[imaging] Move from Java7 to Java8

Bruno P. Kinoshita-3
Hi all,

Since Sanselan became Commons Imaging, some work has been done, but there was never an official release.

The project is using Java7, and I would like to update it to use Java 8. Any objections?

My plan is to just update to Java8 now and prepare the 1.0 release vote. Then slowly add Java 8 improvements over the 1.x releases, and perhaps even add support to Java 9 before a 2.x if possible.

Thanks
Bruno

Re: [imaging] Move from Java7 to Java8

Pascal Schumacher
Hi Bruno,

imho it would be preferable to release 1.0 using Java 7. That would
allow everybody using snapshots to replace them with a release. E.g.
https://github.com/LibrePDF/OpenPDF is using a snapshot but is still on
Java 7.

After the release we can update to Java 8 for 1.1.

Cheers,
Pascal

Am 12.08.2018 um 00:46 schrieb Bruno P. Kinoshita:

> Hi all,
>
> Since Sanselan became Commons Imaging, some work has been done, but there was never an official release.
>
> The project is using Java7, and I would like to update it to use Java 8. Any objections?
>
> My plan is to just update to Java8 now and prepare the 1.0 release vote. Then slowly add Java 8 improvements over the 1.x releases, and perhaps even add support to Java 9 before a 2.x if possible.
>

> Thanks
> Bruno

Re: [imaging] Move from Java7 to Java8

Bruno P. Kinoshita-3
Oh, sounds reasonable.
So going to try 1.0 with Java 7, then possibly another bug fix release after that (there are some issues I'd like to fix, but after 1.0 is out). And finally in 1.2 or after we can go to Java 8.
Thanks Pascal!
Bruno

imho it would be preferable to release 1.0 using Java 7. That would
allow everybody using snapshots to replace them with a release. E.g.
https://github.com/LibrePDF/OpenPDF is using a snapshot but is still on
Java 7.

After the release we can update to Java 8 for 1.1.

Cheers,
Pascal

Am 12.08.2018 um 00:46 schrieb Bruno P. Kinoshita:

> Hi all,
>
> Since Sanselan became Commons Imaging, some work has been done, but there was never an official release.
>
> The project is using Java7, and I would like to update it to use Java 8. Any objections?
>
> My plan is to just update to Java8 now and prepare the 1.0 release vote. Then slowly add Java 8 improvements over the 1.x releases, and perhaps even add support to Java 9 before a 2.x if possible.
>

> Thanks
> Bruno

Re: [imaging] Move from Java7 to Java8

garydgregory
Keep in mind the option of releasing an alpha or beta version first to
allow for API changes...

Gary