[jasper] compiling jsp in osgi context

Gilles Dodinet
hi-

i'm trying to execute jsp in an osgi context with no luck as of today.
i've embedded jetty as an osgi bundle and registered a BundleListener
which registers installed bundles as webapp if they contain a web
descriptor file. so far so good. it plays nice with simple html files.
however i'm encountering troubles when it comes to jsp. generated
servlets don't compile anything because javax.servlet.* classes are not
found (please note that the transformation process is successfull).

in the manifest i declare javax.servlet as Import-Package (most prolly
this seems to cause the issue) and jetty, jasper and related
dependencies as bundled libs. Also as jasper seems to require an
urlclassloader i've come up with a (pretty simple) custom urlclassloader
which delegates all calls to either the target bundle (i.e. the
installed bundle which wraps the webapp) or the current bundle.  jasper
classes are succesfully loaded, but not the javax.servlet.* classes.
googling about this using various criteria gives me in only three
relevant results :

1/ embedded pagebox whose earlier version (2001) targets the same
problematic as me. since it is released under lgpl i've tried to use it
to match my specific needs, however it pretty quick became total hackery
- 2000 lines src files not maintained since 2001 or so and they
duplicate lot of services already provided by containers.
2/ a thread on oscar user list with no anwer
3/ a wiki page (entitled 'Tomcat as osgi bundles' and hosted on safehaus
- with just a listing of bundles i'm unable to find) so i thought i
could ask here if someone came to a solution to this problem. Has it
already be done yet ?

below are the relevant manifest entries and webapp registration code.
the target bundle as no Import-Package and no classes (just the simplest
hello world). webapp registration [1] assigns the currentThead
contextClassLoader to the simple delegating classloader discussed above
- needed to start the webapp, and [2] sets the WebApplicationContext
ClassLoader to the exact same ClassLoader - which i thought would have
provided javax.servlet.* classes.

this may not be the best list for this question (should i rather ask on
jetty or triplesec user lists ?), anyway thanks for any input.

Import-Package: org.osgi.service.http,javax.servlet,
 javax.servlet.http,org.osgi.framework,net.joss.utils
Bundle-Classpath: .,
 org.mortbay.jetty-5.1.4.jar,
 commons-logging-1.0.4.jar,
 servlet-api-2.4.jar,
 xerces-2.4.0.jar,
 xmlParserAPIs-2.6.2.jar,
 xml-apis-2.0.2.jar,
 jsp-api-2.0.jar,
 jasper-compiler-5.5.9.jar,
 jasper-runtime-5.5.9.jar,
 commons-el-1.0.jar,
 ant-1.6.2.jar

class JettyWrapper
{
     public void createApplication(final String appName, final File app,
final Bundle fromBundle)
     {
        Thread thread = new Thread()
            {
                public void run()
               {
                    try
                    {
                        ClassLoader loader = new DelegatingClassLoader(
                                fromBundle,
                                this.getClass().getClassLoader());

Thread.currentThread().setContextClassLoader(loader);    [1]

                        String location = app.getAbsolutePath();

                        WebApplicationContext context =
                            jetty.addWebApplication("/" + appName,
location);

                        context.setClassLoader(loader);    [2]
                        context.start();
                    }
                    catch (Exception e)
                    {
                        LOG.error("Unable to start '" + appName + "'
context", e);
            };

            thread.start();

-- gd

Re: [jasper] compiling jsp in osgi context

Martin Cooper
I'm not sure I understand what the relationship is between what you're doing
and Jakarta Commons, if there is one. Note that Jasper is part of the Tomcat
project, so I would suggest asking over there.

--
Martin Cooper

On 9/5/05, Gilles Dodinet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> fromBundle,
> this.getClass().getClassLoader());
>

> Thread.currentThread().setContextClassLoader(loader); [1]
>
> String location = app.getAbsolutePath();
>
> WebApplicationContext context =
> jetty.addWebApplication("/" + appName,
> location);
>
> context.setClassLoader(loader); [2]
> context.start();
> }
> catch (Exception e)
> {
> LOG.error("Unable to start '" + appName + "'
> context", e);
> }
> }
> };
>
> thread.start();
>
> }
> }
>
> -- gd

Re: [jasper] compiling jsp in osgi context

oh. right, my mistake! gonna ask there. thanks!

-- gd