[math] Vector math question

Oscar Bastidas
Hello,

I have some calculations that specifically involve:

1) calculating vectors from 3-dimensional x, y, z points in Euclidean space

2) performing dot products with the aforementioned vectors

3) finding vector length

Would someone please tell me if Apache Commons Math has tools to calculate
these quantities, and if so, what is the complete import statements to
summon these classes and their methods?  Thanks.

Oscar

Oscar Bastidas, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Research Associate
University of Minnesota

RE: [math] Vector math question

LE TELLIER Romain 211391
Hello,

Yes, Apache Commons Maths has what you need. Start by having a look at the org.apache.commons.math3.geometry.euclidean.threed package and the Vector3D class
https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-math/userguide/geometry.html

By the way, I have understand that this geometry package will be supplanted by the apache commons geometry (https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-geometry/)  but there is no release yet.
Does anybody knows what is the associated schedule?

Best regards,
Romain

Re: [math] Vector math question

sebb-2-2
On Tue, 28 May 2019 at 09:31, LE TELLIER Romain 211391
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Yes, Apache Commons Maths has what you need. Start by having a look at the org.apache.commons.math3.geometry.euclidean.threed package and the Vector3D class
> https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-math/userguide/geometry.html
>
> By the way, I have understand that this geometry package will be supplanted by the apache commons geometry (https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-geometry/)  but there is no release yet.
> Does anybody knows what is the associated schedule?

Please start a new thread for a new question.

> Best regards,
> Romain

Gilles Sadowski-2
Hi.

Le mar. 28 mai 2019 à 10:31, LE TELLIER Romain 211391
<[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> Yes, Apache Commons Maths has what you need. Start by having a look at the org.apache.commons.math3.geometry.euclidean.threed package and the Vector3D class
> https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-math/userguide/geometry.html

This Javadoc page may be more to the point:
    https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-math/javadocs/api-3.6.1/org/apache/commons/math3/geometry/euclidean/threed/Vector3D.html

> By the way, I have understand that this geometry package will be supplanted by the apache commons geometry (https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-geometry/)

Indeed.  The new class, equivalent to the above is:
    https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-geometry.git;a=blob;f=commons-geometry-euclidean/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/geometry/euclidean/threed/Vector3D.java

>  but there is no release yet.

True but the refactoring work is ongoing (see posts on the "dev" ML),
and reviewers are most welcome.

> Does anybody knows what is the associated schedule?

ASAP. ;-)
[The more people express an interest, the greater the motivation...]

And we are looking for actual use-cases (for integration testing and
in order to populate a "Get Started" userguide).

Also, the new "Commons Geometry" component will depend on the
new "Commons Numbers" component (that is as yet unreleased too).
Reviewers/contributors for this "core" dependency are also most
wanted in order to iron out the pending issues:
    https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/NUMBERS/issues/NUMBERS-74?filter=allopenissues

Please chime in on the "dev" ML if you'd like to help.