[logging] JCL 1.1 FC available for final checks

[logging] JCL 1.1 FC available for final checks

robert burrell donkin
i've uploaded JCL1.1FC to
http://people.apache.org/~rdonkin/commons-logging/. it's not yet
available through the distributions and it will be a day or two before
the mirrors sync and i issue the official announcement.

so, please check that i have made no errors in cutting the candidate
(ideally by dropping the jar in as a replacement for a RC or 1.0.4) and
report back promptly if i have made any mistakes whilst cutting the
distribution.

thanks for everyone's hard work in getting this release out :)

- robert

Re: [logging] JCL 1.1 FC available for final checks

Wendy Smoak
On 5/9/06, robert burrell donkin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> so, please check that i have made no errors in cutting the candidate
> (ideally by dropping the jar in as a replacement for a RC or 1.0.4) and
> report back promptly if i have made any mistakes whilst cutting the
> distribution.

The Log4jFactory class appears to be missing.  I took an app that's
working with commons-logging 1.0.4 and Tomcat 5.5.17, and made only
this change:

             <dependency>
                 <groupId>commons-logging</groupId>
-                <version>1.0.4</version>
+                <version>1.1</version>
             </dependency>

(I installed the jar with 'mvn install:install-file' and had it
generate a pom since commons-logging has no required dependencies.
(right?))

I get the following error:

INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/5.5.17
May 9, 2006 4:08:12 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost start
INFO: XML validation disabled
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:294)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:432)
Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4jFactory (Caused by
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4jFactory)
        at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory$2.run(LogFactory.java:579)

I looked in commons-logging-1.1.jar, commons-logging-api-1.1.jar and
commons-logging-adapters-1.1.jar, and I don't see the Log4jFactory
class.

--
Wendy

On 5/9/06, Wendy Smoak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Log4jFactory class appears to be missing.

Never mind, it's in the release notes.  Sorry, I expected 1.1 to be a
drop-in replacement and was surprised by the error.

I don't recall any deprecation warnings, though.  I've had this in
commons-logging.properties for as long as I can remember:
   org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4jFactory

Off to read the documentation for 1.0.4 to see what I missed. :)

--
Wendy

Re: [logging] JCL 1.1 FC available for final checks

Simon Kitching
On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 17:44 -0700, Wendy Smoak wrote:

> On 5/9/06, Wendy Smoak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > The Log4jFactory class appears to be missing.
>
> Never mind, it's in the release notes.  Sorry, I expected 1.1 to be a
> drop-in replacement and was surprised by the error.
>
> I don't recall any deprecation warnings, though.  I've had this in
> commons-logging.properties for as long as I can remember:
>    org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4jFactory
>
> Off to read the documentation for 1.0.4 to see what I missed. :)

The deprecation info is indeed in the release notes, starting with the
1.0.3 release (April 2003). Three years seems a reasonable phase-out
period.

Regards,

Simon

Re: [logging] JCL 1.1 FC available for final checks

Dennis Lundberg-2
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> i've uploaded JCL1.1FC to
> http://people.apache.org/~rdonkin/commons-logging/. it's not yet
> available through the distributions and it will be a day or two before
> the mirrors sync and i issue the official announcement.

Robert, I have been unable to do a download earlier because of the
problems with minotaur. Now that it has been brought back online again,
the directory mentioned above is empty. Have you removed the files or
does this have something to do with the downtime of minotaur?

<snip>

--
Dennis Lundberg

On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 20:18 +0200, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > i've uploaded JCL1.1FC to
> > http://people.apache.org/~rdonkin/commons-logging/. it's not yet
> > available through the distributions and it will be a day or two before
> > the mirrors sync and i issue the official announcement.
>
> Robert, I have been unable to do a download earlier because of the
> problems with minotaur. Now that it has been brought back online again,
> the directory mentioned above is empty. Have you removed the files or
> does this have something to do with the downtime of minotaur?

minotaur is now back up but i deleted the files yesterday. they are now
in their final locations. once the mirrors have sync'd i'll be making
the announcement (so if there are any problems it's too late to address
with 1.1).

- robert

Re: [logging] JCL 1.1 FC available for final checks

Dennis Lundberg-2
robert burrell donkin wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 20:18 +0200, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>> robert burrell donkin wrote:
>>> i've uploaded JCL1.1FC to
>>> http://people.apache.org/~rdonkin/commons-logging/. it's not yet
>>> available through the distributions and it will be a day or two before
>>> the mirrors sync and i issue the official announcement.
>> Robert, I have been unable to do a download earlier because of the
>> problems with minotaur. Now that it has been brought back online again,
>> the directory mentioned above is empty. Have you removed the files or
>> does this have something to do with the downtime of minotaur?
>
> minotaur is now back up but i deleted the files yesterday. they are now
> in their final locations. once the mirrors have sync'd i'll be making
> the announcement (so if there are any problems it's too late to address
> with 1.1).

OK, I just checked my local mirror and the one on www.apache.org and on
both it seems that the "README.html" file used by the httpd module
mod_autoindex is wrong. Its heading says "Commons-Logging v1.1.1". Can
someone fix that? I don't know if I have the rights to do it myself.

--
Dennis Lundberg

On Sun, 2006-05-14 at 11:10 +0200, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 20:18 +0200, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> >> robert burrell donkin wrote:

<snip>

> > minotaur is now back up but i deleted the files yesterday. they are now
> > in their final locations. once the mirrors have sync'd i'll be making
> > the announcement (so if there are any problems it's too late to address
> > with 1.1).
>
> OK, I just checked my local mirror and the one on www.apache.org and on
> both it seems that the "README.html" file used by the httpd module
> mod_autoindex is wrong. Its heading says "Commons-Logging v1.1.1".

good spot 8-)

> Can someone fix that?

fixed

AIUI the site is currently being hosted on ajax so it will take a while
to sync

> I don't know if I have the rights to do it myself.

you have karma but it's best for the release manager to make changes to
the distribution directory...

- robert