[math] Name of the new TLP

Phil Steitz
We need to agree on a name.  My own preference is for a boring,
descriptive name, but I am manifestly not a marketing guy, so won't
be offended if others want to be more creative.

My suggestion is

MathComponents

Hearkens back to HttpComponents, which has worked pretty well.

Phil

Re: [math] Name of the new TLP

James Carman
I guess it depends on the scope of what the new TLP is going to do.
Umbrella projects aren't that popular these days, from what I understand.
Maybe an homage to a famous mathematician? Apache Newton? Apache Euler?
Apache Euclid?

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 4:08 PM Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We need to agree on a name.  My own preference is for a boring,
> descriptive name, but I am manifestly not a marketing guy, so won't
> be offended if others want to be more creative.
>
> My suggestion is
>
> MathComponents
>
> Hearkens back to HttpComponents, which has worked pretty well.
>
> Phil

Re: [math] Name of the new TLP

James Carman
Maybe Apache Gauss?
On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 4:16 PM James Carman <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I guess it depends on the scope of what the new TLP is going to do.
> Umbrella projects aren't that popular these days, from what I understand.
> Maybe an homage to a famous mathematician? Apache Newton? Apache Euler?
> Apache Euclid?
>
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 4:08 PM Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> We need to agree on a name.  My own preference is for a boring,
>> descriptive name, but I am manifestly not a marketing guy, so won't
>> be offended if others want to be more creative.
>>
>> My suggestion is
>>
>> MathComponents
>>
>> Hearkens back to HttpComponents, which has worked pretty well.
>>
>> Phil

Re: [math] Name of the new TLP

On Jan 24, 2016 1:08 PM, "Phil Steitz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We need to agree on a name.  My own preference is for a boring,
> descriptive name, but I am manifestly not a marketing guy, so won't
> be offended if others want to be more creative.
>
> My suggestion is
>
> MathComponents
>
> Hearkens back to HttpComponents, which has worked pretty well.

Simple and to the point, I like it!

> Phil

Re: [math] Name of the new TLP

Phil Steitz
On 1/24/16 2:16 PM, James Carman wrote:
> I guess it depends on the scope of what the new TLP is going to do.

This is slightly jumping the gun, as we do have the opportunity in
forming the new TLP to revisit the initial goals of [math]; but I
suspect that initially at least we will mostly continue to be a
general-purpose Java math library, trying to provide IP-clean,
easily integrated, standard algorithm-based solutions to common math
programming problems.  We have grown to the point where we will
almost certainly break the distribution up into separate
"components."  No umbrella, but likely multiple release artifacts.
Similar in some ways to what happened with [http], which is why I
suggested the same approach to naming.

Regarding picking a mathematician for the name, I don't much like
that idea as whoever you choose, you end up loading some math area
and / or cultural bias into the name.

Phil

> Umbrella projects aren't that popular these days, from what I understand.
> Maybe an homage to a famous mathematician? Apache Newton? Apache Euler?
> Apache Euclid?
>
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 4:08 PM Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> We need to agree on a name.  My own preference is for a boring,
>> descriptive name, but I am manifestly not a marketing guy, so won't
>> be offended if others want to be more creative.
>>
>> My suggestion is
>>
>> MathComponents
>>
>> Hearkens back to HttpComponents, which has worked pretty well.
>>
>> Phil

Re: [math] Name of the new TLP

garydgregory
On Jan 24, 2016 1:46 PM, "Phil Steitz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/24/16 2:16 PM, James Carman wrote:
> > I guess it depends on the scope of what the new TLP is going to do.
>
> This is slightly jumping the gun, as we do have the opportunity in
> forming the new TLP to revisit the initial goals of [math]; but I
> suspect that initially at least we will mostly continue to be a
> general-purpose Java math library, trying to provide IP-clean,
> easily integrated, standard algorithm-based solutions to common math
> programming problems.  We have grown to the point where we will
> almost certainly break the distribution up into separate
> "components."  No umbrella, but likely multiple release artifacts.
> Similar in some ways to what happened with [http], which is why I
> suggested the same approach to naming.
>
> Regarding picking a mathematician for the name, I don't much like
> that idea as whoever you choose, you end up loading some math area
> and / or cultural bias into the name.

+1

Cute names end up being a hindrance IMO. How much clearer is "Apache
Commmons Imaging" that Sanselan (which I was never sure how to spell)?

Gary

wrote:

> >> We need to agree on a name.  My own preference is for a boring,
> >> descriptive name, but I am manifestly not a marketing guy, so won't
> >> be offended if others want to be more creative.
> >>
> >> My suggestion is
> >>
> >> MathComponents
> >>
> >> Hearkens back to HttpComponents, which has worked pretty well.
> >>
> >> Phil

Re: [math] Name of the new TLP

Hasan Diwan
If we are to choose a famous person's name, why not a famous native
American mathematician? I'm not aware of any, but it would be keeping with
the traditions of Apache, being a native American tribe, Geronimo being a
native American chief, as well as a few others. -- H

On 24 January 2016 at 13:51, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2016 1:46 PM, "Phil Steitz" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 1/24/16 2:16 PM, James Carman wrote:
> > > I guess it depends on the scope of what the new TLP is going to do.
> >
> > This is slightly jumping the gun, as we do have the opportunity in
> > forming the new TLP to revisit the initial goals of [math]; but I
> > suspect that initially at least we will mostly continue to be a
> > general-purpose Java math library, trying to provide IP-clean,
> > easily integrated, standard algorithm-based solutions to common math
> > programming problems.  We have grown to the point where we will
> > almost certainly break the distribution up into separate
> > "components."  No umbrella, but likely multiple release artifacts.
> > Similar in some ways to what happened with [http], which is why I
> > suggested the same approach to naming.
> >
> > Regarding picking a mathematician for the name, I don't much like
> > that idea as whoever you choose, you end up loading some math area
> > and / or cultural bias into the name.
>
> +1
>
> Cute names end up being a hindrance IMO. How much clearer is "Apache
> Commmons Imaging" that Sanselan (which I was never sure how to spell)?
>
> Gary
>

> > Phil
> > > Umbrella projects aren't that popular these days, from what I
> understand.
> > > Maybe an homage to a famous mathematician? Apache Newton? Apache Euler?
> > > Apache Euclid?

Re: [math] Name of the new TLP

James Carman
I googled that but didn't find anything compelling. I love the idea.

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 4:54 PM Hasan Diwan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If we are to choose a famous person's name, why not a famous native
> American mathematician? I'm not aware of any, but it would be keeping with
> the traditions of Apache, being a native American tribe, Geronimo being a
> native American chief, as well as a few others. -- H
>
> On 24 January 2016 at 13:51, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > This is slightly jumping the gun, as we do have the opportunity in
> > > forming the new TLP to revisit the initial goals of [math]; but I
> > > suspect that initially at least we will mostly continue to be a
> > > general-purpose Java math library, trying to provide IP-clean,
> > > easily integrated, standard algorithm-based solutions to common math
> > > programming problems.  We have grown to the point where we will
> > > almost certainly break the distribution up into separate
> > > "components."  No umbrella, but likely multiple release artifacts.
> > > Similar in some ways to what happened with [http], which is why I
> > > suggested the same approach to naming.
> > >
> > > Regarding picking a mathematician for the name, I don't much like
> > > that idea as whoever you choose, you end up loading some math area
> > > and / or cultural bias into the name.
> >
> > +1
> >
> > Cute names end up being a hindrance IMO. How much clearer is "Apache
> > Commmons Imaging" that Sanselan (which I was never sure how to spell)?
> >
> > Gary
> >

> > > Phil
> > understand.
> Euler?

> Sent from my mobile device
> Envoyé de mon portable

Re: [math] Name of the new TLP

Just plain and simple "Apache Math" maybe?
Or is it taken already?

Gilles

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 14:46:17 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:

> On 1/24/16 2:16 PM, James Carman wrote:
>> I guess it depends on the scope of what the new TLP is going to do.
>
> This is slightly jumping the gun, as we do have the opportunity in
> forming the new TLP to revisit the initial goals of [math]; but I
> suspect that initially at least we will mostly continue to be a
> general-purpose Java math library, trying to provide IP-clean,
> easily integrated, standard algorithm-based solutions to common math
> programming problems.  We have grown to the point where we will
> almost certainly break the distribution up into separate
> "components."  No umbrella, but likely multiple release artifacts.
> Similar in some ways to what happened with [http], which is why I
> suggested the same approach to naming.
>
> Regarding picking a mathematician for the name, I don't much like
> that idea as whoever you choose, you end up loading some math area
> and / or cultural bias into the name.
>
> Phil
>> Umbrella projects aren't that popular these days, from what I
>> understand.
>> Maybe an homage to a famous mathematician? Apache Newton? Apache
>> Euler?
>> Apache Euclid?
>>
>> On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 4:08 PM Phil Steitz <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> We need to agree on a name.  My own preference is for a boring,
>>> descriptive name, but I am manifestly not a marketing guy, so won't
>>> be offended if others want to be more creative.
>>>
>>> My suggestion is
>>>
>>> MathComponents
>>>
>>> Hearkens back to HttpComponents, which has worked pretty well.
>>>
>>> Phil

Re: [math] Name of the new TLP

James Carman
I'm okay with that too. Apache Math

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 5:17 PM Gilles <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just plain and simple "Apache Math" maybe?
> Or is it taken already?
>
> Gilles
>
> On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 14:46:17 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
> > On 1/24/16 2:16 PM, James Carman wrote:
> >> I guess it depends on the scope of what the new TLP is going to do.
> >
> > This is slightly jumping the gun, as we do have the opportunity in
> > forming the new TLP to revisit the initial goals of [math]; but I
> > suspect that initially at least we will mostly continue to be a
> > general-purpose Java math library, trying to provide IP-clean,
> > easily integrated, standard algorithm-based solutions to common math
> > programming problems.  We have grown to the point where we will
> > almost certainly break the distribution up into separate
> > "components."  No umbrella, but likely multiple release artifacts.
> > Similar in some ways to what happened with [http], which is why I
> > suggested the same approach to naming.
> >
> > Regarding picking a mathematician for the name, I don't much like
> > that idea as whoever you choose, you end up loading some math area
> > and / or cultural bias into the name.
> >
> > Phil
> >> Umbrella projects aren't that popular these days, from what I
> >> understand.
> >> Maybe an homage to a famous mathematician? Apache Newton? Apache
> >> Euler?
> >> Apache Euclid?

Re: [math] Name of the new TLP

Phil Steitz

> On Jan 24, 2016, at 3:17 PM, Gilles <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Just plain and simple "Apache Math" maybe?
> Or is it taken already?

It's not taken; but I thought it was too broad-sounding and in fact umbrella-ish.  There are other ASF projects that do math-relates things.  I think adding "components" makes it look more like a library of base components that other math-related projects can use.

Phil

> Gilles
>
>> On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 14:46:17 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
>>> On 1/24/16 2:16 PM, James Carman wrote:
>>> I guess it depends on the scope of what the new TLP is going to do.
>>
>> This is slightly jumping the gun, as we do have the opportunity in
>> forming the new TLP to revisit the initial goals of [math]; but I
>> suspect that initially at least we will mostly continue to be a
>> general-purpose Java math library, trying to provide IP-clean,
>> easily integrated, standard algorithm-based solutions to common math
>> programming problems.  We have grown to the point where we will
>> almost certainly break the distribution up into separate
>> "components."  No umbrella, but likely multiple release artifacts.
>> Similar in some ways to what happened with [http], which is why I
>> suggested the same approach to naming.
>>
>> Regarding picking a mathematician for the name, I don't much like
>> that idea as whoever you choose, you end up loading some math area
>> and / or cultural bias into the name.
>>
>> Phil
>>> Umbrella projects aren't that popular these days, from what I understand.
>>> Maybe an homage to a famous mathematician? Apache Newton? Apache Euler?
>>> Apache Euclid?

Re: [math] Name of the new TLP

ole ersoy
I like Apache Math as well.

Cheers,
Ole

On 01/24/2016 04:18 PM, James Carman wrote:

> I'm okay with that too. Apache Math
>
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 5:17 PM Gilles <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Just plain and simple "Apache Math" maybe?
>> Or is it taken already?
>>
>> Gilles

>>> This is slightly jumping the gun, as we do have the opportunity in
>>> forming the new TLP to revisit the initial goals of [math]; but I
>>> suspect that initially at least we will mostly continue to be a
>>> general-purpose Java math library, trying to provide IP-clean,
>>> easily integrated, standard algorithm-based solutions to common math
>>> programming problems.  We have grown to the point where we will
>>> almost certainly break the distribution up into separate
>>> "components."  No umbrella, but likely multiple release artifacts.
>>> Similar in some ways to what happened with [http], which is why I
>>> suggested the same approach to naming.
>>>
>>> Regarding picking a mathematician for the name, I don't much like
>>> that idea as whoever you choose, you end up loading some math area
>>> and / or cultural bias into the name.
>>>
>>> Phil

Re: [math] Name of the new TLP

ole ersoy
Umbrella-ish is good.  Linear algebra, genetic algorithms, neural networks, clustering, monte carlo, simplex...These need an umbrella.  Some of the other Apache projects that do math may be interested in moving that piece under the Apache Math umbrella.

Personally I like to see each in a separate repository dedicated to the subject, along with the corresponding documentation, etc  So:
apache-math (Central repository describing the project as a whole with the documentation that cuts across modules)
apache-math-linear-real
apache-math-linear-field
apache-math-optimization-genetic
apache-math-optimization-simplex
etc.

And hopefully:
apache-math-optimization-integer
apache-math-optimization-mixed
And more..

Cheers,
Ole

On 01/24/2016 04:41 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:

>> On Jan 24, 2016, at 3:17 PM, Gilles <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Just plain and simple "Apache Math" maybe?
>> Or is it taken already?
> It's not taken; but I thought it was too broad-sounding and in fact umbrella-ish.  There are other ASF projects that do math-relates things.  I think adding "components" makes it look more like a library of base components that other math-related projects can use.
>
> Phil
>> Gilles

>>> This is slightly jumping the gun, as we do have the opportunity in
>>> forming the new TLP to revisit the initial goals of [math]; but I
>>> suspect that initially at least we will mostly continue to be a
>>> general-purpose Java math library, trying to provide IP-clean,
>>> easily integrated, standard algorithm-based solutions to common math
>>> programming problems.  We have grown to the point where we will
>>> almost certainly break the distribution up into separate
>>> "components."  No umbrella, but likely multiple release artifacts.
>>> Similar in some ways to what happened with [http], which is why I
>>> suggested the same approach to naming.
>>>
>>> Regarding picking a mathematician for the name, I don't much like
>>> that idea as whoever you choose, you end up loading some math area
>>> and / or cultural bias into the name.
>>>
>>> Phil

Re: [math] Name of the new TLP

I very much like the idea of taking the name of a famous mathematician.
If it has to be some thing more descriptive: Apache Commons HttpClient went
to Apache HttpComponents. How about Apache Math Components as TLP name?

> Umbrella-ish is good.  Linear algebra, genetic algorithms, neural
> networks, clustering, monte carlo, simplex...These need an umbrella.  Some
> of the other Apache projects that do math may be interested in moving that
> piece under the Apache Math umbrella.
>
> Personally I like to see each in a separate repository dedicated to the
> subject, along with the corresponding documentation, etc  So:
> apache-math (Central repository describing the project as a whole with the
> documentation that cuts across modules)
> apache-math-linear-real
> apache-math-linear-field
> apache-math-optimization-genetic
> apache-math-optimization-simplex
> etc.
>
> And hopefully:
> apache-math-optimization-integer
> apache-math-optimization-mixed
> And more..
>
> Cheers,
> Ole
>

> On 01/24/2016 04:41 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:
>

>> On Jan 24, 2016, at 3:17 PM, Gilles <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Just plain and simple "Apache Math" maybe?
>>> Or is it taken already?
>>>
>> It's not taken; but I thought it was too broad-sounding and in fact
>> umbrella-ish.  There are other ASF projects that do math-relates things.  I
>> think adding "components" makes it look more like a library of base
>> components that other math-related projects can use.
>>
>> Phil
>>
>>> Gilles

http://home.apache.org/~britter/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter

Re: [math] Name of the new TLP

Bertrand Delacretaz

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 10:08 PM, Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We need to agree on a name...

FWIW from the board's point of view, once that's done it's good to
create a https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH
ticket to document the name search. It's fine to use that jira project
even though you're not creating a podling.

-Bertrand

Re: [math] Name of the new TLP

Luc Maisonobe-2
Le 2016-01-25 08:52, Benedikt Ritter a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I very much like the idea of taking the name of a famous mathematician.
> If it has to be some thing more descriptive: Apache Commons HttpClient
> went
> to Apache HttpComponents. How about Apache Math Components as TLP name?
>
> Benedikt

>> Umbrella-ish is good.  Linear algebra, genetic algorithms, neural
>> networks, clustering, monte carlo, simplex...These need an umbrella.
>> Some
>> of the other Apache projects that do math may be interested in moving
>> that
>> piece under the Apache Math umbrella.
>>
>> Personally I like to see each in a separate repository dedicated to
>> the
>> subject, along with the corresponding documentation, etc  So:
>> apache-math (Central repository describing the project as a whole with
>> the
>> documentation that cuts across modules)
>> apache-math-linear-real
>> apache-math-linear-field
>> apache-math-optimization-genetic
>> apache-math-optimization-simplex
>> etc.
>>
>> And hopefully:
>> apache-math-optimization-integer
>> apache-math-optimization-mixed
>> And more..
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ole
>>

>> On 01/24/2016 04:41 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:

>>> It's not taken; but I thought it was too broad-sounding and in fact
>>> umbrella-ish.  There are other ASF projects that do math-relates
>>> things.  I
>>> think adding "components" makes it look more like a library of base
>>> components that other math-related projects can use.
>>>
>>> Phil

I would be happy with either Math Components or Math.
Also I do favor fancy acronyms that read exactly as well known
names (23 years ago, the name of my first mathematics library was
an acronym that read "Cantor"), it is probably not a good idea for
this new TLP.

In any case, the project will most probably be de facto an umbrella
project as modularizing it seems in the current mood.

best regards,
Luc

Re: [math] Name of the new TLP

sebb-2-2
On 25 January 2016 at 09:28, luc <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Le 2016-01-25 08:52, Benedikt Ritter a écrit :
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I very much like the idea of taking the name of a famous mathematician.

In which case it has to be

Euclid or Pythagoras (early)
or
Paul Erdős - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erd%C5%91s_number

and everyone has heard of
John Nash (Beautiful Mind)

etc.
In the spirit of recent discussions, how about a RNG to pick the
mathematician's name for each next incarnation?

;-)

>> If it has to be some thing more descriptive: Apache Commons HttpClient
>> went
>> to Apache HttpComponents. How about Apache Math Components as TLP name?

I quite like Apache Epsilon as a non-descriptive but related name.

[ducks behind bikshed]

>> Benedikt

>>> Umbrella-ish is good.  Linear algebra, genetic algorithms, neural
>>> networks, clustering, monte carlo, simplex...These need an umbrella.
>>> Some
>>> of the other Apache projects that do math may be interested in moving
>>> that
>>> piece under the Apache Math umbrella.
>>>
>>> Personally I like to see each in a separate repository dedicated to the
>>> subject, along with the corresponding documentation, etc  So:
>>> apache-math (Central repository describing the project as a whole with
>>> the
>>> documentation that cuts across modules)
>>> apache-math-linear-real
>>> apache-math-linear-field
>>> apache-math-optimization-genetic
>>> apache-math-optimization-simplex
>>> etc.
>>>
>>> And hopefully:
>>> apache-math-optimization-integer
>>> apache-math-optimization-mixed
>>> And more..
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Ole

> I would be happy with either Math Components or Math.
> Also I do favor fancy acronyms that read exactly as well known
> names (23 years ago, the name of my first mathematics library was
> an acronym that read "Cantor"), it is probably not a good idea for
> this new TLP.
>
> In any case, the project will most probably be de facto an umbrella
> project as modularizing it seems in the current mood.
>
> best regards,
> Luc

Re: [math] Name of the new TLP

James Carman
Epsilon is catchy
On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 6:41 AM sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 25 January 2016 at 09:28, luc <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Le 2016-01-25 08:52, Benedikt Ritter a écrit :
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I very much like the idea of taking the name of a famous mathematician.
>
> In which case it has to be
>
> Euclid or Pythagoras (early)
> or
> Paul Erdős - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erd%C5%91s_number
>
> and everyone has heard of
> John Nash (Beautiful Mind)
>
> etc.
> In the spirit of recent discussions, how about a RNG to pick the
> mathematician's name for each next incarnation?
>
> ;-)
>
> >> If it has to be some thing more descriptive: Apache Commons HttpClient
> >> went
> >> to Apache HttpComponents. How about Apache Math Components as TLP name?
>
> I quite like Apache Epsilon as a non-descriptive but related name.
>
> [ducks behind bikshed]
>

> >> Benedikt

> things.

> won't

> > I would be happy with either Math Components or Math.
> > Also I do favor fancy acronyms that read exactly as well known
> > names (23 years ago, the name of my first mathematics library was
> > an acronym that read "Cantor"), it is probably not a good idea for
> > this new TLP.
> >
> > In any case, the project will most probably be de facto an umbrella
> > project as modularizing it seems in the current mood.
> >
> > best regards,
> > Luc

Re: [math] Name of the new TLP

On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 11:40:48 +0000, sebb wrote:

> On 25 January 2016 at 09:28, luc <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Le 2016-01-25 08:52, Benedikt Ritter a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I very much like the idea of taking the name of a famous
>>> mathematician.
>
> In which case it has to be
>
> Euclid or Pythagoras (early)
> or
> Paul Erdős - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erd%C5%91s_number
>
> and everyone has heard of
> John Nash (Beautiful Mind)

I'd rather not have a person's name for the project; as was said
before, it will carry meaning that could be misleading.

> etc.
> In the spirit of recent discussions, how about a RNG to pick the
> mathematician's name for each next incarnation?
>
> ;-)

On the other hand, this is really a good idea for naming releases! :-)

>>> If it has to be some thing more descriptive: Apache Commons
>>> HttpClient
>>> went
>>> to Apache HttpComponents. How about Apache Math Components as TLP
>>> name?
>
> I quite like Apache Epsilon as a non-descriptive but related name.
>
> [ducks behind bikshed]

What about
  * MathBlocks
  * MathModules
  * modMath
  * AJaMa
?

The last one is short while fully descriptive:
   AJaMa
    is
the Apache JAva MAthematics library

>>> Benedikt

>> I would be happy with either Math Components or Math.
>> Also I do favor fancy acronyms that read exactly as well known
>> names (23 years ago, the name of my first mathematics library was
>> an acronym that read "Cantor"), it is probably not a good idea for
>> this new TLP.
>>
>> In any case, the project will most probably be de facto an umbrella
>> project as modularizing it seems in the current mood.
>>
>> best regards,
>> Luc

Re: [math] Name of the new TLP

Emmanuel Bourg-3
Le 25/01/2016 13:21, Gilles a écrit :

>  * AJaMa
> ?
>
> The last one is short while fully descriptive:
>   AJaMa
>    is
> the Apache JAva MAthematics library

This one will probably sound too similar with Jama, another math library:

http://math.nist.gov/javanumerics/jama/

Will the new TLP focus on Java libraries exclusively or will it be open
to implementations in other languages?

Emmanuel Bourg