[jexl] ETA for Jexl version 3.2?

Lukas Schmitt
Hello,

is there a general timeline for an official release of Jexl version 3.2?

We have verified that the bug JEXL-281 is causing performance problems for us, which will be fixed with version 3.2.

However, we would like to use an official build as we have tight regulations around using SNAPSHOT-versions of dependencies.

But as the last Jexl release is from 2017, we are not sure if we can expect a new release anytime soon.

A short answer would be very helpful.

Thanks and best regards
Lukas

Re: [jexl] ETA for Jexl version 3.2?

henrib
It's indeed long due and I would love to have it released as well (ideally
within a month).

I have a last round of improvements wrt options / features to commit.
If you can, please check the snapshot does not introduce regressions on your
end .

If if have to be the RM, it will probably be longer than a month though.
Any help / RM volunteer would be appreciated.
Cheers

--
Sent from: http://apache-commons.680414.n4.nabble.com/Commons-User-f735979.html

Re: [jexl] ETA for Jexl version 3.2?

garydgregory
I can be around to help answer questions whenever you are ready...

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 4:55 AM henrib <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's indeed long due and I would love to have it released as well (ideally
> within a month).
>
> I have a last round of improvements wrt options / features to commit.
> If you can, please check the snapshot does not introduce regressions on
> your
> end .
>
> If if have to be the RM, it will probably be longer than a month though.
> Any help / RM volunteer would be appreciated.
> Cheers
>

> --
> Sent from:
> http://apache-commons.680414.n4.nabble.com/Commons-User-f735979.html

Re: [jexl] ETA for Jexl version 3.2?

Lukas Schmitt
henrib wrote
> If you can, please check the snapshot does not introduce regressions on
> your
> end .

We are indeed seeing a regression in the 3.2-SNAPSHOT version. Evaluating
the following expression with chained method calls results in an
unresolvable property exception for methodA:

'x.methodA().methodB()'

This works in version 3.0 and 3.1.

Let me know if you need more details to reproduce this issue or if I should
rather raise an issue in Jira.

--
Sent from: http://apache-commons.680414.n4.nabble.com/Commons-User-f735979.html

Re: [jexl] ETA for Jexl version 3.2?

garydgregory
I'm not close to the JEXL component but the best way to get the ball
rolling is a JIRA ticket and PR on GitHub with at least a failing unit test
and a fix if you are up for it.

Gary

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 2:16 PM Lukas Schmitt <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> henrib wrote
> > If you can, please check the snapshot does not introduce regressions on
> > your
> > end .
>
> We are indeed seeing a regression in the 3.2-SNAPSHOT version. Evaluating
> the following expression with chained method calls results in an
> unresolvable property exception for methodA:
>
> 'x.methodA().methodB()'
>
> This works in version 3.0 and 3.1.
>
> Let me know if you need more details to reproduce this issue or if I should
> rather raise an issue in Jira.
>

> --
> Sent from:
> http://apache-commons.680414.n4.nabble.com/Commons-User-f735979.html

Re: [jexl] ETA for Jexl version 3.2?

henrib
I was not able to reproduce the problem described in a simple example (see
Issues300Test.java, method test317Tentative). Beware that 3.2 is not as
lenient (as 3.1) with respect to dereferencing nulls (safe option) so you
might now have errors were you previously had null evals.
An actual JIRA ticket with a test case showing the problem is indeed your
next step if you want a solution in 3.2.
Cheers

--
Sent from: http://apache-commons.680414.n4.nabble.com/Commons-User-f735979.html

Re: [jexl] ETA for Jexl version 3.2?

Lukas Schmitt
Thanks for your help!

When the builder is created with .safe(true) it works again as with version
3.1.

Perhaps it is additionally worth noting in the release notes that the
default behaviour will effectively change  when dereferencing null values
with version 3.2.

--
Sent from: http://apache-commons.680414.n4.nabble.com/Commons-User-f735979.html

Re: [jexl] ETA for Jexl version 3.2?

henrib
Per your comment and to ease transition for others,  default options in 3.2
trunk are back to be as 'lenient' as 3.1.
I've added a (JexBuilder.setDefaultOptions) method to statically change
those defaults in one call and help validate new flags easily; an explicit
JexlBuilder is always a better option though.
Cheers

--
Sent from: http://apache-commons.680414.n4.nabble.com/Commons-User-f735979.html