[io][lang] CSV parser contribution

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[io][lang] CSV parser contribution

Stefan Rufer
Following the discussion about CSV parsing/writing on this list
Netcetera AG would like to contribute a CSV parser to jakarta.

Features:
  - configurable delimiter (delimiter may appear in complex values)
  - complex values (including newlines -> multiline values)
  - unicode escapes
  - empty line skipping support
  - comment support
  - hardcoded record separators (\n or \r\n)

According to Simon Kitching, commons-io or commons-lang might be a place for
such a simple implementation. If you have any better idea feel free to hand it
on inside jakarta.

Source and test code can be found here
   ftp://ftp.netcetera.ch/pub/csvparser.jar

It's widely used in our projects and proved to be stable up to today.

Please note that this contribution is dedicated to the Apache Software
Foundation, thank you for not using it otherwise.


cu
Stefan
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stefan Rufer                                   [hidden email]
Netcetera AG, 8040 Zuerich    phone +41 1 247 79 92  fax +41 1 247 70 75

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: [io][lang] CSV parser contribution

Gary Gregory
Hello:

You may want to check the following implementation:

http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=31355

I am not sure what the best place for this is [io], [lang], [codec]?

Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Rufer [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 1:53 AM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [io][lang] CSV parser contribution

Following the discussion about CSV parsing/writing on this list
Netcetera AG would like to contribute a CSV parser to jakarta.

Features:
  - configurable delimiter (delimiter may appear in complex values)
  - complex values (including newlines -> multiline values)
  - unicode escapes
  - empty line skipping support
  - comment support
  - hardcoded record separators (\n or \r\n)

According to Simon Kitching, commons-io or commons-lang might be a place
for
such a simple implementation. If you have any better idea feel free to
hand it
on inside jakarta.

Source and test code can be found here
   ftp://ftp.netcetera.ch/pub/csvparser.jar

It's widely used in our projects and proved to be stable up to today.

Please note that this contribution is dedicated to the Apache Software
Foundation, thank you for not using it otherwise.


cu
Stefan
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stefan Rufer                                   [hidden email]
Netcetera AG, 8040 Zuerich    phone +41 1 247 79 92  fax +41 1 247 70 75

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [io][lang] CSV parser contribution

Henri Yandell
I'm +1 for [csv] as its own component.

A solid 3 class component is still a good component, even if it can
handle its necessary functionality in 3 classes.

Stefan, your ending comment of:

"Please note that this contribution is dedicated to the Apache Software
Foundation, thank you for not using it otherwise."

makes me worried that you might not be aware what you're getting into.
While Netcetera AG retain copyright to their original codebase, the
Apache version is very liberally licenced and if it should become part
of an ASF codebase, then anyone can use it otherwise.

The feature list looks nice though :)

Hen

On 6/2/05, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> You may want to check the following implementation:
>
> http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=31355
>
> I am not sure what the best place for this is [io], [lang], [codec]?
>
> Gary
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Stefan Rufer [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 1:53 AM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [io][lang] CSV parser contribution
>
> Following the discussion about CSV parsing/writing on this list
> Netcetera AG would like to contribute a CSV parser to jakarta.
>
> Features:
>   - configurable delimiter (delimiter may appear in complex values)
>   - complex values (including newlines -> multiline values)
>   - unicode escapes
>   - empty line skipping support
>   - comment support
>   - hardcoded record separators (\n or \r\n)
>
> According to Simon Kitching, commons-io or commons-lang might be a place
> for
> such a simple implementation. If you have any better idea feel free to
> hand it
> on inside jakarta.
>
> Source and test code can be found here
>    ftp://ftp.netcetera.ch/pub/csvparser.jar
>
> It's widely used in our projects and proved to be stable up to today.
>
> Please note that this contribution is dedicated to the Apache Software
> Foundation, thank you for not using it otherwise.
>
>
> cu
> Stefan
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Stefan Rufer                                   [hidden email]
> Netcetera AG, 8040 Zuerich    phone +41 1 247 79 92  fax +41 1 247 70 75
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [io][lang] CSV parser contribution

robert burrell donkin
On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 23:20 -0400, Henri Yandell wrote:
> I'm +1 for [csv] as its own component.

+1

> A solid 3 class component is still a good component, even if it can
> handle its necessary functionality in 3 classes.

in fact, a three class component could be seen as the ultimate in
commons components ;)

> Stefan, your ending comment of:
>
> "Please note that this contribution is dedicated to the Apache Software
> Foundation, thank you for not using it otherwise."
>
> makes me worried that you might not be aware what you're getting into.
> While Netcetera AG retain copyright to their original codebase, the
> Apache version is very liberally licenced and if it should become part
> of an ASF codebase, then anyone can use it otherwise.

not sure how to parse the ending comment. the most that could be done is
that a note could be placed in the notice file.

IMHO this code would need to accepted as a formal contribution
(including getting relevant documents signed) since it's substantial and
original.

but (in any case) i think that there's a definite need for a [csv]
component...

- robert


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [io][lang] CSV parser contribution

Steven Caswell
In reply to this post by Henri Yandell
On 6/2/05, Henri Yandell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm +1 for [csv] as its own component.


+1

I'm happy to volunteer to do whatever grunt work would be involved in
getting csv set up as a commons component.

A solid 3 class component is still a good component, even if it can

> handle its necessary functionality in 3 classes.
>
> Stefan, your ending comment of:
>
> "Please note that this contribution is dedicated to the Apache Software
> Foundation, thank you for not using it otherwise."
>
> makes me worried that you might not be aware what you're getting into.
> While Netcetera AG retain copyright to their original codebase, the
> Apache version is very liberally licenced and if it should become part
> of an ASF codebase, then anyone can use it otherwise.
>
> The feature list looks nice though :)
>
> Hen
>
> On 6/2/05, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello:
> >
> > You may want to check the following implementation:
> >
> > http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=31355
> >
> > I am not sure what the best place for this is [io], [lang], [codec]?
> >
> > Gary
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Stefan Rufer [mailto:[hidden email]]
> > Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 1:53 AM
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: [io][lang] CSV parser contribution
> >
> > Following the discussion about CSV parsing/writing on this list
> > Netcetera AG would like to contribute a CSV parser to jakarta.
> >
> > Features:
> > - configurable delimiter (delimiter may appear in complex values)
> > - complex values (including newlines -> multiline values)
> > - unicode escapes
> > - empty line skipping support
> > - comment support
> > - hardcoded record separators (\n or \r\n)
> >
> > According to Simon Kitching, commons-io or commons-lang might be a place
> > for
> > such a simple implementation. If you have any better idea feel free to
> > hand it
> > on inside jakarta.
> >
> > Source and test code can be found here
> > ftp://ftp.netcetera.ch/pub/csvparser.jar
> >
> > It's widely used in our projects and proved to be stable up to today.
> >
> > Please note that this contribution is dedicated to the Apache Software
> > Foundation, thank you for not using it otherwise.
> >
> >
> > cu
> > Stefan
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Stefan Rufer [hidden email]
> > Netcetera AG, 8040 Zuerich phone +41 1 247 79 92 fax +41 1 247 70 75
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> > For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
> >
> >
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> > For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
> >
> >
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>


--
Steven Caswell
[hidden email]

Take back the web - http://www.mozilla.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [io][lang] CSV parser contribution

Stefan Rufer
In reply to this post by Henri Yandell
On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Henri Yandell wrote:
> Stefan, your ending comment of:
>
> "Please note that this contribution is dedicated to the Apache Software
> Foundation, thank you for not using it otherwise."
>
> makes me worried that you might not be aware what you're getting into.
> While Netcetera AG retain copyright to their original codebase, the
> Apache version is very liberally licenced and if it should become part
> of an ASF codebase, then anyone can use it otherwise.

Oh, sorry about this. I'm quite a newbie in terms of "contributing" and
the sentence was meant to make clear that the code is not to be used or
distributed *before* an integration into an Apache project (if accepted).

We are aware that the code is going to be distributed under the Apache
License and that the copyright will be held by the ASF. Furthermore, the
contribution is backed by management support at Netcetera.

Robert wrote about "formal contribution": Is there action to be taken by
Netcetera yet?

I would be happy to help whatever I can if a [csv] component is being set
up or an integration is to be done - please let me know.


Stefan

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]