[math] porting other code bases into ours

[math] porting other code bases into ours

Rob Tompkins
Hello all,

I’m currently working on an issue in the [math] codebase, and the suggested fix is to port some python code over to Java from scipy (https://github.com/scipy/scipy <https://github.com/scipy/scipy>, https://scipy.org <https://scipy.org/>, license: BSD-3-clause). Clearly I can’t copy and paste their exact code in to our codebase as it’s python, but clearly I’m lifting their ideas.

So, what is and isn’t allowed in this case? Do I simply go through the exercise of porting the code over and make a reference or is there something else that I should do?

Cheers,
-Rob

Re: [math] porting other code bases into ours

Stefan Bodewig
On 2017-05-16, Rob Tompkins wrote:

> I’m currently working on an issue in the [math] codebase, and the suggested fix is to port some python code over to Java from scipy (https://github.com/scipy/scipy <https://github.com/scipy/scipy>, https://scipy.org <https://scipy.org/>, license: BSD-3-clause). Clearly I can’t copy and paste their exact code in to our codebase as it’s python, but clearly I’m lifting their ideas.

> So, what is and isn’t allowed in this case? Do I simply go through the exercise of porting the code over and make a reference or is there something else that I should do?

I've been doing similar things in [compress] coming from C rather than
Python. My code is usually not a verbatim port but rather a Java rewrite
of the ideas of the original algorithm.

AFAIU a straight port would be fine as well as the license is
compatible. You may want to keep pointers to the original code base and
license with your code.

Stefan

Re: [math] porting other code bases into ours

Rob Tompkins

> On May 16, 2017, at 10:10 AM, Stefan Bodewig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 2017-05-16, Rob Tompkins wrote:
>
>> I’m currently working on an issue in the [math] codebase, and the suggested fix is to port some python code over to Java from scipy (https://github.com/scipy/scipy <https://github.com/scipy/scipy>, https://scipy.org <https://scipy.org/>, license: BSD-3-clause). Clearly I can’t copy and paste their exact code in to our codebase as it’s python, but clearly I’m lifting their ideas.
>
>> So, what is and isn’t allowed in this case? Do I simply go through the exercise of porting the code over and make a reference or is there something else that I should do?
>
> I've been doing similar things in [compress] coming from C rather than
> Python. My code is usually not a verbatim port but rather a Java rewrite
> of the ideas of the original algorithm.
>
> AFAIU a straight port would be fine as well as the license is
> compatible. You may want to keep pointers to the original code base and
> license with your code.

Many thanks for that,
-Rob

> Stefan

Re: [math] porting other code bases into ours

Matt Sicker
Depending on license, you may also want or need to add something in your
NOTICE.txt file as well. Could be handy either way as a pointer to the
project whose algorithms this one is based on.

On 16 May 2017 at 09:11, Rob Tompkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On May 16, 2017, at 10:10 AM, Stefan Bodewig <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 2017-05-16, Rob Tompkins wrote:
> >
> >> I’m currently working on an issue in the [math] codebase, and the
> suggested fix is to port some python code over to Java from scipy (
> https://github.com/scipy/scipy <https://github.com/scipy/scipy>,
> https://scipy.org <https://scipy.org/>, license: BSD-3-clause). Clearly I
> can’t copy and paste their exact code in to our codebase as it’s python,
> but clearly I’m lifting their ideas.
> >
> >> So, what is and isn’t allowed in this case? Do I simply go through the
> exercise of porting the code over and make a reference or is there
> something else that I should do?
> >
> > I've been doing similar things in [compress] coming from C rather than
> > Python. My code is usually not a verbatim port but rather a Java rewrite
> > of the ideas of the original algorithm.
> >
> > AFAIU a straight port would be fine as well as the license is
> > compatible. You may want to keep pointers to the original code base and
> > license with your code.
> >

> Many thanks for that,
> -Rob
>
> > Stefan

Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: [math] porting other code bases into ours

sebb-2-2
On 16 May 2017 at 16:14, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Depending on license, you may also want or need to add something in your
> NOTICE.txt file as well. Could be handy either way as a pointer to the
> project whose algorithms this one is based on.

The NOTICE file is for *required* attributions only.
Don't add anything to it that is not required.

http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#mod-notice