interested in contributing

Padmashantha Rajapakshe
Hi,
I have 10+ years of Java experience, so would like to contribute for common project at the beginner level. really appreciate if guide me with initial setup.

thanks,
Shan

Re: interested in contributing

Stefan Bodewig
Welcome Shan

On 2016-12-20, Padmashantha Rajapakshe wrote:

> I have 10+ years of Java experience, so would like to contribute for
> common project at the beginner level.

This sounds great.

> really appreciate if guide me with initial setup.

Commons isn't a whole but rather a group of components with different
subsets of people working on it. Sometimes the subsets overlap, but
quite a few people are only contributing to one or a few components.

So the first thing to figure out for you is what interests you the
most. What part of Commons would you enjoy contributing to the most?

The homepage <http://commons.apache.org/> lists the "proper" components,
those that are considered mature and maintained enough to be able to cut
releases. You'll see there are a lot of different things.

Some components are still inside the sandbox
<http://commons.apache.org/sandbox.html> which means they are either not
yet ready for prime time or lacking developers who want to work on
them. As you are finding your way around, you should probably prefer a
component that has an active community so you don't need to work alone.

Once you've selected a component that sounds interesting, we can go from
there.

Cheers

        Stefan

AW: interested in contributing

Jan Matèrne (jhm)
Starting points are also
- open issues (see JIRA:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProjects.jspa#10260)
- something you missed for yourself
- something another misses (see userlist)

Jan

Re: AW: interested in contributing

garydgregory
It feels like we need a message template in a repo to make replying to
these queries quick, easy, and complete.

Gary

On Dec 20, 2016 12:29 PM, "Jan Matèrne (jhm)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Starting points are also
> - open issues (see JIRA:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProjects.jspa#10260)
> - something you missed for yourself
> - something another misses (see userlist)
>
> Jan

sebb-2-2
Or a page on the wiki/website.

And make sure that is easy to find, so people can help themselves, at
least initially.

On 21 December 2016 at 16:53, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It feels like we need a message template in a repo to make replying to
> these queries quick, easy, and complete.
>
> Gary
>
> On Dec 20, 2016 12:29 PM, "Jan Matèrne (jhm)" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Starting points are also
>> - open issues (see JIRA:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProjects.jspa#10260)
>> - something you missed for yourself
>> - something another misses (see userlist)
>>
>> Jan

Adam Smith
That would be nice. I've been lurking here for months wanting to contribute
but not really sure how.