[lang] To Java 7

Re: [lang] To Java 7

Pascal Schumacher
+1

Am 23.10.2016 um 09:30 schrieb Gary Gregory:
> Hi All:
>
> Now that 3.5 is out, I think it is time to require Java 7.
>
> Thoughts?

Re: [lang] To Java 7

Benedikt Ritter-4
I don't see improvements from a user perspective when upgrading to Java 7,
but Java 6 is long EOL. So +1 from my side.

Pascal Schumacher <[hidden email]> schrieb am So., 23. Okt. 2016
um 09:31 Uhr:

> +1
>
> Am 23.10.2016 um 09:30 schrieb Gary Gregory:
> > Hi All:
> >
> > Now that 3.5 is out, I think it is time to require Java 7.
> >
> > Thoughts?

Re: [lang] To Java 7

Stian Soiland-Reyes
+1, in line with earlier discussed upgrade path we can then do a Java 7
minor version before we jump to Java 8.

On 23 Oct 2016 9:39 am, "Benedikt Ritter" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't see improvements from a user perspective when upgrading to Java 7,
> but Java 6 is long EOL. So +1 from my side.
>
> Pascal Schumacher <[hidden email]> schrieb am So., 23. Okt. 2016
> um 09:31 Uhr:
>
> > +1
> >
> > Am 23.10.2016 um 09:30 schrieb Gary Gregory:
> > > Hi All:
> > >
> > > Now that 3.5 is out, I think it is time to require Java 7.
> > >
> > > Thoughts?
> > >
> > > Gary

Re: [lang] To Java 7

Dave Brosius-2

On 10/23/2016 03:30 AM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> Now that 3.5 is out, I think it is time to require Java 7.
>
> Thoughts?

Re: [lang] To Java 7

Matt Sicker
+1, maybe there are some new features that can be added that are relevant
to JDK 7 besides just language level cleanups.

On 23 October 2016 at 07:07, Dave Brosius <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>

> On 10/23/2016 03:30 AM, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
>> Hi All:
>>
>> Now that 3.5 is out, I think it is time to require Java 7.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Gary

Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: [lang] To Java 7

sebb-2-2
It seems that Java 6 is still supported until Dec 2018 if the user
purchases Extended Support.

There are users who cannot or will not upgrade until then [1]

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/6ad212d930574a4fc3c149242561fb7228b272d9b80a4daaeee4326f@%3Cuser.commons.apache.org%3E

On 23 October 2016 at 14:59, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1, maybe there are some new features that can be added that are relevant
> to JDK 7 besides just language level cleanups.
>
> On 23 October 2016 at 07:07, Dave Brosius <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> +1
>>

>> On 10/23/2016 03:30 AM, Gary Gregory wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All:
>>>
>>> Now that 3.5 is out, I think it is time to require Java 7.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> Gary

> Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: [lang] To Java 7

Matt Sicker
Do you really think the users who are paying for extended Java 6 support
are upgrading any of their dependencies anymore?

On 23 October 2016 at 20:42, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It seems that Java 6 is still supported until Dec 2018 if the user
> purchases Extended Support.
>
> There are users who cannot or will not upgrade until then [1]
>
> [1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/6ad212d930574a4fc3c149242561fb
> 7228b272d9b80a4daaeee4326f@%3Cuser.commons.apache.org%3E
>
> On 23 October 2016 at 14:59, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > +1, maybe there are some new features that can be added that are relevant
> > to JDK 7 besides just language level cleanups.
> >
> > On 23 October 2016 at 07:07, Dave Brosius <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> +1

> > --
> > Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: [lang] To Java 7

garydgregory
I do not see why we should handcuff ourselves like that to Java 6 either.

Gary

On Oct 23, 2016 6:50 PM, "Matt Sicker" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do you really think the users who are paying for extended Java 6 support
> are upgrading any of their dependencies anymore?
>
> On 23 October 2016 at 20:42, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > It seems that Java 6 is still supported until Dec 2018 if the user
> > purchases Extended Support.
> >
> > There are users who cannot or will not upgrade until then [1]
> >
> > [1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/6ad212d930574a4fc3c149242561fb
> > 7228b272d9b80a4daaeee4326f@%3Cuser.commons.apache.org%3E
> >
> > On 23 October 2016 at 14:59, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > +1, maybe there are some new features that can be added that are
> relevant
> > > to JDK 7 besides just language level cleanups.

> > > --
> > > Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

> Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: [lang] To Java 7

Dave Brosius-2
Of course not. people with ancient builds never touch anything.

On 10/23/2016 09:49 PM, Matt Sicker wrote:

> Do you really think the users who are paying for extended Java 6 support
> are upgrading any of their dependencies anymore?
>
> On 23 October 2016 at 20:42, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It seems that Java 6 is still supported until Dec 2018 if the user
>> purchases Extended Support.
>>
>> There are users who cannot or will not upgrade until then [1]
>>
>> [1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/6ad212d930574a4fc3c149242561fb
>> 7228b272d9b80a4daaeee4326f@%3Cuser.commons.apache.org%3E
>>
>> On 23 October 2016 at 14:59, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> +1, maybe there are some new features that can be added that are relevant
>>> to JDK 7 besides just language level cleanups.

>>> --
>>> Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: [lang] To Java 7

sebb-2-2
That is not what the referenced message says.

On 24 October 2016 at 03:06, Dave Brosius <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Of course not. people with ancient builds never touch anything.
>

> On 10/23/2016 09:49 PM, Matt Sicker wrote:
>>
>> Do you really think the users who are paying for extended Java 6 support
>> are upgrading any of their dependencies anymore?
>>
>> On 23 October 2016 at 20:42, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> It seems that Java 6 is still supported until Dec 2018 if the user
>>> purchases Extended Support.
>>>
>>> There are users who cannot or will not upgrade until then [1]
>>>
>>> [1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/6ad212d930574a4fc3c149242561fb
>>> 7228b272d9b80a4daaeee4326f@%3Cuser.commons.apache.org%3E

Re: [lang] To Java 7

Matt Sicker
Oh, neat, I already made the same argument in the linked post, so I have no
need to type it all out again. ;)

On 23 October 2016 at 21:20, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That is not what the referenced message says.
>
> On 24 October 2016 at 03:06, Dave Brosius <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Of course not. people with ancient builds never touch anything.
> >

> > On 10/23/2016 09:49 PM, Matt Sicker wrote:
> >>
> >> Do you really think the users who are paying for extended Java 6 support
> >> are upgrading any of their dependencies anymore?

> 6ad212d930574a4fc3c149242561fb

Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: [lang] To Java 7

jochen-2
On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 3:42 AM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It seems that Java 6 is still supported until Dec 2018 if the user
> purchases Extended Support.

Given that

   a) We don't enforce users to upgrade.
   b) The decision to move to Java 7 doesn't prevent us from opening
        a maintenance branch for 3.5.
   c) If we decide for an incompatible change, there is an opportunity
       for other such changes. As a consequence, the next release will
       most likely take some time, and Dec 2018 might easily be in the
       past, when we do that release.

I don't see, why we should bother to care for that fact.

Jochen

Re: [lang] To Java 7

Emmanuel Bourg-3
Le 23/10/2016 à 09:30, Gary Gregory a écrit :

> Thoughts?

If this means doing only trivial internal code changes with no benefit
to the end users then I don't think it's worth it. I would either stick
to Java 6 or go to Java 8 and offer some real new stuff.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [lang] To Java 7

Matt Sicker
Keeping open a maintenance branch for 3.5 sounds like a good idea. If it
really does end up taking over a year before a 3.6 release needs to be
made, then Java 6 may be a moot point by then. Either way, it sounds like
migrating to Java 7 for a 3.6 release isn't a bad idea unless it turns out
there are no useful API additions that can be made without jumping to Java
8.

On 24 October 2016 at 08:35, Emmanuel Bourg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 23/10/2016 à 09:30, Gary Gregory a écrit :
>
> > Thoughts?
>
> If this means doing only trivial internal code changes with no benefit
> to the end users then I don't think it's worth it. I would either stick
> to Java 6 or go to Java 8 and offer some real new stuff.
>
> Emmanuel Bourg

Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: [lang] To Java 7

Stian Soiland-Reyes
I don't think we need to keep arguing this, when we discussed this
last time we said we'll do an intermediate Java 7-version - if there
are too many screams (I suspect almost none) then we can be more
careful before moving to Java 8 afterwards, which would give the
biggest benefit (and need more help from Lang).

In a way Java 7 will mainly just give us style benefits and a couple
of code simplifications, which is important to make Commons Lang's
code more inviting for new contributors.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718