[lang] preparing for 3.8

Rob Tompkins
Hello all,

I’m planning on working on 3.8 for lang later this week. Does anyone want to get any specific jira's in? I think that I can quickly button up LANG-1408 (selfishly want to get that in).

Cheers,
-Rob

Re: [lang] preparing for 3.8

garydgregory
Go for it! :-)

Gary

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018, 18:36 Rob Tompkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I’m planning on working on 3.8 for lang later this week. Does anyone want
> to get any specific jira's in? I think that I can quickly button up
> LANG-1408 (selfishly want to get that in).
>
> Cheers,
> -Rob

Re: [lang] preparing for 3.8

Pascal Schumacher
Yes, a new lang release would be great. :-)

Thanks,
Pascal

Am 14.08.2018 um 03:31 schrieb Gary Gregory:

> Go for it! :-)
>
> Gary
>
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2018, 18:36 Rob Tompkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I’m planning on working on 3.8 for lang later this week. Does anyone want
>> to get any specific jira's in? I think that I can quickly button up
>> LANG-1408 (selfishly want to get that in).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -Rob

Re: [lang] preparing for 3.8

Bruno P. Kinoshita-3
Hi Rob!

Thanks for RM'ing lang 3.8!

I think it would be good to fix for LANG-1339, as we get closer to supporting Java 9 someday...

I believe the summary from the last comments in the discussion in the mailing list is that looks like Observable/Observable won't be removed from the JDK, but marked as deprecated and not maintained. We can't just copy the JVM code into our codebase (even if internal). And java.util.concurrent provides the building blocks for the DIY observer/observable pattern.

Alas, it could take a while until we had a proper replacement for the observable/observer. So maybe we could discuss merging the pull request, and adding the deprecated note for existing circuit breakers? The cons of this solution, is that the new circuit breakers would rely on code being marked as deprecated in JDK 9 I think :/ (unless someday we got a proper replacement in something like Java 12, 13, ...)

But I wouldn't want to block the release if it appears it'd take too long to fix it. WDYT?

Cheers
Bruno

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LANG-1339

https://github.com/apache/commons-lang/pull/275
________________________________
I’m planning on working on 3.8 for lang later this week. Does anyone want to get any specific jira's in? I think that I can quickly button up LANG-1408 (selfishly want to get that in).

Cheers,

-Rob

Re: [lang] preparing for 3.8

Gilles Sadowski
Hi.

On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 11:13:48 +0000 (UTC), Bruno P. Kinoshita wrote:

> Hi Rob!
>
> Thanks for RM'ing lang 3.8!
>

> I think it would be good to fix for LANG-1339, as we get closer to
> supporting Java 9 someday...
>
> I believe the summary from the last comments in the discussion in the
> mailing list is that looks like Observable/Observable won't be
> removed
> from the JDK, but marked as deprecated and not maintained. We can't
> just copy the JVM code into our codebase (even if internal). And
> java.util.concurrent provides the building blocks for the DIY
> observer/observable pattern.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Observer/Observable can be trivially
implemented within the library.
In the "observable" class, define
  * an inner interface "Observer" that declares method
      public void update(CircuitBreaker);
  * a field "observers" (of type "List<Observer>"),
  * a method "registerObserver(Observer)" that populates the list,
  * a method "notifyObservers":
      private void notifyObservers() {
         for (Observer obs : observers) {
             obs.update(this);

> Alas, it could take a while until we had a proper replacement for the
> observable/observer. So maybe we could discuss merging the pull
> request, and adding the deprecated note for existing circuit
> breakers?
> The cons of this solution, is that the new circuit breakers would
> rely
> on code being marked as deprecated in JDK 9 I think :/ (unless
> someday
> we got a proper replacement in something like Java 12, 13, ...)
>

> But I wouldn't want to block the release if it appears it'd take too
> long to fix it. WDYT?
>
> Cheers
> Bruno
>

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LANG-1339
>
> https://github.com/apache/commons-lang/pull/275
> ________________________________

Re: [lang] preparing for 3.8

Bruno P. Kinoshita-3
Hi Gilles,

The parts that I think would take a bit more of time would be making sure it is thread safe and to write the unit tests, send a pull request, and get some reviews to make sure it doesn't have any design flaws that would require deprecating these classes yet again.

Bruno

On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 11:13:48 +0000 (UTC), Bruno P. Kinoshita wrote:

> Hi Rob!
>
> Thanks for RM'ing lang 3.8!
>

> I think it would be good to fix for LANG-1339, as we get closer to
> supporting Java 9 someday...
>
> I believe the summary from the last comments in the discussion in the
> mailing list is that looks like Observable/Observable won't be
> removed
> from the JDK, but marked as deprecated and not maintained. We can't
> just copy the JVM code into our codebase (even if internal). And
> java.util.concurrent provides the building blocks for the DIY
> observer/observable pattern.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Observer/Observable can be trivially
implemented within the library.
In the "observable" class, define
  * an inner interface "Observer" that declares method
      public void update(CircuitBreaker);
  * a field "observers" (of type "List<Observer>"),
  * a method "registerObserver(Observer)" that populates the list,
  * a method "notifyObservers":
      private void notifyObservers() {
        for (Observer obs : observers) {
            obs.update(this);

> Alas, it could take a while until we had a proper replacement for the
> observable/observer. So maybe we could discuss merging the pull
> request, and adding the deprecated note for existing circuit
> breakers?
> The cons of this solution, is that the new circuit breakers would
> rely
> on code being marked as deprecated in JDK 9 I think :/ (unless
> someday
> we got a proper replacement in something like Java 12, 13, ...)
>

> But I wouldn't want to block the release if it appears it'd take too
> long to fix it. WDYT?
>
> Cheers
> Bruno
>

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LANG-1339
>
> https://github.com/apache/commons-lang/pull/275
> ________________________________

Re: [lang] preparing for 3.8

Not a blocker IMO. We can release 3.8 and work on this for 3.9.

Gary

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018, 05:13 Bruno P. Kinoshita
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Rob!
>
> Thanks for RM'ing lang 3.8!
>

> I think it would be good to fix for LANG-1339, as we get closer to
> supporting Java 9 someday...
>
> I believe the summary from the last comments in the discussion in the
> mailing list is that looks like Observable/Observable won't be removed from
> the JDK, but marked as deprecated and not maintained. We can't just copy
> the JVM code into our codebase (even if internal). And java.util.concurrent
> provides the building blocks for the DIY observer/observable pattern.
>
> Alas, it could take a while until we had a proper replacement for the
> observable/observer. So maybe we could discuss merging the pull request,
> and adding the deprecated note for existing circuit breakers? The cons of
> this solution, is that the new circuit breakers would rely on code being
> marked as deprecated in JDK 9 I think :/ (unless someday we got a proper
> replacement in something like Java 12, 13, ...)
>

> But I wouldn't want to block the release if it appears it'd take too long
> to fix it. WDYT?
>
> Cheers
> Bruno
>

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LANG-1339
>
> https://github.com/apache/commons-lang/pull/275
> ________________________________

Re: [lang] preparing for 3.8

Bruno P. Kinoshita-3
OK for me, RERO after all

Cheers
Bruno

________________________________

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Rob!
>
> Thanks for RM'ing lang 3.8!
>

> I think it would be good to fix for LANG-1339, as we get closer to
> supporting Java 9 someday...
>
> I believe the summary from the last comments in the discussion in the
> mailing list is that looks like Observable/Observable won't be removed from
> the JDK, but marked as deprecated and not maintained. We can't just copy
> the JVM code into our codebase (even if internal). And java.util.concurrent
> provides the building blocks for the DIY observer/observable pattern.
>
> Alas, it could take a while until we had a proper replacement for the
> observable/observer. So maybe we could discuss merging the pull request,
> and adding the deprecated note for existing circuit breakers? The cons of
> this solution, is that the new circuit breakers would rely on code being
> marked as deprecated in JDK 9 I think :/ (unless someday we got a proper
> replacement in something like Java 12, 13, ...)
>

> But I wouldn't want to block the release if it appears it'd take too long
> to fix it. WDYT?
>
> Cheers
> Bruno
>

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LANG-1339
>
> https://github.com/apache/commons-lang/pull/275
> ________________________________

Re: [lang] preparing for 3.8

On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 11:44:44 +0000 (UTC), Bruno P. Kinoshita wrote:
> Hi Gilles,
>
> The parts that I think would take a bit more of time would be making
> sure it is thread safe

The suggestion does not change anything on this issue wrt
an implementation using "java.util.Observable".

> and to write the unit tests,

Supposedly, the patch referred to in JIRA already contains
unit tests.

> send a pull
> request, and get some reviews to make sure it doesn't have any design
> flaws that would require deprecating these classes yet again.

The new API is the "Observer" interface which my suggestion
defines in reference to its usage in the patch (1 argument).

Gilles

> Bruno

Re: [lang] preparing for 3.8

Pascal Schumacher
Am 14.08.2018 um 14:15 schrieb Gary Gregory:
> Not a blocker IMO. We can release 3.8 and work on this for 3.9.

Re: [lang] preparing for 3.8

> On Aug 14, 2018, at 7:13 AM, Bruno P. Kinoshita <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Rob!
>
> Thanks for RM'ing lang 3.8!
>

> I think it would be good to fix for LANG-1339, as we get closer to supporting Java 9 someday...
>
> I believe the summary from the last comments in the discussion in the mailing list is that looks like Observable/Observable won't be removed from the JDK, but marked as deprecated and not maintained. We can't just copy the JVM code into our codebase (even if internal). And java.util.concurrent provides the building blocks for the DIY observer/observable pattern.
>
> Alas, it could take a while until we had a proper replacement for the observable/observer. So maybe we could discuss merging the pull request, and adding the deprecated note for existing circuit breakers? The cons of this solution, is that the new circuit breakers would rely on code being marked as deprecated in JDK 9 I think :/ (unless someday we got a proper replacement in something like Java 12, 13, ...)
>

> But I wouldn't want to block the release if it appears it'd take too long to fix it. WDYT?

With the new plugin rolling releases is at least a little easier, so if you want to do 3.9 in a month even, I’d be happy to.

-Rob

> Cheers
> Bruno
>

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LANG-1339
>
> https://github.com/apache/commons-lang/pull/275

Re: [lang] preparing for 3.8

Bruno P. Kinoshita-3
Sounds good to me. I feel like trying RM'ing some myself once I find time, just to play with this new release plug-in and compare with what we had to do before (which would be a great post for blogs.apache.org btw)!
ThanksBruno