[math] MATH-1486 and release 3.6.2

jodastephen
I've raised a GitHub PR [1] to add the Java 9 module name to [math] on
the MATH_3_X branch. Assuming that is merged, I'm willing to raise
another PR with the necessary bits to prepare the repo to release
v3.6.2.

This approach sidesteps all issues with commons-4 and does the minimum
necessary for downstream users to use the project as a module in Java
9 onwards. (At my day job we produce open source that depends on
commons-math, which means I can't add a module-info.java until
commons-math has a module name.)

While I'm technically still a commons committer, I think it would be
highly innappropriate for me to try and shepherd the actual v3.6.2
release. Is anyone willing to work with me to do the release? A v3.6.2
release would contain just the module name change and one performance
improvement that was added to the repo in 2016, so it should be a case
of cranking the handle providing not too much has changed in the
process since 2016.

thanks
Stephen
[1] https://github.com/apache/commons-math/pull/107

Re: [math] MATH-1486 and release 3.6.2

Gilles Sadowski-2
Hello.

Le jeu. 6 juin 2019 à 18:14, Stephen Colebourne <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> I've raised a GitHub PR [1] to add the Java 9 module name to [math] on
> the MATH_3_X branch. Assuming that is merged, I'm willing to raise
> another PR with the necessary bits to prepare the repo to release
> v3.6.2.
>
> This approach sidesteps all issues with commons-4 and does the minimum
> necessary for downstream users to use the project as a module in Java
> 9 onwards. (At my day job we produce open source that depends on
> commons-math, which means I can't add a module-info.java until
> commons-math has a module name.)
>
> While I'm technically still a commons committer, I think it would be
> highly innappropriate for me to try and shepherd the actual v3.6.2
> release. Is anyone willing to work with me to do the release? A v3.6.2
> release would contain just the module name change and one performance
> improvement that was added to the repo in 2016, so it should be a case
> of cranking the handle providing not too much has changed in the
> process since 2016.

I was about to merge the PR but, on my machine, the build fails.
Did you try?

Back then (pre-fork), I was in favour of maintaining both lines (3.X
and 4.X); but the 3.X branch has not been maintained for more than
3 years, and it shows.  Now (post-fork), my opinion is that the effort
would be better placed in getting the new dependencies of the
development version of Commons Math released, and release CM
4.0 thereafter.

On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 at 23:21, Gilles Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was about to merge the PR but, on my machine, the build fails.
> Did you try?

`mvn clean verify` works for me (maven running on Java 7 and on Java 8).

> Back then (pre-fork), I was in favour of maintaining both lines (3.X
> and 4.X); but the 3.X branch has not been maintained for more than
> 3 years, and it shows.  Now (post-fork), my opinion is that the effort
> would be better placed in getting the new dependencies of the
> development version of Commons Math released, and release CM
> 4.0 thereafter.

Its great that there is a plan to move forward. But that doesn't solve
the key issue here. Commons-Math 3 is used by over 2300 open source
repos on GitHub [1]. Of course not all are significant projects, but
some are. While some of those projects may be able to move to
Commons-Math 4 when it completes, others will not be able to (because
of their own compatibility constraints). And some of those projects
may want/need to use Java 9 modules, but can't because Commons-Math 3
doesn't have a module name. I'm trying to provide a minimum effort way
for you or another release manager to satisfy that need. I'm very
definitely NOT trying to fix bugs or maintain the branch - in fact my
proposed approach is closer to a security patch in scope.

Stephen

[1] https://github.com/apache/commons-math/network/dependents

Le ven. 7 juin 2019 à 11:54, Stephen Colebourne <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 at 23:21, Gilles Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I was about to merge the PR but, on my machine, the build fails.
> > Did you try?
>
> `mvn clean verify` works for me (maven running on Java 7 and on Java 8).

It doesn't for me:
$ ANT_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/ mvn clean verify
[... skipped...]
[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:3.3:compile
(default-compile) on project commons-math3: Compilation failure:
Compilation failure:
[ERROR] Source option 5 is no longer supported. Use 6 or later.
[ERROR] Target option 1.5 is no longer supported. Use 1.6 or later.

That one is easy to fix, but when done, there is another error.
I'm no maven expert...

[We could set up a build on Jenkins.]

> > Back then (pre-fork), I was in favour of maintaining both lines (3.X
> > and 4.X); but the 3.X branch has not been maintained for more than
> > 3 years, and it shows.  Now (post-fork), my opinion is that the effort
> > would be better placed in getting the new dependencies of the
> > development version of Commons Math released, and release CM
> > 4.0 thereafter.
>
> Its great that there is a plan to move forward. But that doesn't solve
> the key issue here. Commons-Math 3 is used by over 2300 open source
> repos on GitHub [1]. Of course not all are significant projects, but
> some are. While some of those projects may be able to move to
> Commons-Math 4 when it completes, others will not be able to (because
> of their own compatibility constraints). And some of those projects
> may want/need to use Java 9 modules, but can't because Commons-Math 3
> doesn't have a module name. I'm trying to provide a minimum effort way
> for you or another release manager to satisfy that need. I'm very
> definitely NOT trying to fix bugs or maintain the branch - in fact my
> proposed approach is closer to a security patch in scope.

It's how I had understood it, and you are most welcome to
drive such a maintenance/security release.
If the build process works on your machine, you are a better
RM candidate. ;-)

> Stephen
>
> [1] https://github.com/apache/commons-math/network/dependents

Re: [math] MATH-1486 and release 3.6.2

Alex Herbert

On 07/06/2019 15:16, Gilles Sadowski wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Le ven. 7 juin 2019 à 11:54, Stephen Colebourne <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>> On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 at 23:21, Gilles Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I was about to merge the PR but, on my machine, the build fails.
>>> Did you try?
>> `mvn clean verify` works for me (maven running on Java 7 and on Java 8).
> It doesn't for me:
> $ ANT_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/ mvn clean verify
> [... skipped...]
> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:3.3:compile
> (default-compile) on project commons-math3: Compilation failure:
> Compilation failure:
> [ERROR] Source option 5 is no longer supported. Use 6 or later.
> [ERROR] Target option 1.5 is no longer supported. Use 1.6 or later.
>
> That one is easy to fix, but when done, there is another error.
> I'm no maven expert...
>
> [We could set up a build on Jenkins.]

Maybe there is something strange in your set-up Gilles.

I've just run through the default GitHub merge instructions and the
build works on two of my machines:

git checkout MATH_3_X
git checkout -b jodastephen-auto-module-name-MATH-1486 MATH_3_X
git pull https://github.com/jodastephen/commons-math.git auto-module-name-MATH-1486
mvn clean verify

This is fine on JDK 8 and 7:

mvn -v

Apache Maven 3.6.0 (97c98ec64a1fdfee7767ce5ffb20918da4f719f3; 2018-10-24T19:41:47+01:00)
Maven home: /usr/local/apache-maven-3.6.0
Java version: 1.8.0_212, vendor: Oracle Corporation, runtime: /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre
Default locale: en_GB, platform encoding: UTF-8
OS name: "linux", version: "4.4.0-148-generic", arch: "amd64", family: "unix"

mvn -v

Apache Maven 3.6.0 (97c98ec64a1fdfee7767ce5ffb20918da4f719f3; 2018-10-24T19:41:47+01:00)
Maven home: /usr/local/apache-maven-3.6.0
Java version: 1.7.0_201, vendor: Oracle Corporation, runtime: /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre
OS name: "linux", version: "3.13.0-91-generic", arch: "amd64", family: "unix"

>>> Back then (pre-fork), I was in favour of maintaining both lines (3.X
>>> and 4.X); but the 3.X branch has not been maintained for more than
>>> 3 years, and it shows.  Now (post-fork), my opinion is that the effort
>>> would be better placed in getting the new dependencies of the
>>> development version of Commons Math released, and release CM
>>> 4.0 thereafter.
>> Its great that there is a plan to move forward. But that doesn't solve
>> the key issue here. Commons-Math 3 is used by over 2300 open source
>> repos on GitHub [1]. Of course not all are significant projects, but
>> some are. While some of those projects may be able to move to
>> Commons-Math 4 when it completes, others will not be able to (because
>> of their own compatibility constraints). And some of those projects
>> may want/need to use Java 9 modules, but can't because Commons-Math 3
>> doesn't have a module name. I'm trying to provide a minimum effort way
>> for you or another release manager to satisfy that need. I'm very
>> definitely NOT trying to fix bugs or maintain the branch - in fact my
>> proposed approach is closer to a security patch in scope.
> It's how I had understood it, and you are most welcome to
> drive such a maintenance/security release.
> If the build process works on your machine, you are a better
> RM candidate. ;-)

>> Stephen
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/apache/commons-math/network/dependents

Re: [math] MATH-1486 and release 3.6.2

Bernd Eckenfels
Gilles, did you meant to use JAVA_HOME not ANT_HOME? Maybe you have been building with Java9+?

Gruss
Bernd

--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net

________________________________

On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 at 15:16, Gilles Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> drive such a maintenance/security release.
> If the build process works on your machine, you are a better
> RM candidate. ;-)

Given I haven't committed to commons for 10+ years (at a guess), I'm
not a PMC member and probably don't have permission to push anymore, I
don't see how it is realistic for me to be RM.
Stephen

Le ven. 7 juin 2019 à 17:21, Stephen Colebourne <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 at 15:16, Gilles Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > drive such a maintenance/security release.
> > If the build process works on your machine, you are a better
> > RM candidate. ;-)
>
> Given I haven't committed to commons for 10+ years (at a guess),

An opportunity to break the spell. ;-)

> I'm
> not a PMC member

Not necessary.

https://people.apache.org/phonebook.html?uid=scolebourne

> don't see how it is realistic for me to be RM.

How about just try first?

> Stephen

Re: [math] MATH-1486 and release 3.6.2

Gilles Sadowski-2
Hi.

Le ven. 7 juin 2019 à 17:05, Bernd Eckenfels <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Gilles, did you meant to use JAVA_HOME not ANT_HOME?

Yes, my mistake indeed; sorry.

> Maybe you have been building with Java9+?

> Gruss
> Bernd
>
> --
> http://bernd.eckenfels.net

Done:
    https://builds.apache.org/job/commons-math-unsupported

But the build fails due to an error during Javadoc generation:
    https://builds.apache.org/job/commons-math-unsupported/6/console

>>> [...]