[jcs] jcache support?

Romain Manni-Bucau
Hi

will jcs support jcache? Is it planned?

Romain Manni-Bucau
Twitter: @rmannibucau
Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/
Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau

Re: [jcs] jcache support?

Thomas Vandahl
On 21.04.14 13:51, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:
> Hi
>
> will jcs support jcache? Is it planned?

See http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-jcs/JCSandJCACHE.html for
comments on this topic.

Bye, Thomas.

Re: [jcs] jcache support?

Romain Manni-Bucau
saw it, I can rephrase the question this way: will tomee be able to
rely on jcs or should we directly use ehcache as do cxf already for
other needs.

I'd like to see an apache product in the box but not sure we'll find
enough time to make it real short term

Romain Manni-Bucau
Twitter: @rmannibucau
Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/
Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau

> On 21.04.14 13:51, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> will jcs support jcache? Is it planned?
>
> See http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-jcs/JCSandJCACHE.html for
> comments on this topic.
>
> Bye, Thomas.

Re: [jcs] jcache support?

Romain Manni-Bucau
opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCS-118 to at least track it

Romain Manni-Bucau
Twitter: @rmannibucau
Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/
Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau

> saw it, I can rephrase the question this way: will tomee be able to
> rely on jcs or should we directly use ehcache as do cxf already for
> other needs.
>
> I'd like to see an apache product in the box but not sure we'll find
> enough time to make it real short term
>

> Romain Manni-Bucau
> Twitter: @rmannibucau

>> On 21.04.14 13:51, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> will jcs support jcache? Is it planned?
>>
>> See http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-jcs/JCSandJCACHE.html for
>> comments on this topic.
>>
>> Bye, Thomas.

Re: [jcs] jcache support?

Thomas Vandahl
On 21.04.14 19:06, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:
> saw it, I can rephrase the question this way: will tomee be able to
> rely on jcs or should we directly use ehcache as do cxf already for
> other needs.
>
> I'd like to see an apache product in the box but not sure we'll find
> enough time to make it real short term

Me too. I think it should be not too hard and the 2.0 release is
certainly a good milestone to work on this. At the moment, however, I
maintain this project pretty much alone and I have no idea what JCache
means and how it is related to the current architecture of JCS.
I'm willing to help as much as I can.

Bye, Thomas.

Re: [jcs] jcache support?

Romain Manni-Bucau
Great Thomas,

Ill try to setup tck in the week then.we can see how far we are.

EE side should bring some more people so it can be important for jcs too.
Le 21 avr. 2014 19:39, "Thomas Vandahl" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> On 21.04.14 19:06, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:
> > saw it, I can rephrase the question this way: will tomee be able to
> > rely on jcs or should we directly use ehcache as do cxf already for
> > other needs.
> >
> > I'd like to see an apache product in the box but not sure we'll find
> > enough time to make it real short term
> >

> Me too. I think it should be not too hard and the 2.0 release is
> certainly a good milestone to work on this. At the moment, however, I
> maintain this project pretty much alone and I have no idea what JCache
> means and how it is related to the current architecture of JCS.
> I'm willing to help as much as I can.
>
> Bye, Thomas.

Re: [jcs] jcache support?

Jean-Louis MONTEIRO-2
+1, that'd be awesome.
I don't think it's a big word/rework. Crossing fingers, it's just a matter
of some interfaces and an SPI to implement.

JLouis

> On 21.04.14 19:06, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:
> > saw it, I can rephrase the question this way: will tomee be able to
> > rely on jcs or should we directly use ehcache as do cxf already for
> > other needs.
> >
> > I'd like to see an apache product in the box but not sure we'll find
> > enough time to make it real short term
> >

> Me too. I think it should be not too hard and the 2.0 release is
> certainly a good milestone to work on this. At the moment, however, I
> maintain this project pretty much alone and I have no idea what JCache
> means and how it is related to the current architecture of JCS.
> I'm willing to help as much as I can.
>
> Bye, Thomas.

Jean-Louis

Re: [jcs] jcache support?

Romain Manni-Bucau
Did some more work ( still attached to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCS-118 - side note: i didnt
recheck defaults tests here so maybe seomthing is broken regarding the
configuration I changed a bit as mentionned in a comment )

The question at this point is how to go ahead? My main issue is while
we don't have a fully working patch how can we share changes. Not sure
patches are the best solution. [sandbox] could be since we are more to
have perms.

wdyt?

Romain Manni-Bucau
Twitter: @rmannibucau
Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/
Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau

> +1, that'd be awesome.
> I don't think it's a big word/rework. Crossing fingers, it's just a matter
> of some interfaces and an SPI to implement.
>
> JLouis

>> On 21.04.14 19:06, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:
>> > saw it, I can rephrase the question this way: will tomee be able to
>> > rely on jcs or should we directly use ehcache as do cxf already for
>> > other needs.
>> >
>> > I'd like to see an apache product in the box but not sure we'll find
>> > enough time to make it real short term
>> >

>> Me too. I think it should be not too hard and the 2.0 release is
>> certainly a good milestone to work on this. At the moment, however, I
>> maintain this project pretty much alone and I have no idea what JCache
>> means and how it is related to the current architecture of JCS.
>> I'm willing to help as much as I can.
>>
>> Bye, Thomas.

> Jean-Louis

Re: [jcs] jcache support?

Jean-Louis MONTEIRO-2
You mean move to the sandbox area to work more easily on JCache
specification implementation.
And maybe try to get JCS to incubator and then try to promote to TLP?

Not sure I got all your points.

JLouis

> Did some more work ( still attached to
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCS-118 - side note: i didnt
> recheck defaults tests here so maybe seomthing is broken regarding the
> configuration I changed a bit as mentionned in a comment )
>
> The question at this point is how to go ahead? My main issue is while
> we don't have a fully working patch how can we share changes. Not sure
> patches are the best solution. [sandbox] could be since we are more to
> have perms.
>
> wdyt?
>

> Romain Manni-Bucau
> Twitter: @rmannibucau

> > +1, that'd be awesome.
> > I don't think it's a big word/rework. Crossing fingers, it's just a
> matter
> > of some interfaces and an SPI to implement.
> >
> > JLouis

> >> Me too. I think it should be not too hard and the 2.0 release is
> >> certainly a good milestone to work on this. At the moment, however, I
> >> maintain this project pretty much alone and I have no idea what JCache
> >> means and how it is related to the current architecture of JCS.
> >> I'm willing to help as much as I can.
> >>
> >> Bye, Thomas.

> > --
> > Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Re: [jcs] jcache support?

Romain Manni-Bucau
yep was the idea.

promoting jcs to incubator would definively be great.

The short term question and sandbox reference was more: how can we
work together on tcks. Using patches makes it hard (you need to merge
all patches etc if several people are contributing).

Romain Manni-Bucau
Twitter: @rmannibucau
Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/
Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau

> You mean move to the sandbox area to work more easily on JCache
> specification implementation.
> And maybe try to get JCS to incubator and then try to promote to TLP?
>
> Not sure I got all your points.
>
> JLouis

>> Did some more work ( still attached to
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCS-118 - side note: i didnt
>> recheck defaults tests here so maybe seomthing is broken regarding the
>> configuration I changed a bit as mentionned in a comment )
>>
>> The question at this point is how to go ahead? My main issue is while
>> we don't have a fully working patch how can we share changes. Not sure
>> patches are the best solution. [sandbox] could be since we are more to
>> have perms.
>>
>> wdyt?
>>

>> Romain Manni-Bucau
>> Twitter: @rmannibucau

>> > +1, that'd be awesome.
>> > I don't think it's a big word/rework. Crossing fingers, it's just a
>> matter
>> > of some interfaces and an SPI to implement.
>> >
>> > JLouis

>> > --
>> > Jean-Louis

> Jean-Louis

Re: [jcs] jcache support?

Siegfried Goeschl-3
Hi folks,

don't know the official view of things (current ASF Git support) but I
use GitHub to work on refactoring since it allows broader contribution
(only GitHub account is required)

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

On 25.04.14 09:28, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:

> yep was the idea.
>
> promoting jcs to incubator would definively be great.
>
> The short term question and sandbox reference was more: how can we
> work together on tcks. Using patches makes it hard (you need to merge
> all patches etc if several people are contributing).
>

> Romain Manni-Bucau
> Twitter: @rmannibucau

>> You mean move to the sandbox area to work more easily on JCache
>> specification implementation.
>> And maybe try to get JCS to incubator and then try to promote to TLP?
>>
>> Not sure I got all your points.
>>
>> JLouis

>>> Did some more work ( still attached to
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCS-118 - side note: i didnt
>>> recheck defaults tests here so maybe seomthing is broken regarding the
>>> configuration I changed a bit as mentionned in a comment )
>>>
>>> The question at this point is how to go ahead? My main issue is while
>>> we don't have a fully working patch how can we share changes. Not sure
>>> patches are the best solution. [sandbox] could be since we are more to
>>> have perms.
>>>
>>> wdyt?
>>>

>>> Romain Manni-Bucau
>>> Twitter: @rmannibucau
>>> Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/
>>> LinkedIn: http://fr.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau
>>> Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau

>>> matter

>> --
>> Jean-Louis

Re: [jcs] jcache support?

Romain Manni-Bucau
Ok, will try.

Thanks

Romain Manni-Bucau
Twitter: @rmannibucau
Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/
Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau

> Hi folks,
>
> don't know the official view of things (current ASF Git support) but I use
> GitHub to work on refactoring since it allows broader contribution (only
> GitHub account is required)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Siegfried Goeschl
>

> On 25.04.14 09:28, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:
>>
>> yep was the idea.
>>
>> promoting jcs to incubator would definively be great.
>>
>> The short term question and sandbox reference was more: how can we
>> work together on tcks. Using patches makes it hard (you need to merge
>> all patches etc if several people are contributing).
>>

>> Romain Manni-Bucau
>> Twitter: @rmannibucau

>>> You mean move to the sandbox area to work more easily on JCache
>>> specification implementation.
>>> And maybe try to get JCS to incubator and then try to promote to TLP?
>>>
>>> Not sure I got all your points.
>>>
>>> JLouis

>>> --
>>> Jean-Louis

Re: [jcs] jcache support?

Romain Manni-Bucau
forked https://github.com/rmannibucau/commons-jcs,

still some work to make TCKs passing (first step) then make it usable
(think we'll pass tck in local mode then we need to make them
distributed friendly).

current status:

PS: can be run using tck.sh

Romain Manni-Bucau
Twitter: @rmannibucau
Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/
Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau

> Ok, will try.
>
> Thanks
>

> Romain Manni-Bucau
> Twitter: @rmannibucau

>> Hi folks,
>>
>> don't know the official view of things (current ASF Git support) but I use
>> GitHub to work on refactoring since it allows broader contribution (only
>> GitHub account is required)
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Siegfried Goeschl
>>

>> On 25.04.14 09:28, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:
>>>
>>> yep was the idea.
>>>
>>> promoting jcs to incubator would definively be great.
>>>
>>> The short term question and sandbox reference was more: how can we
>>> work together on tcks. Using patches makes it hard (you need to merge
>>> all patches etc if several people are contributing).
>>>

>>> Romain Manni-Bucau
>>> Twitter: @rmannibucau
>>> Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/
>>> LinkedIn: http://fr.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau
>>> Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau

Re: [jcs] jcache support?

Romain Manni-Bucau
side note: do we plan - after jcache first support please otherwise
merge will be a pain - to align project structure on the default maven
one (src/main/java, src/main/resources, src/test/java,
src/test/resources)?

would surely be easier for any new volunteer.

Romain Manni-Bucau
Twitter: @rmannibucau
Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/
Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau

> forked https://github.com/rmannibucau/commons-jcs,
>

> still some work to make TCKs passing (first step) then make it usable
> (think we'll pass tck in local mode then we need to make them
> distributed friendly).
>
> current status:
>
> PS: can be run using tck.sh
>

> Romain Manni-Bucau
> Twitter: @rmannibucau

>> Ok, will try.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> Romain Manni-Bucau
>> Twitter: @rmannibucau

>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> don't know the official view of things (current ASF Git support) but I use
>>> GitHub to work on refactoring since it allows broader contribution (only
>>> GitHub account is required)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Siegfried Goeschl

Re: [jcs] jcache support?

Olivier Lamy
Hi,
I will have a look at the pr. Then move to defaut maven sources directories.

*NOTE*: jsr 107 is java 1.7 required. (just before someone complain :-) ).

Then I agree on moving to incubator.

On 27 April 2014 19:10, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> side note: do we plan - after jcache first support please otherwise
> merge will be a pain - to align project structure on the default maven
> one (src/main/java, src/main/resources, src/test/java,
> src/test/resources)?
>
> would surely be easier for any new volunteer.
>

> Romain Manni-Bucau
> Twitter: @rmannibucau

>> forked https://github.com/rmannibucau/commons-jcs,
>>

>> still some work to make TCKs passing (first step) then make it usable
>> (think we'll pass tck in local mode then we need to make them
>> distributed friendly).
>>
>> current status:
>> Tests run: 465, Failures: 70, Errors: 22, Skipped: 0
>>
>> PS: can be run using tck.sh
>>

>> Romain Manni-Bucau
>> Twitter: @rmannibucau

>>> Ok, will try.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>>> Romain Manni-Bucau
>>> Twitter: @rmannibucau
>>> Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/
>>> LinkedIn: http://fr.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau
>>> Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau

Olivier Lamy
Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Re: [jcs] jcache support?

Olivier Lamy
BTW the ideal would be to use modules in the build as:
commons-jcs
  commons-jcs-core
  commons-jcs-tck

Any issues with changing the structure?

Olivier

--
Olivier Lamy
Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Re: [jcs] jcache support?

Romain Manni-Bucau
+1

Open question is jcs-jcache instead of jcs-tck (and jcache tests = tcks). I
think it makes sense to extract it
Le 28 avr. 2014 00:47, "Olivier Lamy" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> BTW the ideal would be to use modules in the build as:
> commons-jcs
>   commons-jcs-core
>   commons-jcs-tck
>
> Any issues with changing the structure?
>
> Olivier
>
> On 28 April 2014 09:32, Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I will have a look at the pr. Then move to defaut maven sources
> directories.
> >
> > *NOTE*: jsr 107 is java 1.7 required. (just before someone complain :-)
> ).
> >
> > Then I agree on moving to incubator.
> >

> > On 27 April 2014 19:10, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >> side note: do we plan - after jcache first support please otherwise
> >> merge will be a pain - to align project structure on the default maven
> >> one (src/main/java, src/main/resources, src/test/java,
> >> src/test/resources)?
> >>
> >> would surely be easier for any new volunteer.
> >>

> >> Romain Manni-Bucau
> >> Twitter: @rmannibucau
> >> Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/
> >> LinkedIn: http://fr.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau
> >> Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau

> I use
> (only

> merge

> TLP?

> didnt
> regarding the

> while
> sure
> more to

> >:

> just a

> able to
> already for

> we'll find

> however, I
> JCache

> > --
> > Olivier Lamy
> > Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au
> > http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy
>

> --
> Olivier Lamy
> Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au
> http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

Re: [jcs] jcache support?

Jean-Louis MONTEIRO-2
+1 Olivier
Thx

> +1
>
> Open question is jcs-jcache instead of jcs-tck (and jcache tests = tcks). I
> think it makes sense to extract it
> Le 28 avr. 2014 00:47, "Olivier Lamy" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> > BTW the ideal would be to use modules in the build as:
> > commons-jcs
> >   commons-jcs-core
> >   commons-jcs-tck
> >
> > Any issues with changing the structure?
> >
> > Olivier
> >
> > On 28 April 2014 09:32, Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I will have a look at the pr. Then move to defaut maven sources
> > directories.
> > >
> > > *NOTE*: jsr 107 is java 1.7 required. (just before someone complain :-)
> > ).
> > >
> > > Then I agree on moving to incubator.

> >:

> >:

> but
> > I use
> > (only

> > merge

> >:

> > TLP?

> > didnt
> > regarding the

> > while
> Not
> > sure
> > more to

> > >:

> > just a

> > able to
> > already for

> > we'll find

> is
> > however, I
> what
> > JCache
> JCS.

> > > --
> > > Olivier Lamy
> > > Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au
> > > http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy
> >

> > --
> > Olivier Lamy
> > Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au
> > http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

Jean-Louis

Re: [jcs] jcache support?

Thomas Vandahl
On 28.04.14 01:32, Olivier Lamy wrote:
> Hi,
> I will have a look at the pr. Then move to defaut maven sources directories.
>
> *NOTE*: jsr 107 is java 1.7 required. (just before someone complain :-) ).

This throws me out of the game. My Snow Leopard MacBook is 1.6 only.

Bye, Thomas.

Re: [jcs] jcache support?

Thomas Vandahl
On 28.04.14 01:46, Olivier Lamy wrote:
> BTW the ideal would be to use modules in the build as:
> commons-jcs
>   commons-jcs-core
>   commons-jcs-tck
>
> Any issues with changing the structure?

Could we keep the core at 1.6-compatibility?

Bye, Thomas.