j2me commons?

Nick Burch
Hi All

I've been chatting to a few people at ApacheCon about a j2me commons, and
they suggested I bring the idea to the dev list.

My idea was to have a commons library that implemented all the common
things you want to do for j2me, which have annoyingly been missed out of
the j2me spec, or are quite hard to do.

Currently, I have a few functions that I've written for a project, which
I'm happy to apache license. What I also have is tests for them, and some
ant magic which allows you to build them on j2se, and also to unit test
them on j2se, against a j2me class library (assuming you have the sun wtk
installed somewhere)

Do people think this is worth putting in as a new sandbox component? I'm
happy to oversee the new component, if people are happy for me to put it
in (+grant myself appropriate svn karma to do so)

Nick

Re: j2me commons?

James Carman
That sounds more like something that would be a top-level-project,
IMHO.  I could see multiple modules in something like J2ME Commons.
I'm sure there isn't a standard set of "things you want to do for
j2me."  I would assume (having never written for the J2ME platform)
that there are various categories of "things" you'd want to do.

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Nick Burch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All
>
>  I've been chatting to a few people at ApacheCon about a j2me commons, and
>  they suggested I bring the idea to the dev list.
>
>  My idea was to have a commons library that implemented all the common
>  things you want to do for j2me, which have annoyingly been missed out of
>  the j2me spec, or are quite hard to do.
>
>  Currently, I have a few functions that I've written for a project, which
>  I'm happy to apache license. What I also have is tests for them, and some
>  ant magic which allows you to build them on j2se, and also to unit test
>  them on j2se, against a j2me class library (assuming you have the sun wtk
>  installed somewhere)
>

>  Do people think this is worth putting in as a new sandbox component? I'm
>  happy to oversee the new component, if people are happy for me to put it
>  in (+grant myself appropriate svn karma to do so)
>
>  Nick

Re: j2me commons?

Nick Burch
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, James Carman wrote:
> That sounds more like something that would be a top-level-project,
> IMHO.

Possibly much longer term, if there was the interest to sustain it!

> I could see multiple modules in something like J2ME Commons. I'm sure
> there isn't a standard set of "things you want to do for j2me."  I would
> assume (having never written for the J2ME platform) that there are
> various categories of "things" you'd want to do.

Most j2me programs get passed through pre-processors which strip out
un-used classes and methods, before being packaged for the phone. So, in
theory, it wouldn't matter too much if we gathered quite a lot of code in
one library initially, as people would only end up with what they need on
the phone

(I'm not sure how much interest there will be in a j2me commons, as most
phones have very open source hostile security rules, lack of open source
friendly dev environments etc, so there might not be a huge ecosystem of
developers)

Nick

Re: j2me commons?

Rahul Akolkar
On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Nick Burch <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I've been chatting to a few people at ApacheCon about a j2me commons, and
> they suggested I bring the idea to the dev list.

<snip/>

I'm one of those people.

> My idea was to have a commons library that implemented all the common
> things you want to do for j2me, which have annoyingly been missed out of
> the j2me spec, or are quite hard to do.
>
> Currently, I have a few functions that I've written for a project, which
> I'm happy to apache license. What I also have is tests for them, and some
> ant magic which allows you to build them on j2se, and also to unit test
> them on j2se, against a j2me class library (assuming you have the sun wtk
> installed somewhere)
>

> Do people think this is worth putting in as a new sandbox component? I'm
> happy to oversee the new component, if people are happy for me to put it
> in (+grant myself appropriate svn karma to do so)

<snap/>

I think we need a different name ( not [j2me] ). Please try to define
a scope via a proposal ( see recent example:
http://markmail.org/message/4z6z4zendcusdcnu ) -- its great for
archival so I like those things :-)

All -

I suggest we let Nick have a go at it.

The scope / component size question raised is real. I think we will
have a better idea when we see the code.

-Rahul

Re: j2me commons?

Henri Yandell
On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Rahul Akolkar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Nick Burch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi All
>  >
>  > I've been chatting to a few people at ApacheCon about a j2me commons, and
>  > they suggested I bring the idea to the dev list.
>  >
>  <snip/>
>
>  I'm one of those people.
>

>  > My idea was to have a commons library that implemented all the common
>  > things you want to do for j2me, which have annoyingly been missed out of
>  > the j2me spec, or are quite hard to do.
>  >
>  > Currently, I have a few functions that I've written for a project, which
>  > I'm happy to apache license. What I also have is tests for them, and some
>  > ant magic which allows you to build them on j2se, and also to unit test
>  > them on j2se, against a j2me class library (assuming you have the sun wtk
>  > installed somewhere)
>  >
>  >
>  > Do people think this is worth putting in as a new sandbox component? I'm
>  > happy to oversee the new component, if people are happy for me to put it
>  > in (+grant myself appropriate svn karma to do so)
>  >
>  <snap/>
>
>  I think we need a different name ( not [j2me] ). Please try to define
>  a scope via a proposal ( see recent example:
>  http://markmail.org/message/4z6z4zendcusdcnu ) -- its great for
>  archival so I like those things :-)
>
>  All -
>
>  I suggest we let Nick have a go at it.
>
>  The scope / component size question raised is real. I think we will
>  have a better idea when we see the code.

+1, good thinking. If things scope grows too large, they can always go
upwards. It's much harder for an Incubator project or TLP to discover
it was in fact too small and go downwards. As Nick's a committer,
let's give him Sandbox space.

Hen

Re: j2me commons?

James Carman
How about this goes into Jakarta?

On 4/10/08, Henri Yandell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Rahul Akolkar <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Nick Burch <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi All
> >  >
> >  > I've been chatting to a few people at ApacheCon about a j2me commons,
> and
> >  > they suggested I bring the idea to the dev list.
> >  >
> >  <snip/>
> >
> >  I'm one of those people.
> >

> >  > My idea was to have a commons library that implemented all the common
> >  > things you want to do for j2me, which have annoyingly been missed out
> of
> >  > the j2me spec, or are quite hard to do.
> >  >
> >  > Currently, I have a few functions that I've written for a project,
> which
> >  > I'm happy to apache license. What I also have is tests for them, and
> some
> >  > ant magic which allows you to build them on j2se, and also to unit test
> >  > them on j2se, against a j2me class library (assuming you have the sun
> wtk
> >  > installed somewhere)
> >  >
> >  >
> >  > Do people think this is worth putting in as a new sandbox component?
> I'm
> >  > happy to oversee the new component, if people are happy for me to put
> it
> >  > in (+grant myself appropriate svn karma to do so)
> >  >
> >  <snap/>
> >
> >  I think we need a different name ( not [j2me] ). Please try to define
> >  a scope via a proposal ( see recent example:
> >  http://markmail.org/message/4z6z4zendcusdcnu ) -- its great for
> >  archival so I like those things :-)
> >
> >  All -
> >
> >  I suggest we let Nick have a go at it.
> >
> >  The scope / component size question raised is real. I think we will
> >  have a better idea when we see the code.
>
> +1, good thinking. If things scope grows too large, they can always go
> upwards. It's much harder for an Incubator project or TLP to discover
> it was in fact too small and go downwards. As Nick's a committer,
> let's give him Sandbox space.
>
> Hen

Re: j2me commons?

Niall Pemberton
On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 8:23 PM, Henri Yandell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Rahul Akolkar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  > On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Nick Burch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  >
>  > > Hi All
>  >  >
>  >  > I've been chatting to a few people at ApacheCon about a j2me commons, and
>  >  > they suggested I bring the idea to the dev list.
>  >  >
>  >  <snip/>
>  >
>  >  I'm one of those people.
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >  > My idea was to have a commons library that implemented all the common
>  >  > things you want to do for j2me, which have annoyingly been missed out of
>  >  > the j2me spec, or are quite hard to do.
>  >  >
>  >  > Currently, I have a few functions that I've written for a project, which
>  >  > I'm happy to apache license. What I also have is tests for them, and some
>  >  > ant magic which allows you to build them on j2se, and also to unit test
>  >  > them on j2se, against a j2me class library (assuming you have the sun wtk
>  >  > installed somewhere)
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  > Do people think this is worth putting in as a new sandbox component? I'm
>  >  > happy to oversee the new component, if people are happy for me to put it
>  >  > in (+grant myself appropriate svn karma to do so)
>  >  >
>  >  <snap/>
>  >
>  >  I think we need a different name ( not [j2me] ). Please try to define
>  >  a scope via a proposal ( see recent example:
>  >  http://markmail.org/message/4z6z4zendcusdcnu ) -- its great for
>  >  archival so I like those things :-)
>  >
>  >  All -
>  >
>  >  I suggest we let Nick have a go at it.
>  >
>  >  The scope / component size question raised is real. I think we will
>  >  have a better idea when we see the code.
>
>  +1, good thinking. If things scope grows too large, they can always go
>  upwards. It's much harder for an Incubator project or TLP to discover
>  it was in fact too small and go downwards. As Nick's a committer,
>  let's give him Sandbox space.

No problem from me doing this in the sandbox and seeing how it works out.

Niall

>  Hen

Re: j2me commons?

James Carman
On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 3:23 PM, Henri Yandell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  +1, good thinking. If things scope grows too large, they can always go
>  upwards. It's much harder for an Incubator project or TLP to discover
>  it was in fact too small and go downwards. As Nick's a committer,
>  let's give him Sandbox space.

I guess there's no rule that says that a commons project can't itself
have subprojects, so I guess it could get split that way and just stay
in commons (it doesn't have to become a TLP necessarily, but it
probably would if it got too big).  I'm +1 for sandboxing it.

Re: j2me commons?

Henri Yandell
No :)

[Damn.. I have to justify that? What happened to "Because I said
so".... "Because it's hot and will hurt".... gah]

Jakarta's on the way out as it's a disjoint umbrella. Commons is a
joint umbrella [erm... maybe I can't abuse English that way...
overlapping umbrella] and is the way of the future(tm).

Hen

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 1:03 PM, James Carman
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>  > >  <snap/>
>  > >
>  > >  I think we need a different name ( not [j2me] ). Please try to define
>  > >  a scope via a proposal ( see recent example:
>  > >  http://markmail.org/message/4z6z4zendcusdcnu ) -- its great for
>  > >  archival so I like those things :-)
>  > >
>  > >  All -
>  > >
>  > >  I suggest we let Nick have a go at it.
>  > >
>  > >  The scope / component size question raised is real. I think we will
>  > >  have a better idea when we see the code.
>  >
>  > +1, good thinking. If things scope grows too large, they can always go
>  > upwards. It's much harder for an Incubator project or TLP to discover
>  > it was in fact too small and go downwards. As Nick's a committer,

Re: j2me commons?

Luc Maisonobe
Selon Rahul Akolkar <[hidden email]>:

> I suggest we let Nick have a go at it.

+1

Luc

Re: j2me commons?

Nick Burch
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Rahul Akolkar wrote:
> I think we need a different name ( not [j2me] ). Please try to define a
> scope via a proposal ( see recent example:
> http://markmail.org/message/4z6z4zendcusdcnu ) -- its great for archival
> so I like those things :-)

OK, I'll try and draw up a proposal in the next few days.

Naming wise, the ones that I can think of are me, mobile or micro. Might
be a bit broad/generic though, what do people think?

Nick

Re: j2me commons?

James Carman
Micro is too close to macro! ;).

On 4/11/08, Nick Burch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Rahul Akolkar wrote:
> > I think we need a different name ( not [j2me] ). Please try to define a
> > scope via a proposal ( see recent example:
> > http://markmail.org/message/4z6z4zendcusdcnu ) -- its great for archival
> > so I like those things :-)
>
> OK, I'll try and draw up a proposal in the next few days.
>
> Naming wise, the ones that I can think of are me, mobile or micro. Might
> be a bit broad/generic though, what do people think?
>
> Nick

Re: j2me commons?

Rahul Akolkar
On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 7:32 AM, Nick Burch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Rahul Akolkar wrote:
> > I think we need a different name ( not [j2me] ). Please try to define a
> > scope via a proposal ( see recent example:
> > http://markmail.org/message/4z6z4zendcusdcnu ) -- its great for archival
> > so I like those things :-)
>
> OK, I'll try and draw up a proposal in the next few days.
>
> Naming wise, the ones that I can think of are me, mobile or micro. Might
> be a bit broad/generic though, what do people think?

<snip/>

I'm fine with any of those.

-Rahul

Re: j2me commons?

Martin van den Bemt
lol :)

Mvgr,
Martin

James Carman wrote:

> How about this goes into Jakarta?
>

> On 4/10/08, Henri Yandell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Rahul Akolkar <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>>  >
>>>  > I've been chatting to a few people at ApacheCon about a j2me commons,
>> and
>>>  > they suggested I bring the idea to the dev list.
>>>  >
>>>  <snip/>
>>>
>>>  I'm one of those people.
>>>

>>>  > My idea was to have a commons library that implemented all the common
>>>  > things you want to do for j2me, which have annoyingly been missed out
>> of
>>>  > the j2me spec, or are quite hard to do.
>>>  >
>>>  > Currently, I have a few functions that I've written for a project,
>> which
>>>  > I'm happy to apache license. What I also have is tests for them, and
>> some
>>>  > ant magic which allows you to build them on j2se, and also to unit test
>>>  > them on j2se, against a j2me class library (assuming you have the sun
>> wtk
>>>  > installed somewhere)
>>>  >
>>>  >
>>>  > Do people think this is worth putting in as a new sandbox component?
>> I'm
>>>  > happy to oversee the new component, if people are happy for me to put
>> it
>>>  > in (+grant myself appropriate svn karma to do so)
>>>  >
>>>  <snap/>
>>>
>>>  I think we need a different name ( not [j2me] ). Please try to define
>>>  a scope via a proposal ( see recent example:
>>>  http://markmail.org/message/4z6z4zendcusdcnu ) -- its great for
>>>  archival so I like those things :-)
>>>
>>>  All -
>>>
>>>  I suggest we let Nick have a go at it.
>>>
>>>  The scope / component size question raised is real. I think we will
>>>  have a better idea when we see the code.
>> +1, good thinking. If things scope grows too large, they can always go
>> upwards. It's much harder for an Incubator project or TLP to discover
>> it was in fact too small and go downwards. As Nick's a committer,
>> let's give him Sandbox space.
>>
>> Hen

Re: j2me commons?

Martin van den Bemt
+1 to the proposal..
Don't know if I will ever get around to helping though..

Mvgr,
Martin

Nick Burch wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I've been chatting to a few people at ApacheCon about a j2me commons, and
> they suggested I bring the idea to the dev list.
>
> My idea was to have a commons library that implemented all the common
> things you want to do for j2me, which have annoyingly been missed out of
> the j2me spec, or are quite hard to do.
>
> Currently, I have a few functions that I've written for a project, which
> I'm happy to apache license. What I also have is tests for them, and some
> ant magic which allows you to build them on j2se, and also to unit test
> them on j2se, against a j2me class library (assuming you have the sun wtk
> installed somewhere)
>

> Do people think this is worth putting in as a new sandbox component? I'm
> happy to oversee the new component, if people are happy for me to put it
> in (+grant myself appropriate svn karma to do so)
>
> Nick

Re: j2me commons?

James Carman
Is Jakarta essentially dead?  I thought Jakarta was the place for all
things Java at the ASF.  That's where the "regular" commons project
started out.  It makes sense to me that the JME (J2ME whatever)
commons project would start there.

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 5:10 PM, Martin van den Bemt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>  >>>  have a better idea when we see the code.
>  >> +1, good thinking. If things scope grows too large, they can always go
>  >> upwards. It's much harder for an Incubator project or TLP to discover
>  >> it was in fact too small and go downwards. As Nick's a committer,
>  >> let's give him Sandbox space.
>  >>
>  >> Hen
>  >>
>  >> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>  >> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>  >> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>  >>
>  >>
>  >
>  > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>  > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>  > For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: j2me commons?

Martin van den Bemt
Jakarta is not dead, but is frozen and the goal is to have the projects left to eg go TLP (or find a
place with mutual interest), so that decisions are made in the best interest of that project. Also
as a PMC member you are responsible for the TLP, which in the old Jakarta days was insane to
achieve. With Jakarta subprojects becoming TLP you can actually chose to just focus on your own
codebase, without access bagage. Also problems that may arise in a subproject that are kind of
disconnected from the rest are hard to fix / take responsibility for and that job should actually be
done by the board, who has a mandate for that.
You might wonder why commons isn't a problem : it has focus, partially on a technical level (eg
backward compatibility), but mainly on a community level. We all feel repsonsible for the commons
components (although we don't all develop on all the components or understand them)..

HTH :)

Mvgr,
Martin

James Carman wrote:

> [...]
>>  >>>  have a better idea when we see the code.
>>  >> +1, good thinking. If things scope grows too large, they can always go
>>  >> upwards. It's much harder for an Incubator project or TLP to discover
>>  >> it was in fact too small and go downwards. As Nick's a committer,
>>  >> let's give him Sandbox space.
>>  >>
>>  >> Hen
>>  >>
>>  >> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>  >> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>  >> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >
>>  > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>  > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>  > For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: j2me commons?

Nick Burch
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008, Rahul Akolkar wrote:
>> Naming wise, the ones that I can think of are me, mobile or micro. Might
>> be a bit broad/generic though, what do people think?
>>
> <snip/>
>
> I'm fine with any of those.

OK, I've gone with "me" for now, but I'm happy to change if there's a
preference for something else

I've created a proposal, based on the template, in svn at:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/sandbox/me/trunk/PROPOSAL.html?view=markup
comments welcome :)

I'll aim to add a little bit of real code fairly soon, then I'll update
the wiki once people are happy with the proposal

Cheers
Nick