[id] Commons-id out of sandbox?

Jukka Zitting-2
Hi,

I'm working on a few content repository implementations (including the
incubating Apache Jackrabbit) based on the recent JSR-170 API. The API
relies heavily on UUIDs and I'd like to use the commons-id library to
generate the identifiers. However, I'm a bit worried about making
commons-id a proper dependency before it leaves the Commons Sandbox and
makes an official release.

Looking at the commons list archives I found references to plans for
getting commons-id out of the sandbox (for example [1]). What's the
current status on this? Is there anything I could do help? I'm not a
UUID guru, but I can read specs, write code, and submit patches. :-)

PS. One obvious improvement would be to change UUID references from the
already expired uuid-urn drafts to the recently released RFC 4122.

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.commons.devel/63192

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [id] Commons-id out of sandbox?

Simon Kitching
Hi Jukka,

On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 11:42 +0300, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on a few content repository implementations (including the
> incubating Apache Jackrabbit) based on the recent JSR-170 API. The API
> relies heavily on UUIDs and I'd like to use the commons-id library to
> generate the identifiers. However, I'm a bit worried about making
> commons-id a proper dependency before it leaves the Commons Sandbox and
> makes an official release.
>
> Looking at the commons list archives I found references to plans for
> getting commons-id out of the sandbox (for example [1]). What's the
> current status on this? Is there anything I could do help? I'm not a
> UUID guru, but I can read specs, write code, and submit patches. :-)
>
> PS. One obvious improvement would be to change UUID references from the
> already expired uuid-urn drafts to the recently released RFC 4122.
>
> [1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.commons.devel/63192

I see you haven't got an answer on this yet. However two of the main
developers on that project (Phil Steitz and Gary Gregory) are pretty
active participants in commons-dev so I expect you will get an answer
fairly shortly...

Regards,

Simon

Re: [id] Commons-id out of sandbox?

Jukka Zitting-2

Ping? Should I take this to the commons-dev list?