[math] [POLL] new TLP name

Phil Steitz
Please select your top choice among the following suggested names
for the new [math]-based TLP.  All are welcome and encouraged to
respond.  This POLL will be open for 72 hours, at which time two
tallies will be presented:  one among those who have volunteered for
the new PMC and a second among all respondents.  Hopefully, one name
will emerge as consensus winner.  If not, I will kick off another
runoff poll among the top choices.   Please respond with your top
choice for the name.

AjaMa
Epsilon
Erdos
Euclid
Euler
Gauss
JAML
Math
MathBlocks
MathComponents (or Math Components)
Mathelactica
MathModules
Megginson
modMath
Nash
Newton
Pythagoras

Re: [math] [POLL] new TLP name

James Carman
Apache Math

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 12:06 PM Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please select your top choice among the following suggested names
> for the new [math]-based TLP.  All are welcome and encouraged to
> respond.  This POLL will be open for 72 hours, at which time two
> tallies will be presented:  one among those who have volunteered for
> the new PMC and a second among all respondents.  Hopefully, one name
> will emerge as consensus winner.  If not, I will kick off another
> runoff poll among the top choices.   Please respond with your top
> choice for the name.
>
> AjaMa
> Epsilon
> Erdos
> Euclid
> Euler
> Gauss
> JAML
> Math
> MathBlocks
> MathComponents (or Math Components)
> Mathelactica
> MathModules
> Megginson
> modMath
> Nash
> Newton
> Pythagoras

Re: [math] [POLL] new TLP name

Emmanuel Bourg-3
Apache Math

Le 1/02/2016 18:06, Phil Steitz a écrit :

> Please select your top choice among the following suggested names
> for the new [math]-based TLP.  All are welcome and encouraged to
> respond.  This POLL will be open for 72 hours, at which time two
> tallies will be presented:  one among those who have volunteered for
> the new PMC and a second among all respondents.  Hopefully, one name
> will emerge as consensus winner.  If not, I will kick off another
> runoff poll among the top choices.   Please respond with your top
> choice for the name.
>
> AjaMa
> Epsilon
> Erdos
> Euclid
> Euler
> Gauss
> JAML
> Math
> MathBlocks
> MathComponents (or Math Components)
> Mathelactica
> MathModules
> Megginson
> modMath
> Nash
> Newton
> Pythagoras

Re: [math] [POLL] new TLP name

norm-2
Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> writes:

>Please select your top choice among the following suggested names
>for the new [math]-based TLP.  All are welcome and encouraged to
>respond.  This POLL will be open for 72 hours, at which time two
>tallies will be presented:  one among those who have volunteered for
>the new PMC and a second among all respondents.  Hopefully, one name
>will emerge as consensus winner.  If not, I will kick off another
>runoff poll among the top choices.   Please respond with your top
>choice for the name.
>
>AjaMa
>Epsilon
>Erdos
>Euclid
>Euler
>Gauss
>JAML
>Math
>MathBlocks
>MathComponents (or Math Components)
>Mathelactica
>MathModules
>Megginson
>modMath
>Nash
>Newton
>Pythagoras

Math

    Norman Shapiro

Re: [math] [POLL] new TLP name

Apache Math

Gary

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 9:06 AM, Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please select your top choice among the following suggested names
> for the new [math]-based TLP.  All are welcome and encouraged to
> respond.  This POLL will be open for 72 hours, at which time two
> tallies will be presented:  one among those who have volunteered for
> the new PMC and a second among all respondents.  Hopefully, one name
> will emerge as consensus winner.  If not, I will kick off another
> runoff poll among the top choices.   Please respond with your top
> choice for the name.
>
> AjaMa
> Epsilon
> Erdos
> Euclid
> Euler
> Gauss
> JAML
> Math
> MathBlocks
> MathComponents (or Math Components)
> Mathelactica
> MathModules
> Megginson
> modMath
> Nash
> Newton
> Pythagoras

E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [math] [POLL] new TLP name

Luc Maisonobe-2
Le 01/02/2016 18:06, Phil Steitz a écrit :

> Please select your top choice among the following suggested names
> for the new [math]-based TLP.  All are welcome and encouraged to
> respond.  This POLL will be open for 72 hours, at which time two
> tallies will be presented:  one among those who have volunteered for
> the new PMC and a second among all respondents.  Hopefully, one name
> will emerge as consensus winner.  If not, I will kick off another
> runoff poll among the top choices.   Please respond with your top
> choice for the name.
>
> AjaMa
> Epsilon
> Erdos
> Euclid
> Euler
> Gauss
> JAML
> Math
> MathBlocks
> MathComponents (or Math Components)
> Mathelactica
> MathModules
> Megginson
> modMath
> Nash
> Newton
> Pythagoras

First choice:  Apache Epsilon
Second choice: Apache Math

Luc

Re: [math] [POLL] new TLP name

Bruno P. Kinoshita
Math

Bruno

Re: [math] [POLL] new TLP name

Evan Ward
I would prefer Apache Epsilon or Apache Math.

-Evan

On 02/01/2016 12:06 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:

> Please select your top choice among the following suggested names
> for the new [math]-based TLP.  All are welcome and encouraged to
> respond.  This POLL will be open for 72 hours, at which time two
> tallies will be presented:  one among those who have volunteered for
> the new PMC and a second among all respondents.  Hopefully, one name
> will emerge as consensus winner.  If not, I will kick off another
> runoff poll among the top choices.   Please respond with your top
> choice for the name.
>
> AjaMa
> Epsilon
> Erdos
> Euclid
> Euler
> Gauss
> JAML
> Math
> MathBlocks
> MathComponents (or Math Components)
> Mathelactica
> MathModules
> Megginson
> modMath
> Nash
> Newton
> Pythagoras

Re: [math] [POLL] new TLP name

On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 10:06:40 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
> Please select your top choice among the following suggested names
> for the new [math]-based TLP.  All are welcome and encouraged to
> respond.  This POLL will be open for 72 hours, at which time two
> tallies will be presented:  one among those who have volunteered for
> the new PMC and a second among all respondents.  Hopefully, one name
> will emerge as consensus winner.  If not, I will kick off another
> runoff poll among the top choices.   Please respond with your top
> choice for the name.

AjaMa

Re: [math] [POLL] new TLP name

Bruce Johnson
Apache Epsilon

> On Feb 1, 2016, at 12:06 PM, Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Please select your top choice among the following suggested names
> for the new [math]-based TLP.  All are welcome and encouraged to
> respond.  This POLL will be open for 72 hours, at which time two
> tallies will be presented:  one among those who have volunteered for
> the new PMC and a second among all respondents.  Hopefully, one name
> will emerge as consensus winner.  If not, I will kick off another
> runoff poll among the top choices.   Please respond with your top
> choice for the name.
>
> AjaMa
> Epsilon
> Erdos
> Euclid
> Euler
> Gauss
> JAML
> Math
> MathBlocks
> MathComponents (or Math Components)
> Mathelactica
> MathModules
> Megginson
> modMath
> Nash
> Newton
> Pythagoras

Re: [math] [POLL] new TLP name

ole ersoy
Apache Epsilon

On 02/01/2016 03:55 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

> Apache Epsilon
>

>> On Feb 1, 2016, at 12:06 PM, Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Please select your top choice among the following suggested names
>> for the new [math]-based TLP.  All are welcome and encouraged to
>> respond.  This POLL will be open for 72 hours, at which time two
>> tallies will be presented:  one among those who have volunteered for
>> the new PMC and a second among all respondents.  Hopefully, one name
>> will emerge as consensus winner.  If not, I will kick off another
>> runoff poll among the top choices.   Please respond with your top
>> choice for the name.
>>
>> AjaMa
>> Epsilon
>> Erdos
>> Euclid
>> Euler
>> Gauss
>> JAML
>> Math
>> MathBlocks
>> MathComponents (or Math Components)
>> Mathelactica
>> MathModules
>> Megginson
>> modMath
>> Nash
>> Newton
>> Pythagoras

Re: [math] [POLL] new TLP name

Otmar Ertl
Apache Math

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 11:42 PM, Ole Ersoy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Apache Epsilon
>

> On 02/01/2016 03:55 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:
>>
>> Apache Epsilon
>>

>>> On Feb 1, 2016, at 12:06 PM, Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Please select your top choice among the following suggested names
>>> for the new [math]-based TLP.  All are welcome and encouraged to
>>> respond.  This POLL will be open for 72 hours, at which time two
>>> tallies will be presented:  one among those who have volunteered for
>>> the new PMC and a second among all respondents.  Hopefully, one name
>>> will emerge as consensus winner.  If not, I will kick off another
>>> runoff poll among the top choices.   Please respond with your top
>>> choice for the name.
>>>
>>> AjaMa
>>> Epsilon
>>> Erdos
>>> Euclid
>>> Euler
>>> Gauss
>>> JAML
>>> Math
>>> MathBlocks
>>> MathComponents (or Math Components)
>>> Mathelactica
>>> MathModules
>>> Megginson
>>> modMath
>>> Nash
>>> Newton
>>> Pythagoras

Re: [math] [POLL] new TLP name

Christopher
Apache Math.

On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 12:30 AM, Otmar Ertl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Apache Math
>
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 11:42 PM, Ole Ersoy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Apache Epsilon
>>

>> On 02/01/2016 03:55 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:
>>>
>>> Apache Epsilon

Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii

Re: [math] [POLL] new TLP name

Damjan Jovanovic-2
Apache Math

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 7:06 PM, Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please select your top choice among the following suggested names
> for the new [math]-based TLP.  All are welcome and encouraged to
> respond.  This POLL will be open for 72 hours, at which time two
> tallies will be presented:  one among those who have volunteered for
> the new PMC and a second among all respondents.  Hopefully, one name
> will emerge as consensus winner.  If not, I will kick off another
> runoff poll among the top choices.   Please respond with your top
> choice for the name.
>
> AjaMa
> Epsilon
> Erdos
> Euclid
> Euler
> Gauss
> JAML
> Math
> MathBlocks
> MathComponents (or Math Components)
> Mathelactica
> MathModules
> Megginson
> modMath
> Nash
> Newton
> Pythagoras

[Math] Technical objection (Was: [math] [POLL] new TLP name)

On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 10:06:40 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:

> Please select your top choice among the following suggested names
> for the new [math]-based TLP.  All are welcome and encouraged to
> respond.  This POLL will be open for 72 hours, at which time two
> tallies will be presented:  one among those who have volunteered for
> the new PMC and a second among all respondents.  Hopefully, one name
> will emerge as consensus winner.  If not, I will kick off another
> runoff poll among the top choices.   Please respond with your top
> choice for the name.
>
> AjaMa
> Epsilon
> Erdos
> Euclid
> Euler
> Gauss
> JAML

This choice:

> Math

can potentially lead to legal and/or technical problems:
  * name of the JAR will basically be "math.jar", easily clashing
    with local toolboxes (also named without much imagination)
  * name of the project will obviously be impossible to protect

> MathBlocks
> MathComponents (or Math Components)
> Mathelactica
> MathModules
> Megginson
> modMath
> Nash
> Newton
> Pythagoras

The second objection of course holds for many names in the list.
We'd better follow Bertrand's suggestion.

Re: [Math] Technical objection (Was: [math] [POLL] new TLP name)

Ate Douma
On 2016-02-02 12:43, Gilles wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 10:06:40 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
>> Please select your top choice among the following suggested names
>> for the new [math]-based TLP.  All are welcome and encouraged to
>> respond.  This POLL will be open for 72 hours, at which time two
>> tallies will be presented:  one among those who have volunteered for
>> the new PMC and a second among all respondents.  Hopefully, one name
>> will emerge as consensus winner.  If not, I will kick off another
>> runoff poll among the top choices.   Please respond with your top
>> choice for the name.
>>
>> AjaMa
>> Epsilon
>> Erdos
>> Euclid
>> Euler
>> Gauss
>> JAML
>
> This choice:
>
>> Math
>
> can potentially lead to legal and/or technical problems:
>   * name of the JAR will basically be "math.jar", easily clashing
>     with local toolboxes (also named without much imagination)

apache-math-x.y.z.jar

will fix the name clashing trivially.

>   * name of the project will obviously be impossible to protect
>
>> MathBlocks
>> MathComponents (or Math Components)
>> Mathelactica
>> MathModules
>> Megginson
>> modMath
>> Nash
>> Newton
>> Pythagoras
>
> The second objection of course holds for many names in the list.
> We'd better follow Bertrand's suggestion.

Re: [Math] Technical objection (Was: [math] [POLL] new TLP name)

sebb-2-2
On 2 February 2016 at 12:11, Ate Douma <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2016-02-02 12:43, Gilles wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 10:06:40 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
>>>
>>> Please select your top choice among the following suggested names
>>> for the new [math]-based TLP.  All are welcome and encouraged to
>>> respond.  This POLL will be open for 72 hours, at which time two
>>> tallies will be presented:  one among those who have volunteered for
>>> the new PMC and a second among all respondents.  Hopefully, one name
>>> will emerge as consensus winner.  If not, I will kick off another
>>> runoff poll among the top choices.   Please respond with your top
>>> choice for the name.
>>>
>>> AjaMa
>>> Epsilon
>>> Erdos
>>> Euclid
>>> Euler
>>> Gauss
>>> JAML
>>

>> This choice:
>>
>>> Math
>>

>> can potentially lead to legal and/or technical problems:
>>   * name of the JAR will basically be "math.jar", easily clashing
>>     with local toolboxes (also named without much imagination)
>

> apache-math-x.y.z.jar
>
> will fix the name clashing trivially.
>

>>   * name of the project will obviously be impossible to protect

The name of the project will be

Apache Math

which *is* protectable.

This is no different from many other ASF projects which use common
names that already have meanings.

There are very few ASF projects whose bare names are protectable/protected

>>> MathBlocks
>>> MathComponents (or Math Components)
>>> Mathelactica
>>> MathModules
>>> Megginson
>>> modMath
>>> Nash
>>> Newton
>>> Pythagoras
>>

>> The second objection of course holds for many names in the list.
>> We'd better follow Bertrand's suggestion.
>>

>> Gilles

Re: [math] [POLL] new TLP name

James Carman
For the record, I really do like epsilon also.

On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 12:53:53 +0000, sebb wrote:

> On 2 February 2016 at 12:11, Ate Douma <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> This choice:

>>> can potentially lead to legal and/or technical problems:
>>>   * name of the JAR will basically be "math.jar", easily clashing
>>>     with local toolboxes (also named without much imagination)
>>

>> apache-math-x.y.z.jar

Just, this is not the current naming:
"bare" name -> bare.jar

>> will fix the name clashing trivially.
>>

>>>   * name of the project will obviously be impossible to protect
>
> The name of the project will be
>
> Apache Math
>
> which *is* protectable.

Then if unique names or acronyms that are easy to identify are no
valuable arguments, we could have had

    ASL

It's shorter than "Math", if that is really what people like in it
(since no other good points were made AFAICT).

> This is no different from many other ASF projects which use common
> names that already have meanings.
>
> There are very few ASF projects whose bare names are
> protectable/protected

Is it a good reason to add another one?

Having a not already used and not likely to be used name can prevent
time
wasted later in trying to enforce the protection.

Gilles

>>> The second objection of course holds for many names in the list.
>>> We'd better follow Bertrand's suggestion.
>>>

>>> Gilles

Re: [math] [POLL] new TLP name

Phil Steitz
My own vote is for Apache Math