[lang3] Problem with the OSGi metadata: Bundle-SymbolicName / breaking change between 3.7 and 3.8

[lang3] Problem with the OSGi metadata: Bundle-SymbolicName / breaking change between 3.7 and 3.8

P. Ottlinger
Hi,

I've just stumbled upon a problem that prevents me from updating from
3.7 to 3.8 in an OSGi context.

Although the release has just been a patch one, the bundle's symbolic
name changed
from "Bundle-SymbolicName org.apache.commons.lang3" in 3.7.0
to "Bundle-SymbolicName org.apache.commons.commons-lang3" in 3.8.0.

That makes it impossible to do a drop-in update, as it is a breaking change.

Is that change an error in 3.8.0 or a wanted one that could be
communicated more directly to downstream users?

May I file a bugticket in the LANG-Jira for it? I assume there has been
a hickup when building the OSGi release JAR and the change was not intended.

Thanks,
Phil

Re: [lang3] Problem with the OSGi metadata: Bundle-SymbolicName / breaking change between 3.7 and 3.8

Oliver Heger-3
Hi Phil,

as you already assume, this change in the OSGi meta data was caused by
changes in the build process and not intended.

So opening a ticket in Jira would be the correct action to take.

Thank you for reporting!
Oliver

Am 06.09.2018 um 20:49 schrieb P. Ottlinger:

> Hi,
>
> I've just stumbled upon a problem that prevents me from updating from
> 3.7 to 3.8 in an OSGi context.
>
> Although the release has just been a patch one, the bundle's symbolic
> name changed
> from "Bundle-SymbolicName org.apache.commons.lang3" in 3.7.0
> to "Bundle-SymbolicName org.apache.commons.commons-lang3" in 3.8.0.
>
> That makes it impossible to do a drop-in update, as it is a breaking change.
>
> Is that change an error in 3.8.0 or a wanted one that could be
> communicated more directly to downstream users?
>
> May I file a bugticket in the LANG-Jira for it? I assume there has been
> a hickup when building the OSGi release JAR and the change was not intended.
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

Re: [lang3] Problem with the OSGi metadata: Bundle-SymbolicName / breaking change between 3.7 and 3.8

P. Ottlinger
Hi,

thanks for quick response ...

Am 06.09.2018 um 21:24 schrieb Oliver Heger:
> So opening a ticket in Jira would be the correct action to take.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LANG-1419

Done :-) Hopefully I didn't miss any important stuff in Jira.

Cheers,
Phil