[math] StorelessCovariance

Patrick Meyer
I am workin on the StorelessCovariance per jira MATH-449. However, I'm
having a hard time using subversion via Netbeans. I have successfully
created the new classes and a JUnit test. However, when I run the test I
get the following message,

"caused an ERORR: Absent Code attribute in method that is not native or
abstract in class file org/apache/commons/math/TestUtils"

Any help would be appreciated. I have a lot to contribute to commons
math but my lack of experience with subversion is really hindering me.

Thanks,
Patrick

Re: [math] StorelessCovariance

Phil Steitz
On 8/17/11 9:15 AM, Patrick Meyer wrote:
> caused an ERORR: Absent Code attribute in method that is not
> native or abstract in class file org/apache/commons/math/TestUtils

First of all, THANKS for working on this!

This may not be what you want to hear or the fashionable response,
but I personally never use IDE integrated thingies for exactly this
kind of reason.  Most likely you have some kind of classpath or
compiled class cleanup problem.  Try cleaning everything and
starting with a fresh checkout and also checking that the IDE is not
bringing in an old [math] jar somehow.

As I said, because of this kind of silliness, I always just run "svn
co" or "svn up" from the command line and then "mvn clean test" from
the checked out trunk.  Then "svn diff > newPatch" to create patches
or inspect changes before committing.  Using -Dtest=ClassNameOfTest
is convenient if you don't want to run all of the tests.

Phil

Re: [math] StorelessCovariance

Luc Maisonobe
Hi Patrick,

Le 17/08/2011 18:15, Patrick Meyer a écrit :
> I am workin on the StorelessCovariance per jira MATH-449. However, I'm
> having a hard time using subversion via Netbeans. I have successfully
> created the new classes and a JUnit test. However, when I run the test I
> get the following message,
>
> "caused an ERORR: Absent Code attribute in method that is not native or
> abstract in class file org/apache/commons/math/TestUtils"

Do you have a complete implementation of JUnit in your classpath or only
the top level API ?

It seems similar to this:
<http://www.andrejkoelewijn.com/wp/2010/03/04/absent-code-attribute-in-method-that-is-not-native-or-abstract/>
or this
<http://dominikdorn.com/2010/05/maven-junit-classformaterror-absent-code-attribute/>
and hence elated to API and implementation separation.

Apache Commons Math does not have any runtime dependency and the only
test time dependency is JUnit.

Luc

> Any help would be appreciated. I have a lot to contribute to commons
> math but my lack of experience with subversion is really hindering me.
>
> Thanks,
> Patrick

Re: [math] StorelessCovariance

Greg Sterijevski
I am building in Netbeans and I believe that Luc is correct. I initially had
problems until I included the junit.jar. (junit-4.8.2.jar)

PS What is your approach to the covariance matrix? Are you building a sum of
squares matrix or keeping updates of the mean, ... etc?