[httpclient] Tunnelling non-HTTP protocols through ProxyClient

[httpclient] Tunnelling non-HTTP protocols through ProxyClient

Bindul Bhowmik
Hi,

I am trying to tunnel a FTP stream over an HTTP Tunnel proxy. I am
trying to use the ProxyClient class of commons-client for that. I am
using commons-net as my FTP Client, and have written an implementation
of SocketFactory to be used for FTP connections over the Proxy.

Inside my SocketFactory implementation, I am getting the socket from
ProxyClient.ConnectResponse#getSocket() class. The code I use is:

<code_snip>
                ProxyClient proxyClient = new ProxyClient();
                HostConfiguration hostConfiguration = proxyClient.getHostConfiguration();
                hostConfiguration.setHost(host, port, httpClientProtocol);
                hostConfiguration.setProxy("proxy", 8085);
                NTCredentials credentials = getNTCredentials("domain\\user",
                                "password","proxy");

                // Set the proxy credentials
                proxyClient.getState().setProxyCredentials(new AuthScope("proxy",
-1), credentials);

                ProxyClient.ConnectResponse response = proxyClient.connect();
                if (response.getSocket() == null) {
                        throw new IOException("Connection through proxy could not be opened");
                }

                return response.getSocket();
</code_snip>

However, the getSocket() method returns null, and on setting the log
level to FINE, the last response from the Proxy says:

<pre>
HTTP/1.1 502 Proxy Error ( The specified Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
port is not allowed. ISA Server is not configured to allow SSL
requests from this port. Most Web browsers use port 443 for SSL
requests.  )
</pre>

This problem is related to the ones discussed in the commons-user
threads: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-commons-user/200504.mbox/%3c882a6a7e05041101351531c7d1@...%3e
and http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-commons-user/200504.mbox/%3cOFD1167CC8.7FF51EF6-ONCA256FE8.000AFB2E@...%3e
Any help in solving this would be great.

Regards,
Bindul