[math] Preparing for v3.6.2 release

jodastephen
I've started to try and get a release out on the branch to get the
Java module name in. Since I haven't committed in many years this
isn't going to be easy.

I've successfully pushed a small fix directly to the MATH_3_X branch.
I've seen something suggesting that branches can't be deleted, which
makes me concerned, although I was able to delete my branch. Can
branches actually be deleted on git?

I've tried to bring the branch up to date with the v48 parent, https
and so on, but would appreciate someone more knowledgable checking for
anything stupid:
https://github.com/apache/commons-math/pull/113

The build passes on Travis, but it doesn't look like the Jenkins build
is triggered except by commits on MATH_3_X itself. And since I can't
see the setup of the Jenkins build, I have no way of knowing if I have
actually fixed the Jenkins build. Am I missing something?

In general, are we pushing straight to "master" or using PRs?

thanks
Stephen

Re: [math] Preparing for v3.6.2 release

Rob Tompkins
I’m generally a +1 for this change. I think that minimal upgrades to 3.X are a good idea. So long as other folks are at least a -0 on 3.X changes, I’m happy to help with release preparations.

-Rob

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 at 16:58, Stephen Colebourne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've started to try and get a release out on the branch to get the
> Java module name in. Since I haven't committed in many years this
> isn't going to be easy.
>
> I've successfully pushed a small fix directly to the MATH_3_X branch.
> I've seen something suggesting that branches can't be deleted, which
> makes me concerned, although I was able to delete my branch. Can
> branches actually be deleted on git?

AFAIK, yes.

The refs/tags/rel tree is protected; I think that's about it.

> I've tried to bring the branch up to date with the v48 parent, https
> and so on, but would appreciate someone more knowledgable checking for
> anything stupid:
> https://github.com/apache/commons-math/pull/113
>
> The build passes on Travis, but it doesn't look like the Jenkins build
> is triggered except by commits on MATH_3_X itself. And since I can't
> see the setup of the Jenkins build, I have no way of knowing if I have
> actually fixed the Jenkins build. Am I missing something?
>
> In general, are we pushing straight to "master" or using PRs?
>
> thanks
> Stephen

Re: [math] Preparing for v3.6.2 release

garydgregory
Note that right now, builds like 'mvn clean site' in git master fail
because of Checkstyle violations:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:3.7.1:site (default-site) on
project commons-rng-parent: failed to get report for
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-javadoc-plugin: Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-checkstyle-plugin:3.0.0:check (validate) on
project commons-rng-parent: You have 10 Checkstyle violations. -> [Help 1]

Can someone please fix those so we can run simple builds from the command
line?

Gary

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 1:16 PM sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 at 16:58, Stephen Colebourne <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > I've started to try and get a release out on the branch to get the
> > Java module name in. Since I haven't committed in many years this
> > isn't going to be easy.
> >
> > I've successfully pushed a small fix directly to the MATH_3_X branch.
> > I've seen something suggesting that branches can't be deleted, which
> > makes me concerned, although I was able to delete my branch. Can
> > branches actually be deleted on git?
>
> AFAIK, yes.
>
> The refs/tags/rel tree is protected; I think that's about it.
>
> > I've tried to bring the branch up to date with the v48 parent, https
> > and so on, but would appreciate someone more knowledgable checking for
> > anything stupid:
> > https://github.com/apache/commons-math/pull/113
> >
> > The build passes on Travis, but it doesn't look like the Jenkins build
> > is triggered except by commits on MATH_3_X itself. And since I can't
> > see the setup of the Jenkins build, I have no way of knowing if I have
> > actually fixed the Jenkins build. Am I missing something?
> >
> > In general, are we pushing straight to "master" or using PRs?
> >
> > thanks
> > Stephen

Re: [math] Preparing for v3.6.2 release

jodastephen
As far as I can tell, mvn site works on the branch with my PR. Shall I merge it?
I wasn't planning on fixing master.
Stephen

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 at 18:26, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Note that right now, builds like 'mvn clean site' in git master fail
> because of Checkstyle violations:
>
> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:3.7.1:site (default-site) on
> project commons-rng-parent: failed to get report for
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-javadoc-plugin: Failed to execute goal
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-checkstyle-plugin:3.0.0:check (validate) on
> project commons-rng-parent: You have 10 Checkstyle violations. -> [Help 1]
>
> Can someone please fix those so we can run simple builds from the command
> line?
>
> Gary
>

> On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 1:16 PM sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 at 16:58, Stephen Colebourne <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > I've started to try and get a release out on the branch to get the
> > > Java module name in. Since I haven't committed in many years this
> > > isn't going to be easy.
> > >
> > > I've successfully pushed a small fix directly to the MATH_3_X branch.
> > > I've seen something suggesting that branches can't be deleted, which
> > > makes me concerned, although I was able to delete my branch. Can
> > > branches actually be deleted on git?
> >
> > AFAIK, yes.
> >
> > The refs/tags/rel tree is protected; I think that's about it.
> >
> > > I've tried to bring the branch up to date with the v48 parent, https
> > > and so on, but would appreciate someone more knowledgable checking for
> > > anything stupid:
> > > https://github.com/apache/commons-math/pull/113
> > >
> > > The build passes on Travis, but it doesn't look like the Jenkins build
> > > is triggered except by commits on MATH_3_X itself. And since I can't
> > > see the setup of the Jenkins build, I have no way of knowing if I have
> > > actually fixed the Jenkins build. Am I missing something?
> > >
> > > In general, are we pushing straight to "master" or using PRs?
> > >
> > > thanks
> > > Stephen

Re: [math] Preparing for v3.6.2 release

jodastephen
The build upgrade has been merged, and the branch passes Travis and
Jenkins now. If anyone finds anything else broken on the MATH_3_X
branch I'd like to know.

I'll merge the Java 9 module name stuff soonish unless someone objects.
https://github.com/apache/commons-math/pull/107

Stephen

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 at 20:08, Stephen Colebourne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As far as I can tell, mvn site works on the branch with my PR. Shall I merge it?
> I wasn't planning on fixing master.
> Stephen
>

> On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 at 18:26, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Note that right now, builds like 'mvn clean site' in git master fail
> > because of Checkstyle violations:
> >
> > [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
> > org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:3.7.1:site (default-site) on
> > project commons-rng-parent: failed to get report for
> > org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-javadoc-plugin: Failed to execute goal
> > org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-checkstyle-plugin:3.0.0:check (validate) on
> > project commons-rng-parent: You have 10 Checkstyle violations. -> [Help 1]
> >
> > Can someone please fix those so we can run simple builds from the command
> > line?
> >
> > Gary
> >

> > On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 1:16 PM sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > AFAIK, yes.
> > >
> > > The refs/tags/rel tree is protected; I think that's about it.

Re: [math] Preparing for v3.6.2 release

Gilles Sadowski-2
Hi.

Le lun. 16 sept. 2019 à 19:26, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Note that right now, builds like 'mvn clean site' in git master fail
> because of Checkstyle violations:
>
> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:3.7.1:site (default-site) on
> project commons-rng-parent: failed to get report for
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-javadoc-plugin: Failed to execute goal
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-checkstyle-plugin:3.0.0:check (validate) on
> project commons-rng-parent: You have 10 Checkstyle violations. -> [Help 1]

?
The above error refers to "commons-rng-parent".

Running
 $ mvn clean site
within the "master" branch of "Commons Math" works fine on my side
(even with errors reported by CheckStyle).

Gilles