assuming it can't get the content size because it overflowed an
> int.  Now, I don't care if it knows how big the file is, I just want
> it to take when ever file is sent to it.  Is there a way to disable
> this check?  I'm already setting setMaxSize(-1) (the default) but that
> doesn't seem to matter.
> Let me know if you all have any ideas.
> Thanks!
> Andrew
>
> Arijit Mukherjee wrote:
>> I've been able to upload files almost upto 2GB. I'm stuck at files >
>> 2GB, and I suspect it's because of the native O/S and not a commons
>> fileupload problem.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Arijit

We are running JBoss on RedHat AS3 on a linux box.  I understand your
comment about the protocol.  I have other requirements that forced me to
do it over https though.

Any ideas on the UnknownSizeException though and how I can disable it?
I'm going to checkout the code today and look for myself, but if you
already know, please enlighten me!

Thanks!
Andrew
Paul J DeCoursey wrote:

> What is the OS and server you are running?  I know that IIS has a
> limit, I think it's 2GB, for uploading files.  I'm of the opinion that
> you shouldn't be using a web based fileupload for files that large,
> you should use some more robust file transfer protocol, like FTP,
> SFTP, SCP or USPS.
>
> Paul
>
> Andrew wrote:
>> I'm running into the same problem.  I send this email to the list on
>> Friday, but never heard back from anyone...maybe it will get looked
>> at here:
>>
>> I'm trying to upload files larger than 2GB.  It seems I can send a
>> file larger, but FileUpload throws an exception when it is larger
>> than 2GB.  It throws:
>> FileUploadBase$UnknownSizeException: the request was rejected because
>> its size is unknown.
>> I'm assuming it can't get the content size because it overflowed an
>> int.  Now, I don't care if it knows how big the file is, I just want
>> it to take when ever file is sent to it.  Is there a way to disable
>> this check?  I'm already setting setMaxSize(-1) (the default) but
>> that doesn't seem to matter.
>> Let me know if you all have any ideas.
>> Thanks!
>> Andrew
>>
>> Arijit Mukherjee wrote:
>>> I've been able to upload files almost upto 2GB. I'm stuck at files >
>>> 2GB, and I suspect it's because of the native O/S and not a commons
>>> fileupload problem.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Arijit

Are you reading as a Stream or are you buffering the file on disk?

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/fileupload/streaming.html

Also, it looks like UnknownSizeException has been deprecated because it
doesn't exist in the latest release.

Andrew wrote:

> We are running JBoss on RedHat AS3 on a linux box.  I understand your
> comment about the protocol.  I have other requirements that forced me
> to do it over https though.
>
> Any ideas on the UnknownSizeException though and how I can disable
> it?  I'm going to checkout the code today and look for myself, but if
> you already know, please enlighten me!
>
> Thanks!
> Andrew
> Paul J DeCoursey wrote:
>> What is the OS and server you are running?  I know that IIS has a
>> limit, I think it's 2GB, for uploading files.  I'm of the opinion
>> that you shouldn't be using a web based fileupload for files that
>> large, you should use some more robust file transfer protocol, like
>> FTP, SFTP, SCP or USPS.
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> Andrew wrote:
>>> I'm running into the same problem.  I send this email to the list on
>>> Friday, but never heard back from anyone...maybe it will get looked
>>> at here:
>>>
>>> I'm trying to upload files larger than 2GB.  It seems I can send a
>>> file larger, but FileUpload throws an exception when it is larger
>>> than 2GB.  It throws:
>>> FileUploadBase$UnknownSizeException: the request was rejected
>>> because its size is unknown.
>>> I'm assuming it can't get the content size because it overflowed an
>>> int.  Now, I don't care if it knows how big the file is, I just want
>>> it to take when ever file is sent to it.  Is there a way to disable
>>> this check?  I'm already setting setMaxSize(-1) (the default) but
>>> that doesn't seem to matter.
>>> Let me know if you all have any ideas.
>>> Thanks!
>>> Andrew

Martin Cooper-3
On 10/3/06, Paul J DeCoursey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are you reading as a Stream or are you buffering the file on disk?
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/fileupload/streaming.html
>

> Also, it looks like UnknownSizeException has been deprecated because it
> doesn't exist in the latest release.

It is not deprecated and should not have been removed. It seems that it was
removed by Jochen (cc'd) when he merged in his streaming changes. He needs
to put it back, though, since it is part of the 1.x public API.

Note that UnknownSizeException is still part of the latest official release
(1.1.1). It it not in the nightly builds, however.

--
Martin Cooper

> Andrew wrote:
> > We are running JBoss on RedHat AS3 on a linux box.  I understand your
> > comment about the protocol.  I have other requirements that forced me
> > to do it over https though.
> >
> > Any ideas on the UnknownSizeException though and how I can disable
> > it?  I'm going to checkout the code today and look for myself, but if
> > you already know, please enlighten me!
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Andrew
> > Paul J DeCoursey wrote:
> >> What is the OS and server you are running?  I know that IIS has a
> >> limit, I think it's 2GB, for uploading files.  I'm of the opinion
> >> that you shouldn't be using a web based fileupload for files that
> >> large, you should use some more robust file transfer protocol, like
> >> FTP, SFTP, SCP or USPS.
> >>
> >> Paul

When was the Streaming API Added?  I don't seem to have the

FileItemIterator iter = upload.getItemIterator(request);

Method in my 1.1 release.  Was it added in 1.1.1?  When you go to the javadoc link on the project page it says that is 1.2...

Andrew

Paul J DeCoursey wrote:

> Are you reading as a Stream or are you buffering the file on disk?
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/fileupload/streaming.html
>

> Also, it looks like UnknownSizeException has been deprecated because
> it doesn't exist in the latest release.

> Andrew wrote:
>> We are running JBoss on RedHat AS3 on a linux box.  I understand your
>> comment about the protocol.  I have other requirements that forced me
>> to do it over https though.
>>
>> Any ideas on the UnknownSizeException though and how I can disable
>> it?  I'm going to checkout the code today and look for myself, but if
>> you already know, please enlighten me!
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Andrew
>> Paul J DeCoursey wrote:
>>> What is the OS and server you are running?  I know that IIS has a
>>> limit, I think it's 2GB, for uploading files.  I'm of the opinion
>>> that you shouldn't be using a web based fileupload for files that
>>> large, you should use some more robust file transfer protocol, like
>>> FTP, SFTP, SCP or USPS.
>>>
>>> Paul

Correction...I'm using 1.1.1...so it must be in the nightly build which
I can't use until it's been released.  Any ideas on when that will be
released?

Andrew
Andrew wrote:

> When was the Streaming API Added?  I don't seem to have the
>
> FileItemIterator iter = upload.getItemIterator(request);
>
> Method in my 1.1 release.  Was it added in 1.1.1?  When you go to the
> javadoc link on the project page it says that is 1.2...
>
> Andrew
>
> Paul J DeCoursey wrote:
>> Are you reading as a Stream or are you buffering the file on disk?
>>
>> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/fileupload/streaming.html
>>

>> Also, it looks like UnknownSizeException has been deprecated because
>> it doesn't exist in the latest release.

>> Andrew wrote:
>>> We are running JBoss on RedHat AS3 on a linux box.  I understand
>>> your comment about the protocol.  I have other requirements that
>>> forced me to do it over https though.
>>>
>>> Any ideas on the UnknownSizeException though and how I can disable
>>> it?  I'm going to checkout the code today and look for myself, but
>>> if you already know, please enlighten me!
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Andrew

jochen-2
On 10/3/06, Martin Cooper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Also, it looks like UnknownSizeException has been deprecated because it
> > doesn't exist in the latest release.
>
> It is not deprecated and should not have been removed. It seems that it was
> removed by Jochen (cc'd) when he merged in his streaming changes. He needs
> to put it back, though, since it is part of the 1.x public API.
>
> Note that UnknownSizeException is still part of the latest official release
> (1.1.1). It it not in the nightly builds, however.

Yes, I removed it. But what good does the exception, if there's no
code that throws it?

Jochen

murder, yes, but divorce, never.
(Jack Benny)

Re: [fielupload] how much big size file can be handled?

serff
It looks like my problem may be fixed in the trunk.  Looks like sizeMax
is actually honored now.  It skips checking size if it is < 0.  I'm
going to test it out, but I'd still like to know if anyone knows when
1.2 will be released.

Let me know!
Andrew
Andrew wrote:

> Correction...I'm using 1.1.1...so it must be in the nightly build
> which I can't use until it's been released.  Any ideas on when that
> will be released?
>
> Andrew
> Andrew wrote:
>> When was the Streaming API Added?  I don't seem to have the
>>
>> FileItemIterator iter = upload.getItemIterator(request);
>>
>> Method in my 1.1 release.  Was it added in 1.1.1?  When you go to the
>> javadoc link on the project page it says that is 1.2...
>>
>> Andrew
>>
>> Paul J DeCoursey wrote:
>>> Are you reading as a Stream or are you buffering the file on disk?
>>>
>>> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/fileupload/streaming.html
>>>

>>> Also, it looks like UnknownSizeException has been deprecated because
>>> it doesn't exist in the latest release.

Ok, so I'm playing with the streaming now and that seems to be working,
but it seems like the file takes forever to write.  The upload finished
very quickly, but then it takes another 5 minutes to write the file to
disk...Here is what I'm doing:

        // Create a new file upload handler
        ServletFileUpload upload = new ServletFileUpload();

        // Parse the request
        FileItemIterator iter = upload.getItemIterator(request);
        while (iter.hasNext()) {
            FileItemStream item = iter.next();
            String name = item.getFieldName();
            InputStream stream = item.openStream();
            if (item.isFormField()) {
                System.out.println("Form field " + name + " with value "
                        + StreamUtil.asString(stream) + " detected.");
            } else {
                System.out.println("File field " + name + " with file name "
                        + item.getName() + " detected.");
                // Process the input stream
                File fNew = new File(dropbox, name);
                InputStream in = new BufferedInputStream(stream);
                OutputStream out = new BufferedOutputStream(new FileOutputStream(fNew));
                byte[] byteBuf = new byte[1024];
                int numBytes = 0;
                int totalBytes = 0;
                while (-1 != (numBytes = in.read(byteBuf))) {
                    out.write(byteBuf, 0, numBytes);
                    totalBytes += numBytes;

Do you see anything I'm doing wrong?  Is there a better buffer size to
use?  Should I not use a buffered stream to read the input stream?  Am I
just defeating the purpose of what you added?

Let me know if you see any where I can make an improvement.
Thanks!
Andrew

On 10/3/06, Jochen Wiedmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/3/06, Martin Cooper <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > > Also, it looks like UnknownSizeException has been deprecated because
> it
> > > doesn't exist in the latest release.
> >
> > It is not deprecated and should not have been removed. It seems that it
> was
> > removed by Jochen (cc'd) when he merged in his streaming changes. He
> needs
> > to put it back, though, since it is part of the 1.x public API.
> >
> > Note that UnknownSizeException is still part of the latest official
> release
> > (1.1.1). It it not in the nightly builds, however.
>
> Yes, I removed it. But what good does the exception, if there's no
> code that throws it?

The fact is that throwing that exception when the request is too large is
part of the FileUpload 1.x API contract. With your changes, that contract is
now broken. If the next release of FileUpload is going to be a 1.x release,
the contract must be honoured. Otherwise, the current code in trunk must be
considered part of a 2.0 release.

--
Martin Cooper

Jochen

> --
> My wife Mary and I have been married for forty-seven years and not
> once have we had an argument serious enough to consider divorce;
> murder, yes, but divorce, never.
> (Jack Benny)

Re: [fielupload] how much big size file can be handled?

Leena Kulkarni-2
Actually we are facing problems for much less size
files than you all mentioned here. Its taking too long
for 35MB files only..

Arijit, we are using same code like yours but we get
items as empty at around 60MB file.

1. Is there anything wrong that we are doing?
2. We tried the streaming API, FileItemIterator is not
available in the jar.

Any help?

Regards,
Leena
--- Martin Cooper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/3/06, Jochen Wiedmann
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

> been deprecated because
> > it
> > >
> > > It is not deprecated and should not have been
> removed. It seems that it
> > was
> > > removed by Jochen (cc'd) when he merged in his
> streaming changes. He
> > needs
> > > to put it back, though, since it is part of the
> 1.x public API.
> > >
> > > Note that UnknownSizeException is still part of
> the latest official
> > release
> > > (1.1.1). It it not in the nightly builds,
> however.
> >
> > Yes, I removed it. But what good does the
> exception, if there's no
> > code that throws it?
>

> The fact is that throwing that exception when the
> request is too large is
> part of the FileUpload 1.x API contract. With your
> changes, that contract is
> now broken. If the next release of FileUpload is
> going to be a 1.x release,
> the contract must be honoured. Otherwise, the
> current code in trunk must be
> considered part of a 2.0 release.
>
> --
> Martin Cooper
>

> Jochen
> >
> > --
> > My wife Mary and I have been married for
> forty-seven years and not
> > once have we had an argument serious enough to
> consider divorce;
> > murder, yes, but divorce, never.
> > (Jack Benny)

RE: [fielupload] how much big size file can be handled?

Leena Kulkarni-2

Arijit,

I checked your code, its similar to what we have
written code similar to yours. It is the code from the
commons fileupload site only.

Only thing is that we are not checking for
isMultipartRequest. Will that be causing this huge
difference that we have problems for 60MB and your
upload of size till 2GB is working fine?

Regards,

--- Arijit Mukherjee
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been able to upload files almost upto 2GB. I'm
> stuck at files >
> 2GB, and I suspect it's because of the native O/S
> and not a commons
> fileupload problem.
>
> Cheers
> Arijit

Can you please post your code? I wasn't able to find the
FileItemIterator in commons-upload-1.1.1 library, but could find it in
the nightly builds.

Anyways, I might just have found out reason for the 2GB problem - it
probably has something to do with the underlying O/S and the JRE. If the
O/S kernel supports 64 bit addressing, then a 2GB limit isn't in the
O/S. But you would need the JRE compatible with the 64 bit system to
make it work. Otherwise, you have this (2^31-1) limit, which is 2GB.

Regards
Arijit

On 10/4/06, Martin Cooper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Yes, I removed it. But what good does the exception, if there's no
> > code that throws it?
>
> The fact is that throwing that exception when the request is too large is
> part of the FileUpload 1.x API contract. With your changes, that contract is
> now broken. If the next release of FileUpload is going to be a 1.x release,
> the contract must be honoured. Otherwise, the current code in trunk must be
> considered part of a 2.0 release.

Martin, my impression is that you are mismatching the SizeException
and the UnknownSizeException. Is that possible?

Jochen

murder, yes, but divorce, never.
(Jack Benny)

Re: [fielupload] how much big size file can be handled?

serff
This confuses me.  Why would the VM or the OS matter when streaming a
file?  Are you trying to stick the entire file into memory?  I'm not
having any problem now that I am using the 1.2 nightly build.  I
uploaded a 5GB file yesterday and it worked fine for me.  I'm running on
RedHat on a 64 bit platform though, but still...I don't get why that
should matter when all you are doing is reading bytes from one stream
and writing them to another in small (<2GB) chunks.  Am I missing
something here?

Andrew
Arijit Mukherjee wrote:

> Leena
>
> Can you please post your code? I wasn't able to find the
> FileItemIterator in commons-upload-1.1.1 library, but could find it in
> the nightly builds.
>
> Anyways, I might just have found out reason for the 2GB problem - it
> probably has something to do with the underlying O/S and the JRE. If the
> O/S kernel supports 64 bit addressing, then a 2GB limit isn't in the
> O/S. But you would need the JRE compatible with the 64 bit system to
> make it work. Otherwise, you have this (2^31-1) limit, which is 2GB.
>
> Regards
> Arijit

I am also curious about when we might expect the next release.  I've got
a project that would benefit greatly from the Streaming changes that
have been added.

Paul

Andrew wrote:
> Correction...I'm using 1.1.1...so it must be in the nightly build
> which I can't use until it's been released.  Any ideas on when that
> will be released?
>
> Andrew

Re: [fielupload] how much big size file can be handled?

Arijit Mukherjee
The machines I'm using are 32-bit (just found that out) - so the API's would
probably limit themselves to a MAX size for counters etc to 2^32-1 which is
2GB. If you search for java.nio issues, you'll get similar things with the
transferTo and TransferFrom API's in the FileChannel.

I was able to upload almost ~10GB on a Mac PowerBook G4, which I guess is
64-bit - with the exact same code - basically the example code in the
documentation.

Arijit